Tempur-Pedic (now Tempur-Sealy) is a company that has been around a long time and really created the memory foam mattress category. Purple is a new company making huge waves in the market with its gel technology mattress. As Purple has gained in popularity, people are wondering how these two mattress offerings compare to one another. I’ll go over the main similarities and differences here to try to help you make a more informed decision.
- Both provide great pressure relief
- Both use quality, durable materials
- Both do a good job at isolating motion (good for couples)
- Purple has just one mattress, while Tempur-Pedic has a full line, all with different firmnesses
- The Purple is less expensive than every Tempur-Pedic model
- The Purple has a bouncier / more resilient feel, while most Tempur-Pedic models have a slower-moving, memory foam feel
Main Construction Difference
Rather than going through each Tempur-Pedic model and going through the differences of each individual layer, I thought I’d just describe the main difference between the whole line of Tempurpedic mattresses and the Purple.
The key is the comfort layer. Every Tempur-Pedic mattress has a comfort layer with memory foam in it (either the TEMPUR-ES or TEMPUR-HD). While each model will have a different firmness level and slightly different feel, all the mattresses has the slower-moving memory foam feel.
The feel you get from the TEMPUR material is very different from the Purple’s comfort layer. The Purple has a hyper-elastic polymer gel layer. It remains firm until a certain threshold is met and then that part of the gel collapses. The result is a firm feel that is also very pressure relieving at the same time. The gel is instantly responsive, which is very different from the slow-moving feel of memory foam. You can see this feel in the video below.
Pick Purple If:
- You Want A More Resilient Feel– The Purple moves immediately back into place when you move around. It has a very bouncy/resilient feel, much more so than any of the Tempurpedic models. If that’s the type of feel you think you’d like, then Purple would probably be the way to go.
- You Want A Temperature Neutral Mattress– The gel construction makes the Purple mattress a completely temperature neutral mattress. That means you won’t sleep overly hot or overly cold because of the mattress. The Breeze models from Tempurpedic do a good job of making the mattress sleep cooler, but I think Purple takes the cake as far as keeping a neutral sleeping temperature.
- You Want A Combination Of Firmness And Pressure Relief– I found Purple to be unique in that it felt both somewhat firm yet very pressure relieving at the same time. It was a cool feeling where I felt very well supported while feeling almost no pressure on my hips and shoulders.
- You Want A Little More Value– Through the online-only business model, the value you get from the Purple is more than you get from any Tempurpedic model. This is simply because of the big price difference between Purple and any of the Tempur-Pedic models.
Pick Tempurpedic If:
- You Want To Choose From A More Established Company– Tempurpedic has been around much longer than Purple. That means you get the benefit of years of customer reviews. You will have a better idea of how each of their mattresses will hold up over time because there is so much more data available.
- You Want Firmness Options– Purple will be a good fit for a majority of sleepers, but if you know the exact firmness you want, you might be able to get a better fit with a Tempur-Pedic. They make each mattress model with a specific firmness in mind (Contour Supreme being the firmest and the Cloud Luxe being the softest), so you should be able to easily match your preference to one of the available models.
- You Want A Slow-Moving, Memory Foam Feel– The feel of most Tempurpedic models is very different from the feel of the Purple. If you like to slowly sink into the mattress, then you will most likely prefer most of the Tempur-Pedic models over the Purple mattress.
Notes On Sleeping Hot
Some people worry that their mattress could sleep hot, and that is a common complaint about some Tempur-Pedic models. The Breeze models directly address this issue and do a good job of keeping a cooler sleeping temperature.
The Purple mattress is temperature neutral. You should have no concerns about the mattress sleeping hot. It’s simply not an issue because of the way the mattress is constructed.
Notes On Motion Isolation
Both Purple and the Tempur-Pedic models do a great job at isolating motion. If I had to pick a winner, I would say that the Tempur-Pedic models do a slightly better job at isolating motion, but it’s pretty close. Both are a great option for couples because of this.
Notes On Price/Value
The obvious difference between Purple and the Tempur-Pedic line of mattresses is the price. Purple only sells online, so from that fact alone it is able to price its product much lower. If it sold through retail stores, it would probably be priced around $2,000-2,500.
Overall, I do believe the value of the Purple is higher, simply from the fact the business model allows them to price the mattress at such a low level. That is not to say that everyone should definitely buy the Purple, however.
The difference between the two companies and their products is vast. The feel of the Purple is very different from any of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. Given the major feel difference and the price difference, you should be able to assess which mattress would be the best fit for you.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Best Cheap Mattresses – Save Some Money! - October 7, 2019
- Level Sleep Vs Casper Mattress Comparison – Which Zoned Mattress Is Best For You? - October 4, 2019
- Allswell Luxe Hybrid Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - September 26, 2019