Weighted blankets are so popular right now – it seems everywhere I turn, there is a new article about the potential benefits of weighted blankets!
Well, I have tried and reviewed many of the top brands on the market, and I can say that weighted blankets really do work; they make it significantly easier to fall asleep, stay asleep, and they even cut down on my anxiety.
However, which ones are the absolute best? That’s what we’re here to talk about today – I’ve chosen my picks for the best weighted blankets; there’s something here for everyone, so read on!
Our Top Picks
Our top weighted blankets are:
- Bearaby Tree Napper – Editor’s Pick
- Sleep Number True Temp Weighted Blanket – Best Cooling Weighted Blanket
- Gravity Weighted Blanket – Best Weighted Blanket for Anxiety
- Hush Weighted Blanket – Best Weighted Blanket for Couples
- Casper Weighted Blanket – Best Weight Distribution
- Layla Weighted Blanket – Best Machine Washable Weighted Blanket
- Luna Weighted Blanket – Best Weighted Blanket for Kids
- Brooklyn Bedding Weighted Blanket – Best Weighted Blanket for Adults
There are so many weighted blankets out there, and there is no one right option for everyone; this list is comprised of weighted blankets that should work for different types of sleepers.
Bearaby Tree Napper
To be the Editor’s Pick means a product has to be just about perfect in all categories. The Bearaby Tree Napper hit a lot of things we look for in a weighted blanket, so let’s talk about what made this stand out as the best weighted blanket for us.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Tree Napper is that is has a unique structure – it’s completely knitted! These chunky, loose-knit loops promote good airflow. This makes this weighted blanket a great pick for hot sleepers.
When we changed positions while using this blanket, we felt the loops open up and let some air flow through. Even the tencel fabric is cool to touch and moisture-wicking. Overheating is a non-issue with this blanket.
More surprising, the knit structure uses thick, doubled up fabric. There’s no filler in this blanket – the weight just comes from the fabric! Because of this, we felt the weight of this blanket all over us. Without a fill to shift around in panels, this blanket will stay in place and give you that hugging sensation you look for in a weighted blanket.
What Makes The Bearaby Tree Napper Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- Weight options range from 15 – 25 lbs, giving most body types what they need in a weighted blanket.
- It’s nearly perfect across the board! You won’t overheat, you feel good weight distribution, and it’s even machine washable.
- Bearaby is all about weighted blankets, and they have models of this blanket that fit other needs, too!
Learn more in our Bearaby Tree Napper weighted blanket review.
The Bearaby Napper is a unique weighted blanket that is a good match for hot sleepers and those who like a throw-size blanket. Click the button for the best deal on Bearaby.
Best Cooling Weighted Blanket
Sleep Number True Temp Weighted Blanket
With things like fills and added layers, some weighted blankets will make you feel especially warm. However, Sleep Number has devised a weighed blanket that should actually help you stay at a comfortable temperature. The True Temp weighted blanket features a removable outer cover designed for temperature regulation and cooling.
The cover is infused with Sleep Number’s proprietary 37.5 active particle technology. This helps the cover adapt to your body temperature. If you’re feeling too hot, the blanket will dissipate the heat. If you’re too cold, the blanket will feel nice and warm.
This cover also has moisture-wicking capabilities, meaning you won’t feel sweaty underneath this blanket either. There’s a lot to love about this weighted blanket.
What Makes The True Temp Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- Weight options of 12 and 20 lbs make this good for average weight adults.
- The temperature regulating cover makes this blanket feel nice and cool when you need it to.
- The removable cover is machine washable.
Learn more in our Sleep Number True Temp weighted blanket review.
The Sleep Number True Temp weighted blanket helps regulate body temperature and alleviate stress. Click the link below for the best deal on this high-tech weighted blanket!
Best Weighted Blanket for Anxiety
Gravity Weighted Blanket
We know weighted blankets should feel like a hug, but that’s because hugs should make us feel calm. It’s been proven that weighted blankets have calming qualities about them.
If you’re in the market for a weighted blanket, chances are you’ve heard of Gravity. This brand is one of the most popular weighted blanket brands out there, and for good reason.
We love the Gravity weighted blanket for many reasons. But we especially love its super soft minky, duvet-style outer cover made from polyester. It even features a zipper system and ties to help keep the inner blanket in place.
RELATED: Best Weighted Blankets for Anxiety
Speaking of the inner blanket, the weight distribution is fairly good, too. The soft cover and weight distribution helps simulate something called Deep Touch Pressure. This sensation creates a hugging sensation, and it should help you feel more relaxed.
This blanket comes in a variety of weight options, too! It ranges from 15 to 25lbs, and you can even get a king sized blanket that weighs 35lbs. With a wide range of weight options, great weight distribution, and a soft cover, you should definitely feel calm and secure under the Gravity. And, hopefully, wake up the next morning feeling refreshed and less anxious!
What Makes The Gravity Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- Because it has different weight options, it works for many body types.
- Very soft outer cover plus really good weight distribution equals a super calming effect.
- It’s made of high-quality materials and is quite durable.
Learn more in our Gravity weighted blanket review.
The Gravity Blanket is a high-quality, throw-sized weighted blanket that features a very comfortable duvet cover.
Best Weighted Blanket for Couples
Hush Weighted Blanket
Not every weighted blanket comes in that standard throw blanket size (which typically measures 50″ x 60″). Some weighted blankets can fit queen or even king sized beds! Why is this great? Well, that means more than one person can bundle up under a weighted blanket.
The Hush Weighted Blanket comes in standard throw blanket measurements, but this company also sells their blankets in queen and king sizes. They even recommend that these bigger blankets shouldn’t be used by a single person.
So, that’s what makes the Hush weighted blanket a perfect option for couples looking to get the calming effects of a weighted blanket. These two blankets range from 20 to 35lbs. When it comes to determining what’s best for you and your partner, you’ll use the 10% rule, but apply it to your combined weight.
What Makes The Hush Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- Bigger sizes make it great for couples.
- It has a removable outer cover that’s “minky,” which feels nice and soft.
- If the cover isn’t for you, don’t worry, you can still use the inner blanket as-is.
Hush has a variety of different bedding products, but their standard weighted blanket is going to hit all your weighted blanket needs. It features a removable cover and even comes in queen and king sizes for you to use with your partner!
Best Weight Distribution
Casper Weighted Blanket
For some people, weighted blankets feel like hugs. So, naturally, we don’t want the fill of the blanket to bunch up on one side. Casper prides themselves on having exceptional weight distribution in their weighted blanket, and we agree!
The stitching on this blanket is designed to emulate winter outer wear — you know the jacket we’re talking about. Instead of the more traditional square panels, Casper’s weighted blanket has long, rectangular quilted panels. this design helps keep the fill where it needs to be.
Overall, you’ll feel that hugging sensation with the Casper weighted blanket, especially with the weight options ranging from 10 to 20lbs.
What Makes The Casper Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- It has a different stitching pattern to ensure a perfectly even weight distribution.
- The cover is made of cotton, which is nice and breathable. You’ll feel warm, but you shouldn’t overheat with this blanket.
- Average weight people will find weight options just for them.
Learn more in our Casper weighted blanket review.
The Casper weighted blanket features fantastic weight distribution and is an effective weighted blanket for hot sleepers.
Best Machine Washable Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets often create a Deep Touch Pressure sensation, which helps us release serotonin and feel calmer. So, naturally, we want these blankets to last a long time. In our experience, the Layla weighed blanket is the best for easy care!
Whenever the Layla weighted blanket gets dirty, you can just throw the whole thing into the washing machine. This is especially impressive because it doesn’t have an outer cover. Blankets without an outer cover tend to be spot clean only.
With three weight options available, most body types should find what they need in this weighted blanket. Plus, if you like options, this blanket has two different sides to it. The top side is made of soft, plush, mink-like fur, while the other side is made of 100% cotton. Pick the side that feels most comfortable to you!
What Makes The Layla Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- The whole blanket is machine washable!
- It comes in 15, 20, and 25lb options, so it works for a wide variety of body types.
- It helps mimic that Deep Pressure Touch sensation to make you feel calm.
Learn more in our Layla weighted blanket review.
The Layla Weighted Blanket features Layla's signature hexagon grid pattern, and is filled with glass beads. This weight should simulate Deep Touch Pressure, which will help you feel calmer and safer under this blanket.
Best Weighted Blanket for Kids
We love Luna for a lot of reasons but what makes them really stand out is simple: they have tons of options. Their blankets can cover adults easily, but with two low weight options of 5 and 7 lbs, kids can enjoy the weighted blanket benefits, too.
If you’re a parent who finds themself with a child who needs a little more stress relief in their life, then a weighted blanket could be the way to go. Using the 10% rule as a guide, children starting at around 50lbs will enjoy the 5lb weighted blanket.
What Makes The Luna Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- Weight options galore! Starting at 5lbs and going as heavy as 25lbs, Luna has options for many different body types.
- Luna knows gives a portion of their proceeds to Mental Health of America.
- It has many cooling features, so you shouldn’t overheat under this blanket.
Learn more in our Luna weighted blanket review.
The Luna an affordable, effective weighted blanket that comes in many sizes and weights. Click the button for the best deal on Luna.
Best Weighted Blanket For Adults
Adults want to feel great stress relief, too. So, one of the best weighted blankets for adults has to be the Brooklyn Bedding Weighted Blanket.
We loved this weighted blanket for adults for a few different reasons. This blanket is a great option for more average weight adults. Using the 10% rule, anyone around 130lbs to 230lbs will find what they need in the 15 or 20lb blankets.
No one wants to fuss around with spot cleaning. The good news is, this weighted blanket comes with a removable cover that you can just throw into the washing machine. It’s that easy!
What Makes The Brooklyn Bedding Weighted Blanket Stand Out?
- Average weight adults will love the weight options.
- It’s easy to care for. Simply throw the removable cover into the washing machine.
- Out of all the weighted blankets out there, it’s one of the more affordable options.
Learn more in our Brooklyn Bedding weighted blanket review.
The Brooklyn Bedding Weighted Blanket comes with a dual-sided cover that offers two feels and experiences. Click the button for the best deal on the Brooklyn Bedding.
What Are Weighted Blankets?
Weighted blankets and vests are conventionally used as a therapy tool, particularly for children who have autism or sensory issues. The idea is that weighted blankets provide something called deep pressure stimulation or deep touch pressure.
“Deep touch pressure is the type of surface pressure that is exerted in most types of firm touching, holding, stroking, petting of animals, or swaddling,” autism expert Temple Grandin explains on her website. “Occupational therapists have observed that a very light touch alerts the nervous system, but deep pressure is relaxing and calming.”
The idea is that a weighted blanket or vest gives your body a feeling that it’s enjoying a “warm hug,” which can be soothing. This helps explain why one study found deep touch pressure helped people feel less anxious at the dentist’s office while they were awake.
RELATED: Best Weighted Blankets For Anxiety
Can A Weighted Blanket Help Me Sleep?
Research on weighted blankets for sleep isn’t particularly conclusive.
One study (which focused on children with autism) concluded that weighted blankets didn’t help the subjects sleep any better — but that the participants liked the feel of the blankets anyway. Another study (which was funded by a weighted blanket manufacturer) found the use of a weighted blanket at night helped participants sleep more soundly.
Experts generally agree that a weighted blanket will rarely if ever cause adverse effects, so trying one probably isn’t a risk. But if you have any breathing or circulation problems, it’s a good idea to check in with your doctor before using a weighted blanket.
While it’s not guaranteed that a weighted blanket will help you sleep better, most users do agree that weighted blankets can have a calming effect. And calming down before bed is always a good thing for folks looking to enjoy a sound night of sleep.
Top Weighted Blanket Considerations
- Weight. If someone is buying a weighted blanket they should, of course, find the right weight for them. Most weighted blanket producers recommend that customers select a blanket that is 10% of their body weight, adding or subtracting one or two pounds; some companies offer more options than others, making it significantly easier to find that ideal weight.
- Weight distribution. Once someone selects the right weight, they also want to consider how it is distributed throughout the blanket; will they feel an even amount of weight across the whole blanket, or will certain areas feel heavier or lighter? For maximum effect, select a blanket where the weight is dispersed evenly across the entire body.
- Warmth and breathability. Because of their heavier fills and layers of fiber, weighted blankets are rarely the best at sleeping cool; that being said, some are particularly more breathable than others. Potential buyers definitely want to consider their sleeping environment and what time of year they will be employing the weighted blanket.
- Budget. Weighted blankets for adults range in price from about $90 to over $300, depending on the size and weight of the blanket and its materials.
One of these blankets should be an excellent match for pretty much anyone – those who want to keep looking should just keep the above criteria in mind, and it should be easy to make an informed decision!
What is the best weighted blanket?
There are many fantastic weighted blankets currently on the market, but the one that really stands out among the rest is the Bearaby Napper; it offers the deep tissue pressure weighted blanket users are looking for, but it comes with a particularly interesting design. The weight of the Bearaby Napper comes from 100% cotton fiber that has been woven back and forth upon itself; there are no glass beads like one finds inside the majority of weighted blankets. In addition, the Bearaby is one of the most effective weighted blankets I have reviewed and offers a massaging experience and more of a deep, soothing hug.
How do I choose a weighted blanket?
The main thing to consider when choosing a weighted blanket is, of course, weight; most weighted blanket companies recommend that customers select a blanket that is close to 10% of one's body weight. A few extra or fewer pounds can also be added depending on someone's preferences.
Do weighted blankets make you hot?
In short, yes; weighted blankets contain very heavy fill that leaves less room for airflow. Because of this, many complain that weighted blankets make them overheat; that being said, companies such as Luxome offer cooling weighted blankets that are manufactured to offset this added heat.
Do weighted blankets work?
Yes, they do work; studies have shown that weighted blankets can make it significantly easier to fall asleep and stay asleep. What's more, they have been proven to assist in the treatment of health conditions such as anxiety, depression, ADHD, and restless leg syndrome.
Tony is a staff writer at Mattress Clarity where he analyzes sleep products and appears in review videos. He earned a B.A in English from Sam Houston State University and a M.A in Mass Communication from Texas State University.
When he isn’t writing about sleep products, Tony loves to unwind with a good book or can be found playing Pokemon Go outside with his friends, or cuddling with his cat, Penguin. He’s always down to try a new, local restaurant and try new foods.