If people sleep exclusively on their back, side, or stomach, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find the most appropriate mattress for them. They can find the perfect firmness to give them the support or comfort they desire in any specific sleeping position.
People who switch positions at night may find it more difficult to get an awesome mattress because a mattress that is great for side sleeping, for example, may not necessarily be so great for back or stomach sleeping. Fortunately, there are a good number of mattresses that are excellent fits for combination sleepers, and this article will highlight those mattresses and attempt to indicate what type of sleeper they would be most appropriate for.
The Best Mattresses For Combination Sleepers
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva
- Best Customizable Mattress – Helix Midnight
- Best Innerspring Mattress – WinkBed
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Bear Hybrid
- Best Foam Mattress – Casper
- Best Cooling Mattress – GhostBed
- Best Firm Mattress – Cocoon Chill
- Best Mattress For Back Pain – Amerisleep AS3
- Best Soft Mattress – Nolah Original
- Best Value Mattress – Brooklyn Bedding Signature
Each of these mattresses make a great fit for people who move around often in their sleep. Take note of our superlatives we’ve assigned to each mattress to help you narrow your options. If you’re still left wanting more recommendations, try out our mattress quiz to receive tailored recommendations.
The Saatva mattress is an innerspring mattress with a Euro-style pillow-top. This type of mattress is usually a good option for combination sleepers because you get the support of two sets of coils and the comfort of a pillow-top.
When I lie on my back on the Saatva, my hips sink into the pillow-top just the right amount, and while sleeping on my side, the pillow-top relieves pressure on my shoulders and hips. While stomach sleeping, I feel great support and my hips don’t sink into the mattress excessively.
The mattress is medium-firm, which is typically a perfect firmness for combination sleepers, and in the end, this mattress has a fantastic balance of comfort and support.
What Makes The Saatva Mattress Stand Out?
- It features two layers of coils so it is a very supportive mattress. Back and stomach sleepers of many sizes should feel properly supported by the Saatva.
- The Euro-style pillow-top is plush and very soft, which gives the mattress a good amount of pressure relief.
- The two sets of coils leave quite a bit of room for airflow, which means the mattress should sleep cooler than many foam bed-in-a-box mattresses.
- The coils and other high-quality materials make this a durable mattress. It is quite affordable and should last people for a good amount of time.
The full breakdown and Saatva mattress review is available here.
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $200 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best Customizable Mattress
When it comes to finding the best mattress for combination sleeping, there really is no one perfect fit for everyone. If you have no idea what you need for your situation, you should check out the Helix mattresses.
With Helix, you have two options: you can choose from one of their many mattress models, or you can take a sleep quiz. If you take their quiz and say that you are a combination sleeper, they will recommend the right model for you.
They might recommend the Helix Midnight, their most popular model. It has a great balance of comfort and support and should be a good match for all three sleeping positions.
What Makes The Helix Midnight Stand Out?
- It is the best customizable mattress for combination sleepers.
- Being a hybrid, it should be a breathable, cooling mattress.
- You can opt for a Luxe upgrade if you need more comfort or cooling features.
The full breakdown and Helix Midnight mattress review is available here.
The Helix Midnight is a memory foam hybrid mattress that offers a great balance of comfort and support. Click the button for the save up to $200 and get 2 free pillows.
Best Innerspring Mattress
Like the Saatva, the WinkBed is an innerspring mattress with two layers of coils and a Euro-style pillow-top. Also like the Saatva, it offers a great balance of comfort and support. Because of this, it should be a great match for combination sleepers of many sizes.
While back sleeping, people should feel their hips sink into that soft pillow-top, and at the same time, the two coil layers should keep people well supported. When people are on their side, the pillow-top will relieve pressure on their shoulders and hips. While on their stomach, those coils will also support them.
While the WinkBed is similar to the Saatva, it has even more of a luxury feel. The Tencel fabric in the cover, the Hypersoft foam, and the premium gel foam make this a tremendous luxury pick.
Overall, this is one of the best innerspring mattresses for combination sleepers!
What Makes The WinkBed Mattress Stand Out?
- It has two coil layers and should be a very supportive mattress, even for larger people. There is also a WinkBed Plus model that is designed specifically for heavy sleepers.
- The WinkBed is the best innerspring mattress for combination sleepers.
- The mattress also balances support and comfort. The coils are high-grade and supportive, while the pillow-top is plush and pressure-relieving.
- The WinkBed should be one of the best mattresses for stomach sleeping.
- The coils promote airflow throughout the mattress, so hot sleepers should be sleeping cool on the WinkBeds.
- It has a plush, luxury hotel mattress feel.
The full breakdown and WinkBed mattress review is available here.
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $300 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below.
Best Hybrid Mattress
The Bear Hybrid is a mattress that is smartly constructed to have great pressure relief and support at the same time. The comfort part of the mattress features premium foams that relieve pressure quite well, and overall it is a very comfortable mattress. At the same time, the support part of the mattress features individually pocketed coils that are very supportive.
Because of the unique hybrid mattress construction, it is a good fit for multiple sleeping positions and is especially good for side and back sleeping. The pressure relief was great on the side, but because of the coils the mattress also felt very supportive when I was on my back.
This is going to be the best hybrid mattress for combination sleepers. It offers that perfect balance of comfort and support that combo sleepers are looking for.
What Makes The Bear Hybrid Mattress Stand Out?
- It features premium foams in the comfort layers that have great pressure relief, and the pocketed coils in the support layer make the mattress very supportive at the same time. It really is one of the best hybrid mattresses for combination sleepers.
- The mattress is especially good for side and back sleeping. Side sleepers will find the pressure relief to be great and back sleepers will definitely get more than enough support.
- The mattress has a Celliant cover, which can potentially bring sleepers certain health benefits and provide a cooler night of sleep.
- It’s one of the best mattresses for athletes and active people.
The full breakdown and Bear Hybrid mattress review is available here.
The Bear Hybrid has a great balance of comfort and support. It is a great match for back and side sleepers. Mattress customers can get 25% off the Bear Hybrid and 2 free Cloud pillows. Use code CLARITY25 to save.
Best Foam Mattress
The Casper is going to be one of the best foam mattresses if you are a combination sleeper. This is because of its Zoned Support system – it makes it feel firmer and more supportive when you are back and stomach sleeping and softer when you are side sleeping.
On the Casper, you should feel great while back sleeping, because your hips will sink into the mattress, but the firmer center area keeps them from sinking in too far. When you are on your side, you should feel great pressure relief, especially in the shoulder area. When you move to your stomach, the center area also should keep you properly supported.
The Casper is also very responsive, because the top layer contains AirScape foam with a good amount of bounce. This makes it easy to move around on the mattress without the feeling of getting stuck. Even if people change positions often throughout the night, the mattress should quickly respond.
What Makes The Casper Mattress Stand Out?
- The transition layer is zoned, meaning the center part of the mattress is firmer than the rest. This means the heavier parts of your body will have proper support, while the rest of the mattress will stay softer and pressure-relieving.
- The top layer of foam is open-celled and breathable, which means people get a foam feel without the heat-trapping effects of some memory foams. Hot sleepers should feel comfortable on the Casper throughout the night.
- The Casper is a great value, considering how complex the design is and how affordable it is. If someone wants a value combination sleeper mattress, the Casper should work for them.
The full breakdown and Casper mattress review is available here.
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. You can save 15% on a Casper mattress by clicking the link below and using code MEMDAY.
Best Cooling Mattress
Combination sleepers, like all types of sleepers, might struggle with sleeping hot. One of the best cooling mattresses for combination sleepers has to be the GhostBed Classic mattress. It features aerated latex foam plus gel-infused memory foam. Both these materials ensure that the top of the mattress feels nice and cool.
The GhostBed also has an excellent balance of comfort and support for combo sleepers. The mattress is balanced for back sleepers, soft enough for some side sleepers, and firm enough for stomach sleepers. While it is on the firmer end, it should be a good fit for all three sleeping positions.
Finally, for such a nice latex mattress, the GhostBed is a fantastic deal. For a Queen-size, it is priced under $1300. It features synthetic latex instead of all-natural latex, so GhostBed can offer the mattress for a more affordable price.
What Makes The GhostBed Stand Out?
- The mattress is firmer but also a good fit for multiple sleeping positions.
- The GhostBed’s advanced cooling features should keep you from overheating at night.
- It is a high-quality latex mattress sold for a value price.
Read the full GhostBed mattress review
Ghostbed is a very supportive mattress that is ideal for back and stomach sleepers, and it is also a great value - right now, customers can get 30% off the GhostBed and 2 free pillows.
Best Firm Mattress For Combination Sleepers
While medium-firm mattresses are usually ideal for combination sleeping, there are some great firm options as well. Fans of firm mattresses or those who just need more support should be sleeping comfortably on the Cocoon Chill mattress.
The Cocoon Chill comes in an all-foam model and a hybrid model. Both mattresses are quite firm and really make it feel like you are sleeping on top of the mattress. At the same time, they both feature some high-density memory foam on top. This gives you the right amount of give for when you’re back sleeping.
Finally, as the name suggests, the Cocoon Chill is designed with hot sleepers in mind. The cover contains Phase Change Material which is advanced and designed to pull heat away from your body.
What Makes The Cocoon Chill Stand Out?
- The Cocoon Chill and Cocoon Chill Hybrid are both firmer models and offer great support.
- The mattresses’ Perfect Fit memory provides just a bit of pressure relief on top of the mattress.
- The Cocoon Chill features advanced cooling materials and should sleep as cool as advertised.
Read the full Cocoon mattress review
The Cocoon by Sealy is a comfortable mattress that is also a great value. You can save up to $660 on the Cocoon by Sealy Chill Memory Foam mattress by using our coupon.
Best Mattress For Back Pain
The Amerisleep AS3 is Amerisleep’s most popular model. It is right in the middle of their firmness range and provides that balance of comfort and support that combination sleepers should be looking for.
At the same time, it is a great match for people with back pain. This is because the Amerisleep features a HIVE transition layer. Basically, this is a layer of zoned foam that is firmer and softer in different areas. It should help keep the spine neutrally aligned no matter what position you are sleeping in.
The Amerisleep AS3 is also going to offer a foam feel without making you feel stuck or trapped. The mattress’s Bio-Pur foam lets you sink in, but it is also quite responsive. You get the comfort you are looking for, but you should have no trouble moving around at night.
What Makes The Amerisleep AS3 Stand Out?
- It is medium-firm and an excellent option for combination sleepers.
- Amerisleep offers five mattress models with different firmnesses.
- The Amerisleep AS3 is the best mattress for combination sleepers with back pain
- The Amerisleep AS3’s zoned transition layer is designed to align the spine and prevent back pain.
- Bio-Pur foam is more cooling and responsive than standard memory foam.
Read the full Amerisleep AS3 mattress review
The Amerisleep AS3 is the brand's most popular model and offers an excellent balance of comfort and support. Get 30% off the Amerisleep AS3 mattress by using code AS30.
Best Soft Mattress For Combo Sleepers
If someone is a combination sleeper who likes a softer foam mattress, the Nolah Original might be for them. It incorporates proprietary AirFoam, which is a soft, pressure-relieving alternative to memory foam. AirFoam is designed to be more breathable and responsive than standard memory foam.
Because of this, the Nolah should be one of the best cooling mattresses for combination sleepers. It should offer nice comfort without trapping too much heat. In addition, the bouncy AirFoam should make it easier to switch positions at night.
While the mattress is a bit too soft for stomach sleepers, combination sleepers who switch between their back and side should find what they need on the Nolah. When they are back sleeping, their hips sink into the soft top layer, but then they find support on the firmer layers beneath. When they are on their side, the mattress feels very comfortable, so people should feel great pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
However, I will note that heavier people might feel some pressure when they are on their side. They could press through the thinner comfort layer and hit the support layers. If you are a heavier person, consider the Nolah 12″ model, which features a much thicker comfort layer.
What Makes The Nolah Mattress Stand Out?
- Even though it’s a softer mattress, the Nolah is a great match for back and side sleepers. It is supportive enough when you are on your back, and pressure-relieving when you are on your side.
- The Nolah is a very affordable foam mattress. Considering how durable its components are, this is a value, long-lasting mattress.
- The AirFoam is designed to dissipate heat, and the cover is also cooling, so hot sleepers should be sleeping cool on the Nolah mattress.
- Heavier sleepers also have the Nolah 12″ model as an option, which has a thicker comfort layer.
The full breakdown and Nolah mattress review is available here.
Nolah has a VERY comfortable mattress that is especially good for side sleepers. You can get $260 off the Nolah mattress and 2 free pillows by clicking the link below.
Best Value Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
If you are a combination sleeper but you don’t want to break the bank, take a look at the Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid mattress. It comes from Brooklyn Bedding, producer of some of the best value mattresses out there.
It is a hybrid mattress that comes in three firmness options: Soft, Medium, and Firm. Combination sleepers should consider the Medium model, as it has the best balance of comfort and support. You should feel supported when you are back sleeping and stomach sleeping and comfortable when you are side sleeping.
Hot sleepers should also like the Brooklyn Bedding as its hybrid construction will allow for an excellent amount of airflow. In addition, it is quite bouncy, making it easy to switch positions during the night.
What Makes The Brooklyn Bedding Signature Mattress Stand Out?
- It comes from Brooklyn Bedding, so it is a high-quality mattress sold for a value price.
- The Signature comes in three firmnesses, giving you comfort and support options.
- It is a breathable mattress that should be a good fit for hot sleepers.
Read the full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress review
Brooklyn Bedding has amazing products that are sold at very affordable prices. Click the button and use code MEMORIAL25 to save 25% on your purchase.
What Should People Consider When Buying A Mattress For Combination Sleeping?
There are a few things people should think about when purchasing a combination sleeper mattress. There is no one mattress for everyone, but if people take the following criteria into account, they should be able to find the best mattress for them.
- Weight and size. When people are choosing any kind of mattress, they should always take their weight and size into account, and if they are looking for a combination sleeper mattress, it is even more important. One’s weight affects how far they sink into the mattress and also how much support they require overall. If someone is lighter, a medium-firm memory foam mattress could be a good fit for numerous sleeping positions. However, if people are heavier, they might need a more supportive hybrid or innerspring mattress with a softer top layer. With a combination sleeper mattress, consumers are always seeking a balance of comfort and support. So, people should think about their weight and just how much comfort and support they really need.
- The mattress’s firmness- If someone sleeps in one position all night, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find the right mattress firmness for them. Soft mattresses are usually best for side sleepers; medium-firm mattresses are better for back sleepers; and firmer mattresses are typically a good fit for stomach sleepers. When it comes to combination sleeper mattresses, people should be looking for something in the medium-firm range to accommodate multiple sleeping positions. This should ensure the mattress is soft enough for side sleeping and supportive enough for back and stomach sleeping. (Also keep in mind that no matter the mattress, it’s always a good idea to keep a pillow in between your knees while side sleeping.)
- Sleeping positions- If someone is a combination sleeper, they also need to think about which positions they switch between. Are they a side and back sleeper, or are they a back and stomach sleeper? These positions will affect the firmness they should be looking for. They should make sure the mattress is a good fit for all the preferred sleeping positions. For instance, if someone sleeps on their side and back, they might want something that is pressure-relieving and supportive. If they sleep on their back and stomach, they will probably want something more supportive. If someone sleeps in all three positions throughout the night, they want to find that perfect balance of comfort and support.
- The mattress type- There are a few types of mattresses that are usually a better fit for combination sleepers. Hybrid and innerspring mattresses, for example, with a pillow-top are often a great choice for combination sleepers. Consumers get the support of coils and the comfort and pressure relief of a pillow-top or foam layer. If people want a foam mattress, they should consider one with a zoned construction or a thinner comfort layer. People don’t want to sink too far into the mattress when they move to your back or stomach, because then they might not get enough support.
- The responsiveness of the mattress- When people move around at night, they want to know if their mattress will immediately respond to their new sleeping position. If someone chooses a slow-moving memory foam mattress, it might take some time for the mattress to conform to the shape of the body. However, if people choose a bouncier mattress with responsive foam or latex in its comfort layer, they should be able to move around without feeling stuck or uncomfortable.
- Motion transfer- If someone needs the best mattress for couples, it is especially important to consider how the mattress will handle motion transfer. If one or both partners are combination sleepers, will one’s movements disturb the another, or will the mattress absorb this motion? When it comes to dealing with motion transfer, memory foam mattresses are usually the best because of their chemical nature. However, pure memory foam mattresses aren’t always the best choice for combination sleepers. People should try to find a mattress that will cut down on motion transfer while also meeting their other combination sleeper needs.
Here’s an overview of the best mattresses for combination sleepers:
|Helix Midnight||Best Customizable Mattress|
|WinkBed||Best Innerspring Mattress|
|Bear Hybrid||Best Hybrid Mattress|
|Casper||Best Foam Mattress|
|GhostBed||Best Cooling Mattress|
|Cocoon Chill||Best Firm Mattress|
|Amerisleep AS3||Best Mattress For Back Pain|
|Nolah||Best Soft Mattress|
|Brooklyn Bedding Signature||Best Value Mattress|
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.