There are so many fantastic bed-in-a-box mattresses out there, but what is the best deal? What is the best value?
When we’re looking for a value mattress, it doesn’t necessarily mean the cheapest mattress. Rather, what is the best mattress for the money? What gives you the most bang for your buck?
Well, there are six mattresses that really fit these criteria. They have a lot to offer in terms of durability, comfort, and overall quality.
Which one is the best fit for you? Read on for my full list of best mattresses for the money.
The Saatva is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top. It has a good balance of comfort and support so it should be a good match for all three sleeping positions.
The Purple features a unique gel grid that is both pressure relieving and supportive at the same time. It is also a very durable material so this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
Value Memory Foam
The Nectar is a memory foam mattress with that great soft quicksand feel. It is a great choice for back and side sleepers.
Balanced Foam Feel
The GhostBed is a firmer mattress with a balanced foam feel. It is a great option for back and stomach sleepers.
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Signature is a quality hybrid mattress sold at a value price. It should be a great match for all three sleeping positions.
The Zinus is a very affordable memory mattress with multiple firmness options. Fans of memory foam should be able to find the right mattress for them.
Top Picks Compared
The Saatva is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top. Fans of traditional innerspring mattresses should really enjoy the Saatva. You get the softness of a pillow top and the firmness of coils. It really has a great balance of comfort and support.
So, it should be a great match for all three sleeping positions. On your back, your hips sink into the top layer but not too far. On your side, the pillow top offers great pressure relief. Finally, on your stomach, you should feel great overall support.
The construction also makes this a very durable mattress. The coils are high-grade and the top pillow layer is also very high-quality. This should be a longer-lasting mattress.
When you consider the comfort, support, and durability, you would expect the mattress to cost two or three times what it does. You get a great, long-lasting innerspring mattress without having to pay an exorbitant price.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- It offers a great balance of comfort and support. You get the softness of a pillow top and the support of coils.
- The mattress should be a great fit for all three sleeping positions. Back and stomach sleepers will get enough support, while side sleepers should feel nice pressure relief.
- The mattress includes very durable materials. It is a value when you think about how long the mattress will last.
- The coils allow for a good amount of airflow. This makes the mattress more breathable so you shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Saatva.
- The Saatva should even be able to handle larger weights. Heavier back sleepers and side sleepers should find the Saatva to be a good fit.
Check out our full Saatva mattress review
The Purple mattress is very unique in that it includes a hyper-elastic gel polymer in its top layer. The hyper-elastic gel polymer forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure relieving at the same time. Basically, it stays firm until a certain amount of pressure is applied. Then, it only collapses under that specific area.
Because of this, the Purple is a great mattress for all three sleeping positions. When you’re on your back, the gel grid collapses under your hips but nowhere else. When you are on your side, it just collapses under your hips and shoulders. On your stomach, the mattress stays flat and supportive.
I will note that lightweight and medium-weight side sleepers might think the Purple is a bit too firm. They might not activate this gel layer and could feel some firmness on their shoulders and hips.
However, this gel grid is also a very durable material. With memory foam, you will notice some sagging over time. However, this gel grid should not sag and your body should not leave an indentation.
While this is not the most affordable mattress on this list it is probably the most durable. When you take this into account, the Purple is a great mattress for the money. It is a comfortable yet supportive mattress that will last you for many years to come.
What Makes The Purple Stand Out?
- It has a very unique gel grid on top. It is both supportive and comfortable at the same time.
- The Purple should be a good fit for all three sleeping positions. It is supportive enough for back and stomach sleepers and comfortable enough for side sleepers.
- The gel grid is a very durable material. It should stand up to years of use so the Purple should be a good long-term investment.
- The gel grid also allows for a lot of airflow. This creates a temperature neutral sleeping surface, and you shouldn’t be overheating on the Purple.
- The Purple could even be a good match for people of larger weights. However, there is also the New Purple mattresses to consider if you need an even thicker comfort layer.
Read our full Purple mattress review
Value Memory Foam
The Nectar is a memory foam mattress with that classic quicksandy feel. When you lie on the Nectar, you slowly sink into the mattress and feel it envelop you.
The mattress is a great fit for back and side sleepers. Lying on your back, you should feel your hips sink into the mattress while the top layer also presses up into your lumbar area. This soft memory foam mattress will contour to the shape of your body very effectively.
When you move to your side, you should feel great pressure relief on your shoulders and hips. You will sink into the mattress and feel the pressure melt away.
This a very high-quality memory foam mattress that I would expect to cost much more. However, Nectar makes their mattresses overseas and are able to sell them for less than many memory foam mattresses.
If you are looking for a soft memory foam mattress and want to save some money, the Nectar should be a great choice.
What Makes The Nectar Stand Out?
- It features a classic memory foam feel. The memory foam is not very soft and you should feel yourself slowly sink into the mattress.
- The Nectar is a great choice for back and side sleepers.
- You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Nectar. The cover and top foam layers are all designed to help you sleep cool at night.
- It is a great value option for those who like soft memory foam.
Read the full Nectar mattress review
Balanced Foam Feel
The GhostBed is a firmer bed-in-a-box mattress with latex on top of memory foam. Its firmness makes it a great option for back and stomach sleepers. Even people of larger weights should get the support they need on the GhostBed.
While the mattress is a bit firmer, it has a balanced foam feel that gives you a combination of memory foam and latex. There is some of that memory foam give, but the mattress is still very responsive. It shouldn’t be difficult to move around on the GhostBed.
These latex and memory foam layers are also high-density and very durable. The GhostBed is already affordable but, when you consider its durability, it is also a great long-term investment.
What Makes The GhostBed Stand Out?
- The GhostBed is a firmer mattress that should be a good fit for back and stomach sleepers.
- It has a balanced foam feel that combines latex and memory foam qualities. It should be easy to move around without getting stuck.
- It features durable components and should be a longer-lasting mattress. It is a good value when you think about how long it will last.
Read our full GhostBed mattress review
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a hybrid mattress with coils and two-latex like layers. This construction gives the mattress a good balance of comfort and support.
This design means the Signature is a good option for all three sleeping positions. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers should feel proper support. Side sleepers should also feel nice pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
Also, the coils and other layers are also very durable. They should stand up to quite a bit of use and this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
Finally, Brooklyn Bedding is able to sell all their mattresses at a lower price because they own their own factory. They are able to skip the middleman and pass the savings onto the customer.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a great hybrid mattress sold at a value price.
What Makes The Signature Stand Out?
- It is a great match for all three sleeping positions. It is supportive enough for back and stomach sleepers and comfortable enough for side sleepers.
- The mattress features very durable components. This should be a solid long-term investment.
- Brooklyn Bedding owns their own factory and sells their mattresses for a fraction of the price.
- The company also offers other value mattresses like the Bowery, Aurora, and Spartan.
Check out the full Signature mattress review
The Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress is a memory foam mattress with options. You can choose from the 8”, 10”, 12”, or 14” models. Each model has a different firmness and is a good fit for different types of sleepers.
Having reviewed the 12” model, I can say that it is a high-quality mattress with that classic slow-moving memory foam feel. Those who like to slowly sink into their mattress should like one of the Zinus Cooling Gel mattress models.
The Zinus is the most affordable mattress on this list, as it is currently priced under $350 for a Queen deal. They make their mattresses overseas and this allows them to keep the price very low.
If you want to save a lot of money and still get a comfortable memory foam mattress, the Zinus should be a good option for you.
What Makes The Zinus Stand Out?
- You have many firmness options to choose from. You should be able to find the right mattress to fit your sleeping preferences.
- The mattress has that classic memory foam feel where you slowly sink into the mattress.
- The Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress is a very good value. It is a comfortable memory foam mattress sold at a very affordable price.
- The memory foam handles motion transfer very well. The Zinus mattresses should be a good mattress for couples.
Read our full Zinus mattress review
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses:
Out of this list, there are three mattresses that are a great pick for heavier people like myself.
First, we have the Saatva. The Saatva has coils and a pillow top. It has a great balance of comfort and support. When I am on my back, my hips sink in but not too far. When I am on my side, I feel surprisingly good pressure relief.
Next, we have the Purple. This is a great match for all three sleeping positions. This is because of the hyper-elastic gel polymer you find on top. This is designed to only collapse under the heavier parts of your body. When I’m on my back, it only collapses under my hips and butt. When I am on my side, it only collapses under my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, the mattress doesn’t collapse at all.
Finally, we have the GhostBed. Now, this is firmest of these three mattresses. On my back and my stomach, I feel fantastic support. I don’t sink in too far at all.
So, if you’re a larger person like me, one of these mattresses should work for you.
If you are looking for a mattress, it is always smart to consider your bodyweight. If you are a larger person looking for good value mattress, the Saatva, Purple, and GhostBed should be good options.
How To Get The Most For Your Money
Watch Out For Deals And Sales
Mattress retailers are known for having sales at fairly predictable times of the year. President’s Day, for example, is a pretty common time to find lots of mattress sales. A good portion of the sales also fall around holiday times such as the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Memorial Day.
If you are looking to purchase a mattress in a store or online, take a look at when the standard mattress sales are happening and consider waiting until then to get that extra value from your purchase.
Also, keep an eye out for bundles. Many retailers offer pillows, sheet sets, and even foundations with the purchase of your mattress. If you are in need of a full bedroom set, you should factor this kind of deal into your decision-making process.
Think About The Durability Of Each Mattress
The phrase “you get what you pay for” is especially true when it comes to mattresses. The range in durability from one mattress to the next can be pretty substantial. If you save $300 on a mattress, but it wears out in five years, are you really getting a good value? Compare that to a mattress that costs $300 more but wears out after 10 to 12 years? Which is the better deal?
Before purchasing a mattress, consider how long you want to have the mattress and then read reviews to make sure you know how long you can expect the mattress to last.
You may be paying more for certain materials up front, but the mattress will pay for itself with its extra years of use.
Doing The Work To Make Your Mattress Last
- Buy a mattress protector. It may seem like more money, but a mattress protector could add years to your mattress. It protects against stains and messes, and many warranties require you to use a mattress protector.
- Make sure your mattress is supported. The majority of mattresses require a box spring, foundation, or bed to ensure your mattress wears evenly. Also, some warranties may be voided if you don’t use the correct foundation.
- Don’t bounce on the bed. If you have kids, they may enjoy jumping on the bed. However, this can damage your mattress, especially if it has coils.
- Keep food out of the bed. It may be nice to eat a few cookies in bed, but those crumbs could attract bugs. If you are going to eat in bed, change your sheets frequently.
- Flip your mattress regularly. While many online mattresses are not flippable, there are still some mattresses that benefit from regular flipping. This cuts down on the wear and body indentation that can affect sleeping surfaces.
- Spot-clean any messes immediately. Accidents do happen. If you make a mess, carefully clean it at once. Take a look at your mattress’s materials and use cleaners that won’t damage the mattress. Learn more about cleaning your mattress here.
Consider Where You Purchase Your Mattress
A vast majority of people now buy their mattresses online. That’s largely because online shopping offers greater convenience, and many brick-and-mortar mattress stores can be confusing when it comes to their models, pricing, and firmness scales.
While you can’t try out an online mattress the way you can in a mattress store, they often come with sleep trials. These allow you to try out the mattress for a few months (100 days is a common trial length) and return it if you are unhappy.
In addition, many online mattresses are more affordable than their in-store counterparts. They have less overhead and have cut out the middlemen to pass savings directly to you. In addition, some companies own their own factories, which allows them to keep prices even lower.
There are also a few hidden-gem companies out there that spend very little on marketing, and they pass on the savings to the customer in the form of a lower price. This is a subtle nuance, but there are definitely extra savings to be had if you can find a company with a great product that doesn’t spend a lot on marketing.
Also, some companies make their mattresses overseas. This allows them to cut down on costs and pass the savings on to you.
Take A Close Look At Trial Periods And Warranties
Most mattress companies (both online and brick-and-mortar) offer warranties. In addition, most online mattresses come with a sleep trial.
While these can be very helpful and save you money if you have problems, make sure you have a firm understanding of the fine print. Some warranties will be voided without the proper foundation or care. Also, some trial periods don’t include free shipping. If you don’t like the product, you may have to pay to return it.
Watch Out For Shipping / Taxes
If you purchase online, you should check to see if you will have to pay for shipping or not. A lot of the new companies offer free shipping, but not all do. You may think you’re getting a great deal, but it never feels good to get hit with unexpected shipping costs during the checkout process.
Similarly, depending on where you live, you may have to pay sales taxes as well. It’s another cost that you probably don’t think about but that you may or may not be responsible for paying.
Also, keep a lookout for companies that offer “White Glove Delivery.” With this option, movers will bring the mattress to your door, set it up, and take away the trash. This can be very worth it, especially if you are dealing with a heavy mattress or your bedroom is not on the first floor.
These extra costs probably shouldn’t make or break your decision, but it’s an added bonus if you don’t have to pay them.
Buying a mattress can be quite intimidating. There are so many things to think about in order to ensure your money is well spent. Using this guide, you should be able to find the right mattress for you (and at the right price). Just relax, follow these steps, and you’ll be able to enjoy a great value with your next mattress.
Featured image: craig hill/Shutterstock
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Awara Mattress Review – A Supportive Latex Hybrid? - April 16, 2019
- GhostBed Vs Casper – Which Should You Choose? - March 26, 2019
- GhostBed Flex Mattress Review – A Cool Hybrid? - March 22, 2019