The Bear Mattress is a memory foam product made especially for athletes. It follows the new bed-in-a-box model, where it is available only online and aims to provide a better value product than mattresses available in stores. The unique part of the mattress is a celliant technology that helps athletes recover while they sleep.
I’m not an expert on the celliant technology, but I did a little research plus my standard mattress review to help you decide if Bear Mattress is a good fit for your sleep preferences. (See how Bear Mattress compares to other products HERE). I would suggest you do your own research on celliant technology and then look at the other aspects of the mattress to see if you would like the feel.
Watch my Bear Mattress video review
You will love the Bear Mattress if:
- You are an active person/athlete – Bear Mattress is the only mattress I know of (anywhere near this price point) that incorporates the celliant technology. This technology aims to help athletes recover more quickly, so it is a great thing to have in your mattress.
- You want a very comfortable mattress – I try a lot of mattresses, and regardless of the athlete-focus, I actually think Bear Mattress is among the most comfortable mattresses I have tried.
- You like the support and comfort of memory foam – Bear Mattress uses memory foam on top, which offers support and pressure relief while the quick-response foam adds a touch of bounce so you don’t sink completely into the bed, making it very comfortable.
- You want great value – the mattress is shipped from the factory to your door, skipping the costs associated with running a retail location. This makes it so that Bear Mattress can sell a high quality product at a fraction of the price of comparable mattresses in stores.
You may NOT like Bear Mattress if:
- You have a strong soft/firm preference – Bear Mattress only comes at one firmness level targeting the average sleeper. Thus if you like a very soft or very firm mattress, you should look elsewhere.
- You don’t like the memory foam feel – some spring lovers think they’ll magically love memory foam when getting a high quality mattress. If you prefer a spring mattress, there’s nothing memory foam can do to change your mind.
Does Celliant technology work?
Celliant is a fiber including thermoactive minterals. These minerals will convert radiant body heat into infrared energy, and send this energy back into the body. These infrared rays are known to have positive effects on the body. Personally I don’t know much about the science, but I did find a number of blogs and researchers online that speak to the positive impact of Celliant technology.
There are a number of clothes and other materials made for athletes that also incorporate this technology. Personally I don’t really feel comfortable talking to its effectiveness for recovery after sleeping on it for a week, so I suggest doing your own research on this material.
So all this extra energy – does that mean it sleeps hot?
Simple answer – no. I had no issues with the mattress sleeping hot. There is a scientific explanation, where infrared rays don’t pass heat like other types of rays, but again I’m not an expert. But believe me, sleeping hot is a big issue for me, and I didn’t have that complaint with the Bear Mattress.
Feel and Firmness
The mattress comes in one firmness setting, about a 6.5/10 on the firmness scale (with 10 being the most firm). You can see in the video the typical “hand print” that Tempurpedic made famous, and that many associate with memory foam. However there is also a layer of quick response foam, making the mattress more responsive than the standard memory foam mattress.
This makes it so you get the comfort/support tradeoff of memory foam, but don’t sink into the mattress too much and feel stuck. Overall I thought it was a pretty good balance.
You can see the motion transfer of the mattress is very minimal, thus a great mattress for couples if one is easily disturbed by movement.
Other Key Things To Note About The Bear Mattress
The Bear Mattress offers many of the same perks that the online-only mattress companies offer, including:
- 100 Night Risk-Free Trial (return it within 100 days, no questions asked, for a full refund)
- Made in USA
- Charitable giveback on each mattress sale
- 10 Year Warranty
- Free Shipping
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- The celliant cover is definitely unique. If you are an active person, this is definitely something to look into.
- The graphite gel memory foam does a much better job of dissipating heat than traditional memory foam. If you really like memory foam but are sensitive to sleeping hot, the Bear mattress could be a good option.
- The foams used in the mattress are high quality and durable. This mattress should last longer than many of the other mattresses in this category.
- At $800 for a Queen (after a $50 coupon), the mattress is priced very favorably compared to many of its competitors. It represents a really good value.
Speaking just to the comfort and quality of the mattress, I think Bear Mattress is a great option, particularly for memory foam lovers. The Celliant technology is definitely intriguing – and being that this is the only mattress at this price point targeting athletes, I think that an active person should definitely put this mattress at the top of their options list.