Tempur-Pedic provides a line of memory foam mattresses that are considered higher end. The company transformed the industry a couple of decades ago by taking the memory foam category mainstream. The foam was originally developed for NASA as a material to cushion aircraft seats, but was introduced to the US as a mattress brand in 1992.
The company went public in 2003, and then merged with Sealy Corporation in 2012. Currently they are manufacturing in their factories in Virginia, New Mexico, and El Salvador. The brand has now become synonymous with memory foam and it has continued to have major success. This review will take a look at the collection of their mattresses as a whole. I have also done reviews on each of the individual models and would encourage you to check those out as well.
Who Should Be Interested In Tempur-Pedic
- Those Who Are Used To Or Are Generally Fans Of The Memory Foam Feel– Memory foam beds are not for everybody. However, those who like memory foam really tend to like it a lot. If you don’t like the memory foam feel, it doesn’t matter how good the mattress is. I would only look at Tempur-Pedic if you are specifically seeking out memory foam. My advice would be that if you aren’t sure, try to get access to a memory foam mattress for a couple of nights of sleep and see if you like it. If you do, then one of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses could be a great fit for you.
- Someone Looking For Pain Reduction– A big reason people love Tempur-Pedic is because the mattresses are great at providing pain relief. The high-quality memory foam reduces the pressure points, allowing for a comfortable sleeping experience that doesn’t hurt the hips, shoulders, or neck. At the same time, their collection of models, especially the higher density models, do a great job of conforming to the contours of a person’s body. That promotes spinal alignment and ensures the back can be in its natural, healthy position throughout the night. If you are looking for a mattress that can provide pain reduction, Tempur-Pedic might be a good place to look.
- Someone Who Has Trouble Sleeping Smoothly Sleep Throughout The Night– Tempur-Pedic mattresses do an especially good job of relieving pressure points. People tend to wake up in the middle of the night when there is too much pressure on either the hips, back, or shoulders. People will wake up with soreness or the feeling of numbness because of that pressure. Tempur-Pedic does a great job of addressing this issue, and most people will sleep better throughout the night as a result.
- Couples– Tempur-Pedic does an especially good with motion transfer (especially the higher density models). As a result, if you sleep with a partner and that person moves around in the bed, you likely will not be disturbed by that movement. This can really improve the overall quality of sleep for both partners. Tempur-Pedic mattresses can be great for couples.
Who Might Not Want To Get A Tempur-Pedic?
- Those Used To The Traditional Innerspring Feel– Generally, memory foam tends to be a love or hate feeling. There are “memory foam people” and those who just don’t like the feeling. The traditional innerspring feel is quite different from what you get from Tempur-Pedic. If you are used to that feel and like it, then Tempur-Pedic might not provide the best options for you.
- You Don’t Plan On Having The Mattress For A Long Time– Tempur-Pedic mattresses are pricey and they are quite durable when compared to other brands. The value of the mattresses really comes from them being a long-term investment. If you don’t plan on keeping the mattress for more than a few years, perhaps you can get better value from other mattresses.
- Those Looking For A Bouncier, More Resilient Feel– There are many mattresses that provide a bouncier, springier feel to them. Latex, for example, is well known for being “bouncy,” and that’s a feeling that certain people really like. That is not what you get with TempurPedic, so if that’s what you are looking for, perhaps you should potentially look at some other brands.
- Those With Budget Constraints– Tempur-Pedic mattresses do not come cheap. If you are on a budget, they might be out of your price range. There are probably some other cheaper alternatives that might suit you best.
Which Model Should I Get?
This really comes down to your budget and your personal preferences. I wrote a separate article highlighting the pros and cons of each model, which you can check out here. Here’s a few things you should note about their line of mattresses, however.
- The Softer The Model, The More Expensive It Is– If you want something that’s softer, then with Tempur-Pedic you will have to pay more. If you want something firmer, then you are in luck because those models are generally less expensive.
- Breeze Models Are Effective But Pricier– Breeze models do an effective job at keeping the mattress cool, but you will have to pay an additional $1,000 to get the Breeze version of the mattress. I would recommend doing this only if you are especially sensitive to sleeping hot.
- Flex Models Provide A More Resilient Feel– If you want pressure relief but want a springier foam feel where you don’t get the feeling of getting stuck, then you should take a look at the Flex collection models.
- Thicker Models Tend To Be More Expensive– As you would expect, thicker materials are going to be more expensive. Some people, like heavier people, for example, should get a thicker mattress, but not everyone needs to do so.
Note About Specifications
If you want to get detailed information about the specifications of the different models, the company doesn’t make that information available. There are some estimates out there, but this is one thing to note if you want that extra detailed information. In my Contour Supreme review, I show a backhanded way of making an educated guess as to the quality of the materials.
Notes On Sleeping Hot
There have been some complaints with some models that they can “sleep hot.” If you are especially sensitive to this, they have come out with “Breeze” models that aim specifically to address this issue. If you are looking for the best Tempur-Pedic model, the Breeze models might be up there for consideration but they are more expensive.
See also our article on getting the best memory foam mattress.
Tempur-Pedic was the company that really made the memory foam mattress category happen. They have a great collection of memory foam mattresses that can be a great option for the right person. They aren’t for everyone, as some people will not like the memory foam feel and for others they may be too pricey, but they do provide an intriguing set of options for those who are looking for a great memory foam mattress.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Awara Mattress Review – A Supportive Latex Hybrid? - April 16, 2019
- GhostBed Vs Casper – Which Should You Choose? - March 26, 2019
- GhostBed Flex Mattress Review – A Cool Hybrid? - March 22, 2019