The Tempur-Pedic Tempur-Contour Supreme and Elite are two very similar mattresses that both can be a great choice for the right type of person. Given how similar they appear to be, I wanted to do a full-scale investigation into why someone should choose one over the other. It was very difficult to get a lot of good concrete information, but here are my thoughts.
- Both are very firm
- Both have generally the same feel
- Both can potentially be good with those with back pain (as reported by many owners)
- The comfort layer of the Elite is .2” thicker than the Supreme
- The Elite uses Tempur-HD material, while the Supreme uses just Tempur material
- The Elite is 1” thicker than the Supreme overall
- The Supreme is slightly firmer
- The Elite costs $800 more
What I Found From Several Live Chat Sessions
I did multiple live chat sessions with the company and with Mattress Firm in an attempt to get their take on the differences between the two. The most I could get out of this effort was that the Supreme is firmer and costs $800. I couldn’t get any more info than that.
I followed up to ask why the Elite is $800 more. The only answer I got was that the mattress is 1” thicker. The big question for me, therefore, is whether getting one more inch is really that different/much better where you need to pay $800 more.
Which Should You Pick?
- Pick the Supreme if you are extra budget-conscious
- Pick the Supreme if you want the firmest mattress possible
- Pick the Elite if you can afford the extra $800
- Pick the Elite if you want something very firm but not all the way to rock-hard firm
My Personal Opinion?
If you know you want a really firm mattress, then these are two good choices. I can’t quite figure out why the Elite needs to cost $800 more. The differences are so small that the price difference isn’t quite justified in my opinion. However, if you want a firm mattress that isn’t a 10/10 firmness, then the Elite could be a better choice. Otherwise, I think the value of the Supreme is higher given it’s $800 less.
See our overall Tempur-Pedic review.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Awara Mattress Review – A Supportive Latex Hybrid? - April 16, 2019
- GhostBed Vs Casper – Which Should You Choose? - March 26, 2019
- GhostBed Flex Mattress Review – A Cool Hybrid? - March 22, 2019