NECTAR’s mattress is a good option if you want a memory foam based mattress at an affordable price.
It has four foam layers – including two gel memory foam layers – and cooling technology built into the cover. It has a pillow-top like feel for comfort and body contouring but its high-density foam base layer keeps you supported.
While it may not have been the absolute best mattress I’ve ever slept on, I did find NECTAR to be quite comfortable. Big bonus: you get 365 nights to try it out and a warranty that covers manufacturing defects that last forever. Be aware of back ordering as other customers had issues receiving their mattresses at times. Read on for my full review. Note: please note that the company is currently experiencing some delays in shipping time.
The NECTAR mattress was designed in America but is made in China. It’s made up of four foam layers plus a cover for a total mattress profile of 11”. Here is a breakdown of each layer and the mattress cover.
- Tencel Cooling Cover: NECTAR’s cover fabric is made with long staple cotton and Tencel fabric for maximum breathability. The fabric is bed bug resistant and is OEKO-TEX® Standard 100, Class 1 certified. OEKO-TEX® is a well-known independent environmental testing and certification system that works to make sure harmful substances stay out of textiles.
- Quilted Gel Memory Foam: The first gel memory foam layer under the cover is about 1” and is intended to provide extra loft, comfort, and enhanced breathability.
- Gel Memory Foam: This 1” thick gel memory foam layer is said to directly absorb heat and re-distribute. It is described as a “semi-open LUSH foam” that is typically manufactured for medical devices, according to NECTAR.
- Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam: NECTAR says that no other direct-to-consumer brand makes mattresses with Hi Core Adaptive foam as it is heavy and expensive to ship. It is 3” of premium adaptive foam that is supposed to be the best for contouring a mattress to your pressure points (while providing rebound and bounce).
- Breathable Base Layer: The base layer has a density rating of 2.2 lbs., which is definitely very high. While NECTAR doesn’t say it, I think the base layer is close to 6” (for a total of 11” of height). It is designed to draw fresh air in through special channels and is a denser base compared to other mattress base layers, according to the brand.
Sizes & Dimensions
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11”||45lbs|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||48lbs|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||68lbs|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||74lbs|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||89lbs|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 11”||89lbs|
You Might Want To Pick The NECTAR Mattress If:
- You prioritize sleeping cool. NECTAR designed their mattress with breathability in mind. The cover fabric is cooling and designed to draw heat away from you. The gel memory foam layers are also made to breathe and draw heat away.
- You are a side sleeper. Several other reviewers commented that they slept well on their sides. The combination of foam layers may provide pressure relief in areas that favor side sleeping.
- You don’t want to change your bed. Some new mattress requires specific types of bed frames or box springs but NECTAR works with all types of beds, including:
- Box Spring
- Divan Bases
- Traditional Frames
- Adjustable Bases
- Platform or Floor
You Might Not Want To Get This Mattress If:
- You like innerspring mattresses. NECTAR’s mattress is all foam. While it has a little bounce it will not have the same feel as a traditional innerspring mattress.
- You want a firmer mattress. NECTAR says their mattress is middle of the road when it comes to firmness but with any memory foam mattress, you will sink into the bed slightly. Those who are used to more traditional firmer mattresses may find this too soft.
- You aren’t willing to wait for your mattress. The NECTAR mattress is on back order at the moment and based on reviews from earlier this year, they seem to have had issues meeting demand. Quite a few customers purchased a mattress and either had their order date pushed back or cancelled. Experiences with customer service seem to trend towards the negative as well (at least from reviews found outside of the NECTAR website).
NECTAR says that their mattress provides you with support but the comfort of a pillow top. With this reasoning in mind, they’ve labeled their mattress as “medium firm.”
With its memory foam layers, the bed is really intended to contour to your body and relieve pressure. This means you will sink into the mattress – slightly – and it will be less firm than a traditional innerspring mattress or a more responsive type of foam.
You can see in the video that NECTAR does a pretty good job in terms of motion transfer and limiting movement. It could work well for couples, but you should expect to feel something when your partner moves/gets out of bed.
In-Home Trial and Warranty and Certifications
Trial: NECTAR offers a 365 Night Home Trial, which means that you can sleep on the mattress for a year and still return it if it does not meet your expectations.
Warranty: NECTAR has a “Forever Warranty” available to you. Simply put, they guarantee that there are no issues with workmanship and materials for as long as you have the mattress.
For the first five years of ownership, NECTAR will replace your mattress with a new one at no charge to you. After five years, they will repair and/or recover your mattress, but you must pay a $50 transportation cost/fee each way (which will be waived if there are manufacturing issues with it).
There are additional features and details of the warranty that are worth reading in full on NECTAR’s website.
Certifications: NECTAR uses foams that are CertiPUR-US® approved. According to NECTAR, this means they are made without: ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They are Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out
- Customers seemed to gravitate towards the 365-night in-home trial and NECTAR’s “forever” warranty. Choosing this mattress seems to involve slightly less risk which could be making it even more popular.
- You can also remove the mattress cover and machine/wash or dry it or Dry Clean it. This is a nice option, especially for those who don’t want to consider a mattress protector.
NECTAR has thoughtfully designed a memory foam mattress that contours to your body to allow you to sleep in a variety of positions while staying cool all night.
People seemed to have had trouble getting their mattress on time – or at all- and customer service seems to been questionable as well based on many reviews. Once people got their mattress, they seemed pretty pleased with the product.
The NECTAR mattress is on par with other online foam mattresses available. At full price ($795 for a Queen) it is slightly more affordable than foam mattresses from Casper or Bear.