Helix is all about personalization. You actually take a quiz that asks you questions about your body type and sleeping preferences before getting to the checkout.
All Helix mattresses incorporate microcoils, proprietary foam, and polyfoam, but the final product will change based on your answers to the quiz (learn more on that process HERE).
So, my review is based on the mattress designed for me, and your experience may be slightly different.
How did my personalized Helix mattress work for me? Read on for my full review.
You Might Want To Pick The Helix If:
- You Want A Mattress Built For Your Specific Needs– If you are unsure of what kind of mattress you need, Helix will build a mattress that fits your body type and sleeping style.
- You Sleep With A Partner– Helix can customize the mattress to fit two different sleeping styles. Each side will be personalized for you and your partner.
- You Are A Hot Sleeper– The layering can be changed to match your preferences, especially if you sleep hot. The microcoils and Dynamic Foam definitely kept me cool on my Helix mattress.
You May Not Want To Pick The Helix If:
- You Want That Classic Memory Foam Feel– While you can choose your preferences, classic memory foam and latex are not part of the construction. If you want that slow, sinking feeling, you won’t be getting that with your Helix mattress.
- You Want To Customize The Mattress Yourself– The specific construction of your mattress is based on how you respond to the quiz. You will not actually be able to choose exactly how your mattress is put together.
- You Like To Sleep Toward The Edge Of The Bed– The edge support on the Helix isn’t great, so you may feel uncomfortable toward the edge of the mattress.
- The mattress is 10″ tall.
- The first layer is 2” of Helix Dynamic Foam. This is like a combination of memory foam and latex.
- Then you have 2.4” of individually wrapped microcoils. These assist with contouring and motion isolation.
- This is followed by 2” of a polyfoam that helps transition you from the comfort layers down to the support layers of the mattress.
- The base layer is 4” of supportive polyfoam.
- The Helix is Made in the USA.
- The Helix comes in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The ranges and construction will be tweaked to suit your personalized preferences.
- The Dynamic Foam responds quickly so you won’t feel stuck.
- This top layer of foam and microcoils help with heat dissipation and airflow, so you won’t be sleeping hot.
- The thick, comfortable top layer made my Helix ideal for a side sleeper like me.
I prefer medium softness and I sleep on my side. My personalized Helix was very close to what I was expecting. Average firmness is around 6.5 or 7/10 and this was a little softer than average, putting it at a 6/10.
Also, the Dynamic Foam responds very quickly, so I felt nice pressure relief without getting stuck. Lying down on my side, I didn’t feel any pressure on my shoulders or hips.
With its combination of memory foam and microcoils, I expected my Helix to perform well with motion isolation.
Overall, I would say the motion isolation is about average. During my test, there was a little bit of motion transfer as I moved around the cup. This could be a good choice for couples.
With my Helix, I felt the mattress collapse as I neared the edge. Overall, the edge support isn’t that great with this mattress.
If you want to utilize the full surface area of the mattress, this might not be the best choice for you.
You can see the edge support in the photo below.
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out
- Your Helix will be fully personalized to fit your specific sleeping style.
- If you sleep with a partner, you can each customize your side of the mattress.
- With all Helix mattresses, the combination of foam and microcoils gives support while still relieving pressure.
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Helix is a bed in a box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to you. You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Helix from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut the away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Helix will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
Helix did a nice job of customizing the mattress to fit my specific needs. I am a side sleeper who prefers a medium firm mattress, and my Helix matched those preferences well. If you are looking for a personalized mattress, the Helix could be a great choice for you.
However, if you really prefer classic memory foam or latex, you won’t get that with the Helix. Regardless of how your Helix mattress is customized, those will not be included in the construction.
Helix offers a 100 Night Sleep Trial as well as a 10 Year Warranty.