Do you love the soft feeling of memory foam? When you sleep, do you like to slow sink into your mattress? If this is the case, you might be a fan of the Layla mattress.
The Layla is unique in that it is flippable and has two firmness options in one mattress. In addition, while it is a memory foam mattress, it is designed to sleep cool.
I have reviewed the Layla mattress and it is usually at the top of my list for comfortable mattresses. I couldn’t wait to dive back in and try the Layla mattress again.
Is this the cooler-sleeping memory foam mattress you have been looking for? Read on for my full review.
You Might Want To Pick The Layla If:
- You are looking for a comfortable mattress. Out of all the mattresses I have reviewed, the Layla is one of the most comfortable. If you are simply looking for a generally comfortable mattress, the Layla should work for you.
- You are a side sleeper. If you sleep primarily in this position, the soft side of this mattress should be a great match for you. The 3” memory foam layer is very soft and features fantastic pressure relief. I personally felt almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips.
- You prefer a classic memory foam feel. If you like to slowly sink into your mattress, the Layla should be a great choice. It features soft, slow-responding memory foam, so you really sink into your mattress. If you like sleeping in your mattress, the Layla will work for you.
- You are a hot sleeper. While many memory foam mattresses can sleep hot, this is not a problem on the Layla. The cover, comfort layer, and transition layer are all designed to dissipate heat and provide a cooler night of sleep. If you overheat at night but still want to a memory foam mattress, the Layla should be good option for you.
Get $110 Off Layla With Coupon Code “MCLARITY”
You Might Not Want to Pick the Layla If:
- You prefer a medium-firm mattress. If you like a mattress that is right down the middle in terms of firmness, the Layla might not work for you. The soft side is quite soft and the firm side is quite firm. If you want a medium firmness, you probably won’t find it with the Layla.
- You are a heavier back or stomach sleeper. If you are a larger person and sleep on your back or stomach, you might want to look for a firmer, more supportive mattress. While there is the firm side, it still might not be the best match for heavier weights.
- You like to sleep on top of your mattress. If you don’t like to sink into your mattress, this memory foam mattress might not be the best for you. It has that classic memory foam feel so if you prefer to sleep on top of your mattress, consider an innerspring, hybrid, or balanced memory foam mattress.
- The mattress is 10″ tall.
- The cover is soft and infused with Thermogel, which is designed to help dissipate heat.
- From the soft side down, the first layer is 3” of copper-infused memory foam.
- Next, there are 2” of convoluted support foam.
- Then, there is a 4.5” layer of base support foam.
- Finally, on the firm side, there is 1” of copper-infused memory foam.
- The foams used in the mattress are CertiPUR-US certified, so they are eco-friendly.
- The Layla is made in the USA
RELATED: Most Comfortable Mattresses
- The mattress is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The Layla is flippable. This means you get two firmnesses in one mattress. On the first side, there is 3” of copper-infused memory foam and, on the other side, there is 1” of copper-infused memory foam. This means the first side will be much softer than the other side.
- Also, the thick layer of copper-infused memory foam is very soft and slow to respond. This gives it that slow, sinking feeling you get with memory foam.
- The Thermogel cover, copper-infused memory foam, and convoluted transition layer all work together to ensure you sleep cool. The cover and memory foam are designed to dissipate heat, and the transition layer will allow for some great airflow.
Get $110 Off Layla With Coupon Code “MCLARITY”
How Does This Mattress Compare To The Casper Mattress?
Layla is one of the more popular bed in a box mattresses, so it is worth considering how it compares to another popular mattress like the Casper.
The Layla is different in that it is a flippable mattress while the Casper is not. You can easily flip the Layla to try out a different firmness, but this option is not available on the Casper. The Casper, on the other hand, features a zoned construction, and the Layla does not. This means that Casper is firmer under the heavier parts of your body, and softer in other areas.
In terms of firmness, the Layla feels like a 5.5/10 on the soft side and an 8/10 on the firm side. While the Casper may feel different depending on what position you lie in, it feels like 6/10 in terms of firmness overall.
One of the main differences between the two mattresses is in regard to feel. The Layla has a classic memory foam feel, and the Casper has a balanced foam feel. Those who like to sink into their mattress will like the Layla, and those that prefer to sleep more on top of their mattress should prefer the Casper.
Firmness And Feel
The Layla mattress has two sides, so it also has two firmnesses. The soft side has 3” of memory foam on top, so it feels like a 5.5/10. The firm side only has 1” of memory foam on top, and it feels like an 8/10.
On the soft side of the mattress, I feel decent support when I am back sleeping. My hips sink in just the right amount, and I feel well supported. When I move to my side, I feel amazing pressure relief. There is almost no pressure on my shoulders and my hips. However, when I move to my stomach, the soft side of the mattress is much too soft.
Moving to the firm side, I also feel supported when I am on my back. When I lie on my side, this side of the mattress is definitely too firm, and I feel pressure on my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, the mattress supports me well, and I feel like I am in proper alignment. Those who switch between stomach and back should prefer this side.
However, heavier sleepers might have a different experience. While they should feel good pressure relief on the soft side of the Layla, much heavier back and stomach sleepers might need a firmer, more supportive mattress overall.
The Layla has that classic memory foam feel. Especially on the soft side, you slowly sink into the mattress and really feel enveloped by it. There is almost no bounce, and the memory foam is very slow to respond. Because of this, you might have trouble moving around on the mattress.
When we consider motion transfer, few materials handle it as well as memory foam. Since the soft side has a thick layer of memory foam, I expected to the Layla to perform quite well.
I put a glass of water on the mattress and pushed into the surrounding area. The water was barely disturbed. Also, when I asked Marten to move around on the other side of the mattress, I barely felt his movements at all.
If you sleep with a partner, this mattress could be a great option.
Memory foam mattresses are great with motion transfer, but they sometimes don’t feature the best edge support.
Sitting down on the edge of the Layla mattress, it compresses quite a bit. However, I don’t feel like I am going to fall off, and I feel secure enough to lean over and tie my shoes. Lying down near the edge of the mattress, I do get the feeling that I might roll off the bed.
Overall, the edge support is just about average.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type from me. He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lbs (I am 5’9″ and 160 lbs.). Here is what he thought about this mattress:
This is a flippable mattress, so we are going to have two sides and two firmnesses. On the soft side, I thought it was a 6/10 and, on the firm side, it was an 8/10.
Back sleeping on the soft side, it is a bit too soft for me. My hips sink in a bit too far, and I am not feeling the best support. On my side, I am feeling great pressure relief. I feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips. When I am on my stomach, I feel my hips bow in too far, and I am getting out of alignment.
Back sleeping on the firm side, I feel much better. My hips sink in just the right amount, and I feel well supported. On my side, I am feeling some pressure on my shoulders and my hips. On my stomach, I am feeling better support than I felt on the soft side.
If you are a heavier back sleeper, I would lean toward the firm side. If you are a heavier side sleeper, I would lean toward the soft side. If you are a heavier stomach sleeper, try the firm side.
Marten’s experience confirms what I thought regarding side sleeping on this mattress. Even for someone his size, the soft side gave him nice pressure relief. However, while Marten found enough support on the firm side, I still believe those are larger than Marten might need a more supportive mattress overall.
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Layla is a bed in a box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to you. You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Layla mattress from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut the away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Layla will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- The Layla is one of the more comfortable bed-in-a-box mattresses.
- Fans of memory foam will like the Layla mattress. It has a soft memory foam feel that really lets you sink in.
- Side sleepers should feel great pressure relief on the Layla. The soft side has a thick layer of memory foam on top that should melt the pressure away. Those who switch from side to back should also get the support they need.
- The Layla is flippable, so you get two firmnesses options. While the soft side should fit side and back sleepers, stomach sleepers could also find support on the firm side.
Get $110 Off Layla With Coupon Code “MCLARITY”
All in all, the Layla mattress is one of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever tried. Side sleepers and hot sleepers who love a memory foam feel should feel right at home on the Layla. However, heavier back and stomach sleepers and those who prefer to sleep on top of their mattress might want to look elsewhere.
The Layla comes with a 120-night sleep trial, Lifetime Warranty, as well as Free Shipping and Returns. Accessories and financing are also available.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress Review – A Quality Value? - December 18, 2018
- Level Sleep Giveaway – Zoned For Back Pain? - December 5, 2018
- 6 Most Comfortable Mattresses 2019 – Which Is Best For You? - December 3, 2018