Tuft & Needle is a mattress company that has been around quite a while (for an online-only mattress company), and have really been a leader in transparency in terms of how they sell and tweak their mattress based on customer research.
Also they are really the only online company at such a low price point ($600 for a queen), so I was pretty interested starting out. However, as always, it always comes down to the quality of the mattress. I think the company has done a great job at product development and making a quality mattress for this price point.
Overall I think this is a really great mattress for the money, but it’s not for everyone. Read further for my full Tuft and Needle review .
You will love the Tuft & Needle mattress if:
- You want a good mattress on a budget – Tuft & Needle created their own mattress and ships it directly from the factory to your door, cutting out a lot of overhead costs that they pass to the consumer. This model is recently popular, but even amongst the online competitors Tuft & Needle is significantly cheaper.
- You like foam mattresses (with some bounce) – the mattress is made of a proprietary foam, but it feels more similar to latex than memory foam. This means you get the comfort/support tradeoff, but you don’t sink and get stuck like you would a traditional memory foam mattress.
- You like a firm mattress – Tuft and Needle is firm compared to the other online mattress options. It’s not remarkably firm, but definitely noticeable to most sleepers.
- You don’t want frills – Tuft and Needle is a very good sleeping experience, but it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like luxury options do. With Tuft & Needle every dollar goes into the core mattress quality.
- You want to read a lot of reviews – the company has been around much longer than other online mattress companies, so it has a lot of reviews – in fact it’s the #1 rated mattress on Amazon. So if other consumer reviews are an important part of your shopping experience, T&N can deliver.
- You don’t like sleeping hot – unlike a lot of foam mattresses, Tuft & Needle did not sleep hot for me at all.
You may not like Tuft and Needle if:
- You want a true luxury mattress – T&N is a very good mattress, but targeting a lower price point. If you want to pay more to get more, there are other better suited options.
- You prefer spring mattresses – the mattress is very highly rated, however that doesn’t mean it will turn you into a lover of foam mattresses. If you strongly prefer a spring mattress, go with a spring mattress (seems obvious but apparently not to many of my readers).
- You like a soft/plush feel – the mattress is definitely on the firmer side, and has no trace of the plush/soft/pillow top feel that some people prefer.
- You want to try the mattress out before buying – the mattress is sold exclusively online (note: they have a showroom if you are in Phoenix), so you can’t lay on it before purchase. They do offer a 100 day full refund period, however, so there isn’t a financial risk if you end up not liking it.
Tuft & Needle is very transparent about their construction, so I’d visit their site if you really want to deep dive into the materials and how the mattress is manufactured. Important things to note:
- The mattress is made in a factory in the US
- The foam is proprietary, aiming to get a mix of the best qualities of memory foam and latex foam
- The mattress is 10 inches thick (they used to have a 5 inch thick model which was discontinued)
- The cover is made from rayon and polyester, and ends up being nice to the touch and fairly stretchy.
From other reviews I’ve heard that the Tuft & Needle holds up well over time, plus they have a standard mattress warranty in place to cover you in the long term. If you have a nice firm flat surface (foundation, platform bed, or even floor) I think the bed will hold up very well over time.
Firmness and Comfort
The mattress is definitely a bit firmer than average (I’d put it at a 7.5/10 on the firmness scale), so just make sure that suits your preference when ordering (see related article on finding the best firm mattress). I personally like a medium firm mattress, and found the support to be among the best of mattresses I’ve tried. The mattress is comfortable, but doesn’t have a plush marshmallow feel that some people prefer.
The Tuft and Needle has a very small amount of motion transfer, much like a latex mattress. If you’re sleeping with a partner, this mattress is going to be much better for you than a spring mattress, which in general shows a lot of motion transfer.
I think at this price point, there isn’t a better mattress than Tuft and Needle. Rating the Tuft And Needle mattress becomes easier to do once you consider the price point of the mattress compared to other alternatives. If you’re willing to spend more, then there are better options. BUT if you’re at the lower end of the mattress budget spectrum, then knowing what else is out there, I think it’s a no brainer (see all the reviews from our site).
I also really like the company and how they are so transparent, so you should feel good about supporting an honest company (especially compared to the traditional mattress brands). I hope you have enjoyed my Tuft & Needle mattress review.
- Great value
- Reputable and transparent company
- Low price point
- No frills/luxury
- Firmer than average