The Tempur-Contour Elite from Tempur-Pedic is the second firmest mattress that the company offers. It is a pretty popular model, so I was interested to take a deep dive into this model and see what all the fuss is about.
The Tempur-Contour Elite has a removable and washable cover. The comfort layer is 1.2” thick and is made of TEMPUR-HD (HD means high-density) material. The support layer is 2.4” thick and is made of TEMPUR material. The base layer is 8.9” thick.
The company does not disclose the densities of its materials. However, I have a backhand way to tell the quality and durability of the materials used. The total thickness of the mattress is 12.5” and the weight is around 120 lbs for a Queen. The Loom & Leaf Queen is 12” thick and weighs 93 lbs. That mattress uses high-density foams and is almost the exact same thickness as the Tempur-Contour Elite. Given that the Contour Elite weighs 27 more lbs, it is safe to say that the mattress uses really high-density and high-quality materials in its construction.
The company very directly tells you what the firmness level is intended to be (showing they don’t believe there’s one best Tempur-Pedic for everyone). Firmness can be a subjective measure, but the company tells us that this is the second firmest model that they have, being slightly softer than the Contour Supreme.
You Might Want To Pick This Mattress If:
- You Are A Stomach Or Back Sleeper– This mattress is the second firmest model that Tempur-Pedic offers (after the Contour Supreme and just firmer than the Rhapsody Luxe). As a result, it is probably more suited for stomach or back sleepers.
- You Are A Heavier Combo Sleeper– Heavier people will feel that the mattress is softer than lighter people will. That means it could be okay for heavier people sleeping on their side.
- You Sleep WIth A Partner– This model, and Tempur-Pedic in general, does a great job of isolating motion. That means if your partner moves around in the mattress, you generally won’t feel it. That means you won’t get woken up at night as much, and it’s the main reason why this can be a great option for people who sleep with a partner.
- You View Your Purchase As A Long-Term Investment– Tempur-Pedic uses really durable materials, so the mattress should last you a long time. That makes the price tag much easier to bear and makes the purchase more valuable than you might think at first.
You Might Not Want To Pick This Mattress If:
- You Sleep Mainly On Your Side– Just like the Contour Supreme, the mattress is probably too firm for most people who sleep on their side. You just won’t quite get the pressure relief you need.
- You Don’t Anticipate Having The Mattress For A Long Time– The value of Tempur-Pedic really comes from the fact that their mattresses are really durable. If you only plan on having your mattress for 3-4 years, then you won’t see the full value of the mattress and therefore might want to get something less expensive.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- Lots of people mention that the mattress has helped them with back and hip pain relief.
- Many people mentioned they have experienced more restful sleep throughout the night.
Most Common Complaints
- Several people mention the price as a sticking point for them.
- Several people think the mattress was too firm for them (presumably for side sleeping or for lighter weight sleepers).
Why Would Someone Pick This Model Over The Other Tempur-Pedic Mattresses?
If you are a stomach or back sleeper, or if you just know you want a firmer mattress, the Contour Elite could be a good choice for you. The mattress also gives you the opportunity to get a memory foam mattress without sinking in too much. This model could be particularly good for those with lower back pain as well (although I hesitate to make that claim because I’m not a doctor) as it conforms to your exact profile extremely well and is firm and supportive.
For the right person the Contour Elite can be a great choice. It is pretty pricey, but the mattress will last you a long time so it can still be a great value. It’s not for everyone, but if you are a stomach or back sleeper and want a durable mattress for the long-term, this could be an intriguing option for you. I personally think it’s one of the best Tempurpedic mattresses.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Bear Vs. Bear Hybrid Mattress Comparison – Which Is Right For You? - June 19, 2019
- 5 Best Firm Mattresses 2019 - June 13, 2019
- Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Review – A Great Value? - June 3, 2019