If people are looking for a new mattress, then they should know that there are a few different ways to get a great value. If people just walk into a store and buy a mattress without getting any sort of discount, then they are probably leaving some money on the table.
Why is that? Well, it’s because people can either shop online or try to find the best mattress sales in their local area at retail stores. How can people get good mattress sales online? Well, I’ve been monitoring the online-only companies for some time now. There are companies that do things in three main buckets.
- Some companies believe they have saved the customer so much money that they just never provide discounts or have sales. The online-only business model cuts out the middleman and a lot of unnecessary costs. This allows them to price their product at a significantly lower level than comparable mattresses found in stores.
- Some online mattress companies have a referral program where people can save a set amount if they buy through the person’s referral link. The amount typically never changes, and it’s normally around $50.
- Some companies will run actual sales depending on the time of year. As the New Year just passed, for example, I saw two big online companies running special promotions.
When people buy online, whether they are getting an additional discount via a sale or not, they are definitely saving a lot of money. The story of cost savings and cutting out the middleman is all basically true.
If people buy from a retail store, then they really want to pay attention to make sure they get a great deal. There are two main types of sales that people should watch out for.
- Predictable sales that happen around the holidays and happen every year- Memorial Day, President’s Day, Christmas time, etc. are all times of year that are typically known as big for mattress sales.
- Random unpredictable sales- You can’t really predict these, and a lot of times they exist for only a very short period of time. For example, I just saw a TV advertisement for a “one day only” sale at one of the very biggest retailers. There was no explanation for why the sale was happening that day at all. It appeared to just be an impromptu sale.
It’s pretty straightforward advice. You should either shop online to get great savings, or you should do some research to find out when the predictable sales are going to be. If you do that, then you’ll be well on your way to getting a great value.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.