If you’re on the hunt for the best adjustable bed bases or frames to go with your new mattress, you’ve come to the right place. There are a seemingly infinite number of brands on the market, but we’ve narrowed down the list to seven recommendations that should cover a wide variety of sleepers.
Best Adjustable Bed Bases & Frames 2024
The best adjustable beds are:
- Saatva Lineal – Best Adjustable Bed for Seniors
- Nectar – Best Affordable Adjustable Bed Base
- Helix Adjustable Base – Best Adjustable Base for Split King
- Nolah Smart Adjustable Base – Best Luxury Adjustable Bed
- WinkBase 2.0 – Best Adjustable Base for Heavy People
- Avocado Eco Adjustable Base – Best Adjustable Base for Back Pain
- Purple Premium Plus – Best Adjustable Bed for Snoring
Video Review: Best Adjustable Bed Bases & Frames of 2024
How We Chose Our Products
As shown in our video review for the beset adjustable bases, our team of sleep specialists tested many frames currently on the market, using proprietary analysis and hands-on testing to find the best of the best for our readers. When building our roundup for the best adjustable bed bases and frames, we paid special attention to support, durability, and quality of materials.
Durability is essential for adjustable beds. After all, they can be expensive, and so we wanted to choose products that should hopefully make for excellent long-term investments. An adjustable bed’s ability to support sleepers was considered as well; seniors or those who have an injury should especially have an adjustable base they feel secure on. Lastly, but certainly not least, we paid attention to the overall construction and quality of materials. These are naturally an indicator of an adjustable frame’s quality and lifespan.
For more, we encourage you to check out our Buyer’s Guide at the bottom of the page. There we take a deeper dive into all of these attributes so you can make the most informed purchase possible.
Best for Seniors – Saatva Lineal
Saatva Adjustable Base Plus
The Saatva Lineal is a high-quality adjustable base with some great advanced features.Read Full Review
Our Expert’s Take
Seniors who want the best adjustable bed for them should consider the Saatva Lineal; it’s a high-end base with excellent adjustability, and it pairs well with Saatva mattresses. A good adjustable bed like the Lineal can help relieve pressure on your trouble areas and keep your back and legs properly elevated. The back and head section rises from flat to almost 90 degrees, and the leg section brings the thighs to an almost 45-degree angle. While the Saatva Lineal would be easy to set up, it actually comes with white glove delivery. That means professionals will come and set it up for you.
What We Love About the Saatva Lineal Base
- Saatva includes white glove delivery for this base. This means professionals will hand-deliver and set up the base for you.
- There’s an advanced massage feature and an anti-snore function that raises the head of the bed.
- The Saatva Lineal has a Zero Gravity function that inclines the head and feet to relieve pressure on the lower back. It should have you feeling almost weightless!
What To Keep In Mind About the Saatva Lineal Base
- While this base is covered by an extensive 25-year warranty, the base is not eligible for returns or exchanges. According to Saatva, each base is configured to each order, and is considered a lifestyle purchase.
- With that in mind, this base is also on the pricier side for those on a budget. Even when discounted, this base is over $1,000.
Read our full Saatva Lineal Adjustable Base Review.
Best Affordable Base – Nectar
Nectar Adjustable Base
The Nectar Adjustable Base is a great value and boasts some excellent extra features.
Mattress Clarity Score
4.70 / 5Read Full Review
Our Expert’s Take
The Nectar Adjustable Base has a simple but effective design that will appeal to shoppers who don’t need a ton of bells and whistles. Because of this simple design, the Nectar is priced much lower than many of its competitors. You won’t find fancy massage function bluetooth speakers or color-changing LED lights in this base, but if all you’re after is a reliable base that adjusts to your preferences, this might be the product for you. And, don’t worry, despite its low price the Nectar does include a massage function.
What We Love About the Nectar Adjustable Base
- There’s a Zero Gravity function to give you that feeling of weightlessness.
- The Nectar has built-in USB ports, making it easy to charge your devices in bed.
- Nectar includes this base in seasonal discounts, making it significantly more affordable than full price. You also have the option to finance the purchase.
- This base is quite easy to assemble, and doesn’t require the use of any tools.
What to Keep In Mind About the Nectar Adjustable Base
- The Nectar Adjustable Base only has a trial period of 50 days. This is only a little over a month, and for some it may not be long enough to make return or exchange decisions.
Read our full Nectar Adjustable Base review.
Best for Split King – Helix
Helix Adjustable Base
If you want a sleek adjustable frame that offers zero gravity presets, the Helix Adjustable base is right up your alley. You can also adjust its legs to make it low profile or high profile.
Our Expert’s Take
As a company, Helix is all about options. There are six mattresses in the core collection, and each one is available in a Luxe or Elite model. Each bed ranges in firmness and feel, so there’s something that can work for just about anyone’s body type and sleeping position.
So what if you share a bed with a partner who has a different mattress preference? The Helix adjustable base could be a good solution. Simply get two twin XL bases and place them side by side. That way, each person can choose the Helix mattress that best suits their needs.
The Helix adjustable base is sold at a value price, and it comes with a relaxing massage setting. It’s a great balance of affordability and luxury.
What We Love About the Helix Adjustable Base
- If you place two twin XL bases next to each other, you can create a split king base. This is helpful for couples with different preferences.
- It’s sold at a value price, and it’s backed by a 10-year limited warranty.
- The base comes with a massage feature, and you can easily adjust its height.
What to Keep In Mind About the Helix Adjustable Base
- During our testing, we noticed the wall hugging wasn’t the greatest in comparison to some others on the list. Wall hugging refers to if the base will move your bed closer to the wall as it moves upwards.
Read our full Helix adjustable base review to learn more.
Best Luxury – Nolah
Nolah Smart Adjustable Base
The Nolah Smart Adjustable Base is a luxury model with a number of outstanding features.
Mattress Clarity Score
4.90 / 5
Our Expert’s Take
Nolah offers a smart adjustable base that’s truly out of this world. If you’re someone looking for a fantastic luxury option, we recommend the Nolah Smart Adjustable Base. It allows you to adjust both your head and feet, all at the push of a button. You can even use your voice to control it. There are a number of other nifty features: massage settings, USB charging ports, an anti-snoring setting, and more.
What We Love About the Nolah Smart Adjustable Base
- Nolah offers a 10-year warranty, so you have lots of time to decide if this base works well for you.
- There’s a zero-gravity setting that assists with pain relief and spinal alignment. It also has many other preprogrammed settings and high-tech features.
- You should be able to set up this base in 15 minutes.
What to Keep In Mind About the Nolah Smart Adjustable Base
- While this base has a 10-year warranty and should last a while, Nolah does not accept returns or exchanges on this base.
Read our full Nolah Adjustable Base review.
Best for Heavyweight People – WinkBase 2.0
Adjustable Winkbase 2.0™
The WinkBase 2.0 is a sturdy, sleek adjustable base that provides great support and convenient features.
Our Expert’s Take
Much like the WinkBed Plus mattress, we recommend the WinkBase 2.0 to heavyweight sleepers, or even those simply looking for great support. The total weight capacity for the heavy-duty base is 700 lbs, so you can rest easy knowing that it will support you and even a partner, if you have one. The WinkBase has plenty of different alignment settings, from zero gravity to lounge, to anti-snore, and each one is accessible with a simple click of the included wireless remote.
Note, while we haven’t published our full review of the WinkBase 2.0, our expert knowledge can help inform us on how this base will perform. WinkBed, as a company, makes mattresses that are often good choices for heavyweight sleepers.
What We Love About the WinkBase 2.0
- Costs just under $1,000 for a Queen-size base.
- The WinkBase is very simple to assemble.
- It arrives in a convenient, small, easy-to-move package.
What to Keep In Mind About the WinkBase 2.0
- Some ofthe bases on this list have features like bluetooth connectivity and USB compatibility. While not a concern for every shopper, if this is something you want out of your base, this base doesn’t have any of those features.
Our full review of the WinkBase 2.0 is coming soon.
Best for Back Pain – Avocado
Avocado Eco Adjustable Base
The Avocado Eco Adjustable Base is an affordable option with a sleek design and some great extra features.
Mattress Clarity Score
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
Our Expert’s Take
To further help out with your back pain, we recommend pairing a compatible Avocado mattress with an Avocado Eco Adjustable Base. With this much customizability, you can program the elevation of your bed so it best supports your spinal alignment. It has an excellent Zero Gravity function that should create an almost weightless feeling, relieving pressure on the lower back. For maximum comfort, the adjustable bed includes six massage settings. So, you can zero in on relieving particular pain points.
What We Love About the Avocado Eco Adjustable Base
- Its organic cotton canvas is Global Organic Textile Standard certified. This is the gold standard for organic materials.
- You can use the remote included with the purchase, or you can control the adjustable bed from Avocado’s app.
- Two different height options are offered for this adjustable base
What to Keep In Mind With the Avocado Eco Adjustable Base
- Full price for a Queen-size Avocado Eco Adjustable Base is a little over $1,300. This could be pricey for some, though there is financing available.
Read our full Avocado Eco Adjustable Base review.
Best for Snoring – Purple Premium Plus
Purple Premium Plus Smart Base
The Purple Premium Plus is a higher-end adjustable base with comfort features not found with its competitors.
Our Expert’s Take
Many adjustable bases feature an anti-snore function that’s designed to curb snoring. And out of the many adjustable bases we’ve reviewed, the Purple Premium Plus handles snoring the best. Its anti-snore function inclines the head just the right amount, easing pressure on the airway. It’s also one of the most attractive adjustable bases we’ve seen.
What We Love About the Purple Premium Plus Base
- This base has some heft to it and should be very long lasting.
- This base even has a section in the middle of it that you can use to help provide lumbar support for mattresses that might be sagging or lacking in the middle.
- If you’re looking for a base to pair with your Purple, Purple Hybrid Premier, or other mattresses, the Purple Premier Plus is a great choice.
What to Keep In Mind About the Purple Premium Plus Base
- This base has a lot of features and could be out of some budgets.
- While the heft can make it durable, this base is very heavy. I do not recommend trying to assemble this by yourself.
What Is an Adjustable Bed?
Adjustable bed frames sit underneath a mattress and allow you to customize the position of your sleep surface for ultimate comfort. Typically, the adjustable frame is powered by motors, which can be controlled via a wired or wireless remote. Adjustable beds come with a wide range of features, but they all have one thing in common: they allow the sleeper(s) to raise and lower the head and foot areas of the bed.
This can be useful in many situations. For instance, some people find they sleep more comfortably when they raise the head and/or foot of their bed. You can also raise the head of the bed to support a comfortable upright position while reading or watching TV, then lower it again for sleeping. That said, note that watching TV in bed isn’t ideal for sleep hygiene.
Many snorers find that slightly elevating their head at night reduces pressure on their airways, which makes it easier to breathe freely and reduces the risk of sleep apnea. It can also improve the sleep of a snorer’s partner, since they’re less likely to be disturbed by the noise.
RELATED: Best Adjustable Bed Positions
People with an injury might use an adjustable bed to keep the injured body part elevated, thereby supporting the healing process. Same goes for anyone who deals with swollen legs.
Some people who suffer from acid reflux find that elevating the head of their mattress helps reduce symptoms, which can make it easier to sleep. Be sure to read about the best sleep positions for when you’re sick as well.
Also, people who deal with chronic pain, such as arthritis, might find that using an adjustable bed with a “Zero Gravity” function (which is very common among adjustable bases) could relieve pressure on painful areas, thereby allowing them to sleep more comfortably.
People with mobility issues may find that adjusting the position of the bed makes it easier to climb in and out.
Common Features of Adjustable Beds
Beyond the basic function of raising and lowering the head and foot areas, many adjustable beds also come with extra perks. These might include any or all of the following.
- Zero Gravity function: This elevates a sleeper’s body so they feel a bit like they’re sleeping in Zero G. It can relieve pressure on the body, including areas that are prone to aches and pains (such as the lower back).
- Anti-snore function: With the click of a button, the head of the bed will raise slightly to create an optimal position for breathing. In many cases, this will reduce or eliminate snoring.
- Massage functions: Some adjustable bed frames come with built-in massage functions that let sleepers enjoy a stress-relieving massage from the comfort of their own bed.
- Memory capabilities: Many adjustable bases will allow users to save their favorite positions, so they can easily return to them on a regular basis.
- USB ports: Built-in USB ports allow you to charge a smartphone or other small electronic devices from bed.
- Alarms: Some adjustable bases come with wake-up alarms that help sleepers gently transition from sleeping to awake.
- Lighting: In some cases, an adjustable bed will have track lighting on the underside of the bed. Other frames have a built-in flashlight in the remote control. These features can be useful for navigating the bedroom in the dark.
Pros & Cons of Adjustable Beds
We’ve detailed a lot of the benefits of adjustable beds above, but these frames aren’t without their pitfalls. Here’s a quick review of the pros of an adjustable bed, in addition to some of the cons.
- Customizing the bed’s position to your preferred sleep position(s) could support better spinal alignment, which can reduce back pain, as well as arthritis and other aches and pains.
- Many snorers find that using an adjustable frame to slightly elevate their head can reduce or eliminate snoring.
- Adjustable bases can make it easier to climb in and out of bed, particularly for folks with limited mobility.
- Many adjustable beds come with massage functions and other luxurious features.
- Not all mattresses are compatible with adjustable bed frames, so using this type of frame might require buying a new mattress. Be sure to check your current bed’s compatibility.
- Adjustable beds tend to be much more expensive than regular bed frames and can require time-consuming setup.
- While many adjustable beds are very durable, it’s always possible the motors could stop working. This won’t be a concern with a non-adjustable base.
- Many adjustable bases are made from metal and are very heavy, so it can be difficult to maneuver them around the bedroom on your own.
How to Choose an Adjustable Bed Frame
So, you’ve weighed the pros and cons of adjustable beds and you’re interested in purchasing this type of frame. There are a number of other important considerations at this stage, but don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with some helpful tips.
First thing’s first: If you already have a functional mattress, then you’ll want to make sure it’s compatible with an adjustable bed before you spend money on this type of frame. If you’re not sure, call the mattress’ manufacturer. Likewise, if you’re purchasing a new mattress at the same time as an adjustable frame, make sure the two products are compatible.
For some good options, read our best mattresses for adjustable bases.
Frame Sizing Options
Many adjustable beds only come in select sizes, so it’s critical to make sure the adjustable frame in question can accommodate the size of your mattress. For instance, a lot of adjustable bases only come in Twin XL, Queen, Split King, and Cal King. Do your research before pulling out your credit card.
Some adjustable beds come with headboard brackets that allow you to mount a headboard on the back of the frame, while others don’t (the brackets often come at an extra cost). If having a headboard is important to you, choose a model that will allow you to use the headboard of your choice.
Some adjustable beds come (nearly) fully assembled, while others will require some sweat equity. If you’re short on time or have limited mobility, you may want to look for a model that doesn’t require too much set-up.
Adjustable beds are powered by motors, which means a bit of noise is inevitable. But some bases are noisier than others. If this is an important factor for you, read reviews for any base you’re considering to determine whether it’s on the louder or quieter side.
Adjustable bases generally pair with a wired or wireless remote control. If you prefer wireless to wired, this is important to keep in mind. Also consider how many preset functions you want the remote to have and whether you want memory settings. Some remotes allow you to save your preferred settings, while others won’t offer as much customization.
“Wall-hugging” refers to an adjustable bed’s ability to maintain its position relative to the wall when it’s raised and lowered. As you raise the head of the bed, will your mattress move away from the wall or stay flush with it? This will impact whether your body remains in the same place relative to your nightstand, table lamp, and so on.
Adjustable Bed Price
As a general rule, adjustable bed frames can cost anywhere from approximately $1,000 to more than $3,500. That’s a big range! It’s helpful to establish your budget up front so you can narrow your search accordingly.
The motor-powered nature of adjustable beds means that many of them have a weight limit. You’ll need to tally up the weight of your mattress, your body weight, and the weight of your sleep partner (if applicable) to determine whether an adjustable base can accommodate you. If you’re not certain about the weight of your mattress, contact its manufacturer.
Some adjustable beds come with a trial period, so you can test them out in the comfort of your own home. These trial periods often range from 30 to 100 days, and you can usually return the frame for free if you initiate the return during the trial period. In other cases, the sale of an adjustable bed is final. If you’re worried about committing to an adjustable bed sight unseen, look for a model that includes a trial period.
In many cases, adjustable beds come with 10-year limited warranties. Be sure to read the fine print, since the terms can vary between the bed’s various parts.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Adjustable Bed
So you’ve decided to purchase an adjustable bed — now what? Here are a few tips for optimizing your adjustable bed frame.
First off, get to know your model. Every adjustable bed is a bit different, so start by familiarizing yourself with what you’ve purchased. What functions does it offer? How does its remote control work? What are the purported benefits of the different positions and presets? Does it have any special features, such as underbed lighting or a wake-up alarm? Take time to read the user guide and research reviews about the specific model in question so you know how to optimize all of its features.
Know your needs. The main perk of an adjustable bed is that it’s customizable, so make sure you’re tailoring the bed to your personal needs. Are you a snorer? Make frequent use of the anti-snore function! Do you suffer from swollen legs? Elevate those limbs, baby! Is your back constantly achy? The Zero Gravity function will be your friend.
Be willing to experiment. If you’re used to sleeping on a flat surface every night, then an adjustable bed will be quite the, well, adjustment! Give yourself time to get familiar with your new frame, and don’t expect to enjoy perfect sleep in the first few nights. Be willing to experiment with different positions and functions until you zero in on the features that are ideal for you.
Here’s a summary of our best adjustable bases:
|Best Adjustable Bed for Seniors
|Most Affordable Adjustable Base
|Helix Adjustable Base
|Best Adjustable Base for Split King
|Nolah Adjustable Base
|Best Luxury Adjustable Base
|Best Adjustable Base for Heavy People
|Avocado Eco Adjustable Base
|Best Adjustable Bed for Back Pain
|Purple Premium Plus
|Best Adjustable Bed for Snoring
The Best Adjustable Bed Frames FAQs
Can you use a regular mattress with an adjustable bed?
It depends! Many regular mattresses are compatible with adjustable beds — but not all of them. To determine whether your specific mattress will work with an adjustable bed, contact the manufacturer and ask them directly.
Are adjustable beds worth it?
For many people, adjustable beds are worth it. These bed frames allow the user to customize the position of their sleep surface, which can make for more comfortable and better quality sleep. Adjustable beds also tend to come with special preset functions, such as anti-snore or zero-gravity features. Some may offer massage features and other bells and whistles. Of course, all these perks come at a cost. Whether that cost is worth it is really a matter of personal preference and budget.
What is the best adjustable bed?
There is no singular adjustable bed that’s better than all the others, but there’s probably a best adjustable bed for you. This will depend on your needs, preferred functionality, mattress size, aesthetic preferences, and so on.
How do I choose an adjustable bed?
To choose the best adjustable bed for you, start by considering your needs. Think about how much of an angle you’ll want to incline the head and/or foot section, whether you want massage functions, whether you want a remote control with memory functions, whether you need an anti-snore preset option, and so on. Also consider your budget, mattress size, and any design preferences that you may have.
How much do adjustable beds cost?
Adjustable beds can range in price from approximately $1,000 to more than $3,500. Expect adjustable frames with lots of bells and whistles to cost more, while more basic models generally cost less.
How can I get the zero gravity position on an adjustable bed?
NASA’s calculations suggest the zero gravity position can be achieved if you raise your upper body 30 degrees and your legs 30 degrees. That way, your upper body is aligned with your thighs at an angle of roughly 128 degrees.
How do I keep sheets on an adjustable bed?
Sheets that come with deep pockets or with elastic straps can prevent slipping and sliding on an adjustable bed.
Can I use a headboard on an adjustable bed?
Yes, you can! Many adjustable beds come with brackets intended for the use of a headboard, but in the case that it does not, floating headboards can be a great substitute.