The Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow from Coop Home Goods is distinct in more than one way. The memory foam shredded filling is responsive and guarantees the pillow will never go flat, plus sleepers can remove as much filling as they like which makes it great for people who sleep in several positions. However, that adjustable filling may get a little messy.
Read on for my full review.
- Dimensions: 20″ x 30″ for Queen
- Filling: crosscut proprietary blend of foam mix is coated with our premium combed microfiber
- CertiPUR-US® certified foam
- The cover is 60% Polyester, 40% Bamboo-Derived Rayon – designed to keep individuals cool through the night
- Made in the USA
- Standard cut size: 20″x 26″ | Queen cut size: 20″ x 30″ King cut size: 20″ x 36″
- 5-year limited warranty and 100-night sleep trial
- Shredded memory foam mix for comfort & shape-ability
- Machine washable (whole pillow or just outer cover)
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Comes in Standard, Queen and King sizes
Who Makes It?
The pillow is made by Coop Home Goods, a family-owned business run by a brother and sister team that aare known for bringing high quality and innovative products directly to consumers, bypassing retailers and associates.
Their first product is the shredded memory foam pillow that they started selling in October 2013. They also sell a mattress protector and home-related products like a stainless steel spin mop and dish drying mat set.
The Shredded Memory Foam Adjustable pillow is a traditional pillow shape and the core is made up of CertiPUR-US® certified foam and produced exclusively for Coop Home Goods.
The pillow’s outer cover fabric is made up of a delightful combination of 60% Polyester, 40% Bamboo-Derived Rayon and is engineered to keep sleepers cool through the night.
- Soft and breathable outer cover that is washable
- The entire pillow can be washed and dried (follow directions carefully and make sure it’s fully dried)
- Adjustable filling
- Pillow can be fluffed in the dryer
- Come overstuffed and may be frustrating to find the right volume
- The foam is messy when accessing the phone inside the pillow
- Customers will need to find an alternative storage place for unneeded shredded foam
- May fall flat after frequent use
Overall, my experience with the Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow was positive – there are a lot of creative and innovative details that create a nice sleep experience for anyone.
The pillow comes vacuumed sealed in plastic, to save on shipping cost and size. Once the package has been opened, customers have two options: Let the pillow expand to its intended size on its own or toss the whole pillow in the dryer on a lower heat for around 10 minutes.
My dryer was broken at the time, so I opted to let the pillow do its thing and within an hour it had grown immensely, and was the fullest pillow I’ve probably ever seen.
Coop Home Goods says there may be a scent – which is sometimes referred to as off-gassing – customers can either throw the pillow in the dryer or they can take off the removable outer cover and let it air out in direct sunlight for one to two days.
I, however, had no issues or concerns with smells and didn’t need to take action to reduce the unwanted smell.
The idea behind all of the loft in the pillow is that it’s the right size for everyone, simply remove and rearrange the foam to suit one’s needs. The people at Coop Home Goods say they overfill it so that it can accommodate the largest person.
I’m a side sleeper and prefer a more lofted pillow than maybe a back or stomach sleeper. That being said, I needed to remove five or six handfuls of foam before I found a comfortable volume for myself.
The foam itself is all the same type of foam and while it is different shapes it’s all relatively the same size – medium and some larger pieces overall.
The one thing I wish they did was to provide a bag or something to hold any extra foam. I opted for a large Ziploc bag but lost a bunch of foam in transit and it made a decent amount of mess.
There are several videos on the company’s website showing customers how to adjust their pillows. In one of the videos, the instructor demonstrates how to redistribute the shredded memory foam inside the pillow to create a little place for the head.
I played around with different distributions but ultimately found that an even distribution of memory foam was the best for me in the side sleeping position.
Some customers said their pillow fell flat after using it for a week. I felt that my pillow did lose a little of its original loft, especially after how full it is immediately out of the dryer, but it never fell completely flat.
In my experience, the pillow remained firm and supportive and did not lose its shape (meaning the filling did not re-arrange itself inside the pillow).
I think on occasion I would need to re-fluff it to bring back the foam responsiveness but I do think the fact that the foam pieces are all the same and on the bigger side plays a factor in why it’s able to maintain its shape and relative firmness after use.
The cover is also super soft, most likely from the bamboo-derived rayon. It is also removable and washable.
Although it’s a more expensive pillow, I think the thoughtful design and adjustable comfort of the Coop Home Goods Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow make it worth the price.
I really liked how comfortable it was as a side sleeper and I only needed to remove maybe 25 percent of the foam to find a comfortable fit. Yes, it was messy to remove the filling, but I slept well with the pillow so it made up for that.
Coop Home Goods has a few videos with suggestions on what to do with the pillow based on what kind of sleeping position the customer prefers. I recommend watching them in order to get a better idea of whether or not it could be a good fit.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- Honeywell Germ-Free Cool Moisture Humidifier Review - February 18, 2020
- A Complete Guide To Therapy And Sleep - February 13, 2020
- Through New Partnership, BedJet Brings Temperature Control To ReST Smart Beds - January 29, 2020