Brooklyn Bedding is a unique retailer in the bed-in-a-box market because they own their own factory, which is why they are able to make and sell a lot of quality mattresses at a value price.
Their original bed is the Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress, but they have since grown their line to include an all-foam mattress, a luxury mattress and specialty mattresses like the Bloom and the Spartan.
We received the 2020 version of the flagship Signature mattress, which replaces the former model’s base support foam with pocketed coils. The new Signature is also available in three firmnesses: Soft, Medium, and Firm. We reviewed the medium model.
Interested to see how the hybrid Signature would perform, we take a detailed look at its construction, firmness, edge support, price, pros, cons and more in our Brooklyn Bedding mattress review.
Who Might Want the Brooklyn Bedding Signature?
- Buyers looking for a great value. Finding these materials and this quality construction at this price point is difficult. However, because Brooklyn Bedding is factory direct, buyers can get a high quality, well-made mattress for a low price.
- People looking for a long-term investment. The pocketed coils and high-density foam are both very durable components, which should make the Brooklyn Bedding Signature a long lasting mattress. In fact, it’s one of the best value mattresses.
- Combination Sleepers. This mattress feels comfortable in every position, featuring a medium firmness and offering impressive pressure relief. At the same time, the bed offers the proper support for back and stomach sleepers, keeping the hips from sinking in too far.
Who Might Not Want the Brooklyn Bedding Signature?
- People who like a classic memory foam feel. Those who like that slow sinking feeling that comes with classic memory foam won’t be getting that here. While the top layer of Titanflex is soft, it doesn’t compress slowly like other types of memory foam do.
- Those who sleep with a partner. The motion isolation on the Brooklyn Bedding mattress is decent, but it may not be enough for those who are seeking a couples’ mattress. Couples may feel their partner moving around in the night, which can cause a great deal of restlessness. (Although, the bounciness does make it one of the best mattresses for sex.)
- The Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress is 11.5″ tall.
- The cover is luxurious and tufted with 1” of foam and cotton quilted in.
- Under the cover is a 2” layer of proprietary TitanFlex foam. It has a similar feel to latex and is injected with TitaniumGel, which is designed to help with cooling.
- Beneath the top layer of TitanFlex foam is another 2” layer of firmer TitanFlex foam, which helps the sleeper transition to the support layers beneath it.
- The support layer is comprised of 6” of individually pocketed support coils, which are supportive and great for contouring.
- This Brooklyn Bedding mattress is made in the USA.
- The Signature is available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king.
- The Brooklyn Bedding mattress is also available in three firmnesses: soft, medium, and firm.
- The combination of coils and foam supports sleepers while still relieving pressure. Side sleepers should feel little pressure on their shoulders and hips, while the individually pocketed coils contour to the body and support back and stomach sleepers.
- The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is one of our top picks for best innerspring mattress.
- The coils in this mattress add an extra level of durability. Together with the TitanFlex, these components should last longer, making this bed a good long-term investment.
- The TitanFlex promotes cooling and the coils are great for airflow, which means people shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Signature.
- Brooklyn Bedding offers many other models. Read our Brooklyn Bedding Aurora mattress review.
Prices, Weights, And Dimensions
The table below gives the price for each mattress size, as well as the corresponding weights and dimensions.
|Twin||38" x 75" x 11.5"||60 lbs.||$599|
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 11.5"||70 lbs.||$649|
|Full||53" x 75" x 11.5"||90 lbs.||$799|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 11.5"||115 lbs.||$949|
|King||76" x 80" x 11.5"||140 lbs.||$1149|
|Cal King||72" x 84" x 11.5"||140 lbs.||$1149|
Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Firmness and Feel
Overall, we describe the firmness of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress as a 6/10, slightly softer than average.
The top layers of the Brooklyn Bedding Signature are pleasantly soft, so there’s nice pressure relief while side sleeping. On the hips and shoulders, sleepers shouldn’t feel much pressure at all.
While the mattress is pressure relieving, one never has the sensation of being “stuck.” The Signature has some nice bounce to it, so it was easy to move around on the mattress. Being a hybrid, the mattress offers a nice balance of bounce and foam feel.
For back sleepers and stomach sleepers, the coil layers contour and hold the body up, so back and stomach sleepers should feel properly supported, especially on the hips.
Testing the mattress, we experienced a little bit of motion transfer, and the cup of water we used in our tests was definitely affected as we pressed around the bed.
The motion isolation is about average and those who sleep with a partner may feel some motion transfer. If you sleep with a partner, this is just something to seriously consider.
Though the initial layers of foam did collapse near the edge, we didn’t feel like we were going to be thrown off the mattress. Also, lying down near the edge, there wasn’t the feeling of being ejected from the bed, so overall, the edge support was decent.
While the motion isolation doesn’t make this mattress ideal for couples, the edge support does allow sleepers to utilize the full surface area of the mattress.
You can see the edge support in the photo below.
Brooklyn Bedding Mattress for Heavy People
Marten is a staff writer for Mattress Clarity and has a much different body type than the average person, standing at 6’7″ tall and weighing in at about 230 lbs (I am 5’9″ and 160 lbs.). Here are Marten’s thoughts for heavy weight sleepers and the Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress.
Heavier sleepers are likely to have a similar experience to average weight sleepers on this mattress. There’s a nice balance of pressure relief and support, and a little bit of sinking in. Even heavier sleepers shouldn’t feel substantial amounts of pressure on the shoulders, hips, or knees.
For back and stomach sleepers, expect a pleasant feeling of support with the hips sinking in just enough, but not too far.
The firmness overall is about a 7/10, just slightly firmer than average, overall, should provide heavyweight sleepers with a pleasant sleeping experience.
Even for a big person like Marten, the Brooklyn Bedding mattress was comfortable in a variety of sleeping positions, meaning the Signature could be a good choice for sleepers of many sizes.
Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Takeaways
- It’s all about value. Brooklyn Bedding is factory direct, so they are able to place this mattress at a very low price point — it’s a good deal for a quality mattress like the Signature.
- People looking for a long-term investment, the components in the Signature are quite durable, so the mattress should last for a good amount of time.
- There’s a happy medium of foam and springs; a nice foam feel, but with some bounce.
- This bed is a good match for all positions, giving good support while back and stomach sleeping, while offering pressure relief to those sleeping on their side. Combination sleepers should find comfort in numerous positions.
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a bed in a box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to the buyers home. Begin by removing the rolled up Signature mattress from its box, then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on the bed.
Carefully cut the away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Signature will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow the new mattress to breathe and fully expand.
The Signature, like the whole line of Brooklyn Bedding mattresses, is all about value. Owning their own factory allows them to pass the savings on to consumers.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress is a great choice for combination sleepers of many sizes, and varying types of sleepers should feel pressure relief in multiple positions.
However, those who sleep with a partner may be disturbed by motion transfer during the night.
Brooklyn Bedding offers a 120 Night Trial period as well as a 10 year warranty.
How much is the Brooklyn Bedding mattress?
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress, their flagship mattress, costs around $950 without discounts and deals of the day.
Is the Brooklyn Bedding mattress firm?
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress comes in a number of firmness options: soft, medium and firm. We found the medium firmness to be an excellent match for most sleeping positions.
Does Brooklyn Bedding have a sleep trial?
Yes. Brooklyn Bedding offers a 120 night sleep trial on all of their mattresses. They also offer free shipping and returns.
Is Brooklyn Bedding any good?
Brooklyn Bedding has an impressive line of mattresses at value prices because they manufacture their own products. With Brooklyn Bedding mattresses, buyers get higher quality materials for lower prices.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.