If you are looking for a mattress with options, it’s time to check out the Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress. You can choose from four firmnesses: 8”, 10”, 12”, and 14.”
This lets you pick the mattress that best fits your sleeping preferences. I received the 12”, the company’s second-softest model.
I have reviewed one of their mattresses before, and I was impressed by the comfort and value. So I was excited to try out the Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress.
Will you save money and sleep well on the Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress? Read on for my full review.
Note: Zinus offers many different mattress models. We received the Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress to review. They have four firmness options, and we reviewed the 12″ model.
You Might Like The Zinus Mattress If …
- You are looking for a couples mattress. The Zinus has a thick layer of memory foam on top. This material does a great job of isolating motion, so you shouldn’t feel your partner’s movements on your side of the bed.
- You want a value mattress. Considering how comfortable the mattress is, the Zinus is very affordably priced. While it might not be the longest-lasting mattress, it is a very good deal for a nice memory foam mattress.
- You are a side sleeper. The 12” Zinus model is a great match if you sleep on your side. It features good pressure relief, and it is very comfortable overall. You should sink into the memory foam and feel little pressure on your shoulders and hips.
- You are looking for options. Zinus offers four firmness options: an 8”, 10”, 12”, and 14” mattress. Each mattress has a different firmness, so you should be able to find the right fit for you. I tried the 12”, which is ideal for side sleepers. However, if you want more support, you could look at the 8” or 10” models.
You Might Not Like The Zinus Mattress If …
- You are looking for a long-term investment. The Zinus is not constructed with very durable materials. While the mattress is very affordable, it might not last for a very long time. If you want a longer-lasting mattress, consider something with higher-density foams and possibly coils.
- You are a heavier person. If you are a larger person, the Zinus might not give you the support you need. It is an all-foam mattress without coils or other supportive features. Heavier people should think about a hybrid or innerspring mattress.
- You don’t like a classic memory foam feel. When you lie on the Zinus mattress, you slowly sink into the mattress. It really has that quicksandy, memory foam feel. If you don’t like the feeling of slow-reacting foam, you might want to look elsewhere.
Zinus Construction Overview
- The cover is soft and thin.
- The mattress is 12” tall.
- The top layer is 3” of gel memory foam.
- Next, there is a 2” transition layer.
- This is followed by a 3.5” layer of high-density foam.
- Finally, there are 3.5” of a high-density base support foam.
Zinus Mattress Construction Takeaways
- There are four firmness options: the 8”, 10”, 12, and 14”. All the mattresses are available in Twin, Full, Queen, and King. The 12” and 14” are also available in California King.
- The base foam layers are convoluted, so they have air channels cut into them. This allows for air to flow through the mattress. The top layer is infused with gel, which also helps with cooling. Altogether, you shouldn’t be sleeping too hot on the Zinus.
- Adding together the top layer of gel memory foam and the transition layer, there is about 5” of comfort material. This means you will sink pretty far into the mattress.
- The gel memory foam is slow to respond. If you push into it, it will take a few moments for it to fill out again. The mattress really has that classic memory foam feel.
Zinus Firmness and Feel
It is worth noting that each version of this Zinus mattress is going to have a different firmness. Looking specifically at the 12” model, the firmness is close to a 6/10.
With this model, you get 3” of gel memory foam on top followed by a transition layer. You really get to sink into the mattress, so the Zinus feels softer than average.
This was my experience on the Zinus:
- While lying on my back, I feel decent support. The memory foam conforms to the shape of my body, and I don’t feel my hips sink in too far. However, I will say that heavier back sleepers might prefer the 8” or 10” models.
- While side sleeping, I feel great pressure relief. Again, there are about 5” of comfort layer, so I really sink into the mattress and feel the pressure on my shoulders and hips melt away. This model is really a great fit for side sleepers. If you want even more pressure relief, the 14” is worth considering.
- When I am sleeping on my stomach, the mattress is too soft for me. I am not getting the support that I need, and my hips are bowing in somewhat. Stomach sleepers might want to look at one of the firmer models.
This mattress has that classic memory foam feel. While it feels a bit firm at first, the mattress slowly responds to my weight and lets me sink in. There is no real bounce, so it is a bit difficult to move around on the mattress.
When it comes to handling motion transfer, memory foam is really one of the best materials. Because of this, I was not surprised by how well the Zinus mattress performed during my tests.
I placed a glass of water on the mattress and pressed into the surrounding area. The water was barely disturbed. Also, when Marten moved around on the other side of the bed, I could not really feel his movements.
If you sleep with a partner, you shouldn’t feel them moving around at night. The Zinus should be a great mattress for couples.
While memory foam is great with motion transfer, it doesn’t always have the best edge support. After lying down and sitting down near the edge of the Zinus, I can say this is true for this mattress.
When I’m sitting down on the edge, the mattress collapses quite a bit, and I don’t feel very secure. Also, when I am lying down, I feel a bit like I might roll off the mattress.
Overall, the edge support is not great on the Zinus.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about the mattress:
In terms of firmness, Joe said it was a 6/10, while I thought it was closer to a 7/10.
I think that’s because, as a larger person, I’m pressing further into the top foam layer and feeling more firmness than Joe did.
Starting on my back, the mattress is a little too soft for me. It’s not supportive enough, and my hips are sinking in a little too far. I am feeling some support on my lumbar area, but overall, I am sinking into the mattress.
On my side, I feel a little pressure on my shoulders and hips. It’s not too much but, if you are larger than me, you could feel even more pressure.
When I move to my stomach, the mattress is not supportive enough. I’m bowing in at the hips and feeling myself get out of alignment.
If you are a heavier back sleeper, and you are a little lighter than me, this could work for you. If you are heavier than me, look for a firmer option. If you are a heavier side sleeper, it could be a good option. If you are a heavier stomach sleeper, definitely look for something firmer.
Marten’s experience is not very surprising. Like me, he thought the mattress was too soft for stomach sleeping. Also, as a larger person, he could have used a bit more support on his back and pressure relief on his side. People of Marten’s size or larger should look at one of the firmer models.
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Zinus is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to you. You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Zinus mattress from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Zinus will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
What Makes The Zinus Mattress Stand Out?
- There are many firmness options to choose from. You should be able to find the right firmness for you.
- It is a very affordable mattress that is also very comfortable.
- The 12” model should be a great option for side sleepers.
- The Zinus has that classic memory foam feel where you slowly sink into the mattress.
- The memory foam cuts down on motion transfer, so you shouldn’t feel your partner moving around at night. It is a great mattress for couples.
If you are looking for a comfortable memory foam mattress, and you want to save some money, the Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress could be a great choice for you. However, those who want a long-term investment and/or prefer to sleep on top of their mattress should look elsewhere.
The mattress comes with free shipping and returns, a 100-night trial, and a 10-year limited warranty.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Mattress Review – Flippable Support? - September 19, 2019
- Tuft & Needle Vs Mint – Which Mattress Is Right For You? - September 4, 2019
- WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - August 19, 2019