The Simmons Beautyrest is one of the more popular mattress lines, and also notoriously difficult to navigate. Not only are there a number of different Beautyrest models, there are variations within each model to suit different sleeper preferences.
Then finally, you have different outlets that name the same mattress different models for their stores. If you’re confused, mission accomplished, that’s what they wanted! I’ll help you navigate Simmons Beautyrest and other brands to help you find the mattress that best suits your needs.
Simmons Beautyrest comes in six main lines:
- Beautyrest Recharge
- Beautyrest Recharge World Class
- Beautyrest Recharge Hybrid
- Beautyrest Black
- Beautyrest Recharge Memory Foam Plus
- Beautyrest Comforpedic and Comforpedic IQ (currently discontinued)
Overall people generally like the Beautyrest line – it’s definitely the best line out of Simmons. Most frequent qualms are price and long-term durability. Some quick info to get you started:
- If you’re on a budget, start with the Beautyrest Recharge
- If you like memory foam, go straight to the Recharge Memory Foam Plus
- If you’re after a luxury spring, check out Beautyrest Black
- If you want a combination of all the options, go to the Recharge Hybrid
- If you have heard of Comforpedic, know that it’s discontinued. Closest thing would be the Memory Foam Plus
Below I’ll provide a quick overview of each of these Beautyrest categories and link to full reviews that provide a very in-depth look at each mattress and where you can find the best deal.
NOTE: different stores will carry the same mattress at very different prices, so make sure to read my in-depth analyses before you make a final purchase.
The Recharge is definitely the cheapest of the Simmons Beautyrest, and thus naturally missing the additional features that the other Beautyrest models provide. Definitely the place to start if you’re on a budget. The mattress will vary slightly based on who’s selling it, but generally it will feature:
- Pocket coils (around 800), which are good for support and motion transfer
- Firm, Plush, Luxury Firm, and Pillow top (with option to combine pillow top and the other options)
- Materials will vary, but often included is aircool foam, gel touch foam, and air cool memory foam. All of these foams aim to reduce heat, and will vary in effectiveness in that regard.
A queen mattress will be ~$800, but know this price will vary greatly depending on the features included and the location where you purchase it.
The World Class is a step up from the standard Beautryrest Recharge, both in terms of a few features and of course the price. Assume all is generally the same as the standard recharge, except:
- The number of pocket coils will increase, ranging from 850 to 2000 depending on the specific model. This means that you should have even better support and comfort, and further reduce motion transfer.
- Foam will be aircool memory foam with micro gel touch, offering even better cooling, greater durability, and more comfort.
A queen will now cost you ~$1100, with price again varying from this point based on features and where you purchase. You can definitely notice the increase in the coil count and memory foam, so if within your budget, this upgrade from the standard Beautyrest Recharge is worthwhile.
A true hybrid mattress is a mix of memory foam and coils (most often memory foam on top), which is exactly what we find in the Beautyrest Hybrid. You will note we mentioned a layer of foam in the Recharge models, however that’s really just a thin layer on top, where as with the Hybrid the amount of foam in the top layer is much more substantial. Things to note:
- The Beautyrest Hybrid will have 1000 to 2000 coils
- The mattress includes gel touch memory foam and micro-coils in the more expensive models
- Lower end models have the aircool memory foam, higher end has micro diamond infused memory foam, both aiming to provide good comfort/support tradeoff and keep the mattress from sleeping hot
A queen will cost around $1300, with more variability than the others within the line (based on the coil range and type of foam used).
The Beautyrest Black is the most talked about mattress from Simmons, definitely targeting the luxury market. Overall people tend to really like the mattress, but if you’re price sensitive it’s going to give you some serious sticker shock. What makes this mattress so fancy?
- Very high quality coils – The mattress sports a triple braided Veriform pocketed coil system that pretty much eliminates motion transfer. These coils also last much longer than coils used in the other mattresses
- Quality foam – either aircool memory foam, dynamic response memory foam, or micro diamond infused aircool memory foam
The price on the Beautyrest Black varies wildly based on the options, but don’t be surprised to drop a few thousand dollars at least.
The Beautyrest Recharge memory foam mattress is a high-end memory foam mattress rounding out the options for the Beautyrest line. The mattress focuses on giving the traditional memory-foam support and comfort while focusing on making it so that the mattress does not sleep hot. It includes:
- Made with hundreds of foam cushions to offer personalized support
- Made with premium foams (depending on model), including AirCool memory foam, Beauty Cloud memory foam, ContourFit memory foam, and Comfort Response latex
The Beautyrest Rechrage Memory Foam Plus ranges dramatically in price depending on options and features, but again expect to pay thousands of dollars if you’re interested.
See related article- getting the best innerspring mattress.
Beautyrest Comforpedic/Comforpedic IQ
NOTE: The Comforpedic line was discontinued in early 2015, however many retailers are still carrying them until inventory expires. If you want a memory foam mattress from Beautyrest, I would recommend sticking with the Beautyrest Recharge Memory Foam Plus.
The Simmons Beautyrest line is obviously quite varied, and at this point includes most of Simmons’ most popular mattresses. Overall these are some quality mattresses, it will be interesting to see if the Beautyrest line can hold up against many of the new online mattress startups that are trying to match their quality and undercut their prices.
If you have any questions about specific mattress options, please leave a comment below or on the specific review pages. And make sure to check out my mattress reviews page for more information on Simmons and other mattress companies.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- 5 Best Firm Mattresses 2019 - June 13, 2019
- Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Review – A Great Value? - June 3, 2019
- Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Review – Affordable Comfort? - May 30, 2019