The Tempur-Contour Supreme is the firmest mattress that Tempur-Pedic offers. As a result, it’s definitely not for everyone (there’s no one best Tempurpedic), but it can be a good option for back and stomach sleepers looking for a firmer option.
The mattress has a removable and washable cover. The comfort layer is just one inch thick and contains Tempur material. Then there is a 2.4 inch thick support layer, also with Tempur material. Below that is a base layer of standard polyfoam. The total thickness of the mattress is 11.5 inches.
The company does not disclose its specifications, possibly out of fear of being knocked off by competitors. However, by knowing the weight and the thickness of the mattress and then comparing it to other mattresses, you can get a sense for the quality of the materials.
For example, Loom and Leaf is a competitor that uses high quality, dense materials. It is 12 inches thick and weighs 93 lbs. The Contour Supreme is 11.5 inches thick and weighs 94 lbs., so somewhere in its construction it uses denser materials than the L&L. Overall, one can conclude that the materials used in the Contour Supreme are high quality and durable.
The company website plainly states that the Contour Supreme is the firmest mattress available in their line (just ahead of the Contour Elite). This makes it ideal for stomach and back sleepers, but it’s not so ideal for side sleepers.
You Might Want To Consider This Mattress If:
- You Are A Stomach Or Back Sleeper– As this mattress is one of the very firmest models that Tempur-Pedic offers, it is ideally suited for back or stomach sleepers.
- You Sleep With A Partner– Tempur-Pedic performs exceptionally well with motion isolation, and the Contour Supreme is no different. If you sleep with a partner who occasionally moves around at night, you want a mattress that keeps motion isolated. The Tempur-Pedic Contour Supreme does exactly that.
- You Want A Memory Foam Mattress Without The Feeling Of Getting Stuck– Because the mattress is so firm, you will never really feel like you are sleeping “in” the mattress and getting stuck. Instead, you will have a more “on” the mattress feel.
You Might Not Want To Consider This Mattress If:
- You Sleep On Your Side– Almost everyone will probably agree that this mattress is too firm for side sleepers. It’s designed to be the firmest option that the company provides, so if you sleep on your side, you should look elsewhere.
- You Like Sleeping “In” The Mattress– If you like sinking in and having the feeling of sleeping “in” the mattress, then you will probably want to look elsewhere. The comfort layer is thin and firm, so you don’t sink in very much at all with this mattress.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- Lots of people note how supportive the mattress feels.
- More than a few people note how the mattress can help with lower back issues.
Most Common Complaints
- Some people note that there’s a faint chemical smell when they first get their mattress. This is common with most foam mattresses and typically goes away in a couple of days.
- The majority of people agree that the mattress is too firm to sleep on one’s side.
- Some people note the firmness level changes based on the temperature of the room
Why Would Someone Pick This Model Over The Other Tempur-Pedic Mattresses?
If you are looking at getting a Tempur-Pedic, then you are probably wondering why you should pick one model over another. In the case of the Tempur-Contour Supreme, the reasons should be pretty clear. It is the firmest model that they have available. If you are a pure back or stomach sleeper and really want that extra firmness, then this mattress might be the way to go. It’s also the cheapest model that they have available, so this mattress will be easier on your wallet. See our comparison of the Contour Supreme and Elite.
This model can be a good option for someone looking for a really firm memory foam option. As with other Tempur-Pedic options, my biggest concern is the price tag. If that’s not an issue for you, then this model could be a good choice.
Make sure to check out our full Tempur-Pedic review.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Vs Mint – Which Mattress Is Right For You? - September 4, 2019
- WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - August 19, 2019
- WinkBeds MemoryLux Mattress Review – Made For Combination Sleepers? - August 5, 2019