There are a few reasons people might be considering a duvet cover: they could want to make it much easier to keep their bedding clean or they might just like to switch up the look of their bedroom often.
Whatever the reason, we have tracked down the best duvet covers currently on the market; there are a lot of options out there, so it did take some serious effort! We considered dozens of options, and came up with a list of our top eight.
These eight duvet covers have a variety of feels, looks, designs and prices. Read on to find the best duvet cover!
Our Top Picks for the Best Duvet Covers
- Luxome – Best Duvet Cover for Hot Sleepers
- Brooklinen – Best Lightweight Duvet Cover
- Cozy Earth – Best Luxury Duvet Cover
- Eucalypso – Best Tencel Duvet Cover
- Birch – Best Cotton Duvet Cover
- Nest – Best Soft Duvet Cover
- Parachute – Best Sateen Duvet Cover
Best for Hot Sleepers: Luxome
LUXOME 37.5 Cotton Duvet Cover
The LUXOME comforter comes in two different fabrics, cotton or bamboo. If you opt for the crisp cotton cover, it'll be infused with 37.5 active particle technology which will keep you cool while you use it.
Our Expert’s Take
Comforters and duvet inserts, by nature, will add some extra warmth to your sleep. But if you run exceptionally hot, the Luxome duvet cover is a great place to start. Right off the bat, you have two cooling options to pick from: a cotton cover with something unique called 37.5 technology or a bamboo option.
I tested the 37.5 cover, so that’s what I’ll be focusing on here. Because of the cotton, this comforter feels quite crisp, but still soft as well. But the cotton has been blended with 37.5 polyester, which is a material that can detect when you’re overheating. This means that the cover will dissipate heat when you start to overheat, but it’ll keep you cozy when it’s cold outside.
This duvet cover works best with the 37.5 technology that’s also found in the Luxome ClimaSense comforter, but it can work well with any comforter or duvet insert.
What We Love About the Luxome Duvet Cover
- Whether you get the cotton or bamboo version of this cover, it’s designed for cooling and won’t trap heat. The cotton has 37.5 particle technology which dissipates heat, and bamboo is moisture-wicking and breathable.
- For fans of cotton, this duvet cover will have that classic, crisp cotton feel to it. But it’ll still be very soft to the touch and should feel gentle on your skin.
- Both the bamboo and cotton versions are machine washable for easy care.
What to Keep in Mind about the Luxome Duvet Cover
- There are limited color options. The cotton version only has black or white, while the bamboo has five options, two of which are also black and white. This could be something to consider if you’re looking for color variety.
- Both versions of the cover come with luxury price tags. Though the materials are high-quality and durable, they might not be the best choice for those shopping on a budget.
Best Lightweight: Brooklinen
Brooklinen Classic Duvet Cover
The Brooklinen Classic Duvet Cover is made with percale and should be a great option for hot sleepers.
Mattress Clarity Score
4.60 / 5Read Full Review
Our Expert’s Take
Fabrics with a percale weave look and feel quite different from the sateen weave; while sateen is silky, smooth, and thick, percale is crisp and very lightweight. The best way to describe this crisp, lightweight texture is to think of a freshly pressed shirt. So, if that’s what you want in your duvet cover, the Brooklinen Classic duvet cover is for you.
Being thinner, percale duvet covers are more breathable than sateen duvet covers; this makes them a better option for hot sleepers who don’t want to wake up hot and sweaty. Pairing the Brooklinen with a lighter duvet insert or comforter should make for a very cool night of sleep.
The Brooklinen duvet cover also features 100% long-staple cotton, a very durable material. This, in combination with the durability of the percale weave, means that this duvet cover will last you at least two years.
What We Love About the Brooklinen Classic Duvet Cover
- Brooklinen sells duvet covers in all its main sheet options: Classic, Luxe and Linen. But for those who want something more lightweight, crisp and breathable, the Classic is the best choice.
- Brooklinen offers black, white and black and white design options. However the company also offers limited edition color and design options for those who are looking for a splash of color or want some fun with a design.
- Because it’s so lightweight, it shouldn’t trap too much heat. It has a lower thread count of 270 to allow for airflow, and cotton is naturally breathable as well.
What to Keep in Mind about the Brooklinen Classic Duvet Cover
- The Classic option for all of Brooklinen’s sheet and bedding sets is very crisp. It uses a percale weave, which leaves it feeling like a fresh pressed shirt. If you’d prefer something smoother or softer, look at the Luxe duvet cover.
Best Luxury: Cozy Earth
Cozy Earth Bamboo Duvet Cover
The Cozy Earth Bamboo duvet cover is an excellent luxury and cooling option.
Mattress Clarity Score
5.00 / 5
Our Expert’s Take
Bamboo is one of the best bedding materials out there because it’s not only soft, but incredibly cooling. And thanks to its soft, silky feel, it really sells the luxury experience, too. That’s why I named the Cozy Earth Bamboo duvet cover as our best luxury option. Even Oprah endorsed the brand’s sheets as some of her favorites.
Cozy Earth makes an excellent luxury duvet cover, and it’s made out of viscose that’s derived from bamboo. The company as a whole places a huge emphasis on the way this duvet cover was manufactured—in particular ensuring a safe and ethical production process. So, you can be confident in how much thought was put into the bedding.
This cover comes in seven different colors, most of them neutral. They should bring an elegant, smooth look to any bed. Luckily, you have 100 nights to decide if it’s the right bedding for you.
What We Love About the Cozy Earth Bamboo Duvet Cover
- Bamboo viscose feels incredibly luxurious and silk-like. It really sells the luxury bedding experience this way.
- Hot sleepers should enjoy a bamboo duvet cover. That’s because bamboo is both breathable and moisture-wicking. So, it allows for airflow and keeps you dry as well.
- Cozy Earth currently offers this duvet cover in seven neutral shades. This is good for those who want a bit of color variety or a splash of color for their bedding.
What to Keep in Mind about Cozy Earth Bamboo Duvet Cover
- This is our “best luxury” option, and with that comes a luxury price tag. If you’re shopping on a budget, you may want to look elsewhere. But if you want to splurge, Cozy Earth does offer financing options.
- If you’ve never used bamboo bedding before, this duvet cover might feel more slick than something like polyester or cotton. This means it might be harder to keep in place, or it might slip off a bit easier than other materials.
Eucalypso: Best Tencel
Eucalypso Duvet Cover
The Eucalypso Tencel Duvet Cover feels luxurious and soft--and it's available in many beautiful colors!
Our Expert’s Take
Thanks to Eucalypso’s proprietary DreamWeave™ Technology, the duvet cover feels particularly soft and silky. You’ll feel like you’re snuggled up in five-star silk bedding, but without paying the hefty price tag.
Best of all, Eucalypso products are made from sustainably-sourced materials. The Heavenly duvet cover contains 100% TENCEL™ Lyocell, a cooling fabric that’s great for people with sensitive skin.
What We Love About the Eucalypso Duvet Cover
- TENCEL™ is very soft and satin-like to the touch. This duvet cover will add a level of luxury to your duvet insert or comforter.
- If you’re a hot sleeper, this duvet cover can add an element of cooling to your comforter or duvet insert. TENCEL™ is cool to the touch, breathable and moisture-wicking, so you shouldn’t feel hot and sweaty under this cover.
- Eucalypso uses real TENCEL™ lyocell, a fabric derived from eucalyptus. The fabric is sourced in an ethical and sustainable way for those who are looking for something kind to the earth.
What to Keep in Mind about Eucalypso Duvet Cover
- Similarly to bamboo, if you’ve never used TENCEL™ fabric before, this will have a much different feel than polyester or cotton. It’ll feel smooth and soft, but you might find it to be slick and it could potentially slip off during the night.
- Currently, Eucalypso only offers this duvet cover in full/queen and king/California king sizes.
Best Cotton: Birch
Birch Organic White Duvet Cover Set
For those who want a soft, buttery cotton duvet cover, that also happens to be eco-friendly and organic, the Birch duvet cover ifs for you.
Our Expert’s Take
There are plenty of cotton duvet covers out on the market, but a standout amongst these is the Birch. The cotton that Birch uses for its duvet cover is certified organic and woven into a luxurious sateen weave.
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certification is considered the gold standard for organic materials. This means that the cotton used in this cover is grown in an ethical, sustainable and environmentally safe way. So if you’re also on the hunt for an eco-friendly, organic duvet cover, this is a great option.
Birch uses a sateen weave for this duvet cover. I thought this felt very similarly to the Birch cotton sheets, which meant that it felt soft, smooth and almost like butter in sheet form. Though the sateen weave is not as breathable as the percale weave, I didn’t notice this duvet cover trapping much additional heat, thanks to cotton’s own natural breathability.
What We Love About the Birch Duvet Cover
- Birch is a company that’s dedicated to using eco-friendly materials. The cotton used in this duvet cover is GOTS-certified, which is the gold standard for organic textile certifications.
- The cotton is woven into a sateen weave. This offers a really soft, satin-like feel to the duvet cover.
- This duvet cover is completely machine-washable. This is great for those who are looking for a duvet cover with easy care in mind.
What to Keep in Mind about Birch Duvet Cover
- Birch only offers the duvet cover in white or beige, which is something to consider for those who are looking for a duvet cover to add some color.
- If you are wanting to protect a twin or twin XL comforter or duvet insert, Birch only offers this duvet cover in full/queen or king/California king sizes.
Best Soft: Nest
Nest Bedding Bamboo Duvet Cover
If you want bold colors or a soft, bamboo rayon feel to your comforter, you should check out the Nest Bedding Duvet cover! It also comes with two pillow shams to complete the set.
Our Expert’s Take
Personally, I love using bamboo bedding because of how soft and silky it feels. And that’s exactly what I got in the Nest Bedding duvet cover. The rayon fabric, derived from bamboo, has that classic soft, silk-like feel to it. Hot sleepers should also enjoy the addition of a bamboo duvet cover because it’ll offer some breathability and moisture-wicking protection.
Nest offers the bamboo duvet cover in five colors, with one being white. But I was really impressed with the color selection because they are quite bold instead of the typical neutral shades or muted colors I’ve seen from other brands. This duvet cover is also machine-washable, which is a great perk for those who want easy care.
What We Love About the Nest Bamboo Duvet Cover
- Bamboo is incredibly soft and silk-like. If your comforter might be too rough or a bit too crisp, adding this cover will make it feel much softer.
- Bamboo is temperature regulating. It is breathable and moisture-wicking, which means you shouldn’t feel hot and sweaty with this duvet cover.
- Nest uses bamboo rayon for this duvet set, but the company does sell it in two additional cotton options as well.
What to Keep in Mind about Nest Bamboo Duvet Cover
- Though Nest will discount its items throughout the year, the full retail price for this duvet cover is about $160. If you’re shopping on a budget, this is something to keep in mind.
Best Sateen: Parachute
Parachute Sateen Duvet Cover
The Parachute sateen duvet cover has a soft and silky feel without the sheen one finds with other sateen duvet covers.
Mattress Clarity Score
4.60 / 5Read Full Review
Our Expert’s Take
Sateen duvet covers are usually a fantastic option for those who like something soft and smooth. The sateen weave is a thicker type of weave that gives the fabric a satin-like feel. If you’re looking for this luxurious feel, consider Parachute, my favorite sateen duvet cover.
While a great deal of sateen duvet covers have a noticeable sheen to them, that is not the case with the Parachute; the company refers to it as a “matte sateen” that is not shiny.
The Parachute duvet cover contains long-staple, 100% Egyptian cotton, a material that is both soft and durable. In addition, the Parachute is made to get softer after each time it is washed and dried. Having washed it a few times myself, I can report that this is indeed true!
Sateen duvet covers are classically thicker and more insulating than duvet covers with a percale weave. The Parachute is no different and adds snug warmth to any duvet insert or comforter.
What We Love About the Parachute Duvet Cover
- The sateen weave used for this duvet cover makes it feel incredibly soft and satin-like. It won’t be very crisp like other cotton bedding products.
- Parachute uses Egyptian cotton that is grown without harmful chemicals, making it safe and eco-friendly. The cotton is also long-staple cotton, meaning it is very durable.
- Parachute offers this duvet cover in six muted shades. This could be good for those who are looking for a subtle look or aesthetic in their bedroom.
What to Keep in Mind about Parachute Duvet Cover
- While this duvet cover uses durable, long-staple cotton and should last a while, the price tag could be out of some people’s budget.
What To Consider When Buying A Duvet Cover
As with any piece of bedding, it is important to think about what the duvet cover is going to feel like. Those who like a soft, silky feel might want to consider something with sateen; for those who want something with a crisp, linen feel, percale might be a better option. People who want something more natural should look at something with linen.
Look and Options
Another thing to consider is what look you’re after; for those who want something with a sheen, sateen might be a good option. Or, if you want a printed design or specific color, how many options are there to choose from? Some companies only have a few to choose from while others have a wide selection.
You’ll want to consider how much air is going to move through the duvet cover. While some fabrics, like sateen, feel nice, they are not as breathable; other fabrics, like percale, are thinner and let more air pass through. It is true that the duvet insert plays a big part in how hot a sleeper will feel, but without a breathable duvet cover, they might be sleeping even hotter.
Cleaning and Durability
A major benefit of using a duvet cover is the ease of cleaning; instead of having to wash a whole comforter or heavier blanket, one can peel off the duvet cover and wash it at home. While this is very convenient, it is important to think about how well the duvet cover will stand up to many wash cycles—will it start to fray and fade or remain intact, and is it a durable piece of bedding or not? To know if a duvet cover is going to last for some time, consider the materials used. If it has long-staple cotton, it should be more durable—materials like microfiber, while much more affordable, may not last as long.
What’s the Difference Between a Duvet and a Comforter?
A duvet is a loose, flat bag filled with natural or synthetic down or other material. Duvets are made to fit inside of a duvet cover, similarly to how a pillow is made to fit in a pillowcase.
Comforters are similar to duvets. They’re bedspreads filled with natural or synthetic down or other material and typically feature a quilted pattern sewn across it to help keep the filling evenly distributed. Comforters are slept on as is and don’t need to go inside a cover.
Still confused? Check out our article on duvets vs comforters!
|Best Duvet Cover For Hot Sleepers
|Best Lightweight Duvet Cover
|Best Luxury Duvet Cover
|Best Tencel Duvet Cover
|Best Cotton Duvet Cover
|Best Soft Duvet Cover
|Best Sateen Duvet Cover
The Best Duvet Covers FAQs
What is a duvet cover used for?
A duvet cover can be used for a few things; first off, it can simplify the cleaning and maintenance of one’s bedding. Cleaning a duvet cover is much easier than cleaning a fluffy comforter; the majority of duvet covers can be easily thrown in the washer and dryer at home, while many comforters require a dry cleaner. Second, duvet covers can be used to change the style and look of one’s bed and bedroom; if someone wants to adjust the color scheme of their bedroom, it is a simple task to switch out one’s current duvet cover.
What is the difference between a comforter and duvet cover?
While the terms “comforter” and “duvet” are often used interchangeably, they really are different. A comforter is one piece of bedding that can be used by itself, and a duvet requires two pieces – a duvet insert and duvet cover. A duvet cover can be taken off the insert and washed; being one piece, a comforter must be washed, and that is more difficult. It does get confusing because a comforter can be used as a duvet insert; it is just important that bedding shoppers know what they are getting.
Can a duvet cover be used on a comforter?
The short answer is yes! A comforter can be used as a duvet insert, and a duvet cover will easily slip over most comforters. What’s more, many comforters feature duvet tabs at their corners so that they might be secured within a duvet cover.
Do you really need a duvet cover?
It really depends on what someone prefers in regard to bedding; those who want something easier to clean should consider a duvet cover. Also, those who like to constantly adjust the look of their bedroom might like a duvet cover. It is true that no one really needs a duvet cover, but it can be a great addition to any bedroom.