The HoMedics SoundSpa sound machine is a travel-friendly and easy-to-use sound machine that gives you six different sound options. The sound volume goes up to a max of about 85 dB and can be adjusted via a knob on the machine.
What other features does it have and is it the right sound machine for your needs? Watch my video review or read all about my experience below. Don’t hesitate to comment below if you have questions or want a personal recommendation!
- It comes in one size. The dimensions are 6.5″ x 6″ x 2″ and it weighs 8 oz
- The sound machine comes with six sounds: White Noise, Thunder, Ocean, Rain, Summer Night, and Brook
- An auto-timer lets you choose how long you listen – 15, 30, 60 minutes or don’t set a time and it will play continuously
- The volume control adjusts the volume of the sounds – we tested it at just over 85 dB max
- The machine is compact and lightweight for travel
- It can be plugged into a wall outlet with its adapter (included) or powered by 4 ‘AA’ batteries (not included)
- You can purchase it online or in-store at a variety of retailers for around $20; return policies may vary
Who Makes It?
HoMedics is a company that provides products to make your home environment more comfortable. In addition to a variety of sound machines and white noise machines, they also make massage products, air filters, humidifiers, sleep aids, and fitness monitors, among other products.
You can find HoMedics products at a wide range of retailers, both online and in-store.
RELATED: Best Mattress 2019 – Which Mattress Should You Get?
- It effectively masks disruptive noises
- The machine is affordable and easy to find at many stores
- It’s compact and easy to travel with (adapter or battery operated)
- The different sound options and volume options make it easy to find something that works for each individual
- The small green LED light that indicates the power is on can be disruptive in the dark
- The white noise is on a loop, meaning the same track of white noise is looped together and some may notice that
- The batteries drain quickly and extras should be packed if you’re camping or sleeping someplace without an electrical outlet
- Based on reviews, the quality seems to be hit or miss – it doesn’t necessarily seem built to last
I’ve personally used the HoMedics SoundSpa for several years and am very familiar with all of the features and functionality. It’s a very simple and straightforward sound machine that offers six different sound options and a volume range that goes up to about 85 dB.
There is a specific button for each sound and you can control the volume with a single knob. There is also an auto-timer feature that lets you turn off the machine automatically at intervals of 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes. If you want the SoundSpa to play all night you don’t need to deal with the auto-timer.
One of the biggest pluses to the SoundSpa is that it’s very lightweight, compact and easy to travel with since it takes batteries (in addition to an outlet option).
If you use the SoundSpa near your bed at night you’ll definitely notice there is a little green LED light that comes on when the power is turned on. This can be distracting or disruptive to some at night and people have recommended putting tape or a piece of paper over the light to keep it from interfering with sleep.
The sound quality may not be as high as other sound machines or white noise machines. Those who are familiar with white noise may notice the looping of the track. This means that the SoundSpa places a shorter track of white noise and then loops it back so it plays continuously. If you listen closely enough, you may hear where the track loops.
In terms of esthetics and looks, the machine has a bit of a futuristic design with white and metallic silver features. It’s round and flat and will take up a decent amount of space on a nightstand, but it’s subtle enough that it shouldn’t disrupt your bedroom design elements too much.
A Note On Volume
If you’re planning to use the HoMedics SoundSpa, or any sound or white noise machine, overnight in your room or a family member’s room, you should be aware of the volume level.
The World Health Organization recommends that anyone planning to use a sound machine for more than 8 hours should do so at a volume of fewer than 85 decibels. Louder than that and you may be putting your hearing at risk. Parents who put a sound machine in their children’s rooms should speak with a pediatrician about an appropriate volume level.
The HoMedics SoundSpa does not have a decibel meter on the machine, but you can easily use a free app on your smartphone to find the decibel level – there are many free options to choose from.
The SoundSpa can be found at a variety of big-name stores and is affordable with a price of around $20. It’s nice for a quick trip, but it may not hold out for long-term use. Most of the customer feedback I looked at said the volume knob is the first thing that tends to break on the device and then it can become an issue.
I have not had any issues yet but I do think that those who want a sound machine for a long time may want to invest in something that’s slightly higher quality.
That being said, if you’re looking for something light, easy to put in a suitcase that offers different types of sounds, the SoundSpa could be a perfect fit.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How To Hang Your Blackout Curtains – Just A Few Simple Steps! - September 9, 2019
- ‘LectroFan Classic White Noise Machine Review – Is It Pitch Perfect? - September 5, 2019
- How Alcohol Impacts Sleep – What You Should Know - September 4, 2019