We get a lot of emails from people who are interested in the Tempur-Pedic line of mattresses. A lot of people are side sleepers and want to know which models would be most appropriate for them. I will give over my thoughts on this question in this article to hopefully help you make the decision a little bit more clear.
What Should Side Sleepers Look For In General?
If you sleep on your side, pressure relief is going to be a key factor for you. You put your shoulders and hips right into the mattress, and if you can’t get good pressure relief you will not sleep well. You will end up instead tossing and turning and having your shoulder feel numb or in pain. Typically, this means that you want a mattress that is softer and potentially one where the “comfort” layers of the mattress are thicker to allow the mattress that contour well to the curves of your body and not allow you to “bottom out” and hit the firmer support layer(s).
Why You Should Avoid The Contour Collection
The Tempur-Contour collection is the collection of the firmest models Tempur-Pedic has available. These mattresses are more suited for back and stomach sleepers because they are so firm. While it’s nice that they are the most affordable Tempur-Pedic mattresses, at the same time I just think they aren’t appropriate for most side sleepers.
So Which Models Should You Be Looking At?
- Flex Collection– If you want a faster-moving foam feel, then the Flex collection is the way to go. Typically with Tempur-Pedic, the softer the mattress, the more you are going to sink into the mattress and have it envelop you. If you want pressure relief without much of that sinking in feeling, then the Flex collection could be a great fit for you. You also get the support and durability of pocketed innersprings. I would caution you against the Flex Prima, as it might still be too firm for most side sleepers, but the rest should be a good choice.
- Cloud Collection– This is the softest collection and so it is arguably the most appropriate collection for side sleepers. You have to make sure that you like the sinking in feeling of memory foam because there is so much of that in these mattresses. These are also the most expensive models, so you’ll want to make sure they can fit into your budget. The video below shows off the feel of the Cloud Supreme. You can get an idea of how soft it is.
A Couple Notes Of Caution
- You will probably read that a common complaint about Tempur-Pedic is that the mattresses can potentially sleep hot. This is more likely to occur in the softer models (which happen to be great for side sleepers). The more you sink into the mattress, the great the possibility that the mattress will trap heat. In this case, you may want to look at the Breeze models, which do a great job of sleeping cool.
- Unfortunately, the softer the mattress is in the Tempur-Pedic line, the more expensive it is going to be.
- Heavier sleepers typically will think a mattress is softer than a lightweight person will think (for the exact same mattress). This means heavier sleepers can opt for something a little firmer.
Tempur-Pedic is known for its great pressure relief, so there are a lot of good options. If you are willing to invest in a quality mattress, Tempur-Pedic has a lot of great mattresses for side sleepers.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Vs Mint – Which Mattress Is Right For You? - September 4, 2019
- WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - August 19, 2019
- WinkBeds MemoryLux Mattress Review – Made For Combination Sleepers? - August 5, 2019