Latex mattresses can have a lot to offer. They are usually hypoallergenic, chemical-free, and they can sleep cool. However, a high price point can often accompany these fine features.
While it is not the most affordable mattress on the market, the Zenhaven mattress is priced very low for a latex mattress. It is made by The Saatva Company, producers of the Saatva and Loom & Leaf mattresses.
The mattress incorporates Talalay latex, a responsibly sourced material with quite a bit of bounce. I actually reviewed the mattress before, and I was very excited to try it again.
Will you sleep cool and clean on this all-natural mattress? Read on for my full review.
You Might Want To Pick The Zenhaven If:
- You are looking for an all-natural mattress. This mattress contains many layers of all-natural Talalay latex. This material is responsibly sourced from rubber trees and actually absorbs CO2 during its production. Also, it is hypoallergenic, toxin-free, and resistant to dust mites.
- You are a hot sleeper. If you overheat at night, the Zenhaven might be a good choice for you. The latex makes this a breathable mattress and it should keep you cool while you sleep.
- You are looking for a long-term investment. Talalay latex is a very high-quality, durable material. Because of this, the mattress should stand up to years of use. If you want a mattress to last you for some time, this mattress should work for you.
- You are a back or stomach sleeper. If you sleep on your back or stomach, you should find the support you need on the Zenhaven. Also, given that this is a flippable mattress, you should be able to find the right side to support you just right.
You Might Not Want To Pick The Zenhaven If:
- You want a more affordable mattress. While this is a good value for an all-natural latex mattress, it still comes with a higher price point. If you aren’t looking to spend so much, a latex mattress might not be the best choice for you.
- You are a side sleeper. Even though this mattress has two sides, neither is a very good fit for side sleepers. I did not feel good pressure relief on either side so, if you sleep in this position, you might want to find something softer overall.
- You don’t like a bouncy mattress. The latex in this mattress has a very bouncy, responsive feel. If you don’t like this feel and prefer to sink into your mattress, you might want to look at a different mattress.
- The mattress is 10” tall.
- The soft cover is knitted with organic cotton.
- From the Luxury Plush side down, there is first a flame-retardant layer of wool.
- Next, there is 1.5” layer of Luxury Plush Talalay latex. It is zoned, so the firmness will vary across the surface of the mattress.
- This is followed by a 3” Talalay latex Plush base layer.
- Then, there is a 3” Talalay latex Firm base layer.
- Next, there is a 1.5” layer of Gentle Firm Talalay latex.
- Finally, there is another flame-retardant flame layer and the same knitted, soft cover.
- The mattress is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The Zenhaven is flippable. It has a Gentle Firm side and a Luxury Plush side. The Gentle Firm is firmer than the Luxury Plush and has a thinner comforter layer.
- Both sides of the mattress feature a zoned comfort layer. This means the mattress is more supportive under the heavier parts of your body and more pressure relieving near the shoulders and other areas.
- The Talalay Latex is all-natural. If you prefer to stay away from chemicals, this mattress could be a great option.
- Latex mattresses are usually very bouncy, and the Zenhaven is no exception. It is very responsive, making it easy to move around on the mattress.
- All-natural latex is also one of the more durable materials out there. If you compare this to a foam mattress, the Zenhaven should last much longer.
- Latex is also a very breathable material. So, the Zenhaven should be a cooler sleeping mattress.
How Does This Mattress Compare To The Saatva And Loom & Leaf Mattresses?
If you are looking at the Zenhaven mattress, you might want to know how it compares to the other mattresses from The Saatva Company.
Comparing this mattress the Saatva, the Zenhaven is a latex mattress, while the Saatva is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top.
The latex gives the Zenhaven a bouncier foam feel, and the Saatva has that traditional spring, pillow top feel. Also, the mattresses are very close in terms of firmness. The Saatva and the Gentle Firm side of the Zenhaven both feel like a 7/10.
The Loom & Leaf mattress is an all-foam mattress. The mattress has a firmness of 6.5/10, which is pretty much the same as the Luxury Plush side of the Zenhaven. In terms of feel, the Zenhaven has that bouncy foam feel, while the Loom & Leaf has that memory foam feel. The Zenhaven is much more responsive, and you will sink into the Loom & Leaf more.
In terms of price, the Zenhaven is going to be more expensive than the Saatva and the Loom & Leaf. It costs quite a lot to naturally source latex, so this is no surprise. With this higher price, you get more durable mattress. The Talalay latex should make the Zenhaven a longer lasting mattress than the Saatva and Loom & Leaf.
Firmness And Feel
The Zenhaven is a flippable mattress, so it has two firmness options. That being said, they both felt close in terms of firmness. The Gentle Firm side felt like a 7/10 and the Luxury Plush side felt like 6.5/10.
On the Gentle Firm side, I felt very good support on my back. My hips don’t sink in too far. On my side, however, I feel some pressure on my shoulders and hips. When I move to my stomach, I feel well supported.
On the Luxury Plush side, I feel even better when I lie on my back. My hips sink in just the right amount and the top comfort supports my lumbar area.
Again, on my side, I am feeling some pressure on my shoulders and hips. It is less than I felt on the Gentle Firm side, but I think this mattress might be too firm overall for most side sleepers. On my stomach, I feel decently supported, but I think most stomach sleepers will prefer the Gentle Firm side.
In terms of feel, both sides have a bouncy foam feel. The latex is very responsive, so it bounces back quickly. This means it should be very easy to move around on the Zenhaven.
When it comes to handling motion transfer, latex mattresses don’t perform as well as a memory foam mattress. So, testing out the Zenhaven, I was not surprised that the mattress did not deal with motion transfer particularly well.
When I placed a water glass on the mattress and pushed into the surrounding area, the water was disturbed somewhat. Also, when Marten moved around on the other side of the mattress, I did feel his movements on my side of the mattress.
This is worth noting if you sleep with a partner. It is possible you could feel them moving around at night.
As a medium-firm mattress, I didn’t expect the mattress to compress too much when I sat near the edge. Sitting down, I did indeed feel like I could comfortably sit and tie my shoes.
However, lying down near the edge, I did get the feeling that I might roll off the mattress. This is worth noting if sleep with a partner or want to use the full surface area of the mattress.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about the mattress:
The Gentle Firm feels like a 7.5/10, and the Luxury Plush feels like a 7/10.
On the Gentle Firm side, I feel very nice overall support when I am on my back. My hips sink in just the right amount. When I move to my side, I feel some pressure on my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, I also feel good overall support.
On the Luxury Plush side, I also feel good overall support. I feel less supported than I did on the Gentle Firm side, however. On my side, I am still feeling pressure on my shoulders and hips. When I am on my stomach, I am not getting enough support on this side of the mattress.
If you are a heavier back sleeper, both sides could work for you. If you are a heavier side sleeper, I would look for a softer mattress overall. If you a stomach sleeper, I would use the Gentle Firm side.
While Marten thought the mattress was a bit firmer than I did, he agreed that the mattress is a good fit for him when he is on his back. Also, like me, he thought the Gentle Firm side was more fit for stomach sleeping. This makes me think that even larger back and stomach sleepers will find good support on the Zenhaven.
RELATED: Best Mattresses For Heavy People
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out
- The Zenhaven is an all-natural latex mattress and should be a great choice for those who want to avoid chemicals and allergens.
- While it does cost more than many bed-in-a-box mattresses, it is still a very good deal for a latex mattress.
- This should also be a cooler sleeping mattress. The latex does a good job of dissipating heat, so you shouldn’t sleep hot on the Zenhaven.
- The latex is also very durable, so this mattress should be a good, long-term investment.
- It is a flippable mattress, so you have two firmness options.
- Most back and stomach sleepers should get nice support on the Zenhaven mattress.
If you are looking for a latex mattress but don’t want to pay exorbitant prices, the Zenhaven could work for you. It isn’t the most affordable mattress but, for a latex mattress, it is a very good deal.
Back and stomach sleepers and those worrying about sleeping hot should find what they need on this all-natural mattress. However, side sleepers and those who prefer to sink into their mattress might want to look elsewhere.
The Zenhaven comes with a 120-night sleep trial, a 20-year Warranty, as well as free shipping and in-home setup. Financing is also available.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Awara Mattress Review – A Supportive Latex Hybrid? - April 16, 2019
- GhostBed Vs Casper – Which Should You Choose? - March 26, 2019
- GhostBed Flex Mattress Review – A Cool Hybrid? - March 22, 2019