Saatva is one of the few companies that sells an innerspring mattress exclusively online. It does offer great value, but I do have a few complaints as well.
If you are used to innerspring mattresses -and many people are – you will probably be right at home with the Saatva. It has a smart construction and a traditional spring feel while being available at a very affordable price. It also has a nice bounce. You will definitely feel that you are sleeping “on” the mattress rather than “in” it.
Having said that, it’s not going to be for everyone, as there is a certain type of feel that some people prefer more, like a slow-moving memory foam feel.
Read further for my full Saatva mattress review.
- Who Should Be Interested In Saatva?
- Who Might Not Want To Look At Saatva
- Who Makes The Saatva Mattress?
- Mattress Construction
- What is the Coil on Coil Sleep System?
- Made In America
- Comfort Levels and Heights
- Which Comfort Level Is Most Popular?
- What Is A Euro Pillow Top?
- Sleep Wellness And Spinal Health Benefits
- Chiropractic Seal Of Approval
- Saatva Motion Transfer Test
- Saatva Firmness and Feel
- What Type Of Bed Will It Work With?
- How Eco-Friendly is Saatva?
- Are Saatva Mattresses 100% Organic?
- What About Off-Gassing?
- How To Order
- Shipping And Home Delivery Options
- In-Home Trial Period
- Final Recommendation
Who Should Be Interested In Saatva?
- You Want To Buy Online– Buying a mattress online is becoming more and more popular, and Saatva is one of the few innerspring companies that sells online.
- You Want Good Value– The online-only business model lets Saatva compete very well on price compared to more mainstream innerspring brands (think Beautyrest or Stearns & Foster)
- You Hate Sleeping Hot– Saatva is an innerspring mattress with bio-based foam on top. It does not sleep hot at all.
- You Want A Mattress With Great Construction and Support– I won’t get into the nitty-gritty details of the construction, but the “coil-on-coil” the company uses is a major step up from other innerspring competitors at the lower price range.
Who Might Not Want To Look At Saatva
- You Want A Memory Foam Feel– Those who are used to memory foam or are seeking out that memory foam feel will not get experience from Saatva. I would look at other alternatives if this applies to you.
- You Like To Sink Into The Mattress– Because it isn’t pure foam, you don’t really get the feeling where the mattress envelops around you. You feel you sleep “on” the mattress, rather than “in” the mattress.
- You Absolutely Need To Try The Mattress Out In A Store– Saatva is available only online, so you won’t know the exact feel beforehand.
Picture of the Saatva Mattress organic cotton cover.
Who Makes The Saatva Mattress?
The Saatva Company is a privately held business that introduced the Saatva innerspring in 2010. According to Saatva’s website, they have grown from a mid-sized regional luxury mattress company to one of the biggest online-only online mattress companies who ships nationwide.
Saatva’s mattresses are made in America (and Canada). They have 19 factories throughout the US and Canada fabricating their products and 135 fulfillment centers that deliver the mattresses.
In addition to their mattress, Saatva also sells an adjustable base that they call the Lineal.
Saatva is big on having non-commissioned sales representatives so the customer feels that they’re getting honest feedback and guidance on what product is best for them and there is no pressure to make a sale.
Saatva has a unique “coil on coil system” within the mattress. The components are as follows:
Individually wrapped comfort coils: These coils are designed to contour to your body and are featured in the top portion of the mattress.
Dual Perimeter Edge Support System: The edges of the mattress are encased in foam, adding support to the edge of your mattress helps increase durability and stop potential sagging.
Lumbar Support Enhancement: A layer of memory foam is used to help provide pressure relief, reduce stress and tension in your lower back.
Steel Coil Base Support System: All mattresses are made with a tempered steel support lower coil base. This will increase durability and prevent sagging as well.
Organic Cotton Cover & Euro Pillow Top: Compared to a regular pillow top, the Euro Pillow Top offers more cushioning and padding materials. It’s also inserted below the outer cover for a more pleasing and luxurious look.
What is the Coil on Coil Sleep System?
Here is how Saatva describes the system on their website:
Saatva took an ultra-premium approach to its bedding manufacturing by using a dual support coil system. Dual coil support systems are not only more supportive and comfortable than single coil structures; they are much more durable as the strain of the body’s weight is distributed among two series of coils. This leads to higher quality sleep for a much longer period of time. Also coil on coil beds tend to have 50-100% more coil units than traditional standard premium beds. However, because of the cost of production, coil-on-coil units rarely, if ever, sell for less than $2500, and are more often in beds in the $3500 plus range. When our customers get a Saatva bed they immediately feel the ‘coil on coil’ difference.
|Size||Comfort Individually Wrapped Coil||Support Base Coil||Total Coils|
Here is a brief summary of the materials in the Saatva mattress:
- Organic Cotton backed with hypoallergenic fibers
- Plant-based Natural Thistle which consists of wood pulp and a polyester bonding agent
- Cotton, foams of 30% soy and corn oil coupled with polyurethane and Dacron
- Recycled steel springs/ coils
- Eco-friendly Visco memory foam
- Kevlar thread
Made In America
Saatva says they’re proud to be an American company and that their mattresses are made in the USA.
They do work with two factories in Canada for their Canadian customers. However, they said all of the materials used are American products and the merchandise is constructed according to Saatva’s specifications.
Saatva has 19 factories and 135 fulfillment centers that are responsible for delivering the mattresses. On average their mattresses travel less than 100 miles, reducing their carbon footprint.
Saatva does their best to make sure as many components from the mattresses are sourced in America, but they can’t promise that it’s 100%.
Here’s what they said: We cannot account for every nut, bolt and steel component used in each of the 19 American factories manufacturing our proprietary product. We are proud to say that we source 100% of all of our eco-friendly foams in the United States. Over 85% of our other components are also sourced in the United States.
Comfort Levels and Heights
Saatva’s mattress comes in three comfort level options and two different height options.
Plush soft: This comfort level has the most cushion. Coils are wrapped in contouring foam. Saatva says it can be the right fit for the following people:
- If you prefer to sleep on your side and sometimes your back
- If you like to feel enveloped in your bed and linens
- Have trouble with your arms falling asleep before you do
- If you prefer a soft mattress
Luxury firm: This is the most popular comfort level. Saatva calls it their “Flagship Level.” They say it offers the right balance of cushion and support. It may be good for the following people:
- If you prefer to sleep on your side, back or stomach
- It’s the perfect mattress for couples with different sleep needs
- If you are looking for the Goldilocks bed. Not too firm. Not too soft
- If you switch sleeping positions often in the night
- If you are looking for the luxury hotel experience at home
Firm: If you like a firmer mattress this will be the best option for you. Saatva says they layer a firmer (denser) foam layer over the coils. It could be good for the following people:
- If you prefer to sleep on your back or stomach
- Prefer a mattress that you float on top of instead of sink into
- If your health professional recommends a firm mattress
- If you prefer a firmer mattress
The company offers two different mattress heights, the 11.5″ Custom Slim and the 14.5″ Premier Luxury
Here’s how Saatva describes the difference between the heights: The lower steel base coil unit in our 11.5″ model has two fewer turns. The 11.5″ and the 14.5″ models have the identical coil count, the difference is only at the height of the lower coil unit making this purely an aesthetic decision.
|Twin||38” x 75”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80”|
|Full||54” x 75”|
|Queen||60” x 80”|
|King||76” x 80”|
|Cal King||72” x 84”|
Which Comfort Level Is Most Popular?
The Luxury Firm model is Saatva’s most popular comfort level. The company says more than 80% of customers prefer the Luxury Firm rather than our Plush Soft or Firm.
When I asked a representative why the Luxury Firm was the most popular, he said: Our Luxury Firm will accommodate all sleep styles, whether you’re a stomach, back or side sleeper. It does offer a luxury hotel experience. With the Luxury Firm it does offer the best of both worlds, an excellent amount of support to promote spinal alignment, while still providing enough give on your shoulders and hips so you will also be able to sleep on your sides comfortably.
What Is A Euro Pillow Top?
Not everyone may be familiar with a Euro Pillow Top. Saatva says it consists of extra layers of wadding materials added to the top of the mattress, like a standard pillow top. But, in a Euro Pillow Top design, these materials are inserted under the outer cover of the mattress to create a cleaner/neater look instead of it being stitched to the top of the mattress.
Because of this advanced design, a Euro Pillow Top should retain its shape for longer than a standard pillow top.
Sleep Wellness And Spinal Health Benefits
Saatva says that their mattress is designed to provide sleep and spine health benefits.
- Airflow between the innerspring system allows for breathability that promotes cleanliness (fewer issues with germs and dust mites).
- There is special foam layer in the lumbar region of the mattress. Saatva pre-compresses the cushioning in the lumbar area to eliminate breakdown and provide additional support. There is also an additional layer of visco-elastic memory foam in this area for pressure relief.
- The Euro Pillow Top is designed to add contoured comfort, especially for people with back, hip or general joint pain. It is intended to have the perfect balance of cushion and support.
Chiropractic Seal Of Approval
The Saatva mattress contains a patented “Spinal Zone’ sleep technology that Saatva says will help reduce back pain and stiffness. This happens through an active wire support in the center third of the mattress.
According to information on Saatva’s website, the ‘zone’ helps provide correct spinal alignment resulting in increased sleep quality. Working alongside Saatva’s individually wrapped coil system, the Spinal Zone is said to react to any body type to provide a wide range of support, improve weight distribution, and lessen pressure points.
The mattress has been given the Congress of Chiropractic State Association’s Seal of Approval.
Saatva Motion Transfer Test
One thing that people worry about with spring mattresses is motion transfer. This is a concern if you’re sleeping with a partner, especially if one of you is known for moving around throughout the night. The Saatva performs well for motion transfer, see the video below:
Saatva Firmness and Feel
Most people have not slept on a hybrid mattress before, and even if you have, each hybrid is different. Some feel more like a spring mattress, while others feel more like a memory foam mattress.
Watch the video below to get an idea of the feel and firmness of the Saatva (the Luxury Firm is shown).
The bed is slightly firmer than the average bed. The “luxury firm” is what 80% of people buy. It is very comfortable but is probably slightly on the firmer side of the spectrum.
Based on reviews from other customers, some may feel that the Euro Pillow Top, which gives the typically firm innerspring mattress a plusher feel, makes the mattress softer than anticipated.
In the popular Luxury Firm model, the quilted top features 1.25” of “Super Soft Foam” in addition to .75” of fiber filling. Those who want a truly firm mattress may want to consider the Firm model.
What Type Of Bed Will It Work With?
As of March 2017, the Saatva 11.5″ mattress works on an adjustable base. This video shows it working on the Saatva company’s own Lineal adjustable base. The 14.5″ version still does not work on an adjustable bed.
You don’t have to purchase an adjustable bed, foundation or frame from Saatva in order to get the benefits of the mattress. If your box spring/foundation is in very good condition, meaning it’s sturdy and has absolutely no sagging, it should work fine, according to Saatva.
Foundations: If you decide to purchase a foundation along with your mattress, you will have two thickness options — a standard 8.75″ foundation and a 4.75″ low profile foundation. Both come in Twin, Full, Queen, King and California King sizes. Saatva says there is absolutely no difference in the feel between the low profile 4.75″ and the standard 8.75″.
Frame: The optional bed frame for purchase fits all mattress sizes. The center rail has three solid legs for maximum center support from top to bottom. The center support can be used on all sizes for maximum stability and support.
The frame has a total of seven heavy duty legs with floor glides and sits 7.5″ off the ground.
How Eco-Friendly is Saatva?
Saatva is more eco-friendly than most – they are transparent about the eco materials they use in their products.
Here are some of their environmentally friendly features:
- Organic cotton outer cover
- Inner springs constructed from recycled steel
- Eco-friendly memory foam layer from Future Foam’s Harvest line that uses a natural plant base polyol.
- The coils are tempered/oven baked three times to ensure the durability and longevity of the coils.
- They do not use a chemical based flame retardant. Their flame retardant is a natural plant based thistle made out of wood pulp.
Are Saatva Mattresses 100% Organic?
The mattress is not 100% organic. Their foams are eco-friendly using at least 30% soy or corn oil. The foams are CertiPUR-US certified foams. This means they are:
- Made without ozone depleters
- Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (”Tris”) flame retardants
- Made without mercury, lead, and other heavy metals
- Made without formaldehyde
- Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
What About Off-Gassing?
Off-gassing is the release of particles/gas into the air from products. In some cases, they can be dangerous. Foams, including those used in mattresses, are known for off-gassing.
Saatva says: We do “no” off gassing where we manufacture our products. There is a small amount of off-gassing done at our supplier’s facility where the foam is made. All foams must be stable when they are shipped to our manufacturing partners.
How To Order
Saatva sells their mattresses online only. There are no stores you can go into to test out the mattress before purchase (one of the reasons there is an in-home trial available).
To place an order, you can go to Saatva’s website and decide on a mattress and comfort level and mattress height that is right for you.
If you need help, there are several ways to receive assistance through Saatva’s website:
- Phone call available 24/7 at 1-877-672-2882
- Live Chat via the website
- Email: [email protected]
- Submit a question through their “Contact Us’ page
Shipping And Home Delivery Options
You will pay one charge for shipping and home delivery/set up with your Saatva mattress purchase. So make sure to note that as you’re comparing prices with other mattress companies.
Saatva says their delivery professionals will provide full-service set-up in the room of your choice. They’ll also remove your old mattress (for an additional price) if you choose that option at checkout.
On the website, you can enter your zip code before you order, they can calculate the charge for shipping and delivery as well as the estimated delivery date. The representative told me the price does not vary greatly and the charge is mostly $99.
If you have a narrow staircase and are considering a foundation in addition to your mattress, they recommend ordering the split queen foundation, which has an additional charge of $39.00. There is absolutely no difference in feel between a regular foundation and a split foundation. Split foundations are made for delivery purposes only.
In-Home Trial Period
Saatva is big on customer service, so they refer to their trial period as the “friendliest return policy in the luxury mattress in the luxury mattress market.”
You can try your Saatva mattress in an in-home trial for 120 days. If you’re not happy with the experience, you have the option to return our bed and you must pay for the original delivery charge.
Because Saatva will never restock a mattress, they ask that you double check all the measurements before placing your order to keep waste down. They also ask that if you are unhappy for whatever reason, let them know immediately so the team can help you remedy the situation. They do monitor comments and reviews.
Saatva provides a 15-year non-prorated warranty for their mattress. This means that they will cover you if there are any defects in workmanship and materials found in the mattress.
Here are the details on the warranty:
- For the first 2 years of the non-prorated warranty, Saatva says they will replace your mattress with a brand new one at no charge to you if it’s defective. In years 3-15, the company will completely repair and recover your mattress, but you will pay the $99 transportation cost each way.
- The warranty remains valid if the mattress has been used on a platform bed or if you are using your own foundation/box spring.
- If you are using a bed frame for a King or Queen bed, the warranty will be void if the foundation is not supported by a 5 or 6 legged metal bed frame.
- The whole warranty is only valid to the original purchaser.
- It will be void if the mattress has been abused, burned or damaged.
- Any excessive body impressions beyond 1 1/2″ are covered by the warranty.
If you don’t feel like dealing with explaining to Customer Service why you need your mattress repaired/replaced, Saatva also offers a “Fairness Replacement Option,” in which you keep the original mattress. Then in 3-5 years, they will send you a new mattress at 25% of the original price. This goes on for years 6-10 and 11-15 at different prices.
It is always recommended that you read any mattress warranty in full.
Old mattress removal: If you purchase a new Saatva mattress and do not plan to keep the old one, their delivery team can take your old mattress away from your property for $39.00.
You can tell them you’ll need this service when you purchase your new mattress and set up home delivery. They ask that you please fill in the check box next to “Mattress Removal” on your shopping cart page.
Discounts and Sales: There is no discount for buying more than one mattress. However, there is a $50 military discount is available.
The Saatva Company seems to take a no-nonsense approach to selling mattresses. In addition to having non-commissioned sales associates, the mattresses do not go on sale.
Here is how a Customer Service representative explained it to me on Live Chat: I’m sorry, we do not offer discounts, promotions or sales as part of our business model. We try to do everything counter to our industry that has developed a disgraceful reputation for nonsense, confusion, and phony sales.
Mattress Longevity: Saatva says their mattresses are built to last 10 to 15 years with normal usage.
Weight Limit: The Saatva mattress is designed to hold up to 300 lbs per side.
Saatva is one of the first mattresses I reviewed, and interestingly still remains among my top reviewed mattresses. An advantage of Saatva as well is that they have been around for a number of years, so you have the benefit of additional user reviews to help you make your decision.
- Tremendous value
- Firmness options
- One of few direct to consumer innerspring options