Recently, many mattress companies have begun to release mattresses designed specifically with larger people in mind. Most of these mattresses contain very supportive coils, high-density foams, and other features meant to handle heavier weights.
Now, Brooklyn Bedding, one of the most popular bed-in-a-box brands, is getting in the game. The company recently released the Titan mattress, its own mattress for large people.
As a fan of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses and having tried out many mattresses for larger people, I was interested to see how the Titan would stack up.
Is this a quality mattress for heavy people? Read on for my full comparison.
You Might Want To Pick The Titan If …
- You are a much larger person. The Titan is Brooklyn Bedding’s mattress made just for larger people. Having tried it out myself, I can say it should be supportive enough for much larger people. Even if you are between 300 and 500 lb, the Titan should give you the support you need.
- You are larger and prefer a very firm mattress. The Brooklyn Bedding Titan is one of the firmest mattresses I have tried. There is very little give when I lie down in any position. If you are on the heavier side and also like the feeling of a firmer mattress, the Titan should be a good choice.
- You are a heavier stomach sleeper. Stomach sleepers are usually better off going with a firm mattress. You want to ensure that your hips are given the proper amount of support so they don’t sink too far into the mattress. Stomach sleepers, even those on the heavier side, should feel plenty of support on the Titan.
- You are a hot sleeper. Sleeping hot can be a big issue for heavier people. Heavy people can sink farther into some mattresses and feel their own body heat directed back at them. The Titan is a firmer mattress that shouldn’t let you sink in too far. In addition, the coils promote airflow through the mattress while the gel memory foam helps keep the top of the mattress cool.
You Might Not Want To Pick The Titan If …
- You are a heavier side sleeper. Side sleepers, especially those that are heavier, want to make sure their mattress has a comfort layer thick enough to relieve pressure on their shoulders and hips. The Titan is a firm mattress without a very thick comfort layer. Heavier people will most likely push right through the top foam layers and feel some serious pressure.
- You are larger and prefer a softer mattress. Even if you are a larger person, that doesn’t mean you want a very firm mattress. It is true that you want a mattress to support your larger weight, but you can also find a mattress with some softer top layers. The Titan is probably too firm for those who like a softer mattress with some give.
- You are a back sleeper. If you are a back sleeper, you want to find a mattress with a balance of comfort and support. The Titan mattress is more on the supportive side. Even if you are much larger, your hips might not sink in enough to be comfortable.
- The Titan is 11” tall.
- The cover is made of polyester and is quilted with 1” of gel memory foam.
- The next layer is 2” of TitanFlex foam.
- Then you get 6” of TitanCaliber coils.
- The base is 2” of a high-density foam.
- The mattress is made in the USA.
- The top memory foam layer is infused with gel to help with cooling. In addition, customers can opt to add a cooling panel to the top of the mattress. This means hot sleepers shouldn’t be overheating on the Titan.
- The gel memory foam does have a bit of that classic memory foam feel. However, it is a high-density memory foam that is meant to prevent sagging over time. Lower-density memory foams can sag quickly, especially under heavier weights.
- TitanFlex is a foam that is proprietary to Brooklyn Bedding. The layer of TitanFlex foam is there to help with contouring and pressure relief.
- The Titan is made with larger people in mind. It contains high-density foams that shouldn’t sag under heavy weight. In addition, it contains industrial coils which are meant to support larger weights.
- This mattress should also be a longer-lasting option. The materials that make it a good choice for larger people also make it a durable mattress. The mattress should help you sleep comfortably for years to come.
- The Titan is very competitively priced. Brooklyn Bedding owns its own factory, which allows the company to price its mattresses much lower than its competitors. The Titan is actually half the price of many of the other mattresses that are made just for larger people.
Firmness And Feel
When we talk about firmness, it is really subjective. The perceived firmness of a mattress can depend on your weight and your experiences with other mattresses.
When lying down on the Titan, the firmness is very much affected by my size. I weight 230 lb and am 6’7″. For me, the Titan felt like a 9/10, which is very firm. If you are heavier than me (in the 300 to 500 lb weight range), the Titan could feel softer to you. Your weight could cause you to press into the mattress more than I did, altering the firmness.
Here is how I felt while sleeping on the Titan mattress:
- Back sleeping on the Titan, the mattress is too firm for me. Back sleepers usually want a mattress that provides support but is not ultra-firm. I also think I might be too light for my hips to really sink into the mattress. I do feel well supported, but I wish I would sink in a bit further.
- Side sleeping on the Titan, the mattress is also too firm for me. I am feeling a lot of pressure on my shoulders and my hips. This is a firmer mattress and maybe not the best match for side sleeping.
- Stomach sleeping on the Titan, the mattress is definitely supportive enough. I feel good support on my hips and across my entire body. Stomach sleepers of pretty much any size should like the Titan.
To test out the bounce of the mattress, I dropped a lacrosse ball from about three feet. The ball does not really bounce at all. That soft memory foam is pretty much stopping it.
While there is little bounce, it shouldn’t be difficult to move around on the Titan. The comfort layer is not very thick, so you do feel the coils beneath. The mattress has more of an innerspring feel with just a bit of that soft memory foam feel on top.
If you sleep with a partner, it is important to think about motion transfer. When your partner moves around at night, will that motion transfer to you or will it be isolated to your partner’s side of the bed?
To test out the motion transfer on the Titan, I placed a glass of water in the center of the mattress. I then pressed into the other areas of the mattress. I saw very little disturbance in the water. I think this is because you have soft memory foam and TitanFlex in the top layers. This is cutting down on some of the motion transfer.
In the end, this lets me know the Titan could be a decent mattress for couples.
Edge support is also important to think about if you sleep with a partner. Basically, you want to know how close to the edge you can sleep without falling off. You paid for the mattress, so you should be able to use all of it!
While sitting near the edge of the Titan, I feel pretty secure. The coils do compress a bit, but not too much. I feel steady enough to reach down and tie my shoes.
While lying down near the edge of the Titan, I do not feel like I am going to roll off the mattress. This is a firm mattress with supportive coils, so I am not surprised by the solid edge support.
Unboxing The Titan
The Brooklyn Bedding Titan will arrive at your house in a cardboard box.
Ask a friend for help, and then start by opening the box and taking out the rolled-up mattress. Place it on your foundation or bed.
Then, carefully cut through the plastic without damaging the mattress. Like many bed-in-box mattresses, the Titan comes with a few layers of plastic wrapped around it. Be especially careful when you cut through the final layer. The mattress contains coils, so it might pop out quickly.
Then, clear the plastic away and give the mattress time to off-gas and expand.
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- It is a very supportive mattress and should be a good fit for larger people.
- Stomach sleepers should get the support they need.
- The Titan is priced much lower than other mattresses that are tailored to large people.
- The mattress is a good option for hot sleepers.
The Brooklyn Bedding Titan is definitely a good option for larger people, and it is a good deal too. However, large side sleepers and those who prefer a softer mattress might want to look elsewhere.
The Titan comes with a 120-night sleep trial, 10-year warranty, and free shipping and returns. Financing is available.