The Tempur-Contour Rhapsody Luxe is the softest (although still firm overall) model in the Contour collection and is also the most expensive. As a result, I was interested to investigate what makes this mattress unique and identify who it might be good for.
The Tempur-Contour Rhapsody has a removable and washable cover, just like the other Contour models. The comfort layer is 2” thick and is made of TEMPUR-HD (HD means high-density) material. The support layer is 2.5” thick and is made of TEMPUR material. The base layer is 9” thick. The key difference between this model and the Elite and Supreme is that the comfort layer is .8-1.0” thicker in the Rhapsody Luxe, meaning you get more high-density memory foam and more contouring, as well as a slightly softer feel.
The company does not disclose the specs/densities of its materials. However, I have a backhand way to make an educated guess as to the quality and durability of the materials used. The total thickness of the mattress is 13.5” and the weight is around 110 lbs for a Queen. The Loom & Leaf Queen is 12” thick and weighs 93 lbs. That mattress uses high-density foams and is just slightly thinner than the Rhapsody Luxe. Given that the Rhapsody Luxe weighs 17 more lbs, it is safe to say that the mattress uses really high-density and high-quality materials in its construction.
The company very explicitly tells you the firmness levels of their mattresses. The Rhapsody Luxe comes in at a 7-7.5 firmness out of 10 (10 being the firmest). It is the softest out of the Contour collection but it is still quite firm.
You Might Want To Pick This Mattress If:
- You Are A Stomach Or Back Sleeper– Most people will find this mattress to be pretty firm. As a result, it is probably best for stomach or back sleepers.
- You Are A Higher-Weight Combo Sleeper– Heavier people will probably find the mattress to be pretty comfortable when sleeping on their side. It’s a great firmness level for back and stomach sleepers, so for people who are on the heavier side, it could be a good match if they sleep in multiple positions.
- You Sleep With A Partner– Like most Tempur-Pedic models, the Rhapsody Luxe does a great job at isolating motion, meaning you won’t be disturbed when your partner moves around in the bed. This makes it a great option for couples.
You Might Not Want To Pick This Mattress If:
- You Sleep Only On Your Side– People generally agree that this mattress will be too firm for most side sleepers. For heavier people it might be okay, but for most people it will be just a little too firm for side sleeping.
- You Have Budget Concerns– The mattress is $3,499 for a Queen, making it significantly more expensive than the other Contour models. I’m not 100% sure that the difference in materials and feel justifies the price difference between models, so I’d at least say there’s potentially an opportunity to get better value from lower priced models.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- Many people laud the ability of the mattress to reduce pressure points
- Lots of people mention how supportive it feels
Most Common Complaints
- Lots of people mention that the off-gassing smell can linger for more than just a day or two (a common complaint across most models)
- While lots of people are happy with the mattress, many people question the really high price tag
- People generally agree it might be too firm for side sleeping.
Why Would Someone Pick This Model Over The Other Tempur-Pedic Mattresses?
This is a great option for people who want a medium firmness and most sleep on their back or stomach. It could be great for heavier people as well. The extra thickness of the HD material means the mattress is very conforming, so it could potentially be good for people with pain issues as well.
This mattress is well constructed with great materials. It’s not for everyone, and it is pretty expensive, but it could be a good choice for the right type of sleepers.
Check out our main Tempur-Pedic reviews page.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019
- Zinus Vs AmazonBasics Comparison – Which Online Mattress Wins Out? - November 11, 2019
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - November 8, 2019