When people are considering a new mattress, it’s important to consider their size and weight. A mattress that is perfect for someone over 200 lb might be a poor match for someone under 150 lb, for instance.
If people are lightweight, what is the right kind of mattress for them? While there are many good bed-in-a-box options out there, six mattresses really stand out among the rest.
Which of these 10 mattresses is best? Read on to find out.
Best Mattresses For Lightweight Sleepers
Now, let’s take a look at our top picks for lightweight sleepers:
- Layla – Editor’s Pick
- Casper – Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
- Helix Midnight – Best Mattress For Side Sleepers
- Saatva – Best Luxury Mattress
- Bear Pro – Best Soft Mattress For Lightweight Sleepers
- GhostBed – Best Latex Mattress
- Dreamfoam Chill – Best Cheap Mattress
- Cocoon Chill – Best Memory Foam Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding Bowery – Best Value Mattress
- Purple – Best Firm Mattress
The Layla mattress is very unique in that it is flippable, with a soft side and a firm side. The soft side has a 3″ comfort layer and is a great match for lighter back and side sleepers. The firm side has only a 1″ comforter layer, so lighter stomach sleepers can flip the mattress for more support.
This is also one of the most comfortable mattresses I have tried. On both sides of the mattress, there are layers of soft, copper-infused memory foam, which gives the mattress that classic memory foam feel where you slowly sink into the mattress. In addition, it is great with pressure relief, especially on the soft side.
In the end, the Layla is a very innovative mattress, and when you think about the complex construction and overall comfort, it is a great value.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- It is flippable and has a soft side and a firm side.
- The soft side is a great match for lighter back and side sleepers, and the firm side could be a better fit for lighter stomach sleepers.
- The memory foam is very soft and provides great comfort and pressure relief.
- This is a cooler-sleeping mattress. The memory foam is infused with copper and the cover is breathable, so sleepers shouldn’t overheat throughout the night.
- It is affordable for such a quality mattress and an excellent value overall.
Read the full breakdown and Layla mattress review here.
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get up to $200 off a Layla mattress plus free accessories by clicking the link below.
Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
The Casper mattress includes a Zoned Support system in its construction. This construction makes it so the mattress is firmer in the center lumbar area and soft near the shoulders and knees. Because of this, the mattress is a great match for all three sleeping positions and an especially good match for people who switch positions throughout the night.
When people are back sleeping, the mattress supports their lumbar area but lets their hips sink in just the right amount. While side sleeping, they feel great pressure relief on their shoulders and hips. Moving to their stomach, people should feel well supported overall.
The mattress is also responsive, and it is very easy to move around on the mattress. People get some of that comfortable foam feel without getting stuck.
It is also softer-than-average, with a 3″ comfort layer, so lighter combination sleepers or lightweight sleepers who use any sleeping position should like the comfortable Casper mattress.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The mattress features a zoned construction and is a great match for all three sleeping positions.
- It is the best mattress for back sleepers who are lightweight.
- It has a comfort layer that is not too thick and a softer-than-average firmness, making it perfect for lighter-weight sleepers.
- The Casper has a balanced foam feel, so lighter sleepers should feel comfortable while still being able to move around easily.
- The mattress contains open-celled foam, so it should be breathable. Hot sleepers therefore shouldn’t worry about overheating on the Casper mattress.
Read the full breakdown and Casper mattress review here.
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. Use the code "MATTRESSCLARITY" to save $100 on your order!
Best Mattress For Lightweight Side Sleepers
The Helix Midnight mattress is a memory foam hybrid mattress that’s a great fit for lightweight sleepers, especially those who sleep on their side. This bed has a soft, balanced foam feel with a top layer of slow-moving memory foam and a base support layer of individually-wrapped coils.
Between those layers, there is also a layer of polyfoam that helps make the surface of the mattress responsive, meaning you won’t sink in too far or get stuck in the mattress. This is an especially great balance for side sleepers who need a mattress that can be softer around the shoulders and hips but more firm and supportive in the mid section to maintain proper spine alignment.
The design of the Helix Midnight mattress also makes for a cooling sleep experience. With a breathable cover and a coil layer allowing for great airflow, you should sleep comfortably on this mattress.
What Makes The Helix Midnight Stand Out?
- It’s the most popular mattress Helix offers!
- You get the luxurious, slow-moving memory foam feel without sinking in too far.
- It’s a good fit for people who tend to sleep hot at night.
Read the full Helix Midnight mattress review
The Helix Midnight is a memory foam hybrid mattress that offers a great balance of comfort and support. Click the button for the save up to $200 and get 2 free pillows.
Best Luxury Mattress
Lightweight sleepers have the luxury of not always needing the most luxurious mattress. Often, lightweight sleepers will be most comfortable on a soft memory foam mattress which tend to be on the more affordable end of the price scale, rather than needing a high-quality hybrid mattress with all the bells and whistles.
However, if you’re one of those lightweight sleepers that wants to luxuriate in the feel of a high-quality mattress, or if you share the bed with a partner and have to consider their needs as well, the Saatva mattress is a great choice for a high-quality, luxurious mattress for lightweight sleepers.
This hybrid mattress comes in three firmness options (Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm) so you can find the right fit for you. For lightweight sleepers, we recommend the Plush Soft version, but we also think you could be comfortable on the Luxury Firm model. The Saatva is a truly great mattress that supports people in all three sleeping positions and is an excellent value purchase.
What Makes The Saatva Mattress Stand Out?
- It’s one of the best pillow top mattresses we’ve reviewed to-date.
- With a layer of innerspring coils and an organic cotton cover, you should sleep cool on the Saatva.
- It’s a very durable mattress that will give you a good bang for your buck.
Read the full Saatva mattress review
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $200 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best Soft Mattress
Lightweight sleepers will want to find a soft mattress that they can easily sink into, and the Bear Pro mattress is just that. This mattress comes with a firmness level around a 6.5 out of 10 on the mattress scale, meaning it’s softer than most.
The top layers of the Bear Pro feel very soft and plush, so whether you’re sleeping on your side, back, or stomach, you should be comfortable on the Bear Pro as a lightweight person. The top foam layer is also very responsive to movements, so if you’re a combination sleeper who shifts around throughout the night you should also be in good shape.
The Bear Pro is also an exceptionally cool mattress. The cover is designed with Celliant and the foam is infused with both copper and gel, so hot sleepers should sleep cooler on this mattress than most all-foam beds.
What Makes The Bear Pro Mattress Stand Out?
- It’s a soft, all-foam mattress with a high-density foam base layer that will help offer support and durability.
- It’s well-suited for people who sleep in all three sleeping positions.
- Hot sleepers should have no problem sleeping cool on the Bear Pro mattress.
Read the full Bear Pro mattress review
The Bear Pro is a mattress with a great balance of comfort and support. Get 25% off plus a free gift set with our coupon. Use code CLARITY25 to save.
Best Latex Mattress
If you’re a lightweight sleeper looking for a latex mattress, the GhostBed is a great choice. This is a slightly firmer mattress at around an 8 out of 10 on the firmness scale, so it’s going to be best suited for lightweight sleepers who sleep primarily on their back or stomach and need that additional support.
The GhostBed mattress is built with aerated latex foam, gel memory foam, and a 7.5” base layer of high-density foam. This means the GhostBed is incredibly responsive, cooling, and supportive. If you don’t want to be “stuck” in your mattress, or stuck sweating through your mattress, you’ll like the feel of the GhostBed.
What Makes The GhostBed Mattress Stand Out?
- The GhostBed is very affordable compared to other latex mattresses.
- It’s a great fit for sleepers who need a little more support – aka, stomach and back sleepers.
- This is a very cool mattress (we’re talking about temperature). Hot sleepers should be comfortable on the GhostBed mattress.
Read the full GhostBed mattress review
Ghostbed is a very supportive mattress that is ideal for back and stomach sleepers, and it is also a great value - right now, customers can get 30% off the GhostBed and 2 free pillows.
Best Cheap Mattress
If you’re looking to spare your wallet without totally sacrificing on quality, the Dreamfoam Chill is our top recommendation for the best cheap mattress for lightweight people.
This mattress comes in five different height options (we reviewed the 12” option) with varying layers based on which model you choose. This sort of optionality is great for lightweight people who may want an additional level of customization to match your comfort preferences. The higher up you go with your height selection (you can choose 6”, 8”, 10”, 12”, or 14”), the softer the mattress becomes. For lightweight people, we’d recommend the 10”, 12”, or 14” models.
As the name suggests, this mattress also sleeps super cool. With a breathable cover and gel-infused memory foam, hot sleepers should be comfortable on the Dreamfoam Chill.
What Makes The Dreamfoam Chill Mattress Stand Out?
- You can customize your mattress height to fit your firmness preferences.
- It’s a good quality mattress at a budget price.
- It offers a nice balance of support and comfort.
Read the full Dreamfoam Chill mattress review
The Dreamfoam Chill is a cooling, affordable memory foam mattress that comes in multiple thicknesses. Click the button to save 25% on your purchase.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
For most lightweight sleepers, we’d recommend you check out some memory foam mattresses, since lightweight people are typically more comfortable on a softer mattress. That being said, the Cocoon Chill mattress by Sealy is our top pick for the best memory foam mattress for lightweight people.
The Cocoon Chill mattress is an all-foam mattress that’s ideal for lightweight people. Because you won’t press as deeply into this slightly firmer foam mattress, lightweight sleepers should be comfortable in all three sleeping positions on the Cocoon Chill.
The top layers of the Cocoon Chill provide great contouring and pressure relief. Plus, the cover includes phase change material which works to help dissipate body heat so, as the name implies, you should sleep cool on this mattress.
What Makes The Cocoon Chill Mattress Stand Out?
- The Cocoon Chill is a cool-to-the-touch mattress that’s ideal for hot sleepers looking for an all-foam feel.
- It’s a great fit for lightweight sleepers in all three sleeping positions.
- It’s a simpler mattress, but it’s still durable, so we’d expect this mattress to last long enough to give you a good run for your money.
Read the full Cocoon Chill mattress review
The Cocoon Chill Hybrid is a comfortable and supportive hybrid mattress made specifically with hot sleepers in mind. Use our coupon to save up to $799 on your purchase.
Best Value Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Bowery
When you take deals into account, the Bowery is the most affordable mattress on this list. It’s also a quality mattress with a solid balance of comfort and support, making it an excellent option for lightweight back and side sleepers.
While back sleeping, the hips will sink in but not too far, and when sleeping on one’s side, people should feel especially great pressure relief. There are 3″ of Energex Foam on top, which should give people enough support on their back and enough pressure relief on their side.
The Energex Foam is also responsive, which means there is a soft foam feel, but people generally shouldn’t feel stuck in the mattress. It is very easy to move around on the Bowery overall.
All in all, if someone is a lightweight sleeper looking to save some money, the Bowery is a great option.
What Makes The Bowery Stand Out?
- It is a very affordable mattress and an excellent value overall
- The Bowery features Energex Foam that is responsive and very comfortable where the sleeper will not feel stuck in the mattress
- This mattress is a great option for lighter back and side sleepers because of the great balance of comfort and support.
Read the full breakdown and Bowery mattress review here.
The Brooklyn Bedding Bowery is an affordable mattress that a lot of people will like. Click the button to save 25% on your purchase.
Best Firm Mattress
The Purple features a very unique, hyper-elastic gel polymer in its comfort layer that creates a gel grid that is both firm and comfortable at the same time. It is designed to stay flat and supportive until a certain amount of pressure is applied. When this happens, the grid collapses in that area, while the rest of the mattress is unaffected.
Lighter-weight back and stomach sleepers should find the Purple mattress to be a good fit. On someone’s back, the gel collapses under their hips but still supports their lumbar area, making it a good mattress for back pain. When people are on their stomachs, the mattress typically shouldn’t collapse under their hips.
This gel grid is also very responsive, so it is very easy to move around on the Purple mattress and people shouldn’t feel stuck when they try to change positions at night.
What Makes The Purple Stand Out?
- Its gel grid makes this mattress a great match for lighter back and stomach sleepers, as it is supportive but still allows the hips to sink in.
- The mattress is bouncy and responsive, so consumers can move around without the feeling of getting stuck in the mattress.
- The hyper-elastic gel polymer is a very durable material, which means the mattress should be longer-lasting and could be a great long-term investment overall.
- The gel grid allows for quite a bit of airflow, making this a cooling mattress, so people shouldn’t be overheating on the Purple.
Read the full breakdown and Purple mattress review here.
Purple is an innovative mattress that is a great fit for all three sleeping positions and doesn't sleep hot. Click the button below to get free accessories with your purchase.
What Should People Consider When Buying A Mattress For Lightweight Sleepers?
- Your weight– Even if people find a mattress that meets many of the criteria for lighter sleepers, they still want to think about their exact weight. When I speak of lighter sleepers, I usually mean anyone below 150 lb. However, there is a big difference between a 100 lb person and 150 lb person (A 150 lb person might need more support than a 100 lb person, for example). As always, consumers should take their size and weight into account when purchasing a new mattress. Also, take a look at our best mattresses for heavy people and our best mattresses for teenagers.
- Mattress and comfort layer thickness- When people are looking for a lightweight mattress, they also want to think about the overall thickness of the mattress and the thickness of the comfort layer. While larger people may require a taller mattress with a thicker comfort layer, lighter people generally don’t require this. A 10″ mattress should be typically tall enough for most lighterweight people. Also, speaking specifically of the comfort layer, people want to find a mattress with about 2″ to 3″ of comfort material in total. People probably don’t need significantly more than this, and it should give them a solid balance of comfort and support.
- Mattress firmness- Lightweight sleepers should pay attention to the difference between a firm vs soft mattress. If someone is a lighter person, they should potentially look for a mattress that is softer than average. While heavier people run the risk of bottoming out on softer, less supportive mattresses, lighter people don’t have to worry about this quite as much. A softer mattress can offer a lightweight sleeper comfort and still be supportive enough, without breaking the bank.
- Preferred sleeping position- This applies to a person of any size, but even as a lightweight sleeper, people will want to think about their preferred sleeping position when narrowing down their mattress decision. If people only sleep on their stomach, for example, they might want a mattress that is just a little less soft. However, if they sleep on their side, they may alternatively want something a little bit softer. Again, as a lighter person, people usually will want something softer than average, but they might adjust this a bit based on their sleeping position.
- Construction- One of the benefits of being a lighter sleeper is that people probably don’t need more expensive materials such as support coils or higher-density foams found in some of the best luxury mattresses. These supportive materials are more expensive, and larger people might have to pay more to find a mattress to meet their needs. For instance, if someone is a lighter stomach sleeper, they might only need a layer of support foam instead of individually pocketed steel coils. In the end, people could get a mattress with a much simpler construction and save some money in the process.
RELATED: Best Mattress For Kids
If someone is lightweight, one of these 10 mattresses should be an excellent option for a number of reasons. Consumers should read through this article in detail, consider the main factors that are most important to them when selecting a mattress, and then ultimately make a more informed decision.
Featured image: fizkes/Shutterstock
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.