Finding the right mattress is very important. We spend almost a third of our lives in bed, so it’s best to choose something comfortable and high-quality that will definitely stand the test of time.
That’s why, if people have the money, investing in a luxury mattress is a great idea because it will pay for itself in so many ways. High-end materials and luxury touches could mean that for one-third of your life, you’re sleeping in style.
This article will go over everything consumers needs to know about luxury mattresses and then will dive into the construction and key takeaways of each of the top luxury mattress picks.
Our Top Picks
The best luxury mattresses for a premium sleep experience are:
- Saatva Solaire – Editor’s Pick
- Helix Midnight Luxe – Best Mattress For Couples
- WinkBeds – Best Luxury Firm Mattress
- Leesa Legend – Best Luxury Hybrid Mattress
- Casper Wave Hybrid – Best Luxury Mattress For Back Pain
- DreamCloud – Best Affordable Luxury Mattress
- Nectar Premier Copper – Best Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe – Best Value Mattress
- Purple Hybrid Premier – Best Mattress For Side Sleepers
- Brooklyn Bedding Sedona – Best Cooling Mattress
The top luxury picks below are all catered to different types of sleepers, so consumers should be able to find one or multiple mattresses that are an excellent fit for them. If you’re still looking for more recommendations, you may want to take our mattress quiz to find a bed that fits your specific preferences.
The Saatva Solaire is a best rated luxury mattress! It’s an adjustable air mattress that features air chambers that allow people to inflate and deflate the mattress to their desired firmness setting.
This makes the Solaire a great match for all three sleeping positions. If people sleep on their back, they can set the mattress to a proper medium-firm setting. If people sleep on their stomach, they can make the mattress as firm as necessary. If someone is a side sleeper, they can deflate the mattress to make it significantly softer.
In addition, if people purchase the Queen- or King-size Solaire, they can adjust each side of the mattress separately, which makes the Solaire a great option for couples. Each partner can each choose the firmness they like without affecting each other.
The Solaire also features luxurious materials such as organic cotton, gel memory foam, and all-natural Talalay latex. All in all, it is perhaps the most luxurious and innovative mattress on this list and a really great option for a number of reasons.
What Makes The Solaire Mattress Stand Out?
- It is adjustable, allowing people to choose the exact firmness you like.
- The Solaire is a great fit for multiple sleeping positions because of the adjustability. Whether someone needs the best mattress for back sleepers, side sleepers, or stomach sleepers, they should love the Solaire.
- Each side is adjustable, making it a good mattress for couples who have different firmness preferences and preferred sleeping positions.
- It contains organic cotton, gel memory foam, and Talalay latex, all high-quality materials, and it should be very durable.
The full breakdown and Saatva Solaire mattress review is available here.
The Saatva Solaire is a very comfortable mattress with adjustable firmness. It is a great fit for light- and medium-weight people of any sleeping position. Click the link to save $200 on the Solaire.
Best Luxury Mattress For Couples
Helix Midnight Luxe
The Helix Midnight Luxe is part of Helix’s premium line of luxurious mattresses that have upgraded features. One of these perks is zoned lumbar support, meaning the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress will contour to your body and support the natural curve of your spine in any sleeping position. This is great for keeping sleepers free of pain or helping to reduce existing back pain.
This hybrid mattress is topped with a premium quilted pillow top that offers just the right amount of hug to keep you comfortable. Plus, it’s topped with a Tencel cover that is super breathable, so this hybrid mattress should sleep nice and cool.
With a medium firmness feel, the Helix Midnight Luxe can suit many sleeper types, though it offers extra comfort for side sleepers who need that extra pressure relief in the shoulders and hips. Couples should also sleep comfortably on the Helix Midnight Luxe together since it is supportive, durable, cooling, and offers decent motion isolation so you won’t disturb your sleeping partner with movements during the night.
What Makes The Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Stand Out?
- This premium hybrid mattress provides zoned lumbar support to keep your spine aligned for a healthy night’s sleep.
- With a coil design and several other cooling features, this mattress should sleep cool.
- The materials used to create the Helix Midnight Luxe are very durable and supportive so this mattress should last you for many years without sagging.
The Helix Midnight Luxe is a luxurious hybrid mattress with plush comfort and great support. Click the button to save up to $200 and get 2 free pillows.
Best Luxury Firm Mattress
If people have ever enjoyed sleeping on hotel spring mattresses, the WinkBeds mattress should be right up their alley. It contains two layers of steel coils and a Euro-style pillow-top and has a very luxurious, innerspring mattress feel.
This construction gives the WinkBeds a refreshing balance of comfort and support. The pillow-top is soft and should provide some nice pressure relief, and the two layers of coils are very supportive and should also help with contouring.
The WinkBeds should be a good match for all three sleeping positions, because it should be soft enough for side sleepers and firm enough for most back and stomach sleepers. People can choose from four models: Soft, Luxury Firm, Firm, and Plus, which should allow people to find the right firmness for them.
The steel coils promote airflow throughout the mattress, which means the WinkBeds should be more breathable and shouldn’t trap too much heat.
All in all, if people like the feel of a luxury spring mattress, the WinkBeds could be just right for them.
What Makes The WinkBeds Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a luxury option and one of the best pillow top mattresses currently available.
- The WinkBed is also one of the best innerspring mattresses on the market.
- The WinkBeds has a nice overall balance of comfort and support, making it an excellent fit for all three sleeping positions.
- People can choose from four firmness options, maximizing the chances of getting the appropriate firmness level for them.
- The coils allow for airflow and make the WinkBeds a more breathable mattress.
- The WinkBeds contains durable materials, so it should be a good, long-term investment.
The full breakdown and WinkBeds mattress review is available here.
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $300 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below.
Best Luxury Hybrid Mattress
The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress designed to offer a nice balance of comfort and targeted support. With two layers of springs, the Leesa Legend has a durable, supportive feel that targets pressure areas like the shoulders and hips. Side sleepers should feel cradled in this mattress, but it can also be a good fit for back and stomach sleepers.
The Legend mattress is also a nice fit for sleepers who experience pain. The pressure-relieving qualities of the Leesa Legend help relieve pain and pressure in the lower back and other high-pressure areas depending on your sleeping position. It also has a nice medium-firm firmness level between 5-7/10, so many sleeper types should find comfort on this mattress.
This luxury hybrid mattress was also made with premium and sustainable materials like 100% organic cotton and Merino wool which help to dissipate body heat and keep you cool while you sleep. Paired with the coil construction, the Legend should have great airflow making it a good pick for people who tend to sleep hot.
What Makes The Leesa Legend Mattress Stand Out?
- It offers a balance of comforting “hug” and targeted support for all sleeping positions.
- The Leesa Legend should help relieve pain in the pressure points.
- It is 100% handcrafted in the USA.
Read the full Leesa Legend mattress review
The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress that features high-end components and should be a good match for multiple sleeping positions - click the button for up to $400 off and 2 free pillows.
Best Luxury Mattress For Back Pain
Casper Wave Hybrid
The Casper Wave Hybrid is Casper’s most high-quality, luxurious mattress the company offers. As its name implies, this is a deluxe hybrid mattress that includes a base layer of coils topped with plush layers of foam.
What makes the Casper Wave Hybrid so comfortable is its Zoned Support Max system that provides targeted support, pressure relief, and contouring for sleepers. This means, the mattress is softer and firmer in all the right places to cradle your body and keep your spine aligned. For sleepers with back pain, we highly recommend this mattress.
The Casper Wave Hybrid is also designed to help you stay cool while you sleep. The top knit cover is breathable, and the top layer of foam features gel and AirScape technology. Keep diving into the layers of the mattress and you’ll find a layer of naturally cooling (and responsive!) latex foam, plus the base layer of coils that provide airflow. We think many sleepers will enjoy the luxurious feel of the Casper Wave Hybrid.
What Makes The Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress Stand Out?
- The Casper Wave Hybrid has a zoned support system to provide targeted support and pressure relief, making it a great mattress for people with back pain.
- Due to its high-quality construction, it’s a great long-term investment.
- This mattress provides a balanced foam feel that many people will find very comfortable.
Read the full Casper Wave Hybrid mattress review
The Casper Wave Hybrid is a comfortable option for hot sleepers and many side sleepers. You can get 15% off the Wave Hybrid mattress simply by clicking the link below and using code MEMDAY.
Best Affordable Luxury Mattress
The DreamCloud mattress is luxury mattress with that hotel innerspring feel that contains pocketed coils, numerous layers of high-density memory foam, and latex as well.
The mattress has a nice balance of comfort and support. The top layers are quite soft and should offer nice pressure relief for most side sleepers, while the coils and top layers should also make this a good match for most back sleepers.
In addition, the DreamCloud features luxury flourishes such as a cashmere cover. This is very soft to the touch and, together with the quilted foam, gives the top of the mattress a soft, pillow-top feel.
The coils allow for a good amount of airflow, and the mattress also contains gel-infused memory foam which helps dissipate heat. Altogether, you shouldn’t be sleeping hot.
Finally, the DreamCloud is one of the more affordable mattresses on this list and it’s a great mattress for the money, so if people want a durable, luxury mattress but don’t want to break the bank, the DreamCloud could work for them.
What Makes The DreamCloud Mattress Stand Out?
- The DreamCloud contains luxury materials such as natural latex, pocketed coils, and a cashmere cover.
- The mattress features a balance of comfort and support and should be a good match for back and side sleepers.
- The inclusion of coils and gel-infused memory foam mean this should be a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The mattress includes durable materials, so it should be longer-lasting.
- The DreamCloud is a very affordable luxury mattress and an excellent value overall.
The full breakdown and DreamCloud mattress review is available here.
The DreamCloud is a high-quality hybrid mattress that is sold for a value price - click the button to save $200 on the DreamCloud mattress and get $399 of free accessories.
Best Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
Nectar Premier Copper
The Nectar Premier Copper mattress is a newer offering from Nectar. This high-end model is its most luxurious mattress yet. Mastering the design of the all-foam mattress, the Nectar Premier Copper provides that balanced foam feel that many people are looking for.
Let’s dive into the build of this luxurious memory foam mattress. The Nectar Premier Copper mattress features a cooling copper cover that’s designed to help dissipate your body heat. Inside the mattress, the top comfort layers include gel-infused memory foam infused with Phase Change Material that will also help keep you cool. Finally, there’s a layer of transition foam and a high-density base foam layer to provide long-lasting support.
Overall, this is a mattress we think many people will love. It’s equipped to support many different sleeper types including side sleepers, back sleepers, hot sleepers, and more.
What Makes The Nectar Premier Copper Mattress Stand Out?
- This new model is significantly cooler than the original Nectar mattress. Even hot sleepers can sleep comfortably on this all-foam mattress.
- You get great benefits when you shop with Nectar, including a 365-night sleep trial that gives you plenty of time to figure out if you’ve found the right match.
- It’s a medium firmness (around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale) so it has an average firmness that will suit many types of sleepers.
Read the full Nectar Premier Copper mattress review
The Nectar Premier Copper is Nectar's most advanced, cooling mattress. Click the button get $399 worth of accessories with your purchase.
Best Value Luxury Mattress
The GhostBed Luxe is an awesome choice for people looking for luxury mattress that will last them a long time without breaking the bank. This 13″ all-foam mattress is made with seven layers of foam that offer targeted contouring comfort, pressure relief, responsiveness, bounce, cooling, and support. All those features in one mattress make this a great value choice!
The GhostBed Luxe mattress is an especially good pick for those hot sleepers out there who are tired of sweating through the night. It’s hard to find an all-foam mattress that won’t trap your body heat in the mattress, but the GhostBed Luxe is a mattress that won’t let you down. With gel-infused memory foam and a cover that’s cool to the touch, the GhostBed Luxe should offer a cool night’s sleep.
What Makes The GhostBed Luxe Mattress Stand Out?
- The GhostBed Luxe has a medium-plush feel that will contour to support your body’s natural curvature.
- This mattress is super cooling so hot sleepers can sleep comfortably.
- You get long-lasting comfort and support at a value price.
Read our full GhostBed Luxe mattress review to learn more.
The GhostBed Luxe is a high-profile all-foam mattress that sleeps cool and comfortable. Right now, customers can get 30% off the mattress + 2 free pillows.
Best Luxury Mattress For Side Sleepers
Purple Hybrid Premier
The Purple Hybrid Premier features 4″ of a unique, hyper-elastic gel polymer in its comfort layer that forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure-relieving at the same time.
In fact, the Purple Hybrid Premier offers the best pressure relief of any mattress on this list. When you lie on your side, the gel grid collapses under your shoulders and hips, really letting the pressure melt away. This makes the Purple Hybrid Premier the best mattress for side sleepers as well, especially for heavier people who worry about bottoming out.
The gel grid is also a very durable material, so it shouldn’t sag like some foams are known to do and should stand up to years of use. When combined with the durable coils in the support layer, the Purple Hybrid Premier should be a good, long-term investment.
In addition, the gel grid allows for a good amount of airflow, which means the Purple 4 is almost completely temperature neutral. People shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Purple Hybrid Premier even a little.
In the end, the Purple Hybrid Premier is just a very comfortable, luxury mattress that is going to be a great fit for all different types of sleepers.
What Makes The Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Stand Out?
- It contains a hyper-elastic gel polymer that is simultaneously supportive and comfortable.
- The Purple Hybrid Premier relieves pressure very well and should be a great match for side sleepers.
- It features luxury, durable materials that make it a longer-lasting mattress.
- The mattress is very breathable and could be a good choice for hot sleepers.
The full breakdown and Purple Hybrid Premier mattress review is available here.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is a perfect choice if you are a side sleeper, are looking for a long-term investment, and are a hot sleeper. Get free sheets and 2 free pillows with your purchase of a Purple mattress.
Best Luxury Cooling Mattress
The Brooklyn Sedona mattress is a luxury hybrid mattress that does a great job of keeping sleepers cool.
The Sedona is topped with a woven cover made with a moisture-wicking cooling panel. Underneath, the Sedona has comfort foam, gel-infused memory foam, max density gel memory foam, and high-density transition foam. Plus, the Sedona is supported by an 8″ coil system.
All of these features together makes the Sedona a breathable, cooling mattress that offers a nice balance of pressure-relieving comfort and durable support. Most sleepers will be comfortable in all three sleeping positions on the Sedona with its construction and medium firmness of a 6.5/10.
What Makes The Brooklyn Sedona Mattress Stand Out?
- The Brooklyn Sedona mattress is a great mattress for the money — you get a lot for you pay!
- It comes with many cooling features so hot sleepers can get a good night’s sleep.
- The Sedona offers a great deal of support, making it a great match for back sleepers.
The full breakdown and Brooklyn Sedona mattress review is available here.
The Brooklyn Bedding Sedona is an affordable luxury mattress that is great for hot sleepers. Get 25% off a Brooklyn Bedding Sedona mattress by using code MEMORIAL25.
Best Luxury Mattress For Heavy People – Marten’s Take
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type than I do: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers:
All these mattresses are a great fit for heavier people like myself, but in different ways.
First off, the DreamCloud is a luxury mattress with that hotel feel that has soft top layers and supportive layers beneath that. It is great for back and side sleeping, because of its excellent balance between comfort and support.
I like the WinkBeds mattresses, specifically the WinkBeds Plus, which is made specifically for heavier people like myself. It is extra supportive and great for heavier back and stomach sleepers.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is awesome for side sleeping, because it has such amazing pressure relief. Often when I am side sleeping on some mattresses, I feel myself bottom out. This causes me to feel some serious pressure on my shoulders and hips. This does not happen on the Purple 4, because I press into the gel grid and feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips.
The Saatva Solaire is awesome because it is adjustable. If you buy a Queen- or King-size mattress, each side is adjustable. If you and your partner have different sleeping preferences, you can each set your side to meet your needs, so it is great for couples of many sizes.
In the end, all of these mattresses are a great match for heavier people for different reasons.
If people are looking for a mattress, it is always smart to consider their size and weight. I am not very surprised that Marten found all these mattresses to be a good match for heavier sleepers. They are all high-quality, durable mattresses so they should be a good fit for heavier people with many types of sleeping preferences.
RELATED: Country Living Napa Mattress Review
What Makes A Luxury Mattress?
Luxury is very subjective, especially with mattresses. That said, here are a few criteria that make a mattress more luxurious:
- Durable materials- Even if a mattress feels great, it’s not great if it breaks down after six months, which is why you should consider the durability of the materials used in your mattress. Luxury mattresses often feature high-density foams, coils, and sometimes latex. These add life to the mattress and, while you pay more money up front, the mattress will be a better long-term investment.
- Organic materials- Organic and natural materials can offer several benefits, from reducing a mattress’s eco-footprint to minimizing exposure to chemical irritants. (The latter point is especially helpful for folks who have sensitive skin, allergies, asthma, and so on.) Be aware that on its own, the term “natural” isn’t regulated. To ensure that a mattress lives up to stringent organic standards, look for any of the following labels: Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS, for latex mattresses), and/or the USDA Organic seal. Less stringent (but still meaningful) labels include OEKO-Tex Standard 100, Greenguard, Greenguard Gold, Organic Content Standard 100, and “made with organic [material].”
- Features for sleeping cool- Sleeping hot is a big concern for a lot of consumers, but luxury mattresses often directly address this issue in the construction. They will include gel foam, latex, and performance fabric covers to ensure you don’t overheat at night.
- Additional bells and whistles- There are lots of additional bells and whistles that could be added to a mattress to make it more of a luxury item. A mattress could be flippable, for example, and have two firmness levels in one. The mattress could feature premium fabrics or specialty fabrics (such as Celliant) in its cover.
How To Choose A Luxury Mattress
Not sure how to go about choosing a luxury mattress? That’s understandable! In some ways, “luxury” exists in the eye of the beholder (or, er, the sleeper). This can make it hard to identify what factors to consider when selecting a luxurious mattress. To get started, take the following considerations into account.
- Mattress type. Many types of mattress can fall into the luxury category, including innerspring, latex, memory foam, hybrid, and airbed mattresses. That said, some mattress types are more likely to boast luxury options. For instance, latex mattresses are very durable and can be made from natural rubber trees (in the case of natural latex), which often lends them a more luxurious vibe. Airbeds often fall under the luxurious category because they allow sleepers to customize the firmness of the bed to their personal preferences. And hybrid mattresses can feel extra luxurious thanks to their combination of coils and foams, which often creates a highly comfortable sleeping experience.
- Pressure relief. Any bed that puts pressure on the shoulders, hips, or other sensitive areas is going to feel the opposite of luxurious. So it’s important to consider pressure relief when shopping for a luxury mattress. A sleeper’s perception of a bed’s pressure relief will vary a bit depending on their preferred sleep position; for instance, side sleepers will need a plusher mattress to minimize hot spots at the shoulder and hip, while stomach sleepers won’t require as much cushion.
- Spine alignment. “Luxury” is often synonymous with comfort. So for a mattress to qualify as luxurious, it’s essential that it doesn’t cause or exacerbate back pain. Look for a mattress that promotes healthy spinal alignment in which the hips and spine are aligned with each other in the sleeper’s preferred sleep position(s).
- Cooling. Temperature regulation is another important factor when it comes to enjoying a comfortable night’s sleep. No one will feel like they’re living in the lap of luxury if they’re lying in a pool of their own sweat. Look for cooling features such as perforated foam, breathable covers, gel infusions, and/or coils, which allow for more airflow through a mattress.
- Special features. Mattress brands tend to trot out all the bells and whistles with their luxury mattresses. It’s possible to find mattresses with a variety of special features such as adjustability (meaning the head of the mattress can be tilted up or down), premium materials, customizable air chambers (which change the firmness of the bed), and so on. These features will be more or less appealing to different types of sleepers, so anyone hunting for a luxury mattress should consider their specific needs.
Are Luxury Mattresses Worth The Price?
Folks who crave a luxury mattress often wonder whether the perks justify their heftier price tags. This question is best answered on a case by case basis, but the following pros and cons should inform any mattress shopper’s thinking.
Pros Of Luxury Mattresses
- They tend to be very comfortable mattresses, which can promote quality sleep
- They’re usually very durable, so they’re likely to last for a long time
- They’re more likely to contain organic and natural materials, which can be healthier for sleepers and the environment
- As a general rule, they’re made with premium and/or specialty materials
- It’s possible to find all kinds of special features, from adjustable mattresses to beds with customizable firmness
- They often include features that increase the chances of sleeping cool
Cons Of Luxury Mattresses
- All that luxury comes at a price, and luxury mattresses won’t be accessible to all budgets
- If a sleeper wants some specialty features on a mattress but not all of them, they might end up paying for features that don’t necessarily improve their sleeping experience
- Many luxury mattresses are on the thicker side, which could necessitate purchasing new, extra-deep sheets
- Some luxury mattresses require the use of a specific type of bed frame (for instance, an adjustable mattress needs to be paired with an adjustable base), which could necessitate the purchase of a new frame
For shoppers looking for a premium sleep experience, here’s a glance at our top picks for the best luxury mattresses:
|Saatva Solaire||Editor’s Pick|
|Helix Midnight Luxe||Best Mattress For Couples|
|WinkBeds||Best Luxury Firm Mattress|
|Leesa Legend||Best Luxury Hybrid Mattress|
|Casper Wave Hybrid||Best Mattress For Back Pain|
|DreamCloud||Best Affordable Luxury Mattress|
|Nectar Premier Copper||Best Luxury Memory Foam Mattress|
|GhostBed Luxe||Best Value Mattress|
|Purple Hybrid Premier||Best Mattress For Side Sleepers|
|Brooklyn Bedding Sedona||Best Cooling Mattress|
If you are searching for a luxury mattress, one of these six could be a great match for you. They all feature premium materials and should give you that luxurious night of sleep you have been looking for.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.