Experts agree, sleeping on your back is the healthiest sleep position for you (compared to side and stomach sleeping). Still, only eight percent of the American population sleeps on their back at night.
The health benefits of sleeping on your back center mostly on the ability for your head, neck, and spine to find a neutral alignment and pressure relief in this position. All of these are keys to a comfortable nights’ sleep and lack of stress, stiffness or pain when you wake in the morning.
Choosing a pillow to complement your back sleeping and continue you support proper neck alignment is not only ensures you’ll stay comfortable but it’ll also help you avoid sleep disturbances, like snoring (and wrinkles, too!).
We’ve put together our favorite pillows for back sleepers – and we included some things you should look for when you’re buying your next pillow. Sweet dreams!
Top Picks: Pillows for Back Sleepers
- eLuxury Supply Hotel White Goose Down
- Good Life Essentials Shredded Memory Foam
- Brooklyn Bedding #BestPillowEver
- Nest Bedding Easy Breather
The Laya pillow has a unique filling: a mix of shredded chunks of memory foam and Kapok fibers. You may still be able to feel the pieces of foam within the pillow, but the fibers also bring in a down-alternative like feel that stops it from getting too lumpy (learn more HERE).
With a 4″ loft, the pillow is a nice hight for back sleepers – not too flat to let your head fall back but not tall enough to push it forward. The cover is blended with Lycra and has copper fibers woven into it to add coolness and antimicrobial protection.
- Dimension: 18″ x 26″ x 4″
- Filling: 30% natural, organic and pesticide-free Kapok fibers/ 70% pieces of responsive memory foam
- Cover: Blend of polyester, rayon, viscose, and Lycra and is woven with Copper fibers to add coolness and antimicrobial protection
- Sizes: One size available
- Suitable for all sleep positions
- Made in the USA
- 5 year prorated warranty
- 120-night trial
eLuxury Supply Hotel White Goose Down
This down pillow is designed with back and side sleepers in mind. It has a nice ratio of 80 percent down and 20 percent feathers and a high fiberfill. All of this helps to give it enough boost to support the head and neck of a back sleeper.
The pillow has a great luxurious feel to it and is easy to care for (machine wash and dry). For the value, it is at a good price point for a down pillow. It could be the perfect fit for a back sleeper who prefers the cozy feel of goose down.
- 230 Thread Count
- 100% Cambric Cotton
- 600 Fill Power White Goose Down (80% down/ 20% feathers)
- Easy Care: Machine Wash and Dry
- Shell made in China, filled and finished in the USA
- Fill weight: Standard has 15 oz, the Queen has 18 oz and the King has 21 oz of fill
Good Life Essentials Shredded Memory Foam
This shredded memory foam pillow is a nice foam option for back sleepers because it can be manipulated and molded to meet your desired loft and shape. You’ll still get that “sinking” feeling like you do with solid memory foam but you’ll need to toss it in the dryer to reinvigorate it and stop it from going flat every now and then.
Although the cover is not removable, it is made with 50 percent bamboo fabric and 50 percent polyester, which gives it a soft but breathable feel to it. It’s also a nice hypoallergenic choice and can be thrown in the washing machine if needed.
- Comes in sizes: Standard, Queen and King (reviewed Queen)
- Made in the USA
- Filling: 100% Polyurethane Shredded Foam
- CertiPUR-US Certified Foam
- Cover: 50% Bamboo and 50% polyester blend textured cover
- Shredded memory foam is designed to be molded to your desired comfort
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Only sold on Amazon
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- 30-day trial
- Lifetime warranty
Brooklyn Bedding Latex in Plush
Brooklyn Bedding’s #BestPillowEver is a solid piece of aerated Talay latex foam. While it comes in Firm and Plush options, the 7″ profile should work for back sleepers if you choose the Plush option. Your head should sink far enough into the latex foam to create a neutral angle, but the bouncier feel will keep it supported without going flat all night.
The standout feature of this pillow is how cool it sleeps (learn more on that HERE). The ventilation in the filling promotes airflow and the bamboo blend fabric on the removable outer cover is breathable (and super soft) as well.
- Cover: 60% Polyester, 40% Charcoal Bamboo Blend
- Filling: Single piece of ventilated Talalay latex foam
- Firm and Plush options (I am reviewing the Plush)
- Removable cover that is machine washable and dryer friendly
- Weight: 3.5 – 6 lb (depending on size and firmness)
- Certifications: 2017 Oeko-Tex Certified Latex & 2017 Certi-Pur Certified Poly Foam
- Made in the USA
- 3-year warranty
- 30-night trial
- Price: $39.99 (Queen) and $55.99 (King)
- Sizes available: Queen and King sizes available
- Queen: 16″ x 29” x 7”
- King: 16″ x 35 x 7″
Nest Bedding Easy Breather
The Easy Breather pillow from Nest Bedding is an adjustable pillow – you can access the shredded foam/polyester fiber mix and add or remove as much of it as you’d like. This really makes it a great fit for nearly all sleep types but it is the unique feel and firmness of this filling mix that really suits back sleepers. It’s not overly firm or chunky and supports the natural curve of the neck, helping to keep your back and spine in a neutral alignment.
The outer cover is Tencel blended fabric so it breathes very well and won’t sleep hot. I thought the added polyester fibers helped give it a cozier feeling than just straight shredded foam. It comes with a 30-day trial so customers have a month to adjust the pillow to the right loft and overall feel to see if it could be a good fit for them.
- Cover: Tencel blended fabric
- Filling: Proprietary blend of shredded memory foam (75%) and polyester fibers (25%)
- Adjustable: These pillows come full and can be adjusted by removing some of the material via the zippered cover
- Care: Do not wash the pillow or the pillow casing.
- 100-night free trial
- CertiPUR-US® certified foam
- Comes in: Standard, Queen, and King
- Made with all USA made materials
- $99 (Standard)
What Back Sleepers Should Look For
As we mentioned before, you want to find a pillow that helps your head, neck, and spine all stay in a neutral position. This will prevent unnecessary stress on joints and leave you waking up refreshed and comfortable.
The good news is that there are great pillow options for back sleepers made with down, a hypoallergenic alternative, memory foam or latex foam. It’s really the personal loft and support levels that will make a difference in creating that neutral alignment between your head, neck, and spine.
Your neck has a normal curvature that should be supported by the pillow. If the pillow has too much loft, your neck will straighten out and if the pillow is too low, the curve will be intensified. Either of these positions will leave you with soreness and stiffness.
When it comes to choosing the healthiest sleep position, back sleepers take first prize. The best way you can continue your healthy streak is by using a pillow that supports the natural curve of your neck and spine and helps keep everything in neutral alignment.
There is no one-filling-fits-all pillow for back sleepers, there are plenty of options in classic down, foam or even more unique materials like Kapok fibers. Look for a pillow whose loft and firmness aren’t too high or too firm – that can push your neck up and make it harder to breathe.
If you’re unsure of what you like, your best bet might be looking into pillows that offer trial periods (plenty do). This way you can sleep on several pillows for a few nights and see which one leaves you feeling the best in the morning.
Featured image: Dean Drobot/Shutterstock
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- Layla Premium Bamboo Sheets Review - February 14, 2019
- Purple Debuts New Plush Pillow - February 12, 2019
- Mattress Clarity’s Top Deals For Presidents Day 2019 - February 12, 2019