When people shop around for a mattress, price is probably the first thing they consider before anything else. While the bed-in-a-box revolution has lowered mattress prices to a more affordable level, many online mattresses still cost more than $1000. If someone is looking for a great mattress but doesn’t want to break the bank, this article is perfect for them.
This article will go through everything consumers need to know about buying a mattress for less than $1,000 and then run through the construction and key takeaways of each top mattress pick to help people make a more informed decision.
The Helix mattress is a great option if people are looking for options and customization, and they should be able to find the right firmness for them.
The Layla is a flippable mattress that features two firmnesses in one, and the soft side is very comfortable and a good fit for side sleepers.
Best For Back And Side Sleepers
The Leesa is an affordable all-foam mattress that should be an excellent fit for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
Made For Athletes
The Bear is a comfortable, cool mattress that could help athletes recover more quickly after a tough workout.
The GhostBed is a firmer mattress that should be a good match for back sleepers and stomach sleepers.
Top Picks Compared
These five mattresses have one thing in common: they all cost less than $1000 and are very high-quality. These mattresses are all catered to different types of sleepers, so really anyone should find at least one of the mattresses to be an excellent match for them.
Consumers have two choices when you order your Helix mattress. First, they can take their sleep quiz, and the company will put together a mattress to meet their specific sleep needs. Whether they are a stomach sleeper, side sleeper, or need something to keep people cool at night, Helix can provide what they are looking for.
If people do not want to complete the quiz, they can also choose from their wide variety of mattresses. Again, they have mattresses with a wide range of firmnesses and features.
No matter what model people end up with, there are a few constants with this company. All Helix mattresses contain supportive coils and comfortable, high-density foams that are all high-quality components. These premium materials are very durable so while consumers don’t spend too much money up front, they also should have a long-lasting mattress.
A Helix mattress is a great option if people want options and want to find a mattress that is tailored specifically to meet their needs and preferences.
What Makes The Helix Mattress Stand Out?
- People have many firmness and design options to choose from. No matter someone’s sleeping preferences are, they should be able to find a mattress that is most appropriate for them.
- The Helix mattresses contain premium, durable components, which means the Helix mattresses should be good, long-term investments.
- The coils promote airflow through the Helix mattresses, which should keep them from trapping too much heat. In addition, you can opt for a cooling cover which will keep you from sleeping too hot.
The full breakdown and Helix mattress review is available here.
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper; customers can get $75 off a Helix mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY75 at checkout or $125 off a mattress plus one other product with code CLARITY125 at checkout.
The Layla features a unique design and is actually flippable, giving the mattress two firmnesses in one. One side is firm and supportive while the other is soft and comfortable.
Lying on the soft side of the Layla, I can say this is the most comfortable mattress on this list. It features a thick layer of soft memory foam, and when I lie on my side, I feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips. I really sink into that soft memory foam and feel all pressure disappear immediately.
This memory foam is also infused with copper, which adds a few interesting qualities to the memory foam. First, copper helps to dissipate heat so that the memory foam does not trap so much heat. So, this memory foam should sleep cooler than other types of memory foam.
Second, copper is antimicrobial, which means that the copper will cut down on bacteria and mildew growth and ensure that your Layla mattress stays cool and comfortable for years to come.
If you are a side sleeper and want a very comfortable mattress for under $1000, the Layla should be a great choice.
What Makes The Layla Mattress Stand Out?
- The Layla is flippable people you get two firmness options in one mattress.
- It is an extremely comfortable mattress, one of the very best on the market.
- The soft side of the Layla offers nice pressure relief and could be an excellent match for most side sleepers.
- The copper-infused memory foam keeps the mattress cool and clean.
The full breakdown and Layla mattress review is available here.
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get $110 off the Layla mattress by clicking the link below and then using code MCLARITY.
Best For Back And Side Sleepers
If someone sleeps in just one position, it is easy to find the right mattress: side sleepers want something soft, back sleepers want something medium-firm, and stomach sleepers want something on the firmer end. However, what about those who switch between back sleeping and side sleeping?
Anyone who sleeps on both their back and side is going to be pleased with the Leesa mattress because it is a medium-firm, all-foam mattress that boasts an excellent balance of comfort and support. Back sleepers should feel their hips sinking in the perfect amount and they should experience a good amount of contouring as well; side sleepers should sink into the 4″ comfort layer and feel very little pressure on their shoulders and hips.
Lastly, the Leesa mattress is a foam option that won’t make sleepers feel stuck or overheat at night. There’s a lot of love about the Leesa and, at under $1000 for a Queen size, the price is hard to beat!
What Makes The Leesa Stand Out?
- The Leesa is a medium-firm mattress that should offer the balance of comfort and support that back sleepers require.
- The mattress features a thick comfort layer that should allow sleepers to sink in while relieving pressure on the shoulders and hips.
- The Leesa is a responsive foam mattress that should not make people feel like they are stuck in the mattress.
- The mattress contains breathable foams that should keep it from trapping heat and making sleepers wake up sweaty.
Read the full Leesa mattress review
Made For Athletes
The Bear is an all-foam mattress that contains very soft memory foam. It has some of that slow-moving memory foam feel where people sink into the mattress like quicksand. At the same time, the memory foam layer is not too thick so people shouldn’t worry about it trapping them in the mattress.
With this design, people get a mattress that is good for both back sleepers and side sleepers. On their back, the hips sink into the soft memory foam but the bottom layers stop them from sinking in too far. On their side, the memory foam should relieve pressure on their shoulders and hips.
What sets this mattress apart is the Celliant cover. Celliant is a fabric that is designed to help athletes recover more quickly. It has been shown to increase blood flow and cool the surface of the mattress. Whether someone is an athlete or want these health benefits, the Bear mattress could be an excellent option.
What Makes The Bear Mattress Stand Out?
- It provides that soft memory foam feel without trapping people in the mattress.
- The Bear is a good match for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The mattress features a Celliant cover which could be helpful to athletes who want to recover from a difficult workout faster.
- The Celliant cover is also cooling so people shouldn’t be sleeping too hot on the Bear.
The full breakdown and Bear mattress review is available here.
The Bear mattress is a memory foam mattress that sleeps cool and is quite comfortable. Mattress customers can get $125 off the Bear mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY125 at checkout.
The GhostBed is an all-foam mattress that contains both latex and memory foam, which gives the mattress a balanced foam feel that is both responsive and supportive. In fact, this is the firmest and most supportive mattress on this list. On our scale of 1-10, the GhostBed was close to a 7.5.
Because of this, the GhostBed should be a good match for back sleepers and stomach sleepers. The GhostBed should be able to support even much heavier weights so no matter your size, you should get the proper amount of support when you are on your back and stomach.
The memory foam and latex are also very high-density and should be very durable. For under $1000, you get a supportive all-foam mattress that shouldn’t break down in only a few years.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers who are larger or just want something firmer should definitely take a look at the GhostBed mattress.
What Makes The GhostBed Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a firmer, more supportive mattress that should be able to handle even larger people.
- The GhostBed is a great option for back and stomach sleepers.
- The ventilated latex and gel memory foam should make this a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The GhostBed should be a better long-term investment.
The full breakdown and GhostBed mattress review is available here.
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type from me. He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lbs (I am 5’9″ and 160 lbs.). Here is what he thought about these mattresses and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers:
As a larger person, I want to talk about my experience with all five of these mattresses and how they will measure up for heavier sleepers.
First off, we have the Helix mattress, which is great because it is customizable. Helix will make a mattress to meet people’s specific needs, so whether people want something firmer, softer, or made for hot sleepers, Helix can accommodate them.
The Bear mattress felt very nice when I was on my back, and I felt some great contouring and lumbar support and my hips sink in just the right amount. It is a very good match for heavier back sleepers, but not for heavier side and stomach sleepers.
The Layla mattress is great because there are two sides. The firm side was a great match when I was back sleeping, and the soft side was a great match for side sleeping. Heavier stomach sleepers might want to look elsewhere, because the mattress will probably not be supportive enough.
The GhostBed is a very supportive mattress so I feel good when I am on my back and stomach.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is great because it has an awesome balance of comfort and support. When I am on my side, I feel a great balance of comfort and support, and when I am on my back and stomach, I feel well supported.
In the end, I think all five of these mattresses could be a good match for heavier people, but people should consider what position they sleep in.
If someone is a larger person, they should definitely take note of Marten’s experience. When someone is of a heavier weight, they have more support needs, and while a mattress might feel soft and pressure relieving to me, they might feel less pressure relief.
What People Should Consider When Buying A Mattress Under $1000
Whether you decide to choose one of these five mattresses or another mattress under $1000, there are a few things you should think about. There is no one right mattress for everyone so keep these points in mind when you are on your mattress hunt.
- Sleeping position- It is always important to take one’s preferred sleeping position into account when a person is picking out a mattress. A mattress that is a good fit for stomach sleepers might not be the best for side sleepers, for example. In general, side sleepers should opt for a softer mattress to ensure they get enough pressure relief on their shoulders and hips. Back sleepers should look for something closer to medium-firm so that they feel a good balance of comfort and support, and stomach sleepers should choose a mattress on the firmer end of the spectrum.
- Durability- So, let’s say someone finds a mattress that costs less than $1000, but two years later the mattress starts to sag and fall apart. While the person saved money up front, that mattress wasn’t a sound investment ultimately. When people are choosing a mattress, they should always think about the durability of the materials used. If the mattress contains memory foam, is it of a higher density? People should keep an eye out for a mattress with high-density foams, latex, or coils, and they should have something that will last them for a good amount of time.
- Sleeping temperature- It is also a good idea to find out if a new mattress will have people sleeping cool or hot throughout the night. A mattress under $1000 isn’t so good if people wake up sweating every night, for example. People should pay close attention to the materials used in the mattress. If there is memory foam in the mattress, people should see if the producer infuses the memory foam with gel, graphite, or some other cooling agent. Also, hybrid and innerspring mattresses are going to have better airflow in general. Finally, people should keep an eye out for features like cooling covers and materials like latex.
- Value- In the end, it all comes down to value, and just because someone is paying less for a mattress does not mean that they are getting a great value. However, if people consider the quality of the materials, the construction, and extra features, they should know if they are getting a good value. People should just think about how much they are paying for what they actually get, and they should be just fine!
If people are trying to spend less than $1000 on your next mattress, one of these options should definitely work for them. Again, consumers should consider their sleeping position and other preferences, and one of these mattresses should be a clear choice. If people need more advice, they can leave their questions in the comment section below.
Featured image: Dean Drobot/Shutterstock
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.