I get a lot of questions about the Purple mattress because of their creative marketing and successful Kickstarted campaign, so I was excited to try the mattress for myself. It’s made of a unique material, so in some ways this mattress is difficult to compare to other popular options.
Overall I really liked the Purple mattress, but I had a few small complaints as well. It’s certainly a unique mattress that is unlike anything I’ve tested before (until I tried Intellibed too, which uses the same technology). I think a lot of people are going to like the mattress, but it’s so different that it might not be for everyone.
Quick Overview: Purple Mattress
|Purple Mattress||CHECK PRICE|
Read on for my full Purple mattress review (and raw egg test).
You will love the Purple mattress if you…
- Are looking for pressure relief – I found Purple’s unique material is actually great for pressure relief (that’s what they’re trying to show with the raw egg test).
- Want the bed-in-a-b0x online business model – it’s hard to compare Purple to any other mattress (price-wise) due to the unique material, but the online-only business model still applies.
- Sleep in multiple positions – I thought Purple is one of the few mattresses that is comfortable when sleeping on the back, side, and stomach.
- Want to sleep cool – the Purple mattress definitely sleeps cool, cooler than almost any other mattress I have reviewed (and I tried it during the NYC summer).
See How Purple Compares To Other Brands HERE
You may not like the Purple mattress if you…
- Want a mattress you understand – Is it memory foam? More like a latex mattress? Definitely not spring. It’s hard to categorize Purple, which may be difficult for some shoppers.
- There’s a particular type of mattress you love -If you love memory foam or love latex, you should consider sticking with what you love. This is a unique feel that isn’t quite like any of the standard mattress types.
Get A Free Pillow With Purple mattress by clicking HERE
Firmness and Feel
Since the Purple mattress has a unique comfort layer material (hyper-elastic polymer), it’s no surprise it has a very unique feel. Like a latex mattress, Purple springs back very quickly and sleeps cool.
In terms of firmness, it’s probably a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale – but it is also very pressure relieving as well, so I think the normal “firmness scale” isn’t as useful as it can be.
NOTE: Want Me To Give You A Personalized Recommendation? If So, Leave A Comment At The Bottom Of This Page!
Purple Mattress Raw Egg Test
As you can see in the video, I had a good time with the raw egg test! This isn’t a scientific test, or one that is even performed on mattresses regularly, so I don’t know if I “did it correctly” in either attempt.
No matter the results of a raw egg test, know that this test is meant to show that the mattress is very pressure relieving. And from my experience sleeping on the mattress, I found this to be true.
Purple Mattress Construction
The Purple mattress is made of three layers:
- 2 inches of hyper-elastic polymer
- 3.5 inches of 1.8 lb polyurethane foam
- 4.0 inches of 2.0 lb polyurethane foam
The top layer is really the story of Purple, with a very unique material that accounts for the bounciness, pressure relief, and sleeping cool.
Below is the cover, made of viscose (27%), polyester (69%), and polyester-lycra (4%). I found the mattress cover to be nice to the touch and very breathable.
Motion Transfer Test
I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Purple mattress in terms of motion transfer since it doesn’t fall into the typical memory foam, latex foam, and innerspring categories.
As you can see in the video below, the mattress performs quite well. It isn’t as good as a high quality memory foam mattress in terms of motion transfer, but I think it is a great option for most couples.
Prices And Dimensions
The table below shows the prices for the available sizes and their associated dimensions.
|Twin XL||37.5" x 79.5" x 9.5"||$699|
|Queen||59.5" x 79.5" x 9.5"||$999|
|King||75.5" x 79.5" x 9.5"||$1,299|
|Cal King||71.5" x 83.5" x 9.5"||$1,299|
The gel material used in the comfort layer is highly durable and will prevent any premature sagging that is associated with other types of mattresses. The base foam is high-density, so overall I expect the mattress to hold up well over time, and I think its longevity is a major selling point. At this price point, you’d be hard pressed to find a mattress that is going to be more durable.
Other things to note:
- Purple is sold only online
- They offer a 10 year warranty
- Purple recommends stretchy sheets to get the full benefits of the mattress
- They have a 100 night sleep trial period
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- The mattress is one of the few (if any) that feels very pressure-relieving yet supportive at the same time
- The mattress is going to be on of the more durable mattresses you’ll find at this price range
- The mattress is temperature neutral, meaning you won’t sleep hot
Overall I had a great experience sleeping on Purple. The feeling is definitely unique, and a little hard to describe (sorry readers!), but I really liked it. Great for sleeping in any position, definitely pressure relieving, and it sleeps cool (it’s a top mattress pick for hot sleepers).
It’s hard to know if you’re getting a great price, since there is really no competitor with similar materials, but I think the sleeping experience does compare favorably to other online-only mattresses sold at this price. It also made my top mattresses list.