I enjoyed my experience with the original Bear mattress, and I was very excited to try the Bear Hybrid.
The Bear Hybrid mattress features a very interesting combination of layers. It combines proprietary performance foam, gel memory foam, standard polyfoam, and microcoils for a true luxury mattress feel.
Is this hybrid mattress a good match for you? Read on for my full review:
You Might Want To Pick The Bear Hybrid If:
- You Are Looking For A Luxury-Style Mattress– The tufted cover makes for a soft, pillow-top experience. When you first lie down on the mattress, you definitely get the sense that it is an upscale mattress. It has a similar feel to mattresses you might sleep on at high-end hotels.
- You Like Traditional Spring Mattresses– Even though this is a hybrid, the feel is very similar to a spring mattress with nice bounce and cradling. If you have had success with traditional mattresses before, you will likely feel at home with this mattress.
- You Are A Combination Sleeper– This mattress is in the medium firmness range so you will find comfort in a variety of positions. I found that I was properly supported when I was on my back and stomach and felt pretty good pressure relief when I was on my side.
You Might Not Want to Pick The Bear Hybrid If:
- You Are A Larger Person Who Sleeps Mainly On Your Side– The top layer is very soft and there is a much firmer layer underneath. That means if you are heavier, you may push through the top layer and feel the firmer layer beneath it. Our staff writer Marten weighs about 230 lbs. and experienced this feeling, thinking the mattress was about an 8/10 firmness for him.
- You Prefer A Very Soft Mattress– The polyfoam layer quilted into the cover is very soft, but the next layer of proprietary foam may be too firm for those seeking a very soft mattress.
- You Want A Memory Foam Feel– This mattress has more of a traditional spring mattress feel, so you won’t get that slow sinking-in feeling that you would come from a mattress made with only memory foam.
- The mattress is 14.5″ tall.
- Quilted into the cover is 2” of super soft polyfoam.
- Celliant is also woven into the cover. This is designed to help with recovery and blood circulation. There are some credible studies that show these claims are true (learn more on that HERE).
- Under that is 3” of performance foam, a proprietary latex-like foam (this adds support). This foam will prevent you from sinking in too far and will make sure you don’t feel like you get stuck in the mattress.
- Then, you’ll find 2” of gel memory foam. This layer helps dissipate heat and provides deep down pressure relief.
- 2.5” of individually encased microcoils are next. These help with airflow, contouring and motion isolation.
- The foundation is 5” of polyfoam.
- The Bear Hybrid is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it meets high health and environmental standards.
- Made in the USA.
- The mattress comes in Queen, King, and California King only.
- The mattress may be ideal for athletes, as the Celliant technology assists in recovery.
- The quilted polyfoam creates a nice luxury, pillow top feel.
- The microcoils together with the gel foam won’t leave you sleeping hot.
- The performance foam will give you nice pressure relief without you feeling stuck.
- Even those there are multiple layers with different components, the mattress does have a more traditional spring mattress feel.
Though the top layer is quite soft, there is a much firmer layer right beneath it. The top layer of super soft foam gives in quickly and, if you are a larger person, you may feel like this is a firmer mattress.
In my experience, however, it never felt like I was getting stuck. It was easy to move around and, overall, this mattress had a nice feel and was 6.5 or 7/10, about average in terms of firmness.
The combination of microcoils and memory foam cuts down on motion transfer in this mattress.
As you can see in the video, there was little motion transfer as I pressed down close to the cup, and I thought the motion isolation was above average. This makes it a good choice for couples.
With the Bear Hybrid, I felt supported as I slept close to the edge and never felt like I was going to be thrown off. I also felt decent support when I sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over to tie my shoes.
You can see the nice edge support in the picture below.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type from me. He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lbs (I am 5’9″ and 160 lbs.). Here is what he thought about the mattress.
“I am larger than Joe and when I laid on my side, I pressed through that top layer right down to that next layer of firmer foam. So, it felt firmer than average, around 8/10.
On my stomach and back, I did feel that good support so, if you are larger or taller stomach or back sleeper, this could be a good choice for you.”
His experience confirms what I would expect for most heavier people. If you sleep on your side and are heavier you will press through the top soft layer and hit the firmer layer beneath it, meaning you might think the mattress is more on the firm side.
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out
- The super soft top layer gives this mattress a pillow top feel you might experience at a luxury hotel.
- The Celliant technology used in the top layer assists with blood circulation and recovery, making it ideal for athletes.
- The combination of coils and memory foam gives support while still relieving pressure.
- The durable construction makes this a good choice for those looking for a long-term investment.
How To Unbox This Mattress
The Bear Hybrid is a bed in a box mattress, which means it will come compressed and shipped straight to you. You will want to begin by removing the rolled up Bear Hybrid from its box. Then, preferably with another person’s assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully cut the away the first layers of plastic until the still-compact mattress can be laid down flat. Then, pierce through the final layer of plastic and the Bear Hybrid will expand. Simply clear away the excess plastic and allow your mattress to breathe and fully expand.
The Bear Hybrid could be a great choice if you are a combination sleeper. Whether on your back, stomach, or side, you will find good comfort in numerous positions.
However, If you are on the larger or heavier than average side, you may find the Bear Hybrid to be firmer. If that is the case, you may want to look for something softer.
Bear offers a 100 night, risk-free trial period and a 10-year Limited Warranty.