I have been impressed with Brooklyn Bedding’s mattresses for a few years now. The company produces quality mattresses, and they own their own factory. This allows them to sell their mattresses for much less than their competitors.
They have been adding new models to their line of mattresses pretty steadily, and the EcoSleep is their newest addition. It is a flippable latex hybrid mattress that lets you choose between a medium or firm support options.
Having tried many of the most popular natural latex mattresses out there, I was interested to see how the EcoSleep would compare.
Is this another quality mattress from Brooklyn Bedding? Read on for my full review.
You Might Want To Pick The EcoSleep If…
- You are a larger person or you have extra support needs. The EcoSleep is a very supportive mattress and, whether you choose the medium side or the firm side, the mattress should be able to handle even heavier weights. Whether you are on the heavier side or just want a more supportive mattress, the EcoSleep should work for you.
- You are a hot sleeper. If you often wake up sweaty and overheating, the EcoSleep could work for you. The coils allow for a lot of airflow, and the latex and wool are both breathable materials. You should be sleeping cooler on the EcoSleep.
- You want a mattress to last you for a long time. Natural latex and coils are very durable materials. Latex foam shouldn’t sag too quickly, and the coils should stay supportive for a good amount of time.
- You sleep on your back or stomach. If you sleep primarily on your back and stomach, the EcoSleep should be a good choice. The Medium has more of a balance of comfort and support for back sleepers, and the Firm side is more supportive for stomach sleeping.
- You like a firmer mattress. Both sides of the EcoSleep are firmer-than-average. If you prefer a firmer mattress and prefer to sleep on top of your mattress, the EcoSleep is a good option.
You Might Not Want To Pick The EcoSleep If…
- You are a side sleeper. Both sides of this mattress should be too firm for side sleeping. You will probably feel a good deal of pressure on your shoulders and hips. Side sleepers should look for a softer mattress overall.
- You like a medium-firm or soft mattress. Again, even the Medium side is firmer-than-average. If you want a mattress with more comfort or prefer to sleep in your mattress, the EcoSleep might not work for you.
- You don’t like a bouncy mattress. The EcoSleep is a very bouncy, responsive mattress. If you don’t like some much bounce in your mattress, consider something with memory foam or some other slower-reacting foam.
- The mattress is 11″ tall.
- On both the Medium and Firm sides of the mattress, there is an organic cotton cover that is quilted with soft, Joma wool.
- On the Medium side, the first layer is 1.5” of plush natural latex.
- Below that, there is a 1.5” total latex support layer.
- Then, there are 6” of Ascension coils.
- The bottom is 1.5” of firmer natural latex. When you flip the mattress, this is the top layer of the Firm side.
- The mattress is made in the USA.
- As I said above, the EcoSleep is a flippable mattress. On the Medium side, that extra layer of natural latex provides a bit more comfort but less also less support. You don’t have that extra layer on the Firm side, so you are just getting the support of the firmer latex layer on top.
- Whether you are on the Medium or Firm side, the EcoSleep is a very supportive mattress. The pocketed coils and latex should be able to support even much larger weights. Larger people should definitely feel at home on the EcoSleep.
- The EcoSleep is a very breathable mattress. The coils in the center of the mattress are going to promote airflow. Natural latex is also known for being quite breathable, so it shouldn’t trap heat the way that memory foam does. The wool under the cover is also a naturally breathable material that should keep the top of the mattress nice and airy.
- This mattress contains some very durable materials. Latex foam like what you find in the EcoSleep will not sag quickly like memory foam. Also, the pocketed coils are going to stand up to many years of use. The EcoSleep should be worth the investment.
- The coils and natural latex both give this mattress some bounce. The sleeping surface is very responsive, so changing positions should be no issue at all.
How This Compares To Other Natural Latex Mattresses
There are so many natural latex mattresses currently available. Like Brooklyn Bedding, most major mattress companies are starting to offer natural latex options. So, why should you choose the EcoSleep over its many latex competitors?
First off, the EcoSleep is one of the most supportive latex mattresses I have slept on. Both sides of the mattress are firmer-than-average and I am getting ideal support when I am on my back and stomach. Fans of firm mattresses are probably going to prefer the EcoSleep over other latex mattresses.
It is also great that you get to choose from two firmnesses. If you know you want a firm mattress, but you want to hone in on the perfect firmness, the EcoSleep could be very helpful. You have a good chance of finding the right firmness for you with this flippable mattress.
So, those who need more support, such as heavier people, should really take a look at the EcoSleep.
Firmness And Feel
So, I have said that the EcoSleep is firmer-than-average. How firm exactly? Well, you have two sides, and each is going to have its own firmness. The Medium side feels like an 8/10. Flipping the mattress over, the Firm side feels like a 9/10. It is extremely firm.
Let’s talk about how this makes me feel when I test it in different sleeping positions. Here’s how I felt sleeping on the Firm side:
- When I lie on my back, the mattress is actually too firm for me. While it is definitely supportive enough for back sleeping, my hips don’t really sink into the firm top layer.
- Side sleeping, the Firm side is, well, too firm. Side sleepers need more comfort so that they get enough pressure relief on areas like the shoulders and hips. I am feeling a lot of pressure in both these areas.
- Stomach sleeping, the Firm side is a great match for me. Stomach sleepers usually do better on firmer mattresses, and the Firm side is supporting me very well.
Now, let’s take a look at the Medium side.
- Back sleeping on this side of the mattress, I feel much better. I am getting plenty of support, but I am also getting a bit more comfort. My hips sink in just a bit.
- Side sleeping, the Medium side is also too firm for me. Again, it is still an 8/10. I would usually like something softer for side sleeping.
- Finally, on my stomach, even the Medium side is firm enough for me. If you are larger, you might want to opt for the Firm side, just to make sure you get enough support.
Both sides have a bouncy, responsive feel. The combination of latex and coils makes it very easy to move around on the mattress. If you switch positions at night, you should have no issues.
If you are looking for a good mattress for couples, some materials are ideal. For instance, memory foam is great at handling motion transfer. It will absorb the movements you and your partner make so that you don’t disturb one another.
Unfortunately, latex is not the best when it comes to motion transfer. This bouncy material does not isolate motion as well as a material like memory foam.
I placed a glass of water in the center of the EcoSleep. Then, I pushed into the other side of the mattress. I could see quite a bit of disturbance in the surface of the water. I also lay down on one side of the EcoSleep while Marten moved around on the other side. I did feel him moving around.
If you do sleep with a partner, it is possible you could feel their movements on the EcoSleep.
When you’re buying a mattress, you also want to make sure you can use the whole thing! With some mattresses, you could feel like you are rolling off when you are near the edge of the mattress.
However, this is not a problem on the EcoSleep. Sitting on the edge of the EcoCloud, the mattress does not collapse too much. I can also lie very close to the edge of the EcoSleep, and I don’t feel like I am going to fall off.
So, if you sleep with a partner, you should both be able to sleep all the way to the edge. You can see the solid edge support in the photo below.
If you are shopping for a new mattress, you should keep your weight in mind. You want to know that your mattress is going to give you all the support and comfort you need. I am 5’9” and weigh 160 lbs. I asked Marten to try out the EcoSleep so we can get the perspective of a larger person. He is 6’7” and weighs 230 lbs.
Like Joe, I felt the Medium side is an 8/10, and the Firm side is a 9/10. It feels very supportive on both sides.
Here is how I feel sleeping on the Medium side:
- Back sleeping, the mattress is a very good match for me. My hips sink in but not too far. I am also getting great overall support.
- When I move to my side, I feel some serious pressure on my shoulders and hips. It is not a good match for side sleeping.
- On my stomach, the mattress is definitely supportive enough. I feel like my hips are getting the support they require, and the mattress stays flat and supportive.
Here is how I feel sleeping on the Firm side:
- Back sleeping on the Firm side, the mattress is a bit too firm for me. My hips aren’t allowed to sink in enough.
- Side sleeping, the Firm side is even firmer. I am getting almost no pressure relief on my shoulders and hips.
- When I am on my stomach, I feel even better support.
If you are a heavier back sleeper, the Medium side should work for you. If you are a heavier side sleeper, you should look for a softer mattress. Heavier stomach sleepers should find both sides to be a good match. However, if you are over 300 lbs, you will probably want to sleep on the Firm side.
It is nice to know that even someone of Marten’s weight was getting enough support on the EcoSleep. As he notes, much heavier stomach sleepers should choose the firm side of the EcoSleep.
Unboxing The EcoSleep
Looking at the EcoSleep, it’s hard to imagine that it comes out of a box. Well, it does! The EcoSleep is going to arrive at your house in a big cardboard box.
First off, ask a friend to help you move the box inside and into your bedroom. Trust me, do not do this alone. Save your back, and ask someone for help.
Then, you will open the top of the box and take out the rolled-up mattress. Move the mattress over to your bed frame or foundation.
Next, it is time to start cutting. Carefully cut through the numerous layers of plastic. Make sure you don’t cut too deep and damage your mattress!
Once you get through the final layer of plastic, this mattress is going to spring right into shape. Watch out!
Since the mattress contains latex and coils, it should be ready to use almost immediately.
What Makes The EcoSleep Stand Out?
- It is flippable, giving you two firmness options.
- The mattress is very supportive and should work for sleepers of many sizes.
- It is a very durable mattress.
- The EcoSleep is breathable and should be a good match for hot sleepers.
- It is responsive, so it is easy to change positions.
All in all, the EcoSleep is a very impressive mattress. It is supportive, durable, and breathable. I also love the flippable design. I will just say that a side sleeper or a person who doesn’t like bouncy mattresses might want to look elsewhere.
The EcoSleep comes with a 120-night sleep trial, 10-year warranty, as well as free shipping and returns. Brooklyn Bedding also offers accessories and a number of mattress models such as the Signature, Bowery, and Titan.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Bear Pro Vs Bear Mattress Comparison – Which Bear Wins Out? - October 17, 2019
- Bear Pro Mattress Review – Professionally Comfortable? - October 16, 2019
- Best Cheap Mattresses – Save Some Money! - October 7, 2019