When you shop for a mattress, price is probably the first thing you consider. While the bed-in-a-box revolution has lowered mattress prices to a more affordable level, many online mattresses still cost more than $1000.
What if you don’t want to spend so much money? Well, I have found five mattresses that will cost less than $1000 without you having to sacrifice on quality.
There is no one mattress for everyone so I purposely chose five mattresses with a variety of firmnesses, feels, and designs.
If you are looking for a great mattress that costs less than a $1000, read on. Your perfect mattress awaits.
The Helix mattress is a great option if you are looking for options and customization. You should be able to find the right firmness for you.
The Layla is a flippable mattress that features two firmnesses in one. The soft side is very comfortable and a good fit for side sleepers.
Great For Back And Side
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a great value with a balance of comfort and support. It is a great match for back and side sleepers.
Made For Athletes
The Bear is a comfortable, cool mattress that could help athletes recover more quickly.
The GhostBed is a firmer mattress that should be a good match for back sleepers and stomach sleepers.
Top Picks Compared
These five mattresses have one thing in common: they all cost less than $1000 and are very high-quality. However, they are made for different types of sleepers. Below, you will find the information you need regarding what type of sleeper each mattress should be best for.
You have two choices when you order your Helix mattress. First, you can take their sleep quiz, and the company will put together a mattress to meet your specific sleep needs. Whether you are a stomach sleeper, side sleeper, or need something to keep you cool at night, Helix can provide what you are looking for.
If you do not want to complete the quiz, you can also choose from their wide variety of mattresses. Again, they have mattresses with a wide range of firmnesses and features.
No matter what model you end up with, there are a few constants. All Helix mattresses contain supportive coils and comfortable, high-density foams. These premium materials are very durable so while you don’t spend too much money up front, you should have a long-lasting mattress.
A Helix mattress is a great option if you want options and want to find a mattress that is tailored specifically to meet your needs.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- You have many firmness and design options to choose from. No matter your sleeping preferences, you should be able to find a mattress that is just right for you.
- The Helix mattresses contain premium, durable components. All the Helix mattresses should be good, long-term investments.
- The coils promote airflow through the Helix mattresses. This should keep them from trapping too much heat. In addition, you can opt for a cooling cover which will keep you from sleeping too hot.
Read the full Helix mattress review
The Layla features a unique design. It is actually flippable, giving the mattress two firmnesses in one. One side is firm and supportive while the other is soft and comfortable.
Lying on the soft side of the Layla, I can say this is the most comfortable mattress on this list. It features a thick layer of soft memory foam. When I lie on my side, I feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips. I really sink into that soft memory foam and feel all pressure disappear.
This memory foam is also infused with copper. Copper adds a few interesting qualities to the memory foam. First, copper helps to dissipate heat so that the memory foam does not trap so much heat. So, this memory foam should sleep cooler than other types of memory foam.
Second, copper is antimicrobial. This means that the copper will cut down on bacteria and mildew growth and ensure that your Layla mattress stays cool and comfortable for years to come.
If you are a side sleeper and want a very comfortable mattress for under $1000, the Layla should be a great choice.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- The Layla is flippable so you get two firmness options in one mattress.
- It is an extremely comfortable mattress.
- The soft side of the Layla offers nice pressure relief and could be a good match for most side sleepers.
- The copper-infused memory foam keeps the mattress cool and clean.
Read the full Layla mattress review
Great For Back And Side
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding mattresses are some of the best values out there. This is because unlike their many of their competitors, Brooklyn Bedding owns their own factory. They produce their mattresses in-house so they are able to keep their prices very low.
Out of their large line of mattresses, one of their best deals is the Brooklyn Bedding Signature. It is a hybrid mattress that features supportive coils and comfortable foams. Together, they create a balanced mattress that should be a good fit for back sleepers and side sleepers.
Lying on your back, you will feel the support of the coils while your hips sink into the top layer. When you move to your side, those top layers should relieve pressure on your shoulders and hips.
While the mattress costs less than many other bed-in-a-box options it should also last a good amount of time. The Signature mattress contains very high-end, durable materials that shouldn’t break down too quickly. This is a value and a solid, long-term investment.
What Makes The Signature Stand Out?
- It comes from Brooklyn Bedding, a company that owns its own factory, allowing them to pass the savings onto customers.
- The Signature is a hybrid mattress and features a great balance of comfort and support.
- This mattress should be a good fit for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
- It is a durable mattress that should provide many years of use.
Read the full Signature mattress review
Made For Athletes
The Bear is an all-foam mattress that contains very soft memory foam. It has some of that slow-moving memory foam feel where you sink into the mattress. At the same time, the memory foam layer is not too thick so you shouldn’t worry about it trapping your in the mattress.
With this design, you get a mattress that is good for both back sleepers and side sleepers. On your back, your hips sink into the soft memory foam but the bottom layers stop you from sinking in too far. On your side, the memory foam should relieve pressure on your shoulders and hips.
What sets this mattress apart is the Celliant cover. Celliant is a fabric that is designed to help athletes recover more quickly. It has been shown to increase blood flow and cool the surface of the mattress. Whether you are an athlete or want these health benefits, the Bear mattress could be a good option.
What Makes The Bear Stand Out?
- It provides that soft memory foam feel without trapping you.
- The Bear is a good match for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The mattress features a Celliant cover which could be helpful to athletes.
- The Celliant cover is also cooling so you shouldn’t be sleeping too hot on the Bear.
Read the full Bear mattress review
The GhostBed is an all-foam mattress that contains both latex and memory foam. They give the mattress a balanced foam feel that is both responsive and supportive. In fact, this is the firmest and most supportive mattress on this list. On our scale of 1-10, the GhostBed was close to a 7.5.
Because of this, the GhostBed should be a good match for back sleepers and stomach sleepers. The GhostBed should be able to support even much heavier weights so no matter your size, you should get the proper amount of support when you are on your back and stomach.
The memory foam and latex are also very high-density and should be very durable. For under $1000, you get a supportive all-foam mattress that shouldn’t break down in only a few years.
Stomach sleepers and back sleepers who are larger or just want something firmer should definitely take a look at the GhostBed mattress.
What Makes The GhostBed Stand Out?
- It is a firmer, more supportive mattress that should be able to handle even larger people.
- The GhostBed is a great option for back and stomach sleepers.
- The ventilated latex and gel memory foam should make this a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The GhostBed should be a better long-term investment.
Read the full GhostBed mattress review
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type from me. He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lbs (I am 5’9″ and 160 lbs.). Here is what he thought about these mattresses:
As a larger person, I want to talk about my experience with all five of these mattresses.
First off, we have the Helix mattress. The Helix is great because it is customizable. Helix will make a mattress to meet your specific needs. Whether you want something firmer, softer, or made for hot sleepers, they can accommodate you.
The Bear mattress felt very nice when I was on my back. I feel some great contouring and lumbar support. Also, my hips sink in just the right amount. It is a very good match for heavier back sleepers, but not for heavier side and stomach sleepers.
The Layla mattress is great because you have two sides. The firm side was a great match when I was back sleeping. The soft side was a great match for side sleeping. Heavier stomach sleepers might want to look elsewhere.
The GhostBed is a very supportive mattress so I feel good when I am on my back and stomach.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is great because it has a balance of comfort and support. When I am on my side, I feel a great balance of comfort and support. When I am on my back and stomach, I feel well supported.
In the end, I think all five of these mattresses could be a good match for heavier people. Just consider what position you sleep in.
If you are a larger person, definitely take note of Marten’s experience. When you are of a heavier weight, you have more support needs, and while a mattress might feel soft and pressure relieving to me, you might feel less pressure relief.
What You Should Consider When Buying A Mattress Under $1000
Whether you decide to choose one of these five mattresses or another mattress under $1000, there are a few things you should think about. There is no one right mattress for everyone so keep these points in mind when you are on your mattress hunt.
- Your sleeping position. It is always important to take your preferred sleeping position into account when you are picking out a mattress. A mattress that is a good fit for stomach sleepers might not be the best for side sleepers. In general, side sleepers should opt for a softer mattress to ensure they get enough pressure relief on their shoulders and hips. Back sleepers should look for something closer to medium-firm so that they feel a good balance of comfort and support. Stomach sleepers should choose a mattress on the firmer end of the spectrum.
- Durability. So, let’s say you find a mattress that costs less than $1000. Then, two years later, the mattress starts to sag and fall apart. While you saved money up front, that mattress wasn’t a sound investment. When you are choosing a mattress, always think about the durability of the materials used. If the mattress contains memory foam, is it of a higher density? Does the mattress have coils? Keep an eye out for a mattress with high-density foams, latex, or coils, and you should have something that will last you for a good amount of time.
- Sleeping temperature. It is also a good idea to find out if your new mattress will have you sleeping cool or hot. A mattress under $1000 isn’t so good if you wake up sweating every night. Pay close attention to the materials used in the mattress. Is there memory foam in the mattress? If so, see if the producer infuses the memory foam with gel, graphite, or some other cooling agent. Also, hybrid and innerspring mattresses are going to have better airflow in general. Finally, keep an eye out for features like cooling covers and materials like latex.
- Value. In the end, it all comes down to value. Just because you are paying less for a mattress does not mean that you are getting a great value. However, if you consider the quality of the materials, the construction, and extra features, you should know if you are getting a good value. Just think about how much you are paying for what you actually get, and you should be just fine!
If you are trying to spend less than $1000 on your next mattress, one of these options should definitely work for you. Again, consider your sleeping position and other preferences, and one of these mattresses should be a clear choice. If you need more advice, leave your questions in the comment section below.
Featured image: Dean Drobot/Shutterstock
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - August 19, 2019
- WinkBeds MemoryLux Mattress Review – Made For Combination Sleepers? - August 5, 2019
- Emma Mattress Review – A Side Sleeper’s Dream? - July 26, 2019