Over the last few years, I have tried all of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses and have been very impressed with their quality and value.
So when I received the new Brooklyn Bedding Spartan, I was very excited to try it out. It is designed with athletes in mind and features Nanobionic technology, which is meant to help with muscle recovery, and other cool technology. This review will go over everything people need to know about this mattress, including a full breakdown of the construction, the pros and cons, comfort, support, motion isolation, edge support, breathability, durability, and much more.
Who Might Like The Spartan…
- Side sleepers- This softer mattress offers great pressure relief, so this could be a good choice if people sleep primarily on their side. Sleepers will sink in and feel that pressure melt away very quickly. Even if someone is a heavier person, the thick comfort layer should ensure people don’t bottom out and feel the firmness of the support layers.
- Those who prefer a balanced feel- This mattress is pressure-relieving, but it is also very responsive. As a result, people shouldn’t feel stuck in this mattress because of its nice bounce. People will sink in, but they shouldn’t have trouble moving around or switching positions.
- Athletes– If someone is an athlete, this mattress is made specifically for them, because the cover is designed to help with muscle recovery. If people need a mattress to get them recovered and ready to go again, the Spartan could work for them.
Who Might Not Like The Spartan…
- Those who prefer a medium-firm or firm mattress- This mattress is softer than average, so if people prefer some more firmness or need extra support, this might not be the best mattress for them.
- Back or stomach sleepers- This is not a very supportive mattress, so if someone sleeps primarily on their stomach or back, they might sink too far into the mattress. They might want to look for a firmer mattress if they sleep in these positions most likely.
- People who like to sleep on top of their mattress- The Spartan is softer, and it does allow people to sink in quite a bit. If people prefer to sleep on top of their mattress (rather than feeling like you’re sleeping “in” it), the Spartan probably won’t work for them.
- The mattress is 13.5” tall and features a construction with coils and foam layers.
- The cover is woven with performance fabric and Nanobionic technology, which can potentially bring certain health benefits.
- The first layer is 1.5” of CopperGel Energex Foam, which is a pretty bouncy foam.
- Next, there are 2” of hyper-elastic TitanFlex Foam, which is bouncy and durable.
- This is followed by a 1” transition layer of Swirl Visco-Elastic Memory Foam, which provides additional body contouring.
- Then, there are 8” of individually wrapped coils, which are highly supportive, durable, and breathable.
- Finally, there is a 1” high-density foam base that the steel coils can rest on.
Related: Best mattress for back pain
- The Spartan is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King, basically any size a consumer could want.
- People can choose from three firmness options: Soft, Medium, or Firm.
- The cover contains Nanobiotic technology, which turns your body heat into energy waves which are redirected toward your body. These waves, in turn, purportedly help your body recover more quickly after a workout.
- The Energex and TitanFlex foams make up a thick comfort layer, but this layer is also very responsive. You should feel good pressure relief without getting stuck.
- This should be a cool sleeping mattress, because the coils allow for good airflow, while the cover and top foam layers are designed to dissipate heat. People shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Spartan at all.
- The high-quality foams also make this a durable mattress. This should be a long-lasting mattress and a great investment.
- Brooklyn Bedding offers many mattress models. Make sure to read our Brooklyn Aurora mattress review.
Firmness And Feel
In terms of firmness, I thought the Spartan felt like a 5.5/10, or slightly softer than average. It has a thick, soft comfort layer and then a firm support layer. Together, these give the mattress a softer-than-average firmness.
Here’s how it felt while lying on the mattress:
- When I am on my back, I think this mattress is a bit too soft for me. Medium-firm mattresses are usually best for back sleeping, and the Spartan doesn’t give me quite enough support. My hips sink in too far.
- When I am side sleeping, the mattress feels the best for me. I sink in and feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips. Again, the comfort layer is very thick, so even heavier people shouldn’t have an issue bottoming out the Spartan.
- When I am on my stomach, I do need more support. I bow in at the hips, and I don’t feel properly supported overall. I would suggest taking a look at the Spartan Firm model if you’re a stomach sleeper. See our best mattresses for stomach sleepers for some more supportive options.
The mattress has a balanced feel overall, where it has a good amount of bounce, and the Energex Foam is very responsive. The Spartan is pressure-relieving, but people shouldn’t feel stuck in the mattress. People will sink in quite a bit, but it shouldn’t be difficult to move around or switch positions.
While the mattress is fairly soft, it is not the best when it comes to handling motion transfer. When I pushed into the area surrounding a glass of water, the water was disturbed a good bit. I also asked Marten to move around on the other side of the mattress while I was lying down. I felt his movements on my side of the bed.
Overall, if you sleep with a partner, you might feel them moving around on the other side of the bed. While I still think this could be a decent option for couples, this is worth noting.
While I’m sitting on the edge of the Spartan, it compresses very easily. That soft comfort layer gives way quickly, and I don’t feel very secure sitting near the edge. Also, when I lie down near the edge of this mattress, I do feel like I might roll off or be ejected from the mattress.
People can see the Spartan’s edge support in the photo below.
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about the mattress and how appropriate it is for heavier sleepers:
For me, the mattress felt like a 6/10 in terms of firmness, softer than average. On my back, I’m getting okay support, but my hips sink in too far, so I could use more support.
On my side, I feel great pressure relief. I’m feeling almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips. When I’m on my stomach, I definitely need more firmness and support overall.
If you are a heavier back sleeper, this could work, but if you are larger than I am, you might need something firmer. If you are my size and a side sleeper, this could work for you. If you are a heavier stomach sleeper, this is probably too soft for you.
Marten’s experience confirms that the Spartan could be a good pick for side sleepers of many sizes. The thick comfort layer ensured he didn’t sink in too far and bottom out. This allowed him to get the pressure relief he needed, even as a larger person.
RELATED: Best Mattress For Heavy People
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- This could be a great mattress for athletes, because it includes technology to help people recover quickly.
- It should be a cooler sleeping mattress, because the coils, top foam layers, and cover should ensure that people don’t overheat.
- The Spartan should be a great pick for side sleepers. It has a thick comfort layer, so even if you are larger, you should feel good pressure relief.
- The comfort layer is soft but very responsive, so people should get pressure relief without feeling stuck.
Unboxing This Mattress
The Spartan is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it will come compressed and be shipped straight to you. You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Spartan mattress from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Spartan will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
In the end, I was impressed with the Spartan and think it is a good addition to Brooklyn Bedding’s line of quality mattresses. If someone is an athlete, sleeps on your side, and/or you likes a mattress with a balanced feel, this could be a good choice. If someone is a back or stomach sleeper, they should take a look at the Spartan Firm model.
The Spartan comes with free shipping and returns, a 120-night sleep trial, and a 10-year warranty, and financing is also available. Consumers should take a look through this article multiple times, assess their own needs and preferences, and then make a more informed decision.
[Editor’s Note: The content provided on this site is for general informational purposes only. Any information provided is not a substitute for professional medical advice. We encourage you to consult with the appropriate health expert if you have concerns.]