Brooklyn Bedding is a unique retailer of direct-to-consumer mattresses. Unlike many bed-in-a-box companies, they own their own factory. This allows them to sell quality mattresses at a value price.
Is it true comfort at a value price? Read on for my full review.
You Might Want To Pick The Bowery If:
- You Are Looking For An Awesome Value– The Bowery is the most affordable of the Brooklyn Bedding mattress line. For an all foam mattress, the Bowery is very affordable. The Queen is priced under $700 which, for me, is a great deal.
- You Are A Lighter Or Medium Weight Side Sleeper– If you are my size, smaller, or just a bit bigger, the mattress has a nice soft feel. I am 5’9, 160 lbs and I felt nice pressure relief on my shoulders and hips. Larger side sleepers may not have the same experience as they press through to the firmer support layers beneath. For them, it might not be as pressure relieving.
- You Don’t Like Feeling Stuck In Your Mattress– The Energex foam is responsive so you get pressure relief without feeling stuck. The foam has some nice bounce, and it is quite easy to move around on the mattress.
You Might Not Want To Pick The Bowery If:
- You Want An Extra Firm Mattress– The Bowery may be a little too soft and not offer enough support for stomach or back sleepers who need a more firm mattress.
- You Are A Larger Side Sleeper– That upper layer is very soft and, if you are heavier, you may press down to the firmer layers beneath. If this happens, you probably won’t feel the best pressure relief on your shoulders and hips. Our staff writer Marten, who is larger than me, felt like the Bowery was firmer than I did and not quite as pressure relieving on his shoulders and hips.
- You Want That Slow Sinking In Feeling– Energex foam responds very quickly, so you won’t feel that slow compression found with some memory foam mattresses. This is, of course, just personal preference, but it is something to note.
- This mattress is 10” tall.
- The thin cover allows you to interact with the top layer very easily.
- The top layer is 3” of Energex foam. This is like memory foam but with faster recovery. It has a very nice bounce to it.
- Then, there are 2” of transitional comfort foam. This helps transition you from the soft top layer down to the firmer support foam more smoothly.
- Finally, there are 5” of base support foam, designed for durability.
- All Brooklyn Bedding mattresses are made in the USA.
- Bowery offers three options: the Aurora, Signature, and Bowery. The Bowery is the most affordable model.
- The Bowery is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The Energex foam is very soft and is great for pressure relief, especially when sleeping on your side.
- At the same time, the Energex foam has some nice bounce to it and will allow you to move around easily. It is very responsive, so you won’t be feeling “stuck” in the mattress.
- While hybrids and spring mattresses are usually cooler, this all foam construction won’t leave you feeling hot. I found it to be quite cool.
The soft layer of Energex foam adds a nice memory foam feel without letting me sink in too much and feel “stuck.” This foam also recovers very quickly, giving the mattress some nice bounce. For me the mattress has a less than average firmness, a 6/10.
Sleeping on my side, I felt some good pressure relief on my shoulders, hips, and knees. On my back and stomach, however, I felt my hips sinking in. Brooklyn Bedding offers more supportive options and I recommend checking out the Signature or Aurora models if you want something firmer.
Also, larger sleepers may find that the mattress feels firmer as they press through that soft foam and experience the firmer layers beneath.
Being an all foam mattress, I expected the Bowery to have decent motion isolation. Overall, I felt that the Bowery’s motion isolation was about average.
As you can see in the video, as I move around the cup, there is some motion transfer. This is important to note if you sleep with a partner. While you may feel some motion transfer when your partner moves around on the mattress, this could still be a decent option for couples.
While I did feel the edge collapsing as I sat down, I still felt enough support to lean over and tie my shoes. In addition, lying down toward the edge, I didn’t feel like I was going to be ejected from the bed.
I felt the edge support was about average, and the Bowery could possibly be a good choice for couples.
You can see the edge support in the photo below.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type from me. He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lbs (I am 5’9″ and 160 lbs.). Here is what he thought about the mattress.
“On my side, I kind of pressed through that upper, softer layer right down to the firmer layer beneath. So, I felt it was firmer than Joe did, about a 7.5/10.
On my stomach and my back, I could feel my hips sinking in more than they do with other mattresses. If you’re my size and looking for something with a little more support, you may want to look elsewhere.”
Marten’s experience is what I expected from a larger sleeper. He really felt that firm base layer when he pushed through the very soft, upper layer. If you are more Marten’s size, you may wish to consider the Brooklyn Bedding Signature or Aurora.
What Make This Mattress Stand Out
- The Bowery is an amazing value; You can get a Queen for less than $700 for a solid mattress
- The responsive Energex foam gives pressure relief without you getting stuck.
- This can be a great match for side sleepers (roughly 215 lbs. or lower)
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Brooklyn Bedding Bowery is a bed in a box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to you. You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Boweyr mattress from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut the away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Bowery will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
The Brooklyn Bedding Bowery is a good option for side-sleepers similar to my size. You will really feel that pressure relief in that position.
Back, stomach, and heavier sleepers may want to look for something firmer / more supportive. I recommend looking into Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature and Aurora models.
All Brooklyn Bedding mattresses come with a 120-Night Trial Period and 10 Year Hassle-Free Warranty.