The Eight mattress is an innovative new concept that allows you to track your sleeping habits better than you probably ever thought possible. While the technology seemed really cool, I wanted to see how the mattress itself felt too to make sure people would have a good experience with it (see how it compares HERE).
- The cover is made of polyester. It is thin and no frills, but it gets the job done.
- The top layer of the mattress is 2 inches of something called “reactive” foam. It’s a specialty polyfoam that is high density and is resilient and breathable like latex. This makes the mattress easy to move around and you get nice pressure relief without the feeling of getting stuck.
- The second layer is 2 inches of memory foam. This helps the mattress contour to your body and provides extra pressure relief.
- The third layer is 2 inches of transition foam.
- The bottom layer is 4 inches of support foam. It is high density and a good material.
You Might Want To Pick The Eight Mattress If:
- You Want The Most Advanced Sleep Tracking Technology Possible– There is no question that Eight provides the most advanced technology for sleep tracking on the market. If you want to know exactly how you are sleeping, how many times you tossed and turned, how you were breathing during sleep, how deep your sleep was, etc., this is the mattress for you.
- You Sleep In Multiple Positions Throughout The Night– This mattress has a neutral firmness in my opinion. That means it’s not overly good for just one sleeping position over the others. It’s a pretty good fit for people in any position.
- You Want Pressure Relief WIthout The Feeling Of Getting Stuck– This mattress does a good job with pressure relief and at the same time the feel is pretty responsive. That makes it easier to move around and you won’t feel you slowly sink into the mattress and get stuck, which can happen with some memory foam mattresses. Overall, it’s a nice balanced feel that you get.
- You Want Great Value– Currently, for just the mattress, a Queen is $850. However, they typically have a discount available of up to 20%. The mattress has high-quality foams that should be pretty durable. Given that, you can really get a great value from this mattress.
You Might Not Want To Pick The Eight Mattress If:
- You Like Slow-Moving Memory Foam– If you are used to more standard memory foam mattresses where you slowly sink into the mattress and it envelops you, that’s not really what you get here. In that case, you may want to look elsewhere.
- You Prefer Traditional Innerspring Mattresses– This mattress definitely has a distinct foam feel to it. It feels different from a spring mattress. If you want more of a traditional spring feel, you should look elsewhere.
- Sleep Tracking Is Not On Your Radar– Some people sleep pretty well and getting a sleep tracker isn’t really necessary. The Eight sleep tracker is very advanced, so I think if you already sleep well, then you probably don’t need to get this.
Note Regarding The Feel Of The Mattress With The Sleep Tracker
I’m a big fan of the feel of the mattress. I slept on it without the sleep tracker for several nights to get a good feel for it on its own, and I really enjoyed it. I would note that when you put the sleep tracker on the mattress, it changes the feel of the mattress a bit. To me, it’s a less comfortable sleep surface with the sleep tracker on it, and I think most people would agree. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s something to note.
What Are The Features Of The Sleep Tracker?
- See nightly data about how you slept and see trends over time
- There is a “smart” alarm feature
- You can run sleep experiments to see how different things affect your sleep
- Home integrations (using IFTTT)
- White noise player
- Bed warming for each side of the bed
What Does the Sleep Tracker Actually Track?
- What time you go to bed
- Breathing rate
- Temperature in bed
- Your usual bedtime (over time)
- Number of hour slept
- The time you actually fall asleep
- Room temperature
- Light levels
- Tossing and turning
- How deep your sleep was
- Heart rate
- Noise levels
- Humidity in the room
I probably missed a couple of other things the tracker actually tracks. The overall point is that it tracks A LOT of different things and you get a really interesting picture of how well you are sleeping. I think most people will be very surprised by the results of their sleep. Living in New York City, I know there are outside noises that wake me up a lot, but the tracking data showed that was a much bigger problem than I even realized, for example.
As you can see from the video, the mattress is fairly responsive. That means you won’t ever have the feeling of getting stuck in the mattress. It has a medium firmness in my opinion. It was just soft enough for me when sleeping on my side and just firm enough for when I was sleeping on my back. Potentially lighter weight side sleepers would think it’s too firm.
As you can see from the video below, the mattress does a pretty good job at isolating motion. It’s not as good as some pure memory foam mattresses, but it is still pretty good. It can be a good option for couples.
I really liked the feel of the mattress and think the technology is really awesome. My only caveat is that the sleep tracker itself changes the feel of the mattress and makes it a little bit less comfortable than it would be without the tracker.