The 12″ Plush Gel Memory Foam mattress from Lucid is soft, comfortable and affordable on almost any budget. It comes in a variety of sizes and features ventilated gel memory foam and a Tencel blend cover fabric to help you sleep cool. Could it be a good fit for you? Read on for my full review.
- 12” mattress profile
- 59” x 12” x 79” (Queen)
- 83 pounds
- Delivered to your door compressed into a box
- Tencel (Lyocell) blend cover
- Medium-plush feel intended for side sleepers who like more cushion
- Will work with a wide variety of bed frames
- 25-year warranty
- Made with CertiPur-US® certified foam
- Care: The mattress can be spot cleaned with mild detergent and a damp cloth
Who Makes It?
This mattress is made by Lucid. Lucid makes a wide range of mattresses, mattress toppers and even frames and an adjustable base. The 12″ gel memory foam mattress is one of eight gel memory foam mattresses available from Lucid.
Lucid’s 12” plush gel memory foam mattress is made up of three foam layers plus a soft cover. Here is a breakdown of the layers:
- Cover: Tencel (Lyocell) fabric blend cover that is designed to breathe and regulate moisture.
- Please note: The cover has a zipper and is technically removable, but Lucid does not advise it. Underneath the cover is an additional cover over the mattress layers and this should not be opened at all.
- 3” Ventilated Gel Memory Foam: the foam is infused with gel beads to capture and distribute heat, according to Lucid. The ventilated design is used to promote airflow and temperature-regulation. (4lb density)
- 1” Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam: this layer utilizes both bamboo and charcoal as a way to manage odors and moisture and filter allergens from the air. (3 lb density)
- 8” Supportive High-Density Base Foam: Lucid says their thick base layer is designed to support large frames as well as back and side sleepers. (1.6 lb density)
|Twin||38" x 75"|
|Twin XL||38" x 80"|
|Full||53" x 75"|
|Full XL||53" x 80"|
|Queen||60" x 80"|
|King||76" x 80"|
|CA King||72" x 84"|
You Might Want To Pick The Lucid 12” Plush Gel Memory Foam Mattress If…
- You want to sink into your mattress. The 3” of gel memory foam at the top of the mattress and the 1″ of bamboo charcoal memory foam beneath that are all designed to conform and contour to your body. You will truly feel that you are sinking into the bed.
- You like to change your bed (works with all types of platforms). This memory foam mattress will work on a variety of bed frames. As long as the slat is not spaced wider than four inches, any sort of solid platform, from slatted base to adjustable base, will work.
- You want to save money. At $575 for a Queen, this Lucid mattress is extremely affordable. It could be a good option if money is tight or you’re looking for a new and comfortable bed for your guest room.
You Might Not Want To Get This Mattress If…
- You prefer a firmer mattress. The plush nature of this mattress means that you will sink heavily into the bed before feeling the firmer base layer below. This doesn’t make the mattress soft overall, but the top layer definitely has some give.
- You are a heavier person. Based on my experience and from other reviews I’ve read, this mattress may not be a good fit for heavier or larger frames. The 4″ of memory foam layers have a lot of give to them and are meant to conform to your body – they may not be supportive enough and may cause pressure relief issues (especially for side sleepers).
- You want a mattress for the next decade. This mattress may be a good value for its price but it probably isn’t durable enough to last a decade. This could be a good fit for a guest room mattress.
This is a medium-plush mattress, so I did sink pretty deeply into the top gel memory foam layer. As you can see from the video, the foam is still fairly responsive but the overall feel will not be firm until you fully sink into the bed.
The memory foam layers at the top of this bed help with motion transfer. This could be a good match for couples who don’t want to disturb each other when they get out of bed.
With the plush feel and memory foam top layer, there is not a lot of edge support to this mattress. If you lay on your side you may feel yourself sinking closer to the edge.
Returns & Warranty
Lucid accepts returns of any item within 30 days of purchase. You will need to contact Customer Service and have your order number available to set up the return.
The mattresses come with a 25-year warranty. This starts from the date of purchase and will cover any defects in materials or workmanship (please see the documentation that comes with the mattress for exceptions).
Keep in mind that the warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the mattress and does not cover wear and tear and stains – so we always recommend that you put a mattress protector over your mattress to keep it in good shape.
What Makes This Mattress Stand Out
I think the price is really what makes this mattress stand out. It is affordable and you get some nice layers of memory foam that feel plush and soft. This is a great option for people who are on a tight budget who want a foam mattress and want it to come to their door hassle-free.
Based on my experience, I think the 12″ plush gel memory foam mattress from Lucid is cozy and comfortable for the average sized person. Lucid has added thoughtful details to help keep the foam layers breathable. The memory foam in the top layers of the bed really promotes a “sink into your bed” feel that many may enjoy.
The bed is very affordable but it may not be as durable as its more expensive memory foam counterparts. Based on my experience and other reviews I read, I would suggest it more for a guest bed and recommend that heavier sleepers or those with larger body types take a look at other options as well.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- GhostPillows Review: Gel Memory Foam And Faux Down - December 4, 2019
- Vicks Starry Night Cool Mist Humidifier Review – Sweet Dreams All Night Long? - December 3, 2019
- New Study Reveals Far-Reaching Impacts Of Sleep Deprivation - November 27, 2019