There are numerous reasons that someone might be shopping for an air mattress – they could need something for a long camping trip or something for the in-laws when they come to visit. Whatever the reason, there are hundreds of makes and models to choose from, and many air mattress shoppers could find themselves at a loss.
To narrow down the wide array of air mattresses, we selected our top four air mattress picks. We have options for camping and some more deluxe options for indoor use – there is something here for everyone, so read on to find the best air mattress!
Our Top Picks: The Best Air Mattresses
- Best Luxury Air Mattress – AeroBed
- Best Value Air Mattress – Intex
- Best Camping Air Mattress – SoundAsleep
- Most Versatile Air Mattress – Coleman
There is no one perfect air mattress for everyone because we all have our own preferences and specific needs. That being said, one of these four air mattresses should be an excellent fit for any situation.
Best Luxury Air Mattress
AeroBed With Built-In Pump And Headboard
AeroBed is one of the most well-known air mattress brands on the market and for good reason; they make high-quality air mattresses that come in a variety of styles and designs. One only needs to search for air mattresses online for a few seconds before coming across one of AeroBed’s impressive products.
One of our favorite AeroBed models is the AeroBed Air Mattress with Built-In Pump and Headboard and, as the name suggests, there is quite a bit going on with this air mattress. It features a built-in pump with three firmness settings which allows sleepers to find the exact right firmness for them. A secondary pump also continues to inflate the mattress as air inevitably escapes during the night; this maintains the correct firmness and inflation as we sleep.
The headboard is a nice touch as it keeps pillows and our heads from edging off the end of the mattress – this is especially helpful if the air mattress cannot be placed directly against the wall. When we combine this with the AeroBed 20″ height, it looks and feels like a substantial mattress and not just a simple air mattress.
Anyone who is looking for something to impress house guests or needs something comfortable for themselves should definitely keep the AeroBed Air Mattress with Built-In Pump and Headboard in mind.
What Makes The AeroBed Stand Out?
- The AeroBed features a built-in pump that offers three different firmness settings, giving sleepers numerous comfort and support options.
- The AeroBed’s secondary pump ensures the mattress stays properly inflated throughout the night without going flat.
- The mattress is quite tall and features a headboard, giving it a luxury mattress look and feel.
Read the full AeroBed air mattress review
The AeroBed features three firmness settings and a very luxurious design - click the button for the best deal on AeroBed.
Best Value Air Mattress
Intex Dura-Beam Hi-Rise Premium Comfort
Like the AeroBed, the Intex Dura-Beam Hi-Rise Premium Comfort Airbed with Internal Pump is a substantial air mattress with a number of interesting features. It is 22″ tall, even taller than the AeroBed air mattress, and has a built-in pump with one firmness setting.
This Intex stands out because of its inherent durability, and this is always something to consider when shopping for an air mattress. The air mattress features a proprietary Fiber-Tech construction in which thin strands of polyester are woven through the PVC and is meant to prevent air leakage and popping – this should ensure that the Intex air mattress lasts for a number of years.
At the same time, the Intex is a surprisingly affordable mattress; it sells for less than $80, while the AeroBed with Built-In Pump and Headboard could cost over $300. Those who want a durable air mattress for indoor use but don’t want to break the bank should consider the Intex Dura-Beam Hi-Rise Premium Comfort Airbed with Internal Pump.
What Makes The Intex Stand Out?
- This Intex model features a built-in pump that inflates the air mattress in only a few minutes.
- A Fiber-Tech construction provides the air mattress with extra durability and should prevent leakage and popping for a good amount of time.
- The Intex Dura-Beam Hi-Rise Premium Comfort is a comfortable and quality product that is sold for a very affordable price.
Read the full Intex air mattress review
The Intex Dura Beam is a thicker more substantial air mattress that should be a good fit for house guests.
Best Camping Air Mattress
SoundAsleep Camping Series
One of the main reasons people invest in an air mattress is to have something to sleep on while camping out under the stars because there really is little worse than sleeping on a rock or root. While there are numerous camping options out there, we found the SoundAsleep Camping Series air mattress to be the absolute best.
The SoundAsleep Camping air mattress is 9″ tall and is constructed with a multi-layered PVC that is designed to prevent puncturing and air leakage. This can happen easily when camping because of the rocks and sharp sticks found at campsites, but this shouldn’t be a particular issue with the SoundAsleep.
In addition, the SoundAsleep is a particularly comfortable mattress, and we found it to be an exceptional fit for all three sleeping positions. Whether we lay on our back, side, or stomach, we had no trouble falling right to sleep, and the soft flocking found on top of the mattress made it easy to move around without making excessive noise.
Lastly, while the SoundAsleep does not feature a built-in pump, it does come with a rechargeable pump that fits snugly in the SoundAsleep’s air valve and inflates the air mattress in under one minute.
What Makes The SoundAsleep Stand Out?
- The SoundAsleep Camping air mattress is a durable option that shouldn’t puncture when being used outside or inside.
- The included air pump inflates the SoundAsleep Camping air mattress extremely quickly and can be recharged quite easily.
- The SoundAsleep should work for campers who sleep in any position at night.
Read the full SoundAsleep mattress review
The SoundAsleep is a fantastic air mattress for camping and should last for a good amount of time. Click the button for the best deal on the SoundAsleep air mattress.
Most Versatile Air Mattress
Coleman Double High Support Rest
When shopping for an air mattress, one usually has to decide if they need something to use inside or outside, but what about those who want one air mattress that can work both in a guest room and in a tent? Well, that is what the Coleman Double High Support Rest air mattress is all about – versatility.
This Coleman air mattress is constructed from thick PVC and shouldn’t leak or pop, even when being used outside. In addition, the Coleman features a Support Lock system that provides even support across the entire air mattress so, whether one uses it inside or outside, the air mattress should feel comfortable and supportive.
The air mattress also boasts a very effective air valve that should keep air from leaking out during inflation. It is called a Double Lock Valve and it takes two steps to open it and inflate or deflate the mattress.
Finally, it is also a very good value and costs around $80 for a Queen-size, a fantastic deal for an air mattress from such a reputable company.
What Makes The Coleman Stand Out?
- The Coleman Double High Support Rest is a thicker air mattress that is quite versatile and can be used both inside and outside.
- This Colemanair mattress is both durable and affordable, making it a good, long-lasting value.
- Its Double Lock Valve should prevent significant amounts of air from leaking out of the Coleman.
Read the full Coleman air mattress review
The Coleman air mattress is a versatile option for those who need something for indoor and outdoor use. Click the button for the best deal on the Coleman.
What To Consider When Buying An Air Mattress
Buying an air mattress isn’t like buying a standard mattress for a bedroom, and there are other specific things to look for to ensure that a certain air mattress will be a wise investment.
- What will the air mattress be used for? Air mattresses can be used for a number of situations – they can be a fantastic fit for guests who are staying for a long weekend or they could be a good option for kids on an overnight. Air mattresses can also work in the back of a pickup truck or on the floor of a large tent. The specific situation will dictate what type of air mattress one should be shopping for.
- Find a durable air mattress that won’t pop. Unlike standard mattresses, air mattresses run the risk of popping or leaking air and, when this happens, people can find themselves lying on a deflated air mattress. Because of this, people should look for an air mattress that features thicker PVC or other construction features that will help to prevent this annoying issue.
- Think about how to inflate the air mattress. In the olden days, people had to inflate air mattresses by themselves, but those days are behind us, thanks to air pumps. Shoppers who want to do as little as possible should find something with a built-in air pump, and those who don’t mind a little extra work should just make sure that the air mattress works well with an air pump.
- Think about budget. Make sure to keep the above points in mind when deciding how much to pay for an air mattress. If the air mattress is on the pricier side, make sure that is durable and features attractive extras. All in all, there is no reason to break the bank when shopping for an air mattress.
Air Mattress FAQs
What is the best air mattress for everyday use?
First off, we do not recommend using an air mattress for an extended period of time because this can lead to pain in certain areas. That being said, in our experience, the best air mattress for everyday use is the AeroBed Air Mattress with Built-In Pump and Headboard – it is a substantial, supportive air mattress which could mimic the experience one would get with a standard mattress.
What is the most durable air mattress?
One of the most durable air mattresses that we have come across is the Intex Dura-Beam Hi-Rise Premium Comfort Airbed with Internal Pump – it features a Fiber-Tech construction, and the PVC contains thousands of polyester strands that should help prevent puncturing.
Is it bad to sleep on an air mattress every night?
It really is not the best idea to sleep on an air mattress for an extended period of time because this can lead to pain and strain in the joints and back. To get the best sleep and support possible, people should be lying on a standard mattress with a proper bed frame.
What is the highest height for an air mattress?
This really depends on the design and intended use of the air mattress. For instance, a single layer camping air mattress will usually be no thicker than 11″ or 12″ and, if it is a more advanced, multi-layered air mattress, it could be as high as 22″.