Casper Essential and GhostBed are both budget-friendly foam mattresses that are sold online. These bed-in-a-box options have some differences that will make each mattress appeal more to different types of sleepers. We’ll compare them here in this post.
- Both are all-foam mattresses.
- Both have three layers.
- Both have bouncy surfaces.
- Both incorporate memory foam.
- Both offer trials of roughly 100 days. (GhostBed’s is 101 days.)
- Both offer free shipping.
- GhostBed costs a bit more ($495 to $995 for GhostBed; $350 to $725 for Casper Essential).
- Casper Essential is thinner. (Ghostbed is 11″ thick, Casper Essential is 8.5″ thick.)
- Casper Essential is softer.
- GhostBed uses latex.
- Casper uses Certi-PUR certified foams. This certification means these materials are considered more eco-friendly than typical mattress materials.
Casper Essential Construction
- Casper Essential’s cover is a soft, poly-knit material.
- The top layer is 2″ of springy, breathable, open-celled “Fusion Foam.”
- The middle layer is 1.5″ of memory foam. This responsive foam conforms to your contours.
- The support layer is 4.5″ of durable polyfoam.
- GhostBed’s removeable viscose cover is soft and breathable.
- On top is 1.5″ of proprietary “Aerated” latex with small holes in it. This latex sleeps cooler than memory foam and is more springy.
- In the middle is 2″ of proprietary gel memory foam that is formulated to sleep cool. This layer provides contouring support.
- The support layer is 7.5″ of dense core foam.
- Both are comprised of three layers of foam.
- Both have springy surfaces.
- Because it has a latex surface, GhostBed is a little more bouncy.
- GhostBed is firmer.
- Casper Essential is softer and has more of a memory foam feel.
- Casper Essential is thinner.
- GhostBed offers more support for heavier-weight sleepers.
Both mattresses are responsive. Casper is softer and has more give.
Motion Transfer Differences
Casper Essential isolates motion a little better because it is softer. Ghostbed also does a pretty good job, so I would say the differences are pretty small.
Pick Casper Essential If …
- You sleep on your side. Casper Essential is softer and will conform better to your contours. I believe it is therefore more appropriate for side sleepers who need that extra pressure relief.
- You are lightweight. This thin mattress is great for kids, teens, and other lightweight sleepers who don’t need a ton of extra support.
Pick GhostBed If …
- You sleep on your stomach or back. GhostBed is firmer and more supportive overall. This makes it a better choice (in my opinion) for stomach and back sleepers.
- You need extra support. GhostBed is thicker and will support more weight, which is good for couples and adults who are bigger than most teenagers.
These mattresses have some similarities in construction, but ultimately they differ in firmness and support. Both are fairly budget-friendly. Hopefully this comparison helped you determine which is better for you. Please leave any specific questions about Casper Essential or GhostBed in the comments. I am happy to provide a personal recommendation if you want to leave some information about yourself and your preferences in the comments.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019
- Zinus Vs AmazonBasics Comparison – Which Online Mattress Wins Out? - November 11, 2019
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - November 8, 2019