There are so many fantastic bed-in-a-box mattresses out there, but many consumers want to ensure that they are getting an excellent value from their mattress. A great value can come in many different forms, from a lower price, great components, or higher durability.
In this article, we’re sharing our top picks for the best mattresses for the money. We’ll also go over everything consumers should know about to get a great value out of their mattress. Keep reading to learn more!
Our Top Picks
The best mattresses for the money are:
- Nectar – Editor’s Pick
- Saatva – Best Innerspring Mattress
- Leesa – Best Value Foam Mattress
- Puffy – Best Soft Mattress For The Money
- WinkBed – Best Hybrid Mattress For The Money
- Layla – Best Memory Foam Mattress
- Dreamfoam Chill – Cheapest Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding Signature -Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
- DreamCloud – Best Firm Mattress
- Casper – Best Bed-In-A-Box Mattress
Keep reading to learn more about each of these mattresses that give you the most bang for your buck, or check out our best affordable mattress picks if you’re simply looking to save as much money as possible on a bed.
The Nectar is a memory foam mattress with that classic quicksandy feel. When you lie on the Nectar, you slowly sink into the mattress and feel it envelop you.
The mattress is a great fit for back and side sleepers. Lying on your back, you should feel your hips sink into the mattress while the top layer also presses up into your lumbar area. This soft memory foam mattress will contour to the shape of your body very effectively.
When you move to your side, you should feel great pressure relief on your shoulders and hips and will sink into the mattress and feel the pressure melt away.
This a very high-quality memory foam mattress that I would expect to cost much more. However, Nectar makes their mattresses overseas and are able to sell them for less than many memory foam mattresses.
If you are looking for a soft memory foam mattress and want to save some money, the Nectar should be an awesome choice to consider.
What Makes The Nectar Mattress Stand Out?
- It features a classic memory foam feel. The memory foam is not very soft and you should feel yourself slowly sink into the mattress.
- The Nectar is a great choice for back and side sleepers.
- You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Nectar, because the cover and top foam layers are all designed to help you sleep cool at night.
- It is a great value option for those who like soft memory foam and sleep on their back and/or side.
Read the full Nectar mattress review, available here.
Nectar is a very comfortable memory foam mattress that happens to also be an amazing value, and customers can save $100 on the Nectar plus get $399 worth of free accessories by using our coupon.
Best Innerspring Mattress For The Money
The Saatva is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top, so fans of traditional innerspring mattresses should really enjoy the Saatva. People get the softness of a pillow top and the firmness of coils, so it really has a great balance of comfort and support.
So, it should be a great match for all three sleeping positions. On one’s back, the hips sink into the top layer but not too far, and on one’s side, the pillow top offers great pressure relief. Finally, on one’s stomach, people should feel great overall support.
The construction also makes this a very durable mattress. The coils are high-grade and the top pillow layer is also very high-quality, so this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
When people consider the comfort, support, and durability, they would expect the mattress to cost two or three times what it does. People get a great, long-lasting innerspring mattress without having to pay an exorbitant price.
What Makes The Saatva Mattress Stand Out?
- Saatva is the best innerspring mattress for the money.
- It offers a great balance of comfort and support, and people get the softness of a pillow top and the support of coils.
- The mattress should be a great fit for all three sleeping positions. Back and stomach sleepers will get enough support, while side sleepers should feel nice pressure relief.
- The mattress includes very durable materials, which makes it an excellent value when people think about how long the mattress will last.
- The coils allow for a good amount of airflow. This makes the mattress more breathable so people shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Saatva.
- The Saatva should even be able to handle larger weights. Heavier back sleepers and side sleepers should find the Saatva to be a good fit.
Check out our full Saatva mattress review, available here.
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $200 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best Value Foam Mattress
Some people like foam mattresses, but they don’t exactly want that slow-moving memory foam feel. Those who want a foam mattress that is quicker to respond should take a look at the Leesa mattress.
The Leesa mattress features a proprietary LSA200 foam which is more responsive than many types of memory foam. This makes it particularly easy to move around on the mattress without getting stuck. It also gives the mattress a bit more bounce, which is preferable to some people.
The Leesa boasts an excellent balance of comfort and support that should be ideal for back sleepers. They should feel their hips sinking in just the perfect amount while the mattress supports the rest of their body. Also, side sleepers should get fantastic pressure relief from the LSA200 foam and a layer of pure memory foam.
Last but not least, the Leesa costs less than $1000 for a Queen mattress, which is a very good deal for something so high-quality.
What Makes The Leesa Stand Out?
- The Leesa features a balanced foam feel that makes it easy for sleepers to reposition at night.
- The mattress should be an excellent choice for back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The LSA200 foam is more breathable than memory foam, so the top of the mattress should sleep quite cool.
- The mattress is a very good deal considering the quality of the materials.
Read the full Leesa mattress review
Leesa is a very comfortable mattress that I think a lot of people are going to really like. You can get up to $500 plus 2 free pillows with the purchase of a Leesa Original mattress simply by clicking the link below.
Best Soft Mattress For The Money
Puffy Lux Hybrid
If you’re a side sleeper, or just prefer sleeping on a soft mattress, we recommend the Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress. There’s a reason why people say this mattress is like “sleeping on a cloud.”
This all-foam mattress feels soft and plush, so you’ll get tons of body contouring and pressure relief. And thanks to its Cooling Cloud technology, Puffy mattresses won’t trap heat like many other beds do.
Plus, Puffy mattresses are extremely durable. They’re even backed by a lifetime warranty!
What Makes The Puffy Lux Hybrid Mattress Stand Out?
- It feels plush and soft, so it’s great for side sleepers.
- It creates tons of pressure relief and body contouring.
- The Puffy mattress has many cooling features designed to dissipate heat.
Read the full Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress review.
- Click the button to save $300 on the Puffy Lux mattress and get $455 worth of free accessories
- Features soft, comfortable memory foam
- A great fit for light- and medium-weight side sleepers
Best Hybrid Mattress For The Money
With several different firmness options to choose from, WinkBed has a bed for every type of sleeper. And, to make things even better, it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!
The WinkBed has a traditional innerspring feel, so it’s easy to move around on top of it. Its zoned support layer feels firmer in some places and softer in others, making it one of the best mattresses for lower back pain.
This mattress also has many impressive cooling features. The cover is made out of Tencel, so it’s extra breathable. Then, there’s a luxurious pillow top layer infused with gel memory foam. This material helps draw heat away from the body, so you shouldn’t wake up feeling clammy at night.
Not only is the WinkBed affordable, it’s super durable! We expect this mattress to last you a long time.
What Makes The WinkBed Stand Out?
- It has several firmness options to choose from: Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm.
- It’s an affordable and durable mattress, so it’s a great investment.
- The WinkBed is specially designed to prevent sleepers from overheating at night.
Read the full WinkBed mattress review
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $300 off + Free Sleep Bundle with our coupon. Just enter your email to save.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
Do you love the luxurious feeling of memory foam, but don’t want to drain your bank account? If so, you may want to consider the Layla mattress.
Not only does this mattress create excellent pressure relief – it’s also flippable! You can choose between the firm or soft side to reach the right comfort level for you.
Its impressive cooling elements help keep sleepers feeling comfortable all night long. First, the Layla mattress has Thermogel inside the cover. This cooling agent helps pull heat away from the body. Below that, the Layla mattress has copper gel beads inside the memory foam. This promotes breathability and airflow.
And because it’s an all-foam mattress, the Layla isolates motion very well. This is an especially great mattress for couples.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- The Layla is flippable, so you can choose between the firm or soft side.
- The Layla is one of the best memory foam mattresses on the market.
- It has many impressive cooling features.
- The Layla isolates motion well, so it’s a great choice for couples.
Read the full Layla mattress review
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get up to $200 off a Layla mattress plus free accessories by clicking the link below.
The Dreamfoam Chill is a memory foam mattress with options. Consumers can choose from the 6,” 8”, 10”, 12”, or 14” models, and each model has a different firmness and is a good fit for different types of sleepers.
Having reviewed the 12” model, we can say that it is a high-quality mattress with a bit of that classic slow-moving memory foam feel. Those who like to sink into their mattress a bit should like the Dreamfoam Chill.
As the name suggests, the Dreamfoam Chill is also designed with hot sleepers in mind. It features a gel infusion to keep the memory foam from trapping too much heat.
The Dreamfoam Chill is the most affordable mattress on this list, as it is currently priced around $500 for a 12″ Queen mattress. If you want to save a lot of money and still get a comfortable memory foam mattress, the Dreamfoam Chill should be a good option for you.
What Makes The Dreamfoam Chill Mattress Stand Out?
- Consumers have many firmness options to choose from, so they should be able to find the right mattress to fit their sleeping preferences.
- The mattress has some of that classic memory foam feel where people slowly sink into the mattress.
- The Dreamfoam Chill mattress is a very good value. It is a comfortable memory foam mattress sold at a very affordable price.
Read the full Dreamfoam Chill mattress review
The Dreamfoam Chill is a cooling, affordable memory foam mattress that comes in multiple thicknesses. Click the button to save 20% on your purchase.
Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a hybrid mattress with coils and two-latex like layers. This construction gives the mattress a good balance of comfort and support.
This design means the Signature is a good option for all three sleeping positions. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers should feel proper support, and side sleepers should also feel nice pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
Also, the coils and other layers are also very durable, so they should stand up to quite a bit of use and this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
Finally, Brooklyn Bedding is able to sell all their mattresses at a lower price because they own their own factory. They are able to skip the middleman and pass the savings directly onto the customer.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a great hybrid mattress sold at a value price.
What Makes The Signature Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a great match for all three sleeping positions, because it is supportive enough for back and stomach sleepers and comfortable enough for side sleepers.
- The mattress features very durable components, so this should be a solid long-term investment.
- Brooklyn Bedding owns their own factory and sells their mattresses for a fraction of the price.
- The company also offers other value mattresses like the Brooklyn Bedding Bowery, Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, and Brooklyn Bedding Spartan.
Check out the full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress review, available here.
Brooklyn Bedding has amazing products that are sold at very affordable prices. Click the button to save 20% on your purchase.
Best Firm Mattress
If you’re a fan of firm mattresses, check out the DreamCloud. This mattress scores a 7.5/10 on our firmness scale – which is one point higher than medium-firm. Because of its impressive support system, this mattress will be a great choice for stomach sleepers.
The DreamCloud has a traditional innerspring feel with a touch of plushness on top. The cover is made out of a soft cashmere blend material, and it’s tufted with foam for an extra layer of comfort. Beneath this sits a layer of soft memory foam and a row of individually-wrapped coils.
Due to its high-quality construction, the DreamCloud will suit sleepers of varying weights. Lightweight people will really feel the soft comfort layer, and heavier folks will notice more of the support at the bottom.
With a 365-day trial period and lifetime warranty, the DreamCloud mattress remains one of the best mattresses for the money.
What Makes The DreamCloud Mattress Stand Out?
- The DreamCloud is a firm hybrid mattress that’s great for stomach sleepers.
- Thanks to its strong coil system, the DreamCloud can support heavier people.
- It has impressive customer service terms.
Read our full DreamCloud mattress review
The DreamCloud is a high-quality hybrid mattress that is sold for a value price - click the button to save $200 on the DreamCloud mattress and get $399 of free accessories.
Best Bed-In-A-Box Mattress
As the original bed-in-a-box brand, Casper has made waves in the mattress industry. But it’s not just the inventive packaging that put Casper on the map. Their original mattress also contains many impressive features.
First, it has zoned support. This means the bed will feel softer around your shoulders and firmer under your lower back. If you suffer from back pain, this mattress may help you alleviate strain and pressure.
Additionally, the original Casper mattress contains the company’s proprietary AirScape foam. Because it has small holes throughout, this material feels especially cool and breathable. This means it’s less likely to trap body heat!
Because of its high-quality materials, the Casper mattress should last for many years to come. That’s why we named it the best box mattress for the money.
What Makes The Casper Original Stand Out?
- It has zoned support, so it works especially well for people with back pain
- This mattress has many cooling features
- It’s a high-quality and durable mattress.
Read our full Casper mattress review.
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. Click the button to save 15% on your purchase with the code SLEEP21!
Best For Heavyweight Sleepers – Over 230lbs
If you are a heavier person, you want to make sure you get a mattress that can handle your weight. Out of this list, the Saatva really stands out as a great choice.
The Saatva Classic mattress has coils at the bottom and a plush pillow top, which creates a great balance of comfort and support. When you are on your back, your hips should sink in but not too far. When you are on your side, you should feel surprisingly good pressure relief.
If you weigh more than 300lbs, we recommend considering the WinkBeds Plus. This bed was specifically designed to handle heavier weights, and it works great for couples.
RELATED: SweetNight Mattress Review
How To Get The Most For Your Money
Watch Out For Deals And Sales
Mattress retailers are known for having sales at fairly predictable times of the year. President’s Day, for example, is a pretty common time to find lots of mattress sales. A good portion of the sales also fall around holiday times such as the Presidents’ Day, the Fourth of July, and Black Friday.
If someone is looking to purchase a mattress in a store or online, they should take a look at when the standard mattress sales are happening and consider waiting until then to get that extra value from your purchase.
Also, people should keep an eye out for bundles, because many retailers offer pillows, sheet sets, and even foundations with the purchase of your mattress. If someone is in need of a full bedroom set, they should factor this kind of deal into their decision-making process.
What Type Of Mattress Is The Best Value?
When shopping for a new mattress, there are a few different types to choose from. The main types of mattresses shoppers will come across are innerspring, memory foam, latex, and hybrids. If people are trying to find the best value, they should consider how much the mattress costs and exactly how long it will last. This will let them know if they are truly getting the best bang for their buck!
- Innerspring – Innerspring mattresses are known for offering great support and a good deal of bounce. The average innerspring mattress is going to cost approximately $1000. Of course, this can vary greatly depending on the company and exactly what materials they use, but $1000 is the median price for this type of mattress. A decent innerspring mattress that features coils should last for an average duration of eight years, but this will vary depending on the quality and durability of the coils used in the mattress. A poor innerspring mattress’s coils may start to sag after just a few years, causing serious discomfort for sleepers.
- Memory foam – These types of mattresses are all about offering soft comfort and pressure relief. The average memory foam mattress will also cost around $1000, but shoppers can find some very affordable online mattresses for under $500. However, these lower-priced memory foam mattresses will start to sag quickly, and sleepers will notice body indentations. That being said, a quality memory foam mattress should last for around 10 years before it needs to be replaced.
- Latex – Latex is known for its durability and can make for a very long-lasting mattress. While latex mattresses do cost more, around $2000 on average, they will undoubtedly last longer. They shouldn’t sag too quickly and should last for between 12 and 15 years, making them a sound investment.
- Hybrid – A hybrid mattress is a mix of the mattresses mentioned above. It will feature coils in the support layer and then memory foam, latex, or some other type of foam in the comfort layer. The average price for a hybrid is also around $2000, but shoppers can find a decent hybrid for around $1500. A hybrid mattress’s longevity depends on what materials are in the support and comfort layers, but a well-built hybrid should last for around 10 years on average. All that being said, there are many more affordable options. Check out our SweetNight mattress review for just one example.
Think About The Durability Of Each Mattress
The phrase “people get what they pay for” is especially true when it comes to mattresses. The range in durability from one mattress to the next can be pretty substantial depending on the materials used in the construction. If someone saves $300 on a mattress, but it wears out in five years, are they really getting a good value? Compare that to a mattress that costs $300 more but wears out after 10 to 12 years? Most people would argue that the second mattress ends up being a better deal over the long term.
Before purchasing a mattress, people should consider how long they want to have the mattress and then read reviews to make sure they know how long they can expect the mattress to last.
You may be paying more for certain materials up front, but the mattress will pay for itself with its extra years of use.
Doing The Work To Make A Mattress Last
Once someone has purchased a mattress, the work does not stop there to make it last. There are several steps people can take to ensure they get to use their mattress for a long time. Keep reading to learn how to make your mattress last longer.
- Buy a mattress protector- It may seem like more money, but a mattress protector could add years to a mattress, because it protects against stains and messes, and many warranties require people to use a mattress protector.
- Make sure the mattress is supported- The majority of mattresses require a box spring, foundation, or bed to ensure your mattress wears evenly. Also, some warranties may be voided if people don’t use the correct foundation, so there are multiple reasons why people should strongly consider their foundation when looking at a mattress.
- Don’t bounce on the bed- If people have kids, they may enjoy jumping on the bed, but this can damage the mattress, especially if it has coils.
- Keep food out of the bed- It may be nice to eat a few cookies in bed, but those crumbs could attract bugs. If someone is going to eat in bed, they should definitely change your sheets frequently.
- Flip your mattress regularly- While many online mattresses are not flippable, there are still some mattresses that benefit from regular flipping. This cuts down on the wear and body indentation that can affect sleeping surfaces.
- Spot-clean any messes immediately- Accidents do happen, and if someone does make a mess, they should carefully clean it at once. Take a look at your mattress’s materials and use cleaners that won’t damage the mattress. Learn more about cleaning your mattress in this in-depth article.
Consider Where You Purchase Your Mattress
A vast majority of people now buy their mattresses online rather than going to brick and mortar physical location. That’s largely because online shopping offers greater convenience, and many brick-and-mortar mattress stores can be confusing when it comes to their models, pricing, and firmness scales.
While people can’t try out an online mattress the way they can in a mattress store, they often come with generous sleep trials. These allow people to try out the mattress for a few months (100 days is a common trial length) and return it if they are unhappy.
In addition, many online mattresses are more affordable than their in-store counterparts, because they have less overhead and have cut out the middlemen to pass savings directly to the consumer. In addition, some companies own their own factories, which allows them to keep prices even lower.
There are also a few hidden-gem companies out there that spend very little on marketing, and they pass on the savings to the customer in the form of a lower price. This is a subtle nuance, but there are definitely extra savings to be had if people can find a company with a great product that doesn’t spend a lot on marketing.
Also, some companies make their mattresses overseas, which allows them to cut down on costs and pass the savings directly on to the consumer.
Take A Close Look At Trial Periods And Warranties
Most mattress companies (both online and brick-and-mortar) offer warranties, and most online mattresses come with a sleep trial.
While these can be very helpful and save people money if they have problems, they should make sure they have a firm understanding of the fine print. Some warranties will be voided without the proper foundation or care, for example, and some trial periods don’t include free shipping. If people don’t enjoy the product, they may have to pay to return it.
Watch Out For Shipping / Taxes
If consumers purchase online, they should check to see if they will have to pay extra for shipping or not. A lot of the new companies offer free shipping, but not all do make that offering. People may think they’re getting a great deal, but it never feels good to get hit with unexpected shipping costs during the checkout process.
Similarly, depending on where people live, they may have to pay sales taxes additionally. It’s another cost that people probably don’t think about but that they may or may not be responsible for paying.
Also, people should keep a lookout for companies that offer “White Glove Delivery.” With this option, movers will bring the mattress to a person’s door, set it up, and take away the trash. This can be very worth it, especially if people are dealing with a heavy mattress or their bedroom is not on the first floor.
These extra costs probably shouldn’t make or break someone’s decision, but it’s an added bonus if them don’t have to pay them.
Here’s an overview of our top picks for the best mattresses for the money:
|Saatva||Best Innerspring Mattress|
|Leesa||Best Value Foam Mattress|
|Puffy||Best Soft Mattress For The Money|
|WinkBed||Best Hybrid Mattress For The Money|
|Layla||Best Memory Foam Mattress|
|Dreamfoam Chill||Cheapest Mattress|
|Brooklyn Bedding Signature||Best Mattress For Back Sleepers|
|DreamCloud||Best Firm Mattress|
|Casper||Best Bed-In-A-Box Mattress|
Looking for more tailored recommendations? Be sure to check out our mattress quiz.
Featured image: craig hill/Shutterstock