- Best Natural Latex Mattresses
- Top Latex Hybrids
- Top All Latex Mattress
- Best Latex-Like Mattresses
- Best For Side Sleepers
- Best For Back Pain
- Best For The Money
- Best For Stomach Sleepers
- What Are The Benefits Of Latex Mattresses?
- What Are The Drawbacks Of Latex Mattresses?
- How Do Latex And Memory Foam Mattresses Compare?
- How Do Latex And Spring Mattresses Compare?
- What If I Have A Latex Allergy?
- What to look for in a latex mattress
- Final Recommendation
The other potential benefit of latex is that it can be all-natural. Most companies opt to make their latex mattresses at least part synthetic due to cost, but there are some 100% natural latex mattresses available – which can never be the case for memory foam. As people start to move towards more natural products, I think latex will become more popular.
I’ve slept on a lot of latex mattresses at this point (with more on the way), so I’ll highlight a few of my favorites by category.
Best Natural Latex Mattresses
A lot of companies claim that their mattress is “natural” or “organic,” but oftentimes you will find out that isn’t the case. The only way for a mattress to be considered natural is for it to use natural latex.
Natural latex mattresses are breathable, durable, and resilient. They are also free from chemicals that some people worry about. I’ve reviewed several natural latex mattresses and have a few favorites.
- Zenhaven (overall)
- Brentwood Home Cedar (most comfortable/best for side sleepers)
- Plushbeds (most number of options)
- Spindle (lowest priced)
Aside from just personal preference, Zenhaven has a few extra features that make it stand out. It is flippable, meaning it has two firmness levels in one mattress (see more details HERE). This maximizes the chances that you will like the firmness of your mattress. It also has “zoned” comfort layers, which means it gives you extra support where you need it the most on your body. Those are two features I haven’t seen elsewhere. It’s also very reasonably priced for a natural latex mattress.
What Makes Zenhaven Stand Out?
- The mattress is flippable, having a firm and soft side to maximize the chances you’ll get the right firmness for you
- The top layers are zoned to give you extra support under the middle parts of your body
- The mattress is made by the Saatva company, which is well known for its amazing customer service and for its easy white glove delivery
WHY THE BRENTWOOD HOME CEDAR?
The second layer of latex in the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress is computer designed with upward facing grooves. The targeted indentations give extra comfort to your shoulders, back, and legs. The result? A natural latex mattress that has the best pressure relief. Our writer Katie had zero pressure points sleeping on the mattress. Overall, this is a very comfortable mattress.
What Makes Brentwood Home Cedar Stand Out?
- For a natural latex mattress, it might have the best pressure relief, making it potentially the best candidate for side sleepers who want natural latex
- With its pocketed coil support system, it may be the most supportive and durable option for heavier sleepers. This mattress should last a very long time
- It has additional luxury finishes, such as hand tufting and quilting with organic cotton
Plushbeds is a really great company to look at if you want options. My favorite is the 9″ Botanical Bliss, but you should definitely look at all their offerings. You can get mattresses with different thickness and different support layers. Because of their manufacturing process they are able to bring the cost down significantly, so in addition to having lots of great options, you can also get a great value.
What Makes Plushbeds Stand Out?
- The company gives you a lot of options. You get a couple of different models and then you get to select how thick you want your mattress to be and what firmness level you want. This level of customization is rare in the natural latex category.
- The company has been around a long time and has refined its products over a long time span
- The company runs sales at different times of the year. Getting one of their mattresses during a sale can provide perhaps the best value in the market.
Spindle spends very little money on marketing and overhead, so it is able to price its product at a very affordable price. They have different firmness level options and actually have a quiz that will help you get the perfect firmness for you. If you want to save some extra cash on your mattress purchase, the Spindle could be a great choice.
What Makes Spindle Stand Out?
- Their mattress might be the most affordable all natural latex mattress in the market
- The website has a quiz that will tell you the best firmness level for you
- The company offers four firmness level options
- You can simply reconfigure the individual layers of the mattress if you don’t think you have the right firmness
Top Latex Hybrids
Latex hybrids are a popular type of mattress right now because they incorporate the benefits of latex with the benefits of other types of mattresses. For example, putting latex over memory foam means you can potentially get cooling, bounce, and great pressure relief all in one mattress. If you are interested in latex but think other types of mattress might be good too, then a hybrid could be a great choice. Here is one very intriguing option:
- Ghostbed – One of the better values you will find
These are overall high quality mattresses, rating well in my general mattress reviews page.
Ghostbed uses a latex over memory foam construction. This means you get the cooling and bounce of latex while also getting the pressure relief of memory foam. It’s a great combination and they also use durable materials. At $795 for a Queen, it’s also a great value. Check out our full Ghostbed review.
What Makes Ghostbed Stand Out?
- You get the cooling and bounce of latex but the comfort and pressure relief of memory foam
- The mattress is one the best values you will find on the market
- For a bed-in-a-box mattress, it is going to be one of the most durable mattresses out there (making the value of the mattress that much more compelling)
Top All Latex Mattress
Though the hybrids are popular, some people will prefer an all-latex mattress (by all-latex we mean all comfort layers, though some of these options will still use core foam as the base layer). These tend to have a lot of bounce (for a foam mattress) and can potentially be all-natural/organic as well (my favorites are all natural by chance). My top latex mattresses are:
As mentioned above as well, Zenhaven is great for a few reasons. It uses natural latex, so it is free of chemicals that some people worry about. It is also flippable, meaning it has two firmness levels in one (see more HERE). That maximizes the chances you will like the firmness of your mattress. It also has a smart zoned construction where it gives you extra support where you need it the most. It’s also very affordable for a natural latex mattress.
Spindle spends almost no money on overhead, so it is able to price it products at a very affordable level. For a natural latex mattress, the price is about as low as it could possibly get. It’s a great company with tons of experience in the industry. They also guide you to get the proper firmness level with a quiz.
Best Latex-Like Mattresses
There are some mattresses that have the feel and many of the same qualities as latex but don’t actually contain latex in them. The companies who make them claim that their foams have even better qualities than latex. I will list out three top picks here.
- Helix (good if you want a mattress customized to your preferences)
- Brooklyn Bedding (they use TitanFlex foam, which is said to be more durable and sleep cooler than latex)
If you don’t believe there is one best mattress for everyone, Helix might be the choice for you. They customize the mattress to you based on your characteristics (age, weight, etc.) and preferences. They use microcoils and a proprietary foam called Dynamic Foam, which will remind people of latex with its performance/qualities.
What Makes Helix Stand Out?
- This is one of the only mattresses I’ve ever seen where the company customizes the mattress to you based on your preferences and sleeping characteristics
- This can be a great option if you have any specific needs (like if you want an extra soft or firm mattress or you sleep really hot)
- This can also be a great option if you really just don’t know what you want. They company can use its algorithm to do all the hard work of finding the best mattress for you
WHY BROOKLYN BEDDING?
Brooklyn Bedding used to be a latex mattress. However, the company created a new foam that they believe is better than latex. It is supposed to have a lot of the same qualities but be more durable and will sleep cooler. If those are important qualities to you, then it’s definitely a mattress worth checking out.
What Makes Brooklyn Bedding Stand Out?
- The Signature mattress is going to be more durable than just about any other mattress in its price range.
- The mattress will sleep cooler than most other mattresses
- The comfort layer provides great pressure relief without the feeling of getting stuck
Best For Side Sleepers
If you are a side sleeper, the number one thing you are going to want is pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. If you feel pressure on those areas of your body, you won’t ever be able to get comfortable and you will most likely toss and turn at night. Overall, you won’t find yourself having very restful sleep. Latex doesn’t always have the best pressure relief, so you need to do some extra due diligence if you sleep on your side.
We think that the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress is the best for side sleepers. It has a nice medium feel overall without feeling too firm. The company put targeted grooves into its latex to give extra pressure relief on the shoulders. Our writer Katie did not feel any pressure points when sleeping on her side. When it comes to natural latex, we think the extra steps Brentwood Home has taken in the construction of the Cedar mattress make it an ideal mattress for side sleepers.
Best For Back Pain
I am not a doctor, so please take everything I say here with a grain of salt. You should consult a physician if you have any serious pain issues. Having said that, if you have back pain you will want a mattress that doesn’t make things worse and potentially can help alleviate any pain/stress. Studies show that a mattress that is firmer than average is best for people with back pain. You will also want a mattress that is not going to sag over time. A lot of times people develop back pain after their mattress starts to sag and break down.
We like the Avocado mattress for those with back pain. The pocketed coil support system is a highly supportive and durable material that should be good for people of all weights. The natural latex is very durable as well. If you get the option without the pillow top, the mattress will be firmer than average, which is ideal in this case. It’s also just a great value overall, so I would strongly recommend giving the Avocado mattress some consideration.
Best For The Money
If you want to get an all natural latex mattress, you have to understand that you will pay a higher price for it. Natural latex is very difficult and costly to source. Most of it comes from the rubber trees in Sri Lanka. So not only is it a costly process, but also the raw materials are sourced from places far away from the United States. When we talk about getting the best mattress for the money, the price tag is still going to be much higher than with other types of mattresses. You should also note that natural latex is very durable, so the mattresses you can get will be a good value because they last so long.
We think that the Spindle mattress is the best for the money in this category. You can get a Queen Spindle for $1,349.99. Again, while that may seem like a high price tag, so a mattress that uses natural latex that is quite a good deal and is better priced than just about any of its competitors. The company has very little overhead and doesn’t spend much money at all on advertising. For that reason, it is able to price its mattress the point it does. If you want the best value possible, Spindle is a great place to look.
Best For Stomach Sleepers
Stomach sleepers have different needs from side and even back sleepers. Out of the three sleeping positions, typically stomach sleepers are going to want the firmest mattress. Pressure relief is not really an issue when sleeping on your stomach because the pressure is evenly distributed across most of your body. You want a mattress that won’t let your mid-section sink into the mattress and throw your spine out of alignment.
We think the Zenhaven is the best option for stomach sleepers. The Zenhaven is a flippable mattress with two different firmness levels in one. In this case, we are referring to the firmer side of the mattress. It is definitely heavily on the firm side. It feels very supportive and it won’t let your mid-section sink into the mattress too much. Overall it’s a great value that has a nice, luxurious feel to it. The mattress is made by the Saatva company, which is well known for having tremendous customer service. Take a look at Zenhaven if you sleep mainly on your stomach.
What Are The Benefits Of Latex Mattresses?
There are plenty of reasons why latex mattresses are becoming more and more popular. We’ve seen numerous new brands come out into the market recently. This type of mattress can offer a lot of different benefits:
- Durability– Natural latex mattresses will typically last longer than memory foam or poly foam. If you are viewing your purchase as a long-term investment, then this could be a huge benefit.
- Bounce– This is more of a personal preference type of thing, but latex mattresses are known for having great bounce. This makes the mattresses potentially good for sex and they make it easier to move around in the bed and/or switch sleeping positions.
- No Stuck In The Mud Feeling– Memory foam owners often complain about the feeling of getting stuck in their mattress. That is not the case with latex. The surface is very responsive and you don’t slowly sink into it. You can get good pressure relief with latex without the extra sinking in feeling.
- Natural– Natural latex is really the only way for a mattress to be considered “Green.” Some companies may claim that their mattress is eco-friendly, but unless they use natural latex that is not actually going to be the case. If you want a real green mattress, latex is the way to go.
What Are The Drawbacks Of Latex Mattresses?
- Natural latex mattresses are very dense and thus very heavy. You will need at least two people to move the mattresses around successfully. This isn’t that big of a deal once you get your mattress set up, but if you think you’ll ever have to move your mattress very much, then this could be something to consider.
- Natural latex is very difficult and costly to source. As a result, these mattresses tend to cost quite a bit. You have to be willing to pay a lot of money to get these mattresses. These mattresses will last a long time, so the value is really there, but they may not be in everyone’s budget.
- Some people may not like the bouncy nature of latex. This is a personal preference thing, so make sure you understand the type of feel that you like before jumping in and making a purchase.
How Do Latex And Memory Foam Mattresses Compare?
- Latex mattresses will be more breathable. The foam is more open-celled and not as prone to trapping heat as memory foam does.
- Latex mattresses on the whole should be more durable than memory foam mattresses will be.
- Latex will have more bounce, while memory foam will have a slow, sinking-in feeling. This is a personal preference type of thing, so one is not necessarily better than the other in this regard.
- Memory foam will have better motion isolation, potentially making it more appropriate for couples.
- Memory foam will have a little bit better pressure relief.
- Latex will be a more green option than memory foam.
How Do Latex And Spring Mattresses Compare?
- Both mattress types will be breathable and should sleep cool throughout the night (no advantage of one type over the other)
- Both mattresses will have good bounce to them
- Latex mattresses will offer a more “green” option, as spring mattresses usually come with a poly foam pillow top (made from petrochemicals)
- Latex mattress typically should be more durable than the average spring mattress
What If I Have A Latex Allergy?
A lot of readers have asked me if there is any truth that latex mattresses will be a problem for people with a latex allergy. There is no truth to that rumor. All credible studies show that you will not have a reaction to latex in your bedding. That is because the latex goes through a washing process that removes any proteins from the material that would potentially cause a reaction. For this and other reasons, you shouldn’t worry about having a reaction on latex bedding.
What to look for in a latex mattress
When you look at a latex mattress, you will be exposed to an entirely new terminology compared to other types of mattresses. Key decisions will be natural vs synthetic/blend, Dunlop vs Talalay processing, unique warranty considerations, and density/ILD.
Natural vs Synthetic/Blend
The latex in a mattress can be all natural latex, synthetic latex, or a blend of natural and synthetic. Natural latex (from rubber trees) and synthetic latex (made through chemical process) actually feel quite similar, though in general natural latex mattresses are preferred.
Generally the decision here comes down to price. People prefer the feel and eco-friendliness of natural latex, but even the most reasonably priced all-natural mattresses (think PlushBeds) start at around $2000. If you can afford it, go natural, but otherwise synthetic/blend will offer a pretty similar sleeping experience.
Dunlop vs Talalay
Dunlop and Talalay are two different types of latex processing. In general the two types of processing result in different feels, with Dunlop leading to a firmer feel and Talalay leading to a softer feel.
I don’t think that one type of processing is better than another, although it is true that talalay produces a more consistent latex. I recommend that you think about the feel of the mattress, rather than the processing method, to make your final decision.
Related: see common latex mattress complaints
Latex mattress warranty
You’ll want to look at the warranty carefully (as with any mattress), but the thing to be concerned about with latex is compression/body impressions. This is the most likely issue that will come up with a latex mattress, so just be aware of the terms and how you expect your mattress to behave over time.
With latex you will commonly hear two measures of the foam, density and ILD.
The density will be communicated in lbs, and is a measure of weight per square foot. To generalize, the higher the density the higher the durability of the foam.
The ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) is a measure of firmness, ranging generally from 14-38. The higher the number, the firmer the mattress.
Latex mattresses are definitely a great option if you’re looking for some of the benefits of memory foam without some of the drawbacks. As a result, many of the mattresses mentioned on this page do well in my general mattress reviews.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress Review – A Quality Value? - December 18, 2018
- Level Sleep Giveaway – Zoned For Back Pain? - December 5, 2018
- 6 Most Comfortable Mattresses 2019 – Which Is Best For You? - December 3, 2018