Sleep Number’s C2 Classic Series model is the most basic and standard of Sleep Number mattresses. It does not come with a lot of bells and whistles, but that’s not always a bad thing. This mattress seems to be a hit with budget-friendly folks, mostly couples, who want the Sleep Number experience.
The C2 mattress is 8 inches thick
(2 inches thicker than the C4 mattress
and made with Rayon/polypropelene fabric blend.
Inside the mattress, you will find one or two air chambers, depending on the size of your mattress. Sleep Number calls this “DualAir™ adjustability” and it allows you to adjust firmness and support on each side of the bed to your Sleep Number setting.
The hoses to pump air into the chamber are 4ft in length.
The C2 model does not have any foam layers inside the mattress but it does have a 2 inch “hypersoft” quilting foam layer woven into the zip-off mattress top.
While the top of the mattress has the ability to be zipped on/off, it is not recommended that you remove or wash any part of your mattress.
Overall, the C2 model is made up of a soft zip-off top layer that has 2 inches of quilting foam and then the adjustable air chamber(s) below.
Your unique Sleep Number number will dictate how firm your mattress is. However, a specialist online told me that the C2 model will be one of the firmer mattresses they offer.
This is most likely because there is no foam inside the mattress. There is a 2-inch layer of foam on the zip-off top of the mattress and nowhere else.
This means that the majority of the firmness will come from the air chamber with a small foam layer on the top, not the air chamber and additional layers like other models.
You Might Want To Consider This If:
- You Like Sleep Number Beds But Don’t Want To Break The Bank: If you love Sleep Number but are on a budget, the C2 Classic Series Adjustable mattress may be your best bet at $899 for a Queen. While some reviewers felt this mattress was too firm, others added 3-inch mattress toppers and thought it was perfect.
- You Sleep With A Partner: Aside from the ability to adjust the firmness of two sides of the mattress, Sleep Number makes something called a FlexFit Adjustable Base. Basically, you can raise the head and/or foot of the bed and in some mattresses, can raise just your side of the bed and leave the other flat (or whatever your partner chooses). FlexFit is not included in the base price of the C2 but is an option you can choose to include (you can also choose to add their Partner Snore technology to FlexFit as well).
- You Are A Back Sleeper: The C2 Classic Series model is very standard and comes with two essential layers – the air chamber and the 2-inch foam zip-off mattress top. With only 8-inches of depth to work with this mattress doesn’t have a lot of cushioning and will most likely be on the firmer side than other models. Many reviewers who liked firm mattresses and slept on their backs liked the feel of the C2.
You Might Not Want To Consider This If:
- You Prefer Memory Foam Mattresses: Sleep Number mattresses are all about using an air chamber built into the mattress that can be used to adjust the firmness, support and comfort levels of the bed. It is less likely that you will “sink” into the bed like you would with a memory foam mattress.
- You Want To Keep It Simple: With Sleep Number mattresses, it is essential that you find your unique Sleep Number and set the bed accordingly to get the maximum comfort out of your mattress. There are several ways to identify your sleep number from home using the remote attached to your bed. This could end up being confusing and/or annoying for some who are unable to find the perfect balance.
- You Are A Heavier Person: the C2 model in the Classic Series of Sleep Number mattresses does not have any additional foam layers inside the mattress. The only foam can be found on the top zip-off portion of the mattress (2-inches thick). While the mattress can support individuals up to 400 pounds, some 300-pound reviewers said they were uncomfortable on the mattress because of the lack of cushioning available. Some chose additional mattress toppers which could be a good (but potentially expensive) workaround.
- You Are A Side Sleeper: Some customers found that the lack of cushion and support in the mattress top made their hips hurt when they slept on their sides. Despite being able to adjust the firmness of your mattress through the air chamber, those with wider hips who like to sleep on their sides may prefer another model that provides additional layers of foam inside the mattress.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- Reviewers love that it is adjustable on the fly. You can change the firmness easily with the remote. You can also adjust the angle of the top and bottom if you purchase the FlexFit Adjustable Base.
- The C2 model requires no mattress rotation at all because it does not have a layer of foam inside the mattress like the other models.
- Not sure if this is praise exactly, but many (many) reviewers added a mattress topper of their choosing to this mattress and loved the results.
- Couples loved that they could customize their half of the bed to whatever firmness they desired. Especially for couples who has one partner who likes firm beds and another who likes softer, this seems to be a big selling point.
Most Common Complaints
- The beds can be high maintenance. If something goes wrong or needs repairs it seems like a hassle to go through their customer service system and send out a technician, often for an additional fee despite the 25-year service warranty.
- The mattress requires a full, flat surface underneath to provide the right support. You may have to purchase a new base for the Sleep Number mattress if your current box spring isn’t flat enough. The C2 models do not come standard with a base pad but can be purchased at an additional price.
- In C2 models with dual air chambers, some reviewers found that the middle of the bed (the space in between the air chambers) started sagging after a few years of wear.
- Side sleepers, particularly those with larger hips, found the mattress to be uncomfortable when they slept on their sides. The 2-inch layer of foam in the top portion of the mattress did not seem to be enough
Why Pick This Over Other Sleep Numbers?
The C2 model is the most basic Sleep Number mattress offered. It is also the least expensive. If someone was looking for a Sleep Number bed but did not want to break the bank then this could be a good option.
Every other Sleep Number bed offers a layer of foam inside the mattress. The C2 simply provides 2-inches of foam to the top portion of the zip-off mattress. Many people felt that they saved money by purchasing this model and providing their own 2 or 3-inch mattress topper.
This model can be great for an individual – or couple – who want the benefits of an adjustable Sleep Number bed but don’t want to spend over $1,000 on a mattress. Because it is the simplest model it has the least cushioning and can be too firm for those who sleep on their sides (despite the adjustable air chamber). Purchasing your own mattress topper and adding it to the mattress seemed to be a very popular idea and made many reviewers very happy overall.