Casper Essential and Leesa are both all-foam mattresses with relatively simple constructions. Where these bed-in-a-box options differ is in their feel and price. We’ll go over how they compare in this post to help you decide which better aligns with your preferences.
- Both are all-foam mattresses.
- Both have three layers.
- Both have responsive surfaces.
- Both offer 100-day trials.
- Both offer free shipping.
- Leesa is a little more expensive ($525 to $1,070 for Leesa; $350 to $725 for Casper Essential).
- Leesa is thicker. (The mattress is 10″ thick, compared to Casper Essential’s 8.5″.)
- Leesa can support more weight.
- Leesa does not use latex but has a latex-like feel.
- Casper Essential uses memory foam and has more of a memory foam feel.
- Casper Essential is softer.
- Casper uses Certi-Pur certified foams. This certification means these materials are considered more eco-friendly than typical mattress materials.
Casper Essential Construction
- The cover is made from a soft, poly-knit material.
On top is a 2″ layer of springy, breathable polyfoam. Casper calls this open-celled material “Fusion Foam.”
- The middle layer is 1.5″ of responsive memory foam. This foam helps the Essential conform to your contours.
- 4.5″ of durable polyfoam make up the support layer.
- Leesa’s top layer is 2″ of latex-like Avena foam. This foam provides comfort and contour support while giving the mattress a springy, firm surface feel.
- As with the Essential, Leesa’s middle layer is memory foam. This supportive layer is 2″ thick.
- The base layer is 6″ of high-density foam.
- Both are all-foam and have no coils.
- Both are three layers thick.
- Both have good bounce.
- Casper is softer and has more of a memory foam feel.
- Leesa is firmer and has more of a latex feel.
- Leesa is thicker and more supportive.
Both mattresses are responsive and return to shape quickly, but Leesa is firmer while Casper Essential is more soft and elastic. Check out the videos below to see the firmness and feel differences in action.
Motion Transfer Differences
Casper Essential has an edge in preventing motion transfer, because it is softer than Leesa.
Pick Casper Essential If …
- You are on a budget. Casper Essential costs between about $200 and $300 less than Leesa (depending on size).
- You are light and sleep on your side. Casper Essential is softer and thinner. This means it will provide better support for side sleepers who are looking for something that conforms to their contours; it also means the mattress can only support so much weight. The mattress is a good option for children and relatively small adults.
Pick Leesa If …
- You sleep on your stomach or back. Leesa is firmer and more supportive, potentially making it more appropriate for stomach and back sleepers.
- You weigh more. Leesa is thicker and can support more weight.
These mattresses follow a similar formula: Three foam layers, with the top layer defining the feel of the mattress. But in virtually all other respects, the models compared here are pretty different. Hopefully this comparison has helped you decide which you might prefer. Please leave any specific questions about Leesa or Casper in the comments.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Casper Vs Casper Hybrid – Which Is Best For You? - May 15, 2019
- 40 Aphrodisiacs From Around the World – Does Sleep Make The List? - May 1, 2019
- Casper Hybrid Mattress Review – How Does It Compare To The Original? - April 24, 2019