If people spend much time looking for a mattress, they probably come across a large amount of memory foam and all-foam mattresses. But if that feel isn’t necessarily appropriate for them, they may potentially want to consider a more traditional innerspring mattress like the ones that are usually available in hotels.
Many of us grew up sleeping on traditional innerspring mattresses and love the support, breathability, durability that they normally offer. But with so many options to select from, it’s hard to know that someone is getting the most appropriate mattress for them.
To help people find the right innerspring mattress, I’ve put together a list of my favorite eight innerspring mattresses that include high-quality, supportive mattresses that really stand out among the rest available on the market.
To learn which mattress may be the best option for them, people should carefully read on for my full innerspring mattress buying guide.
The Best Innerspring Mattresses
- Saatva – Editor’s Pick
- WinkBeds – Best Innerspring Mattress for Back Pain
- Leesa Hybrid – Best Mattress For Side Sleepers
- Helix Midnight – Best Innerspring Mattress For Back Sleepers
- Brooklyn Bedding Signature – Best Value Innerspring Mattress
- DreamCloud – Best Firm Mattress
- Casper Hybrid – Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers
- Layla Hybrid – Best Flippable Innerspring Mattress
- Avocado – Best Organic Mattress
- Purple Hybrid Premier – Best Cooling Innerspring Mattress
People should take a look at my top picks for innerspring mattresses and read the full details of each one to make sure they are making the right purchasing decision. There is no right mattress for everyone, but if people read closely, they should be able to find an optimal innerspring mattress that meets their specific needs.
If you aren’t seeing what you’re looking for and need even more specific recommendations, try taking our mattress quiz!
The Saatva mattress is a very comfortable and supportive innerspring mattress that features dual layers of coils as well as a plush, Euro-style pillow-top.
The coils offer a good amount of support, while the pillow-top provides some very nice pressure relief. Because of this construction, the Saatva is a great match for all three sleeping positions. People should feel nice support on their back and stomach and good pressure relief when they are side sleeping.
The coil-on-coil construction also allows for a good amount of airflow. This makes the Saatva a breathable mattress that shouldn’t make you overheat at night.
Finally, the Saatva is a great value because it is very durable and very affordable when you consider the quality materials used in its construction.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- The mix of coils and soft pillow-top make this a good fit for all three sleeping positions.
- It is a durable mattress that is also a very good value.
- The Saatva is one of the best pillow top mattresses that are available online.
- The mattress offers a balance of comfort and support, making it one of the best mattresses for lower back pain and sciatica.
- The Saatva is very breathable and should be a good match for hot sleepers.
Read the full Saatva mattress review.
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $200 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best Innerspring Mattress for Back Pain
The WinkBeds, like the Saatva, features coil-on-coil construction and a soft pillow-top. It too offers a great balance of comfort and support and could be an excellent fit for all three sleeping positions.
What sets the WinkBeds apart is the options available for different types of sleepers. People can choose from four mattresses depending on what firmness they are really looking for. People who sleep on their side and need some extra comfort will find the WinkBeds Soft to be an excellent fit. Larger people who have extra support needs should out the WinkBeds Plus.
No matter how you sleep, or your body type, the WinkBeds mattresses offer a pressure-relieving comfort that is great for sleepers with back pain.
In addition, the WinkBeds mattresses are, in my experience, the most comfortable mattresses on this list. That plush pillow-top is comfortable and very pressure-relieving, especially on the Soft model.
If you are looking for options and want to find that perfect balance of comfort and support, the WinkBeds mattresses should be a great choice.
What Makes The WinkBeds Stand Out?
- The WinkBeds mattresses offer a great balance of comfort and support.
- The company offers four mattress models so you can find a mattress to meet your specific needs.
- The two layers of coils make this a very durable mattress. It should be longer-lasting and a good long-term investment.
- The coils promote airflow throughout the mattress. This keeps the mattress from trapping too much heat, so it should work for hotter sleepers.
Read the full WinkBeds mattress review.
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $300 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below.
Best Mattress For Side Sleepers
We have seen some other luxury traditional innerspring mattresses on this list, but what about those who prefer a luxury hybrid mattress? Well, the Leesa Hybrid should be right up their alley as it contains premium components such as high-density foams and pocketed coils.
The Leesa Hybrid’s comfort layer contains a proprietary comfort foam that is soft yet responsive and a layer of memory foam right below that. Adding in the bouncy coils, the Leesa Hybrid provides a balanced mattress feel that should make it very easy to move around.
Back sleepers and side sleepers should find this hybrid mattress to be a particularly good match. Back sleepers will experience a balance of comfort and support and side sleepers should feel excellent pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
What Makes The Leesa Hybrid Stand Out?
- The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress that features high-end materials.
- The mattress is responsive, making it easy for sleepers to reposition at night.
- The Leesa Legend is a great match for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The mattress is very breathable and allows for a fantastic amount of airflow.
Read the full Leesa Hybrid mattress review
The Leesa Hybrid features a great balance of comfort and support, making it a great match for all three sleeping positions. Click for up to 20% off and 2 free pillows. Use code MATTRESSCLARITY20.
Best Innerspring Mattress For Back Sleepers
The Helix mattress is unique in that the company customizes a mattress to meet anyone’s needs. Shoppers complete a survey and, based on their answers, Helix puts together a mattress just for them.
If you need the best mattress for back sleeping, we recommend the Helix Midnight mattress. This hybrid mattress has an excellent balance of comfort and support. The top foam layers will let your hips sink the perfect amount while the coils hold up your body.
In addition, if you are a larger person, the Helix Plus is made specifically for you. It is extra supportive and should be able to handle heavier weights.
If people just aren’t sure what type of mattress they want, Helix should be a great choice. No matter your sleeping preferences, Helix should be able to accommodate you.
What Makes The Helix Midnight Stand Out?
- After you take a sleep quiz, Helix customizes a mattress to meet your needs.
- The Helix Midnight is their most popular mattress and is an excellent match for back sleepers.
- The coils allow for airflow, and the company will also include additional features for hot sleepers.
Read the full Helix Midnight mattress review.
The Helix Midnight is a memory foam hybrid mattress that offers a great balance of comfort and support. Click the button for the save up to $200 and get 2 free pillows.
Best Value Innerspring Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature contains pocketed coils and proprietary TitanFlex Foam. TitanFlex is similar to latex and gives the top of the mattress a bouncy feel, making it especially responsive and easy to move around.
The TitanFlex is also infused with TitaniumGel, which is meant to keep the mattress from trapping heat and to ensure people sleep cool at night. The pocketed coils also allow for air to flow throughout the mattress, maximizing breathability. Altogether, people shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Signature.
The Signature is a medium-firm mattress with a nice balance of comfort and support. Back sleepers, side sleepers, and combination sleepers should find the support and comfort they need.
This is also the most affordable mattress on this list. Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, so the company is able to pass the savings directly along to the customer, truly providing an excellent value.
If people want a comfortable, supportive mattress for a value price, they should take a closer look at the Brooklyn Bedding Signature.
What Makes The Signature Stand Out?
- The mattress features durable, high-quality materials. This means the Signature should be a good long-term investment.
- The TitaniumGel and airflow-promoting coils should make this a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The Signature offers a good balance of comfort and support. It should be a good match for back, side, and combination sleepers.
- The mattress has some nice bounce, so you should be able to move around easily.
Read the full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress review.
Brooklyn Bedding has amazing products that are sold at very affordable prices. Click the button and use code MEMORIAL25 to save 25% on your purchase.
Best Firm Innerspring Mattress
The DreamCloud is a hybrid mattress that features a luxury design. It boasts supportive coils, high-density foam, and a cashmere cover. It has the look and feel of a mattress you would find in a nice hotel.
The DreamCloud is also one of the firmest mattresses on this list. Lying down on the mattress, you will not sink in too far. If you prefer that “sleeping on top of the mattress” feel, that is definitely what you get with the DreamCloud.
Being a firmer mattress, the DreamCloud is also a great fit for stomach sleepers. When you lie on your stomach, you should get all the support you need. In addition, the mattress should work for the majority of back sleepers.
The DreamCloud is also a good match for hot sleepers. The cover is very breathable, and there is even gel-infused memory foam in the top layers. People shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the DreamCloud Premier for any reason.
What Makes The DreamCloud Stand Out?
- It has a luxury feel that gives you that hotel mattress experience.
- The DreamCloud is the best firm mattress on this list.
- It should be a great match for stomach sleepers.
- It is a breathable mattress that should work for hot sleepers.
Read the full DreamCloud mattress review.
The DreamCloud is a high-quality hybrid mattress that is sold for a value price - click the button to save $200 on the DreamCloud mattress and get $399 of free accessories.
Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers
The Casper Hybrid is a medium-firm hybrid mattress that features soft, breathable foams topped on a bed of pocketed coils. One of the best features about the Casper Hybrid mattress is its Zoned Support system that offers targeted pressure relief by being firmer near the middle of the bed and softer near the head and foot of the mattress.
People who sleep with pain and are looking for a mattress that can help alleviate those aches and pains will appreciate the soothing comfort of the Casper Hybrid mattress. The bed has a balanced feel that will keep you well supported, while also “hugging” you in all the right places.
The Casper Hybrid mattress is well-suited for many sleeper types, but in particular we think it’s a great fit for combination sleepers who move around during the night because of its responsiveness.
What Makes The Casper Hybrid Stand Out?
- The Zoned Support system provides targeted comfort and support.
- This mattress is designed to sleep cool with a coil system and cooling foams, so hot sleepers should be comfortable on this mattress.
- The Casper Hybrid mattress is very responsive so you won’t get stuck in the bed.
Read the full Casper Hybrid mattress review
The Casper Hybrid has a great balance of comfort and support and should be a good choice for back and side sleepers. Click the button and use code MEMDAY to save 15% on your mattress purchase!
Best Flippable Innerspring Mattress
The Layla Hybrid mattress is unique because it is a flippable innerspring mattress, meaning you can sleep on either side of the mattress! One side is softer and the other is firmer, so you can decide which is best suited to your preferences.
On the soft side, the Layla Hybrid features 2.5” of copper-infused memory foam designed to keep you cool and comfortable. On the firmer side, you’ll find 1” of copper-infused memory foam. In between the layers lies Max Airflow Support Foam and a 6” layer of individually-wrapped coils.
All these materials together make the Layla Hybrid an extremely durable and supportive mattress with two different options for the amount of plush comfort you’re looking for.
What Makes The Layla Hybrid Stand Out?
- The Layla Hybrid is a flippable mattress!
- One side is firm and one side is softer so you can pick which works best for you.
- With copper-infused foams and a coil support system, the Layla Hybrid sleeps extremely cool and should be comfortable for people who tend to sleep hot at night.
Read the full Layla Hybrid mattress review
The Layla Hybrid mattress is a flippable mattress that should be a great match for all three sleeping positions. Click the button to save $200 and get two free pillows.
Best Organic Innerspring Mattress
The Avocado is an organic mattress with all-natural Dunlop latex and pocketed coils. It is free of harmful chemicals and should be a great option for those who want a green mattress.
This latex mattress is both supportive and comfortable. People can also opt to add a pillow-top to their mattress if they need even more comfort. It should help relieve pressure, especially when people are sleeping on their side.
In addition, the latex and coils make this a breathable mattress. Latex is naturally cooling, and the mattress’s Dunlop latex layers are ventilated. At the same time, the coils allow for a great amount of airflow. With these features combined, the Avocado should be one of the best cooling mattresses.
Dunlop latex is also a bouncy and durable material. It may cost a bit more up front, but it should last for a good amount of time, making it a great long-term investment.
If people want a mattress that is comfortable, supportive, and free of harmful chemicals, the Avocado should be an ideal option for them.
What Makes The Avocado Stand Out?
- It contains all-natural Dunlop latex. It is organic and doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.
- The latex and coils make this a breathable, cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The Avocado comes with an optional pillow-top, which provides more pressure relief.
- Latex is a very durable material, so this should be a solid long-term investment.
Read the full Avocado mattress review.
Avocado is an innovative, all-natural mattress that a lot of people are going to like. Right now, you can get $200 off the Avocado latex mattress by using code EARTH.
Best Cooling Innerspring Mattress
Purple Hybrid Premier
The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress contains individually-wrapped coils along with a proprietary, hyper-elastic gel polymer, and this forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure-relieving at the same time.
The gel grid is a very breathable material. There is tons of room for airflow, so the mattress is completely temperature-neutral. If you’re worried about sleeping hot, the Purple Hybrid Premier should be a great option.
Finally, the Purple Hybrid Premier mattress is one of the most durable options on this list. The gel grid shouldn’t sag, so it should last for an especially long amount of time. If you’re looking for a long-term investment, the Purple Hybrid Premier could be right for you.
What Makes The Purple Hybrid Premier Stand Out?
- It adds coils to the already popular Purple mattress.
- The gel grid is pressure-relieving and supportive at the same time, making it a good match for those with hip pain.
- The Purple mattresses are some of the best mattresses for back sleepers.
- The gel grid promotes airflow throughout the mattress, so you shouldn’t overheat.
Read the full Purple Hybrid Premier mattress review.
The Purple Hybrid Premier is a perfect choice if you are a side sleeper, are looking for a long-term investment, and are a hot sleeper. Get free sheets and 2 free pillows with your purchase of a Purple mattress.
Best for Back Pain
All of these options can potentially address the issue, so it might depend most on their sleeping position, as back sleepers have different needs than side sleepers, for example.
Personally, I would lean toward Saatva if I was having lower or mid-back pain issues, because the construction was created with back pain in mind and it has an ideal firmness level for back pain issues.
See the best mattresses for back pain.
Best for Stomach Sleepers
If someone is typically a stomach sleeper, they should go with a firmer mattress to get the right feel and ideal support so their hips don’t sink into the mattress significantly.
Of the mattresses featured here, Saatva and Aviya offer firm options, but some might consider some of the firmer Simmons Beautyrest options as well if they want to go with a more established brand.
See the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
Best for Side Sleepers
If someone is a side sleeper, they’re going to want a slightly softer mattress to deal well with the pressure points on their hips and shoulders.
They should start by taking a look at WinkBeds, as this mattress has an especially nice feel when lying on one’s side and really great overall pressure relief.
See the best mattresses for side sleepers.
Benefits Of An Innerspring Mattress
- More breathable. One of the great things about innerspring mattresses is that they allow for air to flow through the mattress. All-foam mattresses don’t have that space for airflow. If someone is a hot sleeper, an innerspring mattress could be worth considering.
- More supportive. Coils also offer more support than what someone might find in an all-foam mattress. Their design allows them to handle more weight than base foams. If someone is a larger person or simply need some extra support, an innerspring mattress should be a good option.
- More durable. Coils also add a level of durability to the mattress. They shouldn’t sag the way some foams are known to do. They should also offer support for a good amount of time. While someone might spend some more money up front, an innerspring mattress could be a good, long-term investment.
Drawbacks Of An Innerspring Mattress
- More expensive. Coils are a pricier material than many base foams. While they are more durable and more supportive, consumers will probably have to pay more up front.
- Less motion isolation. If someone sleeps with a partner, they want to know whether their movements will disturb them on their side of the bed. Memory foam and other foams are often much better at isolating motion in a mattress, and when coils are added to the equation, it could increase motion transfer. Because of this, innerspring mattresses aren’t always the best mattresses for couples.
What People Should Look For When Buying An Innerspring Mattress
If someone is looking for a coil mattress, there are a few things to consider when looking at quality.
Coil Count And Gauge
If someone is in a store or on a website, they will see a lot of talk about how an innerspring mattress has a certain number of coils, a certain gauge (thickness of the steel wire), etc. Here’s a quick overview of what those terms mean:
- Coil count refers to the number of coils used in the mattress. Depending on the size of the mattress, there can be as few as 200 or as many as 2,000.
- Coil gauge is a measure of how thick the metal wires are in a given mattress, and the lower the number, the thicker the wire.
These types of stats have the potential to be pretty misleading for a variety of reasons.
For example, many people think more coil equals a better quality mattress, but there can be a higher coil count but coils made of lower quality steel. There are many different factors that go into the quality of the innerspring unit, so I would definitely recommend being a little cautious when using this rationale.
An innerspring mattress can be made more or less firm in a number of ways, and a lot of it depends on what is in the top layer. Therefore, a blanket statement like “thicker gauge means firmer mattress” isn’t always true, because it depends on a few other factors as well.
People will also probably hear a lot about the type of coil being used in a mattress’s construction. There are differences between the types:
- Pocketed coils are individually wrapped and tend to be better overall at contouring to the body; they are usually more expensive as well.
- Open coils represent the most affordable and oldest innerspring design. In this system, there are numerous coils held together by a wire frame.
- Offset coils feature an hourglass shape and offer better contouring than open coils.
- Continuous coils consist of one metal wire that runs throughout the mattress to create rows of coils.
The type of coil matters more or less depending on the rest of the components in a mattress, so I would take statements like “it has pocket coils, so it’s better” with a grain of salt. For example, if there is a thick layer of memory foam on top of the mattress, the fact that the innerspring unit has pocket coils doesn’t really matter as much, because the memory foam does the contouring.
Overall, the type of coil does matter, but its importance is dependent on the rest of the mattress.
Not all innerspring mattresses are made equal. There is a wide range of materials that can be used to add comfort to the springs, and that makes the feel of the mattress quite different. For example, an innerspring with a thin layer of latex on top will feel much different from one with a very thick layer of memory foam.
As a result, people need to understand the differences between the different types of comfort layers. People should know the difference between polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam, and decide which feel they like better.
Also, understand that the thickness of the comfort layer matters a lot too. If the mattress has a thick layer of memory foam, then it is more of a hybrid mattress and will feel more like a memory foam mattress, which tends to be quite a different feel from the traditional feel associated with innerspring mattresses.
Here’s a summary of our top picks for the best innerspring mattresses:
|WinkBeds||Best Mattress for Back Pain|
|Leesa Hybrid||Best Mattress For Side Sleepers|
|Helix Midnight||Best Mattress For Back Sleepers|
|Brooklyn Bedding Signature||Best Value Mattress|
|DreamCloud||Best Firm Mattress|
|Casper Hybrid||Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers|
|Layla Hybrid||Best Flippable Innerspring Mattress|
|Avocado||Best Organic Mattress|
|Purple Hybrid Premier||Best Cooling Innerspring Mattress|
An innerspring mattress is always a good option if someone wants an added level of support or durability and a traditional mattress feel.
While there are so many quality innerspring mattresses, these eight are the best that I have tried. People should consider their size and sleeping positions, and it should be easy to choose which of these mattresses is best for them.