The GhostBed mattress at first glance looks very similar to a lot of other bed-in-the-box mattress competitors (and in many ways it is), but the mattress has a few characteristics which make it stand out in my mind.
It’s definitely a great option for some, though I do have a few complaints as well (compare GhostBed to other mattresses HERE
). The mattress is at a price point that is lower than a lot of its competitors. As a result, there is an opportunity to get some extra value from Ghostbed over some other mattresses. I think overall the mattress does a good job of having a nice foam feel without sleeping hot or having the feeling of getting stuck in the mattress. It’s not a perfect match for everyone, but it is a great mattress at a great price.
Watch my GhostBed review video for the overview.
You’ll love the GhostBed mattress if you…
- Are looking for great value – even compared to other popular online mattress companies like Casper, I think GhostBed offers great value. GhostBed is made by Nature’s Sleep, which does huge volume in the mattress world, so I think their scale allows them to sell an equally good bed at an even better price (in addition to the online-only business advantages).
- Sleep in all sleeping positions – the GhostBed offers good support and comfort in any sleeping position, whether you’re on your side, stomach, or back
- Hate sleeping hot – though it’s an all foam mattress, the top layer is latex, which aims to keep it sleeping cool (this held true in my experience)
Get $50 Off the GhostBed mattress (any size)
You may not like the GhostBed mattress if…
- You sleep exclusively on your side or stomach – the GhostBed aims to please all sleeping positions, and does a great jot of doing so. But if you sleep exclusively in one position, then you may want to find a softer/firmer mattress that suits your specific needs.
- You prefer spring mattresses – many people fall in love with a good brand like GhostBed (or others), and end up purchasing a mattress that doesn’t suit your preferences. GhostBed is a good option, but not if you just don’t like foam mattresses. It won’t magically change your preferences.
GhostBed Firmness and Feel
As you can see the GhostBed bounces back fairly quickly
(for a foam mattress) due to the top layer of latex. The extra spring is enough to make sure you avoid that “stuck” feeling
that is common in memory foam mattresses. The firmness is about a 7 out of 10, making it right in the sweet spot for the average sleeper. Currently GhostBed doesn’t offer firmness options, so it won’t be a good fit if you prefer a very soft or very firm feel.
The firmness is at a point where it’s comfortable to sleep in any position. It felt pretty good on my side, pretty good on my stomach, and great on my back. It’s a very good option for people that sleep in multiple positions throughout the night, or for couples with different sleeping positions.
Motion Transfer Test
All foam mattresses often perform well on the motion transfer test, so it was no surprise that GhostBed performed well and is a good mattress for couples.
One of the key items of GhostBed is that it is made by Nature’s Sleep, a mattress company that has been around for a number of years. Thus you have a construction that is very popular these days (latex over memory foam), but not always executed well. In this case the experience showed, in that the mattress felt very well made and the transition between the layers was seamless (often an issue I’ve been experiencing with some of the online mattress companies). The construction consists of:
- Vicose and Polyester cover – though of course you will put a sheet over the cover, I did note that the feel of this cover is much better than most. The cover also zips off for cleaning.
- 1.5 inches of latex – the latex comfort layer is popular because it offers a bit more spring than a memory foam mattress and also keeps the mattress from sleeping hot.
- 2 inches of gel memory foam – the memory foam provides great contouring support, with the gel again insuring that the mattress does not sleep hot
- 7.5 inches of core foam – providing a base layer of support for the mattress.
Showing spinal alignment when laying on my side
Other things to note
- GhostBed is manufactured in the USA
- There is an optional foundation available for purchase that matches the bed well (I did not review the foundation)
- There is a 101 night trial period, where you can return the mattress for a full refund
Overall I had a great experience during the GhostBed mattress review. They have a quality product for a mid-range price shopper, and they’ve really separated themselves on price/value, even compared to the other online-only mattress companies (see other mattress reviews I’ve done). If you have average mattress preferences (not extra firm or soft), and you are looking for a good hybrid mattress, I think that GhostBed could be a very good option.
Click to get $50 Off the GhostBed mattress
The Ghostbed is similar construction and style to the most popular bed-in-a-box options (think Casper), however it comes with higher quality materials and at a lower priced. I actually think if it suits your preferences, it may be one of the best values on the market.
Overall Sleep Experience4