Let’s face it: mattress shopping doesn’t always work out the way you want. Sometimes a mattress is just too firm. If you’re at a point where you can’t get a new mattress, a pillow top mattress topper can be a budget friendly solution!
I’ve compiled a list of the best pillow top mattress toppers for the year, and there’s something for everyone! Keep reading to find out our top picks.
Our Top Picks for the Best Pillow Top Mattress Toppers
- Editor’s Pick – Saatva Memory Foam Topper
- Best Pillow Top Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers – Tempur Adapt Topper
- Best Pillow Top Mattress Topper for Back Pain – Coop Retreat Topper
- Best Cooling Pillow Top Mattress Topper – ViscoSoft Memory Foam Topper
- Best Plush Pillow Top Mattress Topper – Brooklinen Down Topper
- Best Soft Pillow Top Mattress Topper – Layla Memory Foam Topper
- Best King Size Pillow Top Mattress Topper – Helix Plush
- Best Queen Pillow Top Mattress Topper – Puffy Topper
- Best Down Pillow Top Mattress Topper – Parachute Down Mattress Topper
- Best Organic Pillow Top Mattress Topper – Avocado Latex Topper
Saatva Memory Foam Topper
Saavta is known for its luxurious feeling pillow top mattresses. But if you’re wanting to refresh your mattress and make it feel soft and plush, without buying a brand new mattress, this topper is a good option!
It’s made from a single piece of slow-moving memory foam. One of the best things about this topper is that it has a cotton cover and straps which can be attached to your mattress with elastic straps.
The foam has been infused with graphite, which is a great addition for hot sleepers. It will draw heat away from your body, so you won’t have to worry about overheating.
What Makes the Saatva Memory Foam Topper Stand Out?
- You have 180 days to test out this topper, giving you plenty of time to decide if it’s for you.
- It’s made of a single slab of memory foam, and will provide pressure relief.
- Foam can trap heat, but this topper has a graphite infusion to prevent overheating.
Read our full Saatva memory foam topper review.
The Saatva mattress topper is a comfortable option for back sleepers, side sleepers, and hot sleepers.
Best for Side Sleepers
Side sleepers who find themselves sleeping on a firm bed probably will need some pressure relief. And the TEMPUR Adapt topper is full of slow-moving TEMPUR material, the proprietary memory foam of TEMPUR-Pedic, to offer some of the best pressure relief for side sleepers.
And if you’re a side sleeper who frequently changes from one side to the other like I do, you can rest easy knowing this topper isn’t going anywhere. It has Staytight™ Corner straps to firmly attach the topper to your bed.
This topper should last you a long time, too! It has a removable, machine-washable outer cover for easy care and can protect the foam core from dust and allergens. Not only that, TEMPUR offers a 10-year warranty to back it up!
What Makes the TEMPUR Adapt Stand Out?
- It’s a 3” tall slab of memory foam that provides exceptional pressure relief for side sleepers.
- If you’re a hot sleeper, you have the option to upgrade it to have a cooling cover.
- It’s a very long lasting topper with a long warranty to match.
Read our full TEMPUR Adapt topper review.
The TEMPUR-Adapt Topper is a soft memory foam mattress topper. It should be a good match for back sleepers, side sleepers, and fans of slow-moving memory foam.
Best for Back Pain
COOP Retreat Topper
If you’re dealing with back pain on your current mattress, a topper can help relieve some of that pain. Some toppers can be single slabs that start to sag after a while, but one unique topper I’ve encountered that won’t sag is the COOP Retreat Mattress Topper.
This topper has a baffle box construction to it, meaning the outer cover is stitched with a box design. Each box is full of a soft, plush, memory foam and microfiber fill that will give you great pressure relief. The baffle box construction keeps it from shifting or clumping in areas so it’ll stay evenly distributed.
This is another topper that has straps that will firmly attach to your mattress to keep it from shifting. And if you have allergies, this is a great option because it’s hypoallergenic, too.
What Makes the COOP Retreat Topper Stand Out?
- The baffle box construction keeps the fill evenly distributed around your mattress.
- It provides pressure relief and an extra layer from coils potentially poking through the mattress, which can help alleviate pain.
- It’s a hypoallergenic pick for anyone with sensitive allergies.
Full review to come!
The COOP Home Goods Retreat Topper features a baffle box construction that's full of shredded memory foam and microfiber clusters. It gives this topper a super plush feel, and the box construction keeps it from lumping and clumping. Sleep in comfort with this topper!
Viscosoft Memory Foam Topper
One of the drawbacks to foam toppers is that they can trap heat. But that’s why many brands have started using gel infusions, amongst other methods, to keep sleepers from overheating.
One such topper comes from ViscoSoft! This topper comes in 3” or 4” options that will provide new life to an old mattress or give exceptional pressure relief to a firm mattress, all while keeping you cool.
It has a gel infusion in the foam, which rests inside a breathable, machine-washable cover, which attaches to your mattress with handy elastic straps.
What Makes the ViscoSoft Memory Foam Topper Stand Out?
- The gel infusion will pull body heat away from you, keeping you from overheating.
- The cover is breathable so air can flow through the topper.
- ViscoSoft offers a 5-year warranty, so it should last that long with good care.
Read our full ViscoSoft memory foam topper review.
The ViscoSoft mattress topper will soften a firm mattress by 2 points and provide excellent body contouring and pressure relief. Click the link below to save 25% on your purchase!
Brooklinen Down Topper
Down clusters are the perfect material to make something feel soft and plush. Brooklinen combines white duck down with duck feathers in its down topper to add plush comfort, and a little bit of support, too.
The Brooklinen Down Topper features a baffle box design, which keeps the down fill in place and prevents it from clumping in one specific area. This also gives the comforter a bit of loft, allowing the down to expand when fluffed.
This topper is perfect if you’re on the hunt for a pillow top topper; Brooklinen mentions it works best on mattresses that don’t have a pillow top!
What Makes the Brooklinen Down Topper Stand Out?
- It’s full of plush down and feathers that give it a soft, cloudlike feel.
- The baffle box construction prevents the fill from clumping.
- It’s a great temperature regulating topper–it can insulate in the cool months, but has a breathable cotton cover so it won’t trap heat in the warm months.
Full review to come!
If you love the plush comfort of down to surround you while you sleep, you can find it with the Brooklinen down mattress topper! This topper combines the plush comfort of down clusters with supportive, plump feathers to soften your bed, and cradle you in soft, feathery goodness.
Layla Memory Foam Topper
One of the main reasons we get mattress toppers is to soften a mattress that’s too firm. Layla makes a great flippable mattress, with an incredibly soft side to it. But you can also find that soft side of the mattress with the brand’s topper!
This topper is a little thinner than others, but it’s still incredibly soft and slow-moving. But because it’s a topper and not a full mattress, it’s still really easy to move around on, so you’re not going to feel trapped by the foam.
Layla has infused copper gel into the foam that makes up this topper, which will pull heat away from your body. And like most toppers on this list, you can use elastic straps to secure it to your mattress.
What Makes the Layla Memory Foam Topper Stand Out?
- It feels very soft and slow-moving, but still easy to move around on.
- It won’t trap heat thanks to a breathable cover and a copper gel infusion.
- Layla offers a 120-night trial period and a 5-year warranty on this topper.|
Read our full Layla memory foam topper review.
The Layla Memory Foam mattress topper features cooling copper and heat-dissipating Thermogel, so it should be a good option for hot sleepers.
Best King Size
King-sized options are always going to run you the most money. There’s a lot of material after all! But if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option for a big bed, look at the Helix Plush topper.
The Helix Plush topper will make your bed feel like a pillow top. It’s not a very thick topper, but it will still soften your mattress. It’s made up of soft, plush-feeling microfibers that are hypoallergenic and breathable.
This topper won’t trap heat, either because the outer cover is made of a polyester and bamboo viscose blend. Unlike other toppers, this topper attaches to your mattress with a skirt.
What Makes the Helix Plush Topper Stand Out?
- It’s a great option for a king-sized bed because both king options cost less than $200.
- It’s thin, but still provides a soft, pillow top feel to your mattress.
- The presence of bamboo viscose makes it breathable and moisture-wicking – a good choice for hot sleepers.
Read our full Helix Plush topper review.
The Helix mattress topper adds a touch of plushness and a luxurious pillow top feel. It's made with hypoallergenic and durable materials. Click the link below for the best deal!
When it comes to sleeping on a cloud, it doesn’t get better than Puffy. If you’re looking for cloud-like comfort for your queen-sized bed, the Puffy memory foam topper is a great choice.
This topper actually comes with a skirt to attach itself to your bed, so you definitely won’t have to worry about this topper shifting around while you sleep.
It’s hypoallergenic, so if you have sensitive allergies this won’t trigger them. It also won’t trap too much heat because it features bamboo in its outer cover. Bamboo is great for hot sleepers because it’s moisture-wicking and very breathable!
What Makes the Puffy Topper Stand Out?
- It firmly attaches to your mattress with a skirt and anti-slip grips under the topper.
- It won’t trap heat, so it’s a good choice for hot sleepers.
- Puffy offers a 101-night trial and a lifetime warranty so it should last you a very long time!
Full review to come!
The Puffy Topper is a single piece of memory foam that will soften your mattress and add some great pressure relief. It comes inside a removable cover that attaches to your bed with a skirt, and that cover is machine-washable!
Parachute Down Topper
Down clusters feel luxuriously soft and plush. One of the best down toppers to add some pillow like comfort to your mattress comes from Parachute.
This topper is 3” of plush down comfort and works very well for back sleepers looking for a pillow top for their mattress. This topper features a baffle box construction, which means the down will stay evenly distributed throughout the topper.
It also features a luxurious, breathable sateen cotton cover. The sateen cotton cover feels very soft to the touch, and adds a breathable component to the topper.
What Makes the Parachute Down Mattress Topper Stand Out?
- It features a thick layer of down clusters for plush comfort and a supportive layer of feathers at the bottom.
- The baffle box construction means the down won’t shift and clump, staying evenly distributed.
- Parachute offers a 3-year warranty on this topper.
Read our full Parachute Down Mattress Topper review.
The Parachute Down is a soft, fluffy mattress topper that could be a great match for hot sleepers.
Avocado Latex Topper
If you’re on a mission to become a more eco-friendly shopper, Avocado is one of the best organic brands on the market. The Avocado Latex topper is the best topper for anyone looking for an eco-friendly organic option.
It’s made up of responsive latex foam that’s very easy to move around on. And it won’t trap heat thanks to latex’s natural breathability. It also features a breathable cotton cover, and there’s a temperature regulating layer of wool.
This is also one of the few toppers that can firm up a mattress that’s too soft! While you can certainly get this in a plush version, Avocado offers a firm option of this topper.
What Makes the Avocado Latex Topper Stand Out?
- Avocado acquires many certifications to ensure that its products are 100% organic and responsibly sourced.
- This comes in two firmness options, which can work for all sleeping positions.
- It won’t trap heat thanks to many breathable components.
Read our full Avocado Latex topper review.
The Avocado is a durable latex mattress topper that is a good choice for those who want something organic and eco-friendly.
What to Consider When Buying a New Pillow Top Mattress Topper
We’ve got a more detailed buyers guide in our Best Mattress Toppers list, but there are few things to cover when talking about pillow top mattress toppers.
What is a Pillow Top Mattress Topper?
Similar to a pillow top mattress, pillow top mattress toppers are going to add some plush, pillowy comfort to the top of your mattress. The only difference is that the toppers can be removed and can go on just about anything!
Pillow tops are made from a variety of materials, but today more often than not, they’re made from memory foam. Many of the toppers on this list are made from slow-moving memory foam, but there are some down and latex foam toppers here!
Regardless of materials the goal is the same: to make your mattress feel soft and pillowy.
How to Clean a Pillow Top Mattress Topper
Not all toppers are made the same, and if you’re trying to squeeze some extra life out of your mattress, keeping your topper clean can help its longevity.
Caring for your topper ranges from spot cleaning only to machine washing.. Toppers like the Saatva, COOP, and Parachute toppers are spot clean only. These toppers have materials or covers that can’t be put in a machine.
Toppers on this list that feature a machine-washable cover include: Puffy, Helix, and TEMPUR-Pedic.
Can you put a mattress topper over a pillow top mattress?
You certainly can! The name of the game is softening your mattress after all. And many of the toppers on this list will attach with elastic straps or a skirt.
However, some brands, such as Brooklinen, make a point to mention that its topper will perform the best if you’re putting over a mattress that doesn’t already have a pillow top.
How thick is a pillow top mattress topper?
Pillow tops don’t tend to be very thick when they’re part of the mattress itself. And toppers come in a range of thicknesses, from 2” to 4.” All the toppers on this list fall within this range, and some come with different height options to fit your needs.
Tony is a staff writer at Mattress Clarity where he analyzes sleep products and appears in review videos. He earned a B.A in English from Sam Houston State University and a M.A in Mass Communication from Texas State University.
When he isn’t writing about sleep products, Tony loves to unwind with a good book or can be found playing Pokemon Go outside with his friends, or cuddling with his cat, Penguin. He’s always down to try a new, local restaurant and try new foods.