How do you choose between two quality mattresses? It can be very difficult, especially when you’re looking at two mattresses like the GhostBed and Purple mattress.
However, I have the information you need to make the right choice the first time around. Which will be the mattress for you? Read on for my full comparison.
- They have similar base layers.
- They are both have bouncy, responsive sleeping surfaces.
- They are both firmer than average.
- The GhostBed is more affordable than the Purple.
- The GhostBed is a thicker mattress.
- They have very different materials in their comfort layers.
- Their feels are different. The GhostBed has a balanced foam feel and the Purple has a unique squishy gel feel.
- The GhostBed is 11” tall.
- The cover is thin and soft.
- The first layer is 1.5” of a latex foam.
- This is followed by 2” of a gel memory foam.
- The final layer is 7.5” of a high density, base support foam.
- It is 9.5” tall.
- The cover is soft and thin.
- The first layer is 2” of a Purple Smart Comfort Grid. It is a hyper-elastic polymer with a squishy feeling.
- Next, there are 3.5” of a Plush Comfort Foam.
- The base layer is 4” of polyfoam.
- Both mattresses have soft, thin covers that allow you to easily engage with the comfort layers.
- The Purple’s comfort layer has two inches of a hyper-elastic gel polymer. It is firm until a certain amount of pressure is applied. It is squishy but also firm and a great choice for combination sleepers.
- The GhostBed has latex over memory foam. These are both high-density, making this mattress a great choice for heavier sleepers who require extra support. It has a bit of bounce that allows you to move around easily on the mattress.
- In terms of durability, each mattress is about the same. They should both be longer lasting mattresses considering their durable materials.
- Speaking of breathability, these mattresses should both perform well. There is room for airflow in each mattress, so neither should be sleeping hot.
Firmness and Feel Differences
In terms of firmness, I thought the GhostBed was a 7.5/10 and the Purple was a 7/10. While heavier people may have a different experience, I do believe they will also find the Purple to be the softer mattress.
On my back, the GhostBed gives me good support. My hips sink in the right amount, but the rest of my body stays flat. On my side, I definitely feel some pressure on my shoulders and hips. Moving to my stomach, I feel very well supported.
On the Purple, I also feel the proper support on my back. My butt and hips collapse the gel grid, but the rest of my body is held up. On my side, I feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips. Finally, on my stomach, I am also well supported.
In terms of feel, the GhostBed has a balanced foam feel with a bit of bounce. The mattress is responsive, so it is easy to move around.
The Purple has a unique squishy gel feel. It is supportive, but pressure relieving at the same time. It has a great balance of comfort and support, and it also has some bounce.
See how the GhostBed responded to my tests in the video below.
Is the unique Purple feel the right one for you? Find out in this video.
Motion Transfer Differences
If you sleep with a partner, you want to know if you will feel them move around on their side of the bed. Will they disturb you while you sleep on these mattresses?
Between the two, the Purple handles motion transfer a bit better than the GhostBed. If you sleep with a partner, you should feel less of their movements on your side of the mattress if you choose the Purple.
It could be the better mattress for couples.
See how GhostBed stood up to my motion transfer tests.
Now, watch how the Purple performs better with cutting down on motion transfer.
Edge Support Differences
Between the two mattresses, the GhostBed definitely has better edge support. It is a firmer mattress with a more traditional construction.
Sitting on the edge, I feel more secure on the GhostBed. Lying down, I feel less like I am going to roll off the mattress.
See the edge support differences in the photos below.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these two mattresses:
In terms of firmness, I said the Ghostbed was an 8.5/10 and the Purple was a 6.5/10. That’s a pretty big difference and I think the main reason for that has to do with my size.
With the GhostBed, I’m pressing through the soft layers and feeling the firm layers beneath. I kind of bottomed out on this mattress, so it felt firmer to me than it did to Joe.
On the Purple, I had the opposite experience. I’m actually activating the gel layer more than he did, so it feels softer to me than it did to him.
On the GhostBed, I felt good support on my back. Moving to my side, I’m definitely feeling some pressure on my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, I feel good overall support.
On the Purple, I feel great on my back. My hips sink in just the right amount, but the rest of my body is held up.
On my side, there is good pressure relief on my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, I feel good overall support.
So, if you’re a heavier back or side sleeper, I would lean toward the Purple. If you’re a heavier stomach sleeper, I would choose the GhostBed.
I was not surprised by Marten’s experience. As a heavier person, he got more out of the Purple than I did when he was on his side. His weight activated the gel grid, so he had even better pressure relief than I did. On the GhostBed, his weight was a disadvantage, and he pressed too far into the mattress and found it to be firmer than I did.
Pick GhostBed If:
- You prefer a firmer mattress. I think that people of many body types will say that the GhostBed is the firmer of the two mattresses. If you have had success with firmer mattresses, this is probably the way to go.
- You like a balanced foam feel. If you like a responsive foam mattress that allows you to sink in somewhat, the GhostBed is the better choice. You get some pressure relief, but it is still easy to move around on the mattress.
- You want a more affordable mattress. If you wish to save a few hundred dollars, the GhostBed is definitely the cheaper mattress. These mattresses could both be a good fit for back and stomach sleepers so, if you sleep in one of these positions, the GhostBed could save you money.
Pick Purple If:
- You want to try a unique feeling mattress. The Purple’s gel grid is firm and pressure relieving at the same time. It is really unlike any other mattress I have tried.
- You are a side sleeper. Between the two mattresses, the Purple does a better job of relieving pressure on shoulders and hips. If you sleep primarily on your side, this is the mattress to choose.
- You are a combination sleeper. At the same time, this mattress is properly supportive when you are on your back. There is really a great balance of comfort and support. So, if you move around a bit at night, the Purple should be the mattress for you.
With this information, your choice between the GhostBed and Purple mattress should be an easy one. The GhostBed is a better choice if you like a firmer mattress with a balanced foam feel. Side sleepers, combination sleepers, and those who are interested in a unique gel grid technology should choose the Purple. Please leave any specific comments or questions about the GhostBed or the Purple in the comment section below.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Casper Wave vs Casper Wave Hybrid – Which Is Best For You? - June 5, 2019
- Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Review – A Great Value? - June 3, 2019
- Linenspa Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Review – Affordable Comfort? - May 30, 2019