If you worry about sleeping hot or want a green, eco-friendly mattress, then a natural latex hybrid is always a good option. However, these mattresses are not one size fits all.
I’ve reviewed many latex hybrid mattresses, so I was very excited to try out the Awara mattress for myself. It features natural Dunlop latex as well as pocketed coils.
I was interested to see how it compared to other latex hybrids. Is this the right latex hybrid for you? Read on for my full review.
The Awara is a firmer latex hybrid mattress that could be a good pick for back and stomach sleepers.
You Might Want To Pick The Awara If …
- You are a hot sleeper. If you often overheat while you sleep, the Awara could be a good pick. The coils promote airflow throughout the mattress, and the other layers are also quite breathable. All in all, the Awara addresses many of the causes of sleeping hot.
- You are a heavier person or need extra support. The Awara is a very firm mattress and offers a good amount of support. The coils and latex should be able to support even heavier weights. If you are larger or need more support for any other reason, the Awara could work for you.
- You are looking for a long-term investment. The Awara contains durable materials such as natural latex and high-grade coils. These should be able to stand up to years of use, so this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
- You are a stomach or back sleeper. The Awara is a firmer, more supportive mattress. Stomach sleepers shouldn’t have to worry about their hips sinking too far into the mattress. Also, back sleepers of many sizes should get the support they need.
You Might Not Want To Pick The Awara If …
- You don’t want a firm mattress. If you prefer a medium-firm or softer mattress, the Awara might not be the best choice. It is definitely firmer than average. If you want a mattress with some more give and pressure relief, I would look elsewhere.
- You are a lightweight sleeper. If you are on the lighter side, the Awara might feel too firm for you. You might not be heavy enough to press into the top layers, so the Awara will feel firmer to you. Lightweight sleepers may need something softer.
- You prefer a mattress without much bounce. The Awara contains natural latex, so there is some bounce to this mattress. You sleep more on top of the mattress (rather than “in” it), which makes it is easy to move around. But if you prefer to sink into your mattress, the Awara might not work for you.
- You are a side sleeper. If you sleep primarily on your side, the Awara might be too firm for you. While lying on your side, you could feel some pressure on your shoulders and hips. This is a firmer mattress, so side sleepers should probably look for something softer.
- The Awara is 13” tall.
- The cover is soft and tufted.
- The first layer is 4” of natural Dunlop latex.
- Then you have 9” of pocketed coils.
RELATED: Best Latex Mattresses
- The latex is very bouncy and responds very quickly. This means it should be easy to move around on the mattress.
- The latex is also very firm. It is difficult to push my hand into the mattress.
- The pocketed coils and latex help create a very supportive mattress. The Awara should be able to support even heavier weights.
- The Awara should be a breathable mattress. The coils allow for a good amount of airflow, and the latex is also very breathable.
- The latex makes this an all-natural mattress. It does not contain certain harmful chemicals as some mattresses do.
The Awara is a firmer latex hybrid mattress that could be a good pick for back and stomach sleepers.
What Sets The Awara Apart From Other Latex Hybrids?
If you’re in the market for a natural latex hybrid, why should you choose the Awara? What makes it stand out from other latex hybrid mattresses?
First, this is perhaps the firmest latex hybrid I have encountered. The high-grade coils and firmer Dunlop latex make it difficult to press into the mattress too far.
Second, this could be a good option for larger stomach and back sleepers or those who just need extra support. Because it’s so firm, the Awara is also a very supportive mattress. No matter your weight, the Awara should be able to support you.
Firmness And Feel
In terms of firmness, the Awara felt close to an 8/10, or firmer than average. People who are lighter than me might find the mattress to feel even firmer. They may not press into the top latex layer and could feel some more firmness.
This was my experience on the Awara mattress:
- While lying on my back, the Awara is definitely supportive enough for me. I feel the coils and latex holding me up. At the same time, the mattress does not allow my hips to sink in too far. I would say the Awara is a decent option for back sleepers.
- Moving to my side, the Awara is too firm for me. I am feeling some firmness on my shoulders and hips. Again, this is a firmer-than-average mattress. Side sleepers will want to look for something softer.
- Finally, when I am stomach sleeping, the Awara is a great match for me. Firmer mattresses are usually a great fit for stomach sleeping, and the Awara is no exception. I feel great support on my hips, and I don’t bow into the mattress whatsoever.
The Awara has a bouncy feel. The latex responds quickly, so it is very easy to move around on the mattress. All in all, it feels more like I am sleeping on top of the mattress.
If you are looking for a mattress for you and your partner, you will want to know how well the mattress handles motion transfer. Will you be feeling your partner’s movements on your side of the bed?
I placed a glass of water on the mattress and pressed into the surrounding area. The water was clearly disturbed. Also, when Marten moved around on one side of the mattress, I felt his movements over on my side.
While I think the Awara could be a decent option for couples, the results of my tests are worth noting.
If you are looking for a mattress for couples, you also want to know how much of the mattress you can utilize. Can you sit or lie down near the edge of the mattress, or will you feel like you are going to fall off?
When I sit down near the edge of the Awara, the mattress does not collapse too much. I feel the coils and latex holding me up, and I feel very secure. Also, while lying down near the edge, I don’t feel like I am going to roll off the mattress.
The Awara has good edge support, which you can see in the photo below.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about the mattress:
Joe said it was an 8/10 in terms of firmness and I agreed.
When I am on my back, I feel good overall support. However, it is a little bit too firm for me, and I wish my hips could sink in more.
When I move to my side, the Awara is definitely too firm for me. I am feeling some serious firmness on my shoulders and hips.
When I move to my stomach, I feel very well supported, and my hips are not sinking in whatsoever. I feel like my spine is well aligned.
In my experience, the Awara is a great match for stomach sleepers and an okay match for back sleepers. Side sleepers should probably look elsewhere.
Even as a larger person, Marten felt like the Awara was an 8/10. As I thought, the Awara was supportive enough for heavier weights. He has no support issues when he is back and stomach sleeping. Larger sleepers should definitely take a look at the Awara (unless you sleep primarily on your side).
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Awara is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to you.
You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Awara mattress from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Awara will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
What Makes The Awara Stand Out?
- It is a firm, very supportive mattress. The Awara should be a great choice for heavier sleepers or those who just need some extra support.
- The Awara should be a good option for back and stomach sleepers. The latex and coils offer a good amount of support.
- This could be a good mattress for hot sleepers. The coils allow for airflow and the latex is naturally cooling.
- The latex and high-grade coils are both very durable. This means the Awara should be a good long-term investment.
- The Awara is a bouncy mattress that responds quickly to pressure. It should be very easy to move around on the mattress.
- This natural latex hybrid is a good choice for those who want to avoid potentially harmful chemicals in their mattress.
In the end, the Awara should work for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and those who prefer a firmer mattress. However, side sleepers and some lightweight sleepers might think the mattress is too firm.
The Awara comes with a 365-day sleep trial and Forever Warranty, as well as free shipping and returns. Financing is also available.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019
- Zinus Vs AmazonBasics Comparison – Which Online Mattress Wins Out? - November 11, 2019
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - November 8, 2019