The Eco-Friendliness Of Saatva

We receive free products to review and participate in affiliate programs, where we are compensated for items purchased through links from our site. See our disclosure page for details.

There has been a big push in the US recently to understand better what the chemicals are that go into our products. There’s definitely a push to buy more “organic” products, although I’m sure that word gets used more often than it reasonably should. I’m starting to see that push come to the mattress industry and other tangential industries. I’ve seen a lot of mattress companies tout their eco-friendly policies, but I do know that message can sometimes get exaggerated. An “eco-friendly” mattress may not necessarily mean an “organic” mattress, for example, and the line is often blurred deciding which is which. I thought I would go through and describe exactly how eco-friendly the Saatva mattress and company is (see also our full Saatva review).

Foam

Saatva uses “bio-based foams” on top of its coil on coil steel construction. As a background, memory foam is made from petrochemicals unless stated otherwise. That’s just always the way things have been done in this business, and no credible studies have shown that those chemicals cause any sort of harm to humans. In this particular case, Saatva uses 30% plant-based foams. The only logical conclusion is that the other 70% comes from petrochemicals. The mattress therefore isn’t truly organic. That, however, isn’t a bad thing, as it’s very difficult and quite expensive to get to a 100% organic state. I’ve seen other companies claim to use bio-based foams, only to find out that only 5% is plant-based foam. 30% is pretty good.

saatva eco-friendly mattress

Cover

The company does have an organic cotton covering. This is good considering a lot of companies will spray the outer layer of a mattress with chemicals to pass the flame-retardant test required by law. This covering uses a natural thistle barrier, rather than using chemicals to achieve the same result. This is definitely a good thing.

Other

The company also uses recycled steel, which in my opinion is just an added bonus. The fact that they are a pure eCommerce company to me means a lot because the company is cutting out all the energy needed to run physical store locations, so overall their carbon footprint is much lower than most mattress companies.

In summary, the company isn’t all-organic, but it is clear they have taken an eco-friendly approach to how they make their mattress and run their business.

The following two tabs change content below.

Joe Auer

Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 100 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 4 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.When he isn't testing sleep products, he enjoys working out, reading both fiction and non-fiction, and playing classical piano. He enjoys traveling as well, and not just to test out hotel mattresses!Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.

Leave a Comment