Finding the right mattress is very important. We spend almost a third of our lives in bed, so it’s best to choose something comfortable and high-quality that will definitely stand the test of time.
That’s why, if people have the money, investing in a luxury mattress is a great idea because it will pay for itself in so many ways. High-end materials and luxury touches could mean that for one-third of your life, you’re sleeping in style.
This article will go over everything consumers needs to know about luxury mattresses and then will dive into the construction and key takeaways of each of the top luxury mattress picks.
The WinkBeds is a comfortable and supportive innerspring mattress that should be a good choice for those who like a hotel mattress feel.
Best Overall Luxury
The Saatva Solaire is an adjustable air bed that has a nice luxury feel and should be a great fit for all three sleeping positions.
Best For Side Sleepers
The Purple 4 features a unique gel polymer that is very pressure-relieving and should be a great match for side sleepers.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom & Leaf
Loom & Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a memory foam mattress that contains premium materials and is a great fit for those who like memory foam but don't want to sleep hot or get stuck.
Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid
Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid
The Bloom Hybrid features all-natural latex and supportive coils and is a great match for those who want to avoid chemicals in their mattress.
The DreamCloud is an affordable mattress with nice luxury touches that a lot of sleepers will really enjoy.
Top Picks Explained
The top luxury picks below are all catered to different types of sleepers, so consumers should be able to find one or multiple mattresses that are an excellent fit for them.
If people have ever enjoyed sleeping on hotel spring mattresses, the WinkBeds mattress should be right up their alley. It contains two layers of steel coils and a Euro-style pillow-top and has a very luxurious, innerspring mattress feel.
This construction gives the WinkBeds a refreshing balance of comfort and support. The pillow-top is soft and should provide some nice pressure relief, and the two layers of coils are very supportive and should also help with contouring.
The WinkBeds should be a good match for all three sleeping positions, because it should be soft enough for side sleepers and firm enough for most back and stomach sleepers. People can choose from four models: Soft, Luxury Firm, Firm, and Plus, which should allow people to find the right firmness for them.
The steel coils promote airflow throughout the mattress, which means the WinkBeds should be more breathable and shouldn’t trap too much heat.
All in all, if people like the feel of a luxury spring mattress, the WinkBeds could be just right for them.
What Makes The WinkBeds Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a luxury option for those who prefer sleeping on a hotel spring mattress.
- The WinkBeds has a nice overall balance of comfort and support, making it an excellent fit for all three sleeping positions.
- People can choose from four firmness options, maximizing the chances of getting the appropriate firmness level for them.
- The coils allow for airflow and make the WinkBeds a more breathable mattress.
- The WinkBeds contains durable materials, so it should be a good, long-term investment.
The full breakdown and WinkBeds mattress review is available here.
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $200 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below and using code MC200 at checkout.
Best Overall Luxury
The Saatva Solaire is a luxury, adjustable air mattress that features air chambers that allow people to inflate and deflate the mattress to their desired firmness setting.
This makes the Solaire a great match for all three sleeping positions. If people sleep on their back, they can set the mattress to a proper medium-firm setting. If people sleep on their stomach, they can make the mattress as firm as necessary. If someone is a side sleeper, they can deflate the mattress to make it significantly softer.
In addition, if people purchase the Queen- or King-size Solaire, they can adjust each side of the mattress separately, which makes the Solaire a great option for couples. Each partner can each choose the firmness they like without affecting each other.
The Solaire also features luxurious materials such as organic cotton, gel memory foam, and all-natural Talalay latex. All in all, it is perhaps the most luxurious and innovative mattress on this list and a really great option for a number of reasons.
What Makes The Solaire Mattress Stand Out?
- It is adjustable, allowing people to choose the exact firmness you like.
- The Solaire is a great fit for multiple sleeping positions because of the adjustability.
- Each side is adjustable, making it a good mattress for couples who have different firmness preferences and preferred sleeping positions.
- It contains organic cotton, gel memory foam, and Talalay latex, all high-quality materials, and it should be very durable.
The full breakdown and Saatva Solaire mattress review is available here.
The Saatva Solaire is a very comfortable mattress with adjustable firmness. It is a great fit for light- and medium-weight people of any sleeping position. Click the link to save $100 on the Solaire.
Best For Side Sleepers
The Purple 4 features 4″ of a unique, hyper-elastic gel polymer in its comfort layer that forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure-relieving at the same time.
In fact, the Purple 4 offers the best pressure relief of any mattress on this list. When you lie on your side, the gel grid collapses under your shoulders and hips, really letting the pressure melt away. This makes the Purple 4 the best mattress for side sleepers as well, especially for heavier people who worry about bottoming out.
The gel grid is also a very durable material, so it shouldn’t sag like some foams are known to do and should stand up to years of use. When combined with the durable coils in the support layer, the Purple 4 should be a good, long-term investment.
In addition, the gel grid allows for a good amount of airflow, which means the Purple 4 is almost completely temperature neutral. People shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Purple 4 even a little.
In the end, the Purple 4 is just a very comfortable, luxury mattress that is going to be a great fit for all different types of sleepers.
What Makes The Purple 4 Mattress Stand Out?
- It contains a hyper-elastic gel polymer that is simultaneously supportive and comfortable.
- The Purple 4 relieves pressure very well and should be a great match for side sleepers.
- It features luxury, durable materials that make it a longer-lasting mattress.
- The mattress is very breathable and could be a good choice for hot sleepers.
The full breakdown and Purple 4 mattress review is available here.
The Purple Hybrid Premier 4" is a perfect choice if you are a side sleeper, are looking for a long-term investment, and are a hot sleeper. Get the best deal on your new Purple mattress, plus get a free pillow when you click the button below.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom & Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a luxury memory foam mattress that contains many layers of high-density memory foam that give the mattress that slow, sinking feeling memory foam in known for.
These memory foams are great with both contouring to the precise curves of the body and pressure relief. When people lie on their side, they might feel some firmness at first, but they will slowly sink in and feel the pressure melt away.
Two of the drawbacks of memory foam mattresses are that they can sleep too hot and trap people in the mattress, but this shouldn’t happen on the Loom & Leaf. There are air channels in the top layers as well as a cooling, gel laminate panel.
In addition, the mattress doesn’t let people sink in too far and have the feeling of getting stuck. People should feel some soft pressure relief, but it should still be easy to move around on the mattress.
If people want a luxury memory foam mattress, the Loom & Leaf could be a great option.
What Makes The Loom & Leaf Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a luxury mattress that features high-quality, high-density memory foams.
- The Loom & Leaf provides nice pressure relief and contouring, so it could be a good match for side sleepers.
- While the mattress contains memory foam, it should be breathable and work well for hot sleepers.
- The high-density memory foam is very durable, so this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
- People can choose from two firmness levels: Relaxed Firm and Firm.
The full breakdown and Loom & Leaf mattress review is available here.
Loom And Leaf is a perfect choice for those looking for a luxury memory foam feel but don't want to sleep hot. Save $100 on Loom And Leaf simply by clicking the button below.
Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid
The Bloom Hybrid is a hybrid mattress that contains premium, durable materials. It features both high-grade coils and all-natural Talalay latex. Together with the quilted, tufted top, these materials give the Bloom Hybrid a very luxurious look and feel.
This construction also provides a nice balance of comfort and support. The quilted, organic cotton cover is very soft and is also quilted with wool, which helps provide some pressure relief. Below that, the individually-wrapped coils provide a good amount of support, which makes it a good match for those who change positions at night.
People can also choose from three firmness options: Soft, Medium, and Firm, which allows them to choose the model that fits their sleeping preferences. We reviewed the Medium model and it was an especially good fit for back and side sleeping from personal experience.
The Talalay latex is also naturally sourced and free of harmful chemicals, meaning it is a good option for those who are trying to avoid chemicals in their mattress.
What Makes The Bloom Hybrid Mattress Stand Out?
- It features premium materials such as Talalay latex and individually-wrapped coils.
- The latex is free of harmful chemicals, which makes this a more eco-friendly option.
- The Bloom Hybrid comes in three firmnesses: Soft, Medium, and Firm, maximizing the chances consumers will get the appropriate firmness level for them.
- The mattress doesn’t trap heat and should be a cooler-sleeping mattress overall.
- The latex and coils are very durable, so the mattress should be longer-lasting.
The full breakdown and Bloom Hybrid review is available here.
The Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid is an eco-friendly hybrid mattress. You can get 20% off the Bloom Hybrid mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY20 at checkout.
The DreamCloud mattress is luxury mattress with that hotel innerspring feel that contains pocketed coils, numerous layers of high-density memory foam, and latex as well.
The mattress has a nice balance of comfort and support. The top layers are quite soft and should offer nice pressure relief for most side sleepers, while the coils and top layers should also make this a good match for most back sleepers.
In addition, the DreamCloud features luxury flourishes such as a cashmere cover. This is very soft to the touch and, together with the quilted foam, gives the top of the mattress a soft, pillow-top feel.
The coils allow for a good amount of airflow, and the mattress also contains gel-infused memory foam which helps dissipate heat. Altogether, you shouldn’t be sleeping hot.
Finally, the DreamCloud is one of the more affordable mattresses on this list, so if people want a durable, luxury mattress but don’t want to break the bank, the DreamCloud could work for them.
What Makes The DreamCloud Mattress Stand Out?
- The DreamCloud contains luxury materials such as natural latex, pocketed coils, and a cashmere cover.
- The mattress features a balance of comfort and support and should be a good match for back and side sleepers.
- The inclusion of coils and gel-infused memory foam mean this should be a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The mattress includes durable materials, so it should be longer-lasting.
- The DreamCloud is a very affordable luxury mattress and an excellent value overall.
The full breakdown and DreamCloud mattress review is available here.
DreamCloud is a high-quality, luxury mattress that a lot of people are going to like. You can get $200 off the DreamCloud mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type than I do: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers:
All these mattresses are a great fit for heavier people like myself, but in different ways.
First off, the DreamCloud is a luxury mattress with that hotel feel that has soft top layers and supportive layers beneath that. It is great for back and side sleeping, because of its excellent balance between comfort and support.
The Loom & Leaf is great if people want that memory foam feel, and I felt nice on my back and side. Especially when I am on my side, I feel myself slowly sink into the mattress and experience great pressure relief on my shoulders and hips.
The Bloom Hybrid is really great for back sleeping, because my hips sink into the top layer but not too far, and I feel good lumbar support as well. It’s very nice for heavier back sleepers.
I like the WinkBeds mattresses, specifically the WinkBeds Plus, which is made specifically for heavier people like myself. It is extra supportive and great for heavier back and stomach sleepers.
The Purple 4 is awesome for side sleeping, because it has such amazing pressure relief. Often when I am side sleeping on some mattresses, I feel myself bottom out. This causes me to feel some serious pressure on my shoulders and hips. This does not happen on the Purple 4, because I press into the gel grid and feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips.
The Saatva Solaire is awesome because it is adjustable. If you buy a Queen- or King-size mattress, each side is adjustable. If you and your partner have different sleeping preferences, you can each set your side to meet your needs, so it is great for couples of many sizes.
In the end, all six mattresses are a great match for heavier people for different reasons.
If people are looking for a mattress, it is always smart to consider their size and weight. I am not very surprised that Marten found all these mattresses to be a good match for heavier sleepers. They are all high-quality, durable mattresses so they should be a good fit for heavier people with many types of sleeping preferences.
What Makes A Luxury Mattress?
Luxury is very subjective, especially with mattresses. However, I will list a few criteria that make a mattress luxurious:
- Durable materials- Even if a mattress feels great, it’s not great if it breaks down after six months, which is why you should consider the durability of the materials used in your mattress. Luxury mattresses often feature high-density foams, coils, and sometimes latex. These add life to the mattress and, while you pay more money up front, the mattress will be a better long-term investment.
- Features for sleeping cool- Sleeping hot is a big concern for a lot of consumers, but luxury mattresses often directly address this issue in the construction. They will include gel foam, latex, and performance fabric covers to ensure you don’t overheat at night.
- Additional bells and whistles- There are lots of additional bells and whistles that could be added to a mattress to make it more of a luxury item. A mattress could be flippable, for example, and have two firmness levels in one. The mattress could feature premium fabrics or specialty fabrics (such as Celliant) in its cover.
If you are searching for a luxury mattress, one of these six could be a great match for you. They all feature premium materials and should give you that luxurious night of sleep you have been looking for.
Our Top Picks: Best Luxury Mattresses 2020
- Best Luxury Innerspring – WinkBeds
- Best Overall Luxury – Saatva Solaire
- Best For Side Sleepers – Purple 4
- Best Luxury Memory Foam – Loom & Leaf
- Best All-Natural Luxury – Brooklyn Bedding Bloom
- Best Affordable Luxury – DreamCloud
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.