However, if you just type “mattress” into your search, you should get ready to sift through hundreds of results. Where are mattress shoppers even supposed to begin?
We’ve done the hard work for you and sifted through to find the best mattresses on Amazon. Take a look at our top picks to learn more about each mattress and decide if one could be a good fit for what you’re looking for.
The Best Mattresses On Amazon
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid
- Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers – Casper Original
- Best Innerspring Mattress – Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid
- Best Memory Foam Alternative – Tuft And Needle
- Best Memory Foam Mattress – AmazonBasics Memory Foam
Well, to make that mattress buying experience so much easier, we’ve put together our list of the best mattresses on Amazon. There’s something here for everyone so read on to see which is the right fit!
Best Amazon Mattresses Compared
In our experience, there really is no one perfect mattress for everyone. That’s why we have chosen five mattresses with different designs, materials, and overall feels.
Best Hybrid Mattress
Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid
Just putting in a quick search for mattresses on Amazon, shoppers are undoubtedly going to come across the Lucid mattresses. They offer a variety of mattress models, from latex to memory foam to hybrids, and they are also sold for a value price. Out of the numerous Lucid options, we are enormous fans of the Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Hybrid mattress. It features 2.5″ of bamboo charcoal and aloe vera-infused memory foam, transition foam, and individually-encased coils.
Like most hybrids, the Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid features an excellent balance of comfort and support. The memory foam on top offers pressure relief and contouring while the coils offer solid support. This type of design is usually ideal for back sleepers, and the Lucid is no exception – back sleepers should feel their hips sink in just the right amount while the mattress provides good overall support.
Light- and medium-weight side sleepers should also get the pressure relief they are looking for on the Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid. The soft memory foam should cradle their shoulders and hips and relieve most of the pressure there. Larger people and those who need more pressure relief can even opt for the 12-inch version of the Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid.
Lastly, this Lucid mattress should be an excellent choice for hot sleepers. The coils should promote a good deal of airflow through the mattress and, while the mattress features memory foam, the bamboo charcoal infusion should keep it from trapping too much heat.
What Makes The Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid Stand Out?
- The mattress offers an excellent balance of comfort and support for back sleepers and good pressure relief for side sleepers.
- The Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid’s memory foam is infused with bamboo charcoal, a material that will help with cooling and heat dissipation.
- The aloe vera infusion should help relax sleepers and also boasts anti-inflammatory properties.
- The Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid comes in two heights, making it easier for shoppers to find the right firmness.
- It is a high-quality mattress that features very comfortable and supportive materials, yet it is sold for a value price.
Read our full Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid mattress review
The Lucid Hybrid mattress is a great value and features a balance of comfort and support, so click the button for the best deal on a Lucid.
Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers
The Casper Original mattress is one of the most popular bed in a box mattresses currently on the market. While it is sold on Casper’s website, it is also a major best-seller on Amazon.
The Casper is an all-foam mattress with a very unique construction. The Casper features a Zoned Support system in its transition layer that is firmer towards the center of the mattress and softer toward the head and foot. This makes the mattress feel firmer or softer depending on one’s sleeping position.
Because of this design, the Casper is an excellent option for combination sleepers and those who switch positions at night. Back sleeping, they will feel a good balance of comfort and support, and their hips should sink in the right amount. The mattress is softer under the shoulder area so, when they are side sleeping, they should feel little pressure there. Stomach sleeping, the Zoned Support should provide enough support under the hips.
While the Casper is an all-foam mattress and features memory foam, it should not make sleepers feel trapped or stuck. That is because the top layer of polyfoam is quite responsive and does not have that slow-moving feel one often finds with memory foam. Combination sleepers should be able to switch between all three positions with great ease.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The mattress features a Zoned Support system that makes the mattress firmer or softer depending on one’s sleeping position.
- The Casper Original mattress features responsive polyfoam on top which makes it easier to move around and reposition at night.
- The mattress boasts a proprietary AirScape technology that should keep the mattress from trapping an extreme amount of heat.
Read the full Casper mattress review
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. You can get 10% off a Casper mattress when you click below and use code CLARITY10.
Best Innerspring Mattress
Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid
One of the reasons many people shop on Amazon is for good deals, even when they are shopping for mattresses. Those who are seeking out a good deal on a mattress should start with the Linenspa 8″ Memory Foam Hybrid. While all of these mattresses are a great value, the Linenspa is easily the most affordable.
The Linenspa features a cover quilted with soft memory foam and a 1.5″ of pressure-relieving comfort foam below that. The support comes from 6.5″ of steel coils. Because the comfort layer is so thin, the Linenspa offers more of an innerspring mattress experience. Those who are used to traditional innerspring mattresses will definitely like the feel of the Linenspa.
The mattress is on the thinner side and, because it doesn’t feature a very thick comfort layer, it might not be the best fit for heavier sleepers. That being said, lightweight sleepers who sleep on their back and stomach should find it to be a good match. Also, parents who need a mattress for kids can save a good deal of money by choosing the Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid.
The Linenspa also comes in heights of 10″ and 12″ – larger sleepers and those who need more comfort and support can also choose one of their other heights.
What Makes The Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid Stand Out?
- The Linenspa is the best innerspring mattress on Amazon.
- The mattress comes in three heights, offering shoppers multiple firmness options.
- The coils promote airflow through the mattress, making for a cooler night of sleep.
- The Linenspa is a simpler, affordable option for lightweight adults, children, and teenagers. See our best mattresses for lightweight sleepers.
Read the full Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid mattress review
The Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid is a comfortable and supportive value mattress. Click the button for the best deal on a Linenspa.
Best Memory Foam Alternative
Tuft And Needle
While all-foam mattresses are great in many ways, they do have their drawbacks. Namely, they tend to make people sleep hot and feel stuck or trapped in the mattress. That is why we like the Tuft and Needle mattress – it tackles these issues head-on.
The Tuft and Needle contains a proprietary Adaptive Foam that is more breathable and cooling than standard memory foam. It is more breathable than memory foam, and it also contains graphite gel to assist with heat dissipation. These materials should ensure that hot sleepers don’t wake up covered in sweat.
In addition, the Adaptive Foam is more responsive than memory foam, and this makes it much easier to move around on the Tuft and Needle. Switching positions shouldn’t be an issue on the Tuft and Needle mattress.
The Tuft and Needle also features a good balance of comfort and support and should be an especially good match for back sleeping. Also, light- and medium-weight combination sleepers should also feel comfortable and supported in all three positions.
What Makes The Tuft And Needle Stand Out?
- The mattress features breathable foam and graphite gel to keep the mattress from trapping heat.
- The Tuft and Needle’s Adaptive Foam is more responsive and shouldn’t make sleepers feel stuck.
- While the mattress costs more than a few others on this list, it is still an excellent value for such a good mattress.
Read the full Tuft and Needle mattress review
The Tuft & Needle is a great value mattress that is also extremely comfortable. Click the button to save 15%. Use code CLARITY15 to save.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
AmazonBasics Memory Foam
We can’t talk about Amazon mattresses without mentioning their own line of mattresses. They offer a variety of models with different designs and materials, but we wanted to talk about their memory foam mattresses.
The AmazonBasics Memory Foam mattress comes in four thicknesses: 6″, 8″, 10″, and 12″. We reviewed the 12″ model, and we were impressed by its thick layer of memory foam right on top. We found this model to be ideal for side sleeping as it relieved most of the pressure on our shoulders and hips.
While it does contain memory foam, the mattress shouldn’t make sleepers overheat or get trapped in the mattress. Deeper in the mattress, there is some good ventilation that should allow for air to flow through the mattress. In addition, the memory foam is a bit more responsive than some other types, and we did not feel stuck in the mattress.
All that being said, the AmazonBasics is a somewhat simple mattress, and it should be a better option for lightweight adults, children, and teenagers. Parents and those who don’t need so much support can save some money by choosing one of the AmazonBasics memory foam mattresses.
What Makes The AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress Stand Out?
- The AmazonBasics is a high-quality memory foam mattress that is sold for a value price.
- The mattress offers the benefits of a memory foam mattress with few of the drawbacks.
- The AmazonBasics Memory Foam mattress should be a good fit for side sleepers.
- Lightweight adults, children, and teens should get enough comfort and support from the AmazonBasics.
Read our full AmazonBasics mattress review
The AmazonBasics memory foam mattress should be an affordable option for lightweight sleepers and side sleepers. Click the button for the best deal on AmazonBasics.
How To Find The Best Mattress On Amazon
As we mentioned before, it can be quite overwhelming to shop for a mattress on Amazon. Whether you decide to choose one of these five mattresses or want to keep looking, there are some things to keep in mind when choosing an Amazon mattress.
Keep reading to learn how to buy a mattress online.
Pay Attention To Mattress Type And Materials
Looking at Amazon, there are a few major types that shoppers can choose from. Each type has its benefits and drawbacks and offers a different feel and experience:
- Memory foam. Memory foam mattresses are some of the most popular models online and for good reason. They can provide excellent pain and pressure relief and are just plain comfortable. However, some sleepers complain about sleeping hot when they are on a memory foam mattress. Also, memory foam can make it more difficult for sleepers to move around and reposition at night.
- Innerspring. When many people think of mattresses, they think of a traditional innerspring mattress. These types of mattresses can provide excellent support, breathability, and durability. At the same time, they can be on the pricier side and they aren’t the best at motion isolation.
- Hybrid. Hybrid mattresses can offer the best of both worlds – the comfort of a soft foam layer and the support of coils. While hybrids vary in terms of what they have in the comfort layer, most have something soft on top and then coils beneath that. They are often more supportive than memory foam mattresses, making them better for larger people. Also, the coils allow for a good deal of airflow, making hybrids a good option for hot sleepers. There aren’t too many drawbacks to hybrids, but they can cost more than all-foam mattress options.
- Latex. Latex mattresses are known for their durability, support, and bounce. Whether it is all-natural or synthetic, latex adds some real life to a mattress, making latex mattresses a good long-term investment. It is also able to handle heavier weights and its response makes it very easy to move around. Those who want something more eco-friendly and free of harmful chemicals will also like all-natural latex mattresses. However, latex mattresses aren’t the best with pressure relief, motion transfer, and they can be pricier than other types of mattresses.
Consider Your Sleeping Position For The Best Mattress Firmness
Shoppers should definitely think about their sleeping position as this will determine what type and firmness they should be looking for. For instance, those who need the best mattress for back sleepers usually want to find something with a good balance of comfort and support. This means that they could be better off with a medium-firm hybrid mattress.
Side sleepers need more pressure relief than other types of sleepers, so they usually want to opt for a softer mattress. While side sleepers don’t have to choose a memory foam mattress, this material is usually ideal.
Stomach sleeping, people need a firmer mattress that will give them the proper amount of support across their body, especially under their hips. Innerspring and latex mattresses are usually the best mattresses for stomach sleepers as they are known for offering firm support.
Keep Your Body Type And Size In Mind
You should always take your own size and weight into account when shopping for a mattress on Amazon. This is because your weight will determine how firm, supportive, and comfortable a mattress really feels.
For instance, a lightweight side sleeper might find a certain memory foam to be soft and pressure relieving. However, a heavier side sleeper might press further into that mattress and find the mattress to be firm and uncomfortable.
On the other hand, a lightweight back sleeper might find an innerspring mattress to be quite firm, while a heavier sleeper could really press in and feel the mattress soften under their weight. Also, make sure to see our best mattresses for heavy people.
Simply put, a mattress will not feel the same for all people – make sure to factor size and bodyweight into any Amazon mattress purchase.
Look For Temperature Regulation
While this isn’t the case for everyone, many sleepers complain about sleeping hot on some online mattresses. Some mattress materials, such as memory foam, can trap heat and direct it back at sleepers; this can make for a sweaty, uncomfortable night of sleep!
Those who struggle with sleeping hot could consider an innerspring or hybrid mattress as their coils allow for good airflow, and this can help keep the mattress cool. Latex is also known for being a breathable, cooling material, so a latex hybrid could be a great idea.
If you do want a memory foam mattress, you should make sure it contains other cooling components. This could be a cooling cover with Phase Change Material or some sort of gel or graphite infusion.
For Couples, Pay Attention To Motion Transfer/Isolation Factors
Those who need a mattress for couples want to consider how each individual’s movement will affect the other. Some mattresses that do not isolate this motion can cause sleep partners to disturb one another at night.
To make sure that each partner is sleeping soundly, couples should seek out a mattress that cuts down on this motion transfer. When it comes to motion transfer, memory foam is one of the best materials, so couples might want to focus on an all-foam mattress or hybrid that contains memory foam.
Look For Mattress Durability
Shopping for a mattress on Amazon, you want to consider how long each model is going to last. While some Amazon mattresses might be extremely affordable, they might not last for the longest amount of time. On the other hand, some more pricey mattresses might offer more years of use and could be a good long-term investment.
Basically, you should consider how much you want to spend and whether or not you are getting the best mattress for the money you’re paying. If the mattress does not feature many durable materials, it should be more affordable. Likewise, if the mattress is on the pricier side, you should make sure it is a wise investment and features high-density materials such as latex foam.
Read The Fine Print: Sleep Trials, Warranties, And Return Policies
One of the drawbacks of online mattresses is that you can’t try them out before purchasing. That is why so many bed-in-a-box companies and online mattress producers offer a sleep trial. This gives you some time to decide whether your new mattress is a good fit or not.
If the mattress you choose is more expensive, make sure that it comes with a long sleep trial, a solid warranty, and a fair return policy. No one wants to shell out hundreds of dollars for a mattress that doesn’t give them the comfort and support they are really looking for.
Why Buy A Mattress On Amazon?
There are many benefits to buying a mattress on Amazon. First off, it is much more convenient than shopping for a mattress in the store. It allows you to avoid pushy salespeople and calmly choose the best option for you.
It is also easy to look at all the numerous brands on one platform. Customer reviews also offer shoppers an opportunity to see how the mattress worked for real people.
Also, if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you might get even better deals with Amazon promotions and an Amazon credit card.
How To Buy A Mattress On Amazon
When it’s time to finally buy that Amazon mattress, here are some steps you can take to make sure it is as easy as possible!
- Start by signing into your personal Amazon account.
- Choose your preferred mattress model and size.
- Next, click “Add To Cart” if you want to continue shopping or “Buy Now” if you want to go directly to checkout.
- Once in checkout, you will put in the delivery and payment information before being directed to the summary screen.
- If all the information looks correct, you can then press “Place Order.”
- You will then receive a confirmation email showing that the order is confirmed. You will then receive an email when the mattress has shipped.
Amazon Mattress FAQs
Now, we would like to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Amazon mattresses:
What Is The Best Mattress On Amazon?
While there is no one “best” mattress on Amazon, we have put together this list of our five favorites. Customers should think about their sleeping position, firmness preferences, and size when choosing between the Lucid, Casper, Linenspa, Tuft and Needle, and AmazonBasics mattresses.
What Is The Best Memory Foam Mattress On Amazon?
In our experience, there are plenty of good memory foam mattresses on Amazon. Those who want a good value should consider the AmazonBasics Memory Foam mattress and those who want something a bit more advanced should look at the Nectar mattress.
What Is The Most Comfortable Amazon Mattress?
Out of the numerous Amazon mattresses currently available, we think the Lucid 10″ Memory Foam Hybrid is the most comfortable. Its slow-moving memory foam relieves almost all pressure when we are side sleeping and the coils still provide good support when we are back sleeping.
Which Amazon mattress is best for side sleepers?
The Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid is one of the best mattresses for side sleeping found on Amazon. Its thick layer of memory foam relieves pressure exceptionally well.
Featured image: Kite_rin/Shutterstock