There are so many fantastic bed-in-a-box mattresses out there, but many consumers want to ensure that they are getting an excellent value from their mattress. A great value can come in many different forms, from a lower price, great components, or higher durability.
In this article, we’re sharing our top picks for the best mattresses for the money. We’ll also go over everything consumers should know about to get a great value out of their mattress. Keep reading to learn more!
Our Top Picks
The best mattresses for the money are:
- Saatva – Best Innerspring Mattress
- Purple – Best Long-Lasting Mattress
- Nectar – Best Value Memory Foam Mattress
- Leesa – Best Value Foam Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding Signature – Best Value Hybrid Mattress
- Zinus – Most Affordable Mattress
Keep reading to learn more about each of these mattresses that give you the most bang for your buck, or check out our best affordable mattress picks if you’re simply looking to save as much money as possible on a bed.
Best Innerspring Mattress For The Money
The Saatva is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top, so fans of traditional innerspring mattresses should really enjoy the Saatva. People get the softness of a pillow top and the firmness of coils, so it really has a great balance of comfort and support.
So, it should be a great match for all three sleeping positions. On one’s back, the hips sink into the top layer but not too far, and on one’s side, the pillow top offers great pressure relief. Finally, on one’s stomach, people should feel great overall support.
The construction also makes this a very durable mattress. The coils are high-grade and the top pillow layer is also very high-quality, so this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
When people consider the comfort, support, and durability, they would expect the mattress to cost two or three times what it does. People get a great, long-lasting innerspring mattress without having to pay an exorbitant price.
What Makes The Saatva Mattress Stand Out?
- Saatva is the best innerspring mattress for the money.
- It offers a great balance of comfort and support, and people get the softness of a pillow top and the support of coils.
- The mattress should be a great fit for all three sleeping positions. Back and stomach sleepers will get enough support, while side sleepers should feel nice pressure relief.
- The mattress includes very durable materials, which makes it an excellent value when people think about how long the mattress will last.
- The coils allow for a good amount of airflow. This makes the mattress more breathable so people shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Saatva.
- The Saatva should even be able to handle larger weights. Heavier back sleepers and side sleepers should find the Saatva to be a good fit.
Check out our full Saatva mattress review, available here.
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $100 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Long Lasting Mattress
The Purple mattress is very unique in that it includes a hyper-elastic gel polymer in its top layer. The hyper-elastic gel polymer forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure relieving at the same time. Basically, it stays firm until a certain amount of pressure is applied, and then it only collapses under that specific area.
Because of this, the Purple is a great mattress for all three sleeping positions. When people are on their back, the gel grid collapses under your hips but nowhere else, and when they are on their side, it just collapses under their hips and shoulders. On their stomach, the mattress stays flat and supportive.
I will note that lightweight and medium-weight side sleepers might think the Purple is a bit too firm, because they might not activate this gel layer and could feel some firmness on their shoulders and hips.
However, this gel grid is also a very durable material. With memory foam, you will notice some sagging over time, but this gel grid should not sag and your body should not leave an indentation.
While this is not the most affordable mattress on this list it is probably the most durable, and when you take this into account, the Purple is a great mattress for the money. It is a comfortable yet supportive mattress that will last people for many years to come.
What Makes The Purple Mattress Stand Out?
- It has a very unique gel grid on top and is both supportive and comfortable at the same time.
- The Purple should be a good fit for all three sleeping positions. It is supportive enough for back and stomach sleepers and good for side sleepers.
- The gel grid is a very durable material, so it should stand up to years of use so the Purple should be a good long-term investment.
- The gel grid also allows for a lot of airflow. This creates a temperature neutral sleeping surface, and people shouldn’t be overheating on the Purple.
- The Purple could even be a good match for people of larger weights. However, there is also the New Purple mattresses to consider if people need an even thicker comfort layer.
Read our full Purple mattress review, available here.
Purple is an innovative mattress that is a great fit for all three sleeping positions and doesn't sleep hot. You can get the best current deal on the Purple mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best Value Memory Foam Mattress
The Nectar is a memory foam mattress with that classic quicksandy feel. When you lie on the Nectar, you slowly sink into the mattress and feel it envelop you.
The mattress is a great fit for back and side sleepers. Lying on your back, you should feel your hips sink into the mattress while the top layer also presses up into your lumbar area. This soft memory foam mattress will contour to the shape of your body very effectively.
When you move to your side, you should feel great pressure relief on your shoulders and hips and will sink into the mattress and feel the pressure melt away.
This a very high-quality memory foam mattress that I would expect to cost much more. However, Nectar makes their mattresses overseas and are able to sell them for less than many memory foam mattresses.
If you are looking for a soft memory foam mattress and want to save some money, the Nectar should be an awesome choice to consider.
What Makes The Nectar Mattress Stand Out?
- It features a classic memory foam feel. The memory foam is not very soft and you should feel yourself slowly sink into the mattress.
- The Nectar is a great choice for back and side sleepers.
- You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Nectar, because the cover and top foam layers are all designed to help you sleep cool at night.
- It is a great value option for those who like soft memory foam and sleep on their back and/or side.
Read the full Nectar mattress review, available here.
Nectar is a very comfortable memory foam mattress that happens to also be an amazing value, and customers can get the best deal on the Nectar plus two premium pillows by clicking the link below.
Best Value Foam Mattress
Some people like foam mattresses, but they don’t exactly want that slow-moving memory foam feel. Those who want a foam mattress that is quicker to respond should take a look at the Leesa mattress.
The Leesa mattress features a proprietary LSA200 foam which is more responsive than many types of memory foam. This makes it particularly easy to move around on the mattress without getting stuck. It also gives the mattress a bit more bounce, which is preferable to some people.
The Leesa boasts an excellent balance of comfort and support that should be ideal for back sleepers. They should feel their hips sinking in just the perfect amount while the mattress supports the rest of their body. Also, side sleepers should get fantastic pressure relief from the LSA200 foam and a layer of pure memory foam.
Last but not least, the Leesa costs less than $1000 for a Queen mattress, which is a very good deal for something so high-quality.
What Makes The Leesa Stand Out?
- The Leesa features a balanced foam feel that makes it easy for sleepers to reposition at night.
- The mattress should be an excellent choice for back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The LSA200 foam is more breathable than memory foam, so the top of the mattress should sleep quite cool.
- The mattress is a very good deal considering the quality of the materials.
Read the full Leesa mattress review
Best Value Hybrid Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a hybrid mattress with coils and two-latex like layers. This construction gives the mattress a good balance of comfort and support.
This design means the Signature is a good option for all three sleeping positions. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers should feel proper support, and side sleepers should also feel nice pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
Also, the coils and other layers are also very durable, so they should stand up to quite a bit of use and this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
Finally, Brooklyn Bedding is able to sell all their mattresses at a lower price because they own their own factory. They are able to skip the middleman and pass the savings directly onto the customer.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a great hybrid mattress sold at a value price.
What Makes The Signature Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a great match for all three sleeping positions, because it is supportive enough for back and stomach sleepers and comfortable enough for side sleepers.
- The mattress features very durable components, so this should be a solid long-term investment.
- Brooklyn Bedding owns their own factory and sells their mattresses for a fraction of the price.
- The company also offers other value mattresses like the Brooklyn Bedding Bowery, Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, and Brooklyn Bedding Spartan.
Check out the full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress review, available here.
Brooklyn Bedding has amazing products that are sold at very affordable prices. You can get an additional 20% off Brooklyn Bedding mattresses by clicking below and using code CLARITY20 at checkout.
Most Affordable Mattress
The Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress is a memory foam mattress with options. Consumers can choose from the 8”, 10”, 12”, or 14” models, and each model has a different firmness and is a good fit for different types of sleepers.
Having reviewed the 12” model, I can say that it is a high-quality mattress with that classic slow-moving memory foam feel. Those who like to slowly sink into their mattress should like one of the Zinus Cooling Gel mattress models.
The Zinus is the most affordable mattress on this list, as it is currently priced under $350 for a Queen deal. They make their mattresses overseas and this allows them to keep the price very low.
If someone wants to save a lot of money and still get a comfortable memory foam mattress, the Zinus should be a good option for you.
What Makes The Zinus Mattress Stand Out?
- Consumers have many firmness options to choose from, so they should be able to find the right mattress to fit their sleeping preferences.
- The mattress has that classic memory foam feel where people slowly sink into the mattress.
- The Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress is a very good value. It is a comfortable memory foam mattress sold at a very affordable price.
- The memory foam handles motion transfer very well. The Zinus mattresses should be some of the best mattresses for couples.
Read the full Zinus mattress review, available here.
Zinus has a wide selection of mattresses that are really great values: customers can get the best current deal on Zinus mattresses simply by clicking the link below.
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type than I do: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers:
Out of this list, there are three mattresses that are a great pick for heavier people like myself.
First, we have the Saatva, which has a construction that consists of coils and a pillow top. It has a great balance of comfort and support. When I am on my back, my hips sink in but not too far, and when I am on my side, I feel surprisingly good pressure relief.
Next, we have the Purple, which is a great match for all three sleeping positions because of the hyper-elastic gel polymer that is on top. This is designed to only collapse under the heavier parts of the body. When I’m on my back, it only collapses under my hips and butt, and when I am on my side, it only collapses under my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, the mattress doesn’t collapse at all and stays flat and supportive.
Finally, we have the GhostBed, which is the firmest of these three mattresses. On my back and my stomach, I feel fantastic support and don’t sink in too far at all.
So, if you’re a larger person like me, one of these mattresses should work for you.
If you are looking for a mattress, it is always smart to consider your bodyweight. If you are a larger person looking for good value mattress, the Saatva, Purple, and GhostBed should be good options.
How To Get The Most For Your Money
Watch Out For Deals And Sales
Mattress retailers are known for having sales at fairly predictable times of the year. President’s Day, for example, is a pretty common time to find lots of mattress sales. A good portion of the sales also fall around holiday times such as the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Memorial Day.
If someone is looking to purchase a mattress in a store or online, they should take a look at when the standard mattress sales are happening and consider waiting until then to get that extra value from your purchase.
Also, people should keep an eye out for bundles, because many retailers offer pillows, sheet sets, and even foundations with the purchase of your mattress. If someone is in need of a full bedroom set, they should factor this kind of deal into their decision-making process.
What Type Of Mattress Is The Best Value?
When shopping for a new mattress, there are a few different types to choose from. The main types of mattresses shoppers will come across are innerspring, memory foam, latex, and hybrids. If people are trying to find the best value, they should consider how much the mattress costs and exactly how long it will last. This will let them know if they are truly getting the best bang for their buck!
- Innerspring – Innerspring mattresses are known for offering great support and a good deal of bounce. The average innerspring mattress is going to cost approximately $1000. Of course, this can vary greatly depending on the company and exactly what materials they use, but $1000 is the median price for this type of mattress. A decent innerspring mattress that features coils should last for an average duration of eight years, but this will vary depending on the quality and durability of the coils used in the mattress. A poor innerspring mattress’s coils may start to sag after just a few years, causing serious discomfort for sleepers.
- Memory foam – These types of mattresses are all about offering soft comfort and pressure relief. The average memory foam mattress will also cost around $1000, but shoppers can find some very affordable online mattresses for under $500. However, these lower-priced memory foam mattresses will start to sag quickly, and sleepers will notice body indentations. That being said, a quality memory foam mattress should last for around 10 years before it needs to be replaced.
- Latex – Latex is known for its durability and can make for a very long-lasting mattress. While latex mattresses do cost more, around $2000 on average, they will undoubtedly last longer. They shouldn’t sag too quickly and should last for between 12 and 15 years, making them a sound investment.
- Hybrid – A hybrid mattress is a mix of the mattresses mentioned above. It will feature coils in the support layer and then memory foam, latex, or some other type of foam in the comfort layer. The average price for a hybrid is also around $2000, but shoppers can find a decent hybrid for around $1500. A hybrid mattress’s longevity depends on what materials are in the support and comfort layers, but a well-built hybrid should last for around 10 years on average.
Think About The Durability Of Each Mattress
The phrase “people get what they pay for” is especially true when it comes to mattresses. The range in durability from one mattress to the next can be pretty substantial depending on the materials used in the construction. If someone saves $300 on a mattress, but it wears out in five years, are they really getting a good value? Compare that to a mattress that costs $300 more but wears out after 10 to 12 years? Most people would argue that the second mattress ends up being a better deal over the long term.
Before purchasing a mattress, people should consider how long they want to have the mattress and then read reviews to make sure they know how long they can expect the mattress to last.
You may be paying more for certain materials up front, but the mattress will pay for itself with its extra years of use.
Doing The Work To Make A Mattress Last
- Buy a mattress protector- It may seem like more money, but a mattress protector could add years to a mattress, because it protects against stains and messes, and many warranties require people to use a mattress protector.
- Make sure the mattress is supported- The majority of mattresses require a box spring, foundation, or bed to ensure your mattress wears evenly. Also, some warranties may be voided if people don’t use the correct foundation, so there are multiple reasons why people should strongly consider their foundation when looking at a mattress.
- Don’t bounce on the bed- If people have kids, they may enjoy jumping on the bed, but this can damage the mattress, especially if it has coils.
- Keep food out of the bed- It may be nice to eat a few cookies in bed, but those crumbs could attract bugs. If someone is going to eat in bed, they should definitely change your sheets frequently.
- Flip your mattress regularly- While many online mattresses are not flippable, there are still some mattresses that benefit from regular flipping. This cuts down on the wear and body indentation that can affect sleeping surfaces.
- Spot-clean any messes immediately- Accidents do happen, and if someone does make a mess, they should carefully clean it at once. Take a look at your mattress’s materials and use cleaners that won’t damage the mattress. Learn more about cleaning your mattress in this in-depth article.
Consider Where You Purchase Your Mattress
A vast majority of people now buy their mattresses online rather than going to brick and mortar physical location. That’s largely because online shopping offers greater convenience, and many brick-and-mortar mattress stores can be confusing when it comes to their models, pricing, and firmness scales.
While people can’t try out an online mattress the way they can in a mattress store, they often come with generous sleep trials. These allow people to try out the mattress for a few months (100 days is a common trial length) and return it if they are unhappy.
In addition, many online mattresses are more affordable than their in-store counterparts, because they have less overhead and have cut out the middlemen to pass savings directly to the consumer. In addition, some companies own their own factories, which allows them to keep prices even lower.
There are also a few hidden-gem companies out there that spend very little on marketing, and they pass on the savings to the customer in the form of a lower price. This is a subtle nuance, but there are definitely extra savings to be had if people can find a company with a great product that doesn’t spend a lot on marketing.
Also, some companies make their mattresses overseas, which allows them to cut down on costs and pass the savings directly on to the consumer.
Take A Close Look At Trial Periods And Warranties
Most mattress companies (both online and brick-and-mortar) offer warranties, and most online mattresses come with a sleep trial.
While these can be very helpful and save people money if they have problems, they should make sure they have a firm understanding of the fine print. Some warranties will be voided without the proper foundation or care, for example, and some trial periods don’t include free shipping. If people don’t enjoy the product, they may have to pay to return it.
Watch Out For Shipping / Taxes
If consumers purchase online, they should check to see if they will have to pay extra for shipping or not. A lot of the new companies offer free shipping, but not all do make that offering. People may think they’re getting a great deal, but it never feels good to get hit with unexpected shipping costs during the checkout process.
Similarly, depending on where people live, they may have to pay sales taxes additionally. It’s another cost that people probably don’t think about but that they may or may not be responsible for paying.
Also, people should keep a lookout for companies that offer “White Glove Delivery.” With this option, movers will bring the mattress to a person’s door, set it up, and take away the trash. This can be very worth it, especially if people are dealing with a heavy mattress or their bedroom is not on the first floor.
These extra costs probably shouldn’t make or break someone’s decision, but it’s an added bonus if them don’t have to pay them.
Here’s an overview of our top picks for the best mattresses for the money:
|Saatva||Best Innerspring Mattress|
|Purple||Best Long-Lasting Mattress|
|Nectar||Best Value Memory Foam Mattress|
|Leesa||Best Value Foam Mattress|
|Brooklyn Bedding Signature||Best Value Hybrid Mattress|
|Zinus||Most Affordable Mattress|
Buying a mattress can be quite intimidating, because there are so many things to think about in order to ensure your money is well spent. Using this guide, people should be able to find the most appropriate mattress for the (and at the right price). People should read through this guide multiple times, assess their needs and preferences, and then make an informed purchasing decision.
Looking for more tailored recommendations? Be sure to check out our mattress quiz.
Featured image: craig hill/Shutterstock
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.