If people spend much time looking for a mattress, they probably come across a large amount of memory foam and all-foam mattresses. But if that feel isn’t necessarily appropriate for them, they may potentially want to consider a more traditional innerspring mattress like the ones that are usually available in hotels.
Many of us grew up sleeping on traditional innerspring mattresses and love the support, breathability, durability that they normally offer. But with so many options to select from, it’s hard to know that someone is getting the most appropriate mattress for them.
To help people find the right innerspring mattress, I’ve put together a list of my favorite eight innerspring mattresses that include high-quality, supportive mattresses that really stand out among the rest available on the market.
To learn which mattress may be the best option for them, people should carefully read on for my full innerspring mattress buying guide.
Good For Multiple Positions
The Saatva has a great balance of comfort and support. It should be a good match for all three sleeping positions.
The WinkBeds is a very comfortable yet supportive mattress with four firmness options to choose from.
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a comfortable and supportive mattress sold for a value price.
The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress that features numerous high-end components - it is a great match for back sleepers and side sleepers.
The Avocado features all-natural latex and supportive coils. It is a good option for those who want to avoid chemicals in their mattress.
With Helix, the company will customize a mattress to meet your specific sleeping preferences.
New Purple Mattress
New Purple Mattress
The New Purple mattress features a hyper-elastic gel polymer and supportive coils. It is very durable and should be a good, long-term investment.
The DreamCloud is a luxury innerspring mattress that could be a great option for back sleepers, side sleepers, and heavier sleepers.
Top Picks Explained
People should take a look at my top picks for innerspring mattresses and read the full details of each one to make sure they are making the right purchasing decision. There is no right mattress for everyone, but if people read closely, they should be able to find an optimal innerspring mattress that meets their specific needs.
Good For Multiple Positions
The Saatva mattress is a very comfortable and supportive innerspring mattress that features dual layers of coils as well as a plush, Euro-style pillow-top.
The coils offer a good amount of support, while the pillow-top provides some very nice pressure relief. Because of this construction, the Saatva is a great match for all three sleeping positions. People should feel nice support on their back and stomach and good pressure relief when they are on their side.
The coil-on-coil construction also allows for a good amount of airflow. This makes the Saatva a breathable mattress that shouldn’t make you overheat at night.
Finally, the Saatva is a great value because it is very durable and very affordable when you consider the quality materials used in its construction.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- The mix of coils and soft pillow-top make this a good fit for all three sleeping positions.
- It is a durable mattress that is also a very good value.
- The Saatva is very breathable and should be a good match for hot sleepers.
Read the full Saatva mattress review.
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $100 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
The WinkBeds, like the Saatva, features coil-on-coil construction and a soft pillow-top. It too offers a great balance of comfort and support and could be an excellent fit for all three sleeping positions.
What sets the WinkBeds apart is the options available for different types of sleepers. People can choose from four mattresses depending on what firmness they are really looking for. People who sleep on their side and need some extra comfort will find the WinkBeds Soft to be an excellent fit. Larger people who have extra support needs should out the WinkBeds Plus.
In addition, the WinkBeds mattresses are, in my experience, the most comfortable mattresses on this list. That plush pillow-top is comfortable and very pressure-relieving, especially on the Soft model.
If you are looking for options and want to find that perfect balance of comfort and support, the WinkBeds mattresses should be a great choice.
What Makes The WinkBeds Stand Out?
- The WinkBeds mattresses offer a great balance of comfort and support.
- The company offers four mattress models so you can find a mattress to meet your specific needs.
- The two layers of coils make this a very durable mattress. It should be longer-lasting and a good long-term investment.
- The coils promote airflow throughout the mattress. This keeps the mattress from trapping too much heat, so it should work for hotter sleepers.
Read the full WinkBeds mattress review.
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $200 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below and using code MC200 at checkout.
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature contains pocketed coils and proprietary TitanFlex Foam. TitanFlex is similar to latex and gives the top of the mattress a bouncy feel, making it especially responsive and easy to move around.
The TitanFlex is also infused with TitaniumGel, which is meant to keep the mattress from trapping heat and to ensure people sleep cool at night. The pocketed coils also allow for air to flow throughout the mattress, maximizing breathability. Altogether, people shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Signature.
The Signature is a medium-firm mattress with a nice balance of comfort and support. Back sleepers, side sleepers, and combination sleepers should find the support and comfort they need.
This is also the most affordable mattress on this list. Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the company is able to pass the savings directly along to the customer, truly providing an excellent value.
If people want a comfortable, supportive mattress for a value price, they should take a closer look at the Brooklyn Bedding Signature.
What Makes The Signature Stand Out?
- The mattress features durable, high-quality materials. This means the Signature should be a good long-term investment.
- The TitaniumGel and airflow-promoting coils should make this a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The Signature offers a good balance of comfort and support. It should be a good match for back, side, and combination sleepers.
- The mattress has some nice bounce, so you should be able to move around easily.
Read the full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress review.
Brooklyn Bedding has amazing products that are sold at very affordable prices. You can get an additional 20% off Brooklyn Bedding mattresses by clicking below and using code CLARITY20 at checkout.
We have seen some other luxury traditional innerspring mattresses on this list, but what about those who prefer a luxury hybrid mattress? Well, the Leesa Legend should be right up their alley as it contains premium components such as organic cotton and Merino wool and boasts a high-end design.
The Leesa Legend’s comfort layer contains a proprietary comfort foam that is soft yet responsive and a layer of memory foam right below that. Together with two layers of coils, the Leesa Legend provides a balanced mattress feel that should make it very easy to move around.
Back sleepers and side sleepers should find this hybrid mattress to be a particularly good match. Back sleepers will experience a balance of comfort and support and side sleepers should feel excellent pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
What Makes The Leesa Legend Stand Out?
- The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress that features high-end materials.
- The mattress is responsive, making it easy for sleepers to reposition at night.
- The Leesa Legend is a great match for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The mattress is very breathable and allows for a fantastic amount of airflow.
The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress that features high-end components and should be a good match for multiple sleeping positions - click the button for the best deal on the Leesa Legend.
The Avocado is an organic mattress with all-natural Dunlop latex and pocketed coils. It is free of harmful chemicals and should be a great option for those who want a green mattress.
This latex mattress is both supportive and comfortable. People can also opt to add a pillow-top to their mattress if they need even more comfort. It should help relieve pressure, especially when people are sleeping on their side.
In addition, the latex and coils make this a breathable mattress. Latex is naturally cooling, and the mattress’s Dunlop latex layers are ventilated. At the same time, the coils allow for a great amount of airflow. With these features combined, people shouldn’t be sleeping hot for any reason.
Dunlop latex is also a bouncy and durable material. It may cost a bit more up front, but it should last for a good amount of time, making it a great long-term investment.
If people want a mattress that is comfortable, supportive, and free of harmful chemicals, the Avocado should be an ideal option for them.
What Makes The Avocado Stand Out?
- It contains all-natural Dunlop latex. It is organic and doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.
- The latex and coils make this a breathable, cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The Avocado comes with an optional pillow-top, which provides more pressure relief.
- Latex is a very durable material, so this should be a solid long-term investment.
Read the full Avocado mattress review.
Avocado is an innovative, all-natural mattress that a lot of people are going to like. Right now, you can get $150 off an Avocado by clicking the link below.
The Helix mattress is unique in that the company customizes a mattress to meet anyone’s needs. Shoppers complete a survey and, based on their answers, Helix puts together a mattress just for them.
If someone is more of a side sleeper, Helix will send them a softer, more comfortable mattress. If someone is a back or stomach sleeper, Helix will send them something more supportive. They even take their sleeping temperature into account.
In addition, if someone is a larger person, the Helix Nightfall is made specifically for them. It is extra supportive and should be able to handle heavier weights.
If people just aren’t sure what type of mattress they want, Helix should be a great choice. No matter your sleeping preferences, Helix should be able to accommodate them.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- After you take a sleep quiz, Helix customizes a mattress to meet your needs.
- A Helix mattress should be a good match for pretty much any type of sleeper.
- The coils allow for airflow, and the company will also include additional features for hot sleepers.
Read the full Helix mattress review.
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper; click the link below for the best deal on a Helix mattress.
New Purple Mattress
The New Purple mattresses contain individually-wrapped coils along with a proprietary, hyper-elastic gel polymer, and this forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure-relieving at the same time.
If consumers want coils in their mattress, they can choose from three models: Purple 2, Purple 3, and Purple 4. These mattresses contain varying amounts of the gel grid. The Purple 2 has 2″, the Purple 3 has 3″, and the Purple 4 has 4″.
This allows people to choose the right New Purple Mattress to meet your needs:
- The Purple 2 will be the firmest and should be a better fit for stomach sleepers.
- The Purple 3 is right in the middle and could be a good pick for back sleepers.
- The Purple 4 is the softest and should work for side sleepers.
The gel grid is also a very breathable material. There is tons of room for airflow, so the mattress is completely temperature-neutral. If people are worried about sleeping hot, the New Purple mattresses should be a great option.
Finally, the New Purple mattresses are the most durable options on this list. The gel grid shouldn’t sag, so it should last for a especially large amount of time. If people are looking for a long-term investment, the New Purple could be right for them.
What Makes The New Purple Stand Out?
- It adds coils to the already popular Purple mattress.
- The gel grid is pressure-relieving and supportive at the same time.
- You can choose from three models, allowing you to find the right firmness for you.
- The gel grid promotes airflow throughout the mattress, so you shouldn’t overheat.
- The New Purple mattresses are the most durable options on this list.
Read the full New Purple mattress review.
The Purple Hybrid Premier 4" is a perfect choice if you are a side sleeper, are looking for a long-term investment, and are a hot sleeper. Get the best deal on your new Purple mattress, plus get a free pillow when you click the button below.
The DreamCloud is a luxury innerspring mattress with a pillow-top and pocketed coils. The top is tufted and woven with cashmere, so it gives you that luxury hotel experience.
The mattress offers a balance of comfort and support and should be a great match for back and side sleepers. When back sleeping, the pillow-top allows your hips to sink in the right amount while the coils support you. While side sleeping, the pillow-top relieves pressure on the shoulders and hips.
The DreamCloud is also a good match for hot sleepers. The cover is very breathable, and there is even gel-infused memory foam in the top layers. People shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the DreamCloud for any reason.
In addition, the DreamCloud should work for heavier people. The mattress is 15″ tall, and the top comfort layer is very thick. Larger people shouldn’t have issues with bottoming out, but should also feel the proper amount of support.
What Makes The DreamCloud Stand Out?
- It has a luxury feel that gives you that hotel mattress experience.
- It should be a great match for back and side sleepers.
- It is a breathable mattress that should work for hot sleepers.
- The DreamCloud should be a good match for heavier people.
Read the full DreamCloud mattress review.
DreamCloud is a high-quality, luxury mattress that a lot of people are going to like. You can get $200 off the DreamCloud mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best for Back Pain
If someone has back pain, they’re going to want to focus on finding a mattress that offers great support, especially in the lumber area.
All of these options can potentially address the issue, so it might depend most on their sleeping position, as back sleepers have different needs than side sleepers, for example.
Personally, I would lean toward Saatva if I was having lower or mid-back pain issues, because the construction was created with back pain in mind and it has an ideal firmness level for back pain issues.
Best for Stomach Sleepers
If someone is typically a stomach sleeper, they should go with a firmer mattress to get the right feel and ideal support so their hips don’t sink into the mattress significantly.
Of the mattresses featured here, Saatva and Aviya offer firm options, but some might consider some of the firmer Simmons Beautyrest options as well if they want to go with a more established brand.
Best for Side Sleepers
If someone is a side sleeper, they’re going to want a slightly softer mattress to deal well with the pressure points on their hips and shoulders.
They should start by taking a look at WinkBeds, as this mattress has an especially nice feel when lying on one’s side and really great overall pressure relief.
Innerspring mattresses for Heavy Sleepers
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses in detail and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers:
The great thing about innerspring mattresses is that they are usually a good fit for heavier people like myself because they offer extra support and durability.
While all eight of these worked for me in different positions, there are four that really stand out for heavier people from my experience.
First off, we have the DreamCloud, which is a fantastic mattress with a luxury feel. When I am on my back, my hips sink in just the right amount and the mattress supports me overall, and on my side, I also feel excellent pressure relief.
The New Purple, namely the Purple 4, is a great option for heavier side sleepers because of how thick the comfort material is. I press into those 4” of gel material and feel essentially no pressure on my shoulders and hips. Even as a larger person, I feel great while side sleeping on the Purple 4 and get the pressure relief I typically require.
Then there is the WinkBeds Plus, which is made specifically for heavier people. It is very supportive when I am on my back and stomach and has approximately the right firmness level.
The Helix PLUS is also made specifically for heavier people and features high-grade coils and high-density foams, so it is a very supportive mattress overall.
While all eight could be a good match for heavier people, I would look at these four mattresses in particular to get the best match of comfort and support.
If someone is a larger person, an innerspring mattress is always worth considering. Coils can offer the support that heavier weight requires. People should definitely keep their sleeping position in mind as well. If someone is a larger side sleeper, for instance, they will need something with a thicker comfort layer.
Benefits Of An Innerspring Mattress
- More breathable. One of the great things about innerspring mattresses is that they allow for air to flow through the mattress. All-foam mattresses don’t have that space for airflow. If someone is a hot sleeper, an innerspring mattress could be worth considering.
- More supportive. Coils also offer more support than what someone might find in an all-foam mattress. Their design allows them to handle more weight than base foams. If someone is a larger person or simply need some extra support, an innerspring mattress should be a good option.
- More durable. Coils also add a level of durability to the mattress. They shouldn’t sag the way some foams are known to do. They should also offer support for a good amount of time. While someone might spend some more money up front, an innerspring mattress could be a good, long-term investment.
Drawbacks Of An Innerspring Mattress
- More expensive. Coils are a pricier material than many base foams. While they are more durable and more supportive, consumers will probably have to pay more up front.
- Less motion isolation. If someone sleeps with a partner, they want to know whether their movements will disturb them on their side of the bed. Memory foam and other foams are often much better at isolating motion in a mattress, and when coils are added to the equation, it could increase motion transfer. Because of this, innerspring mattresses aren’t always the best choice for couples.
What People Should Look For When Buying An Innerspring Mattress
If someone is looking for an innerspring mattress, there are a few things to consider when looking at quality.
Coil Count And Gauge
If someone is in a store or on a website, they will see a lot of talk about how an innerspring mattress has a certain number of coils, a certain gauge (thickness of the steel wire), etc. Here’s a quick overview of what those terms mean:
- Coil count refers to the number of coils used in the mattress. Depending on the size of the mattress, there can be as few as 200 or as many as 2,000.
- Coil gauge is a measure of how thick the metal wires are in a given mattress, and the lower the number, the thicker the wire.
These types of stats have the potential to be pretty misleading for a variety of reasons.
For example, many people think more coil equals a better quality mattress, but there can be a higher coil count but coils made of lower quality steel. There are many different factors that go into the quality of the innerspring unit, so I would definitely recommend being a little cautious when using this rationale.
An innerspring mattress can be made more or less firm in a number of ways, and a lot of it depends on what is in the top layer. Therefore, a blanket statement like “thicker gauge means firmer mattress” isn’t always true, because it depends on a few other factors as well.
People will also probably hear a lot about the type of coil being used in a mattress’s construction. There are differences between the types:
- Pocketed coils are individually wrapped and tend to be better overall at contouring to the body; they are usually more expensive as well.
- Open coils represent the most affordable and oldest innerspring design. In this system, there are numerous coils held together by a wire frame.
- Offset coils feature an hourglass shape and offer better contouring than open coils.
- Continuous coils consist of one metal wire that runs throughout the mattress to create rows of coils.
The type of coil matters more or less depending on the rest of the components in a mattress, so I would take statements like “it has pocket coils, so it’s better” with a grain of salt. For example, if there is a thick layer of memory foam on top of the mattress, the fact that the innerspring unit has pocket coils doesn’t really matter as much, because the memory foam does the contouring.
Overall, the type of coil does matter, but its importance is dependent on the rest of the mattress.
Not all innerspring mattresses are made equal. There is a wide range of materials that can be used to add comfort to the springs, and that makes the feel of the mattress quite different. For example, an innerspring with a thin layer of latex on top will feel much different from one with a very thick layer of memory foam.
As a result, people need to understand the differences between the different types of comfort layers. People should know the difference between polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam, and decide which feel they like better.
Also, understand that the thickness of the comfort layer matters a lot too. If the mattress has a thick layer of memory foam, then it is more of a hybrid and will feel more like a memory foam mattress, which tends to be quite a different feel from the traditional feel associated with innerspring mattresses.
An innerspring mattress is always a good option if someone wants an added level of support or durability and a traditional mattress feel.
While there are so many quality innerspring mattresses, these eight are the best that I have tried. People should consider their size and sleeping positions, and it should be easy to choose which of these mattresses is best for them.
Featured image: ImYOUR/Shutterstock
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.